Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012
Has anyone else loaded up drop pods with boomalopes and launched them at sieges and enemy defences?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Cost me over 50k in silver to do this, but it's very nice.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

StrixNebulosa posted:

I'm not that person, but I'm going to guess you're talking about Labels on Floor

Can't remember if it's lables on floors or another mod that does the same thing, but apparently it's bad for your FPS due to bad code.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Razakai posted:

Getting shelled by an auto mortar, defended by an inferno cannon and some small turrets. I sneak my colonists behind it, throw a smoke cloud and charge in... and the inferno cannon promptly fires directly into the center of the smoke, igniting everyone and causing them to flee out of the smoke and into the other turrets. This would be salvageable, except the mortar then exploded, leaving almost everyone incapacitated, missing limbs and bleeding out. It would probably be salvageable with 2-3 deaths, but I was annoyed enough at the cannon blatantly ignoring my smoke to start up a new colony anyway.

Either Use mortars to kill mech clusters or "call for help" and use your allies as distraction/cover. Alternatively if the mech cluster isn't awake yet, you can build walls/doors within shooting distance and use those walls as cover.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012
Autcannon and uranium slug turrets that shoot into a "killbox" area that's covered with sandbags really really helps. Just don't put your colonists into the line of fire because those turrets HURT.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Mzbundifund posted:

Yeah the embrasures mod really lets you make some incredibly unfair killboxes.

Yes but when you have a manhunting pack of 80 polar bears you want to be able to kill them all. And it helps buy time when dealing with other hostiles. Like 200 person tribal raid on top of a mechanoid drop in the middle of your base.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012
If you have steam all that should be saved online I think?

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Danaru posted:

Finally had a hostile ship show up, I uh very clearly misunderstood how to operate shields since my shield emitter exploded the second it got hit, but my lasers blew apart the enemy's local defenses, giving me an opening to send an Android over to board it.

The android I have building my ship is a T4 with a cybernetic arm, so she was able to punch straight through the hull of the ship and break the pilot's head, now I've got some free heatsinks and a ton of raw materials :toot:

Ship shields in that mod work by turning damage into heat and dumping that heat into the heat system if there's not enough storage the shields break down. If you plan on using shields you need a ton of heat radiators and a ton of heat sinks to store heat. Also of note, nearly everything that has to be build inside a ship can be walked over and stood on, and don't try to place objects on other objects (because of "replace this" mod) because you practically don't get anything back when deconstructing stuff.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Danaru posted:

That explains it, I forgot to put any radiators at all :frogdunce: Maybe I'll stick to armour tanking first

If you plan on armor tanking you will need a minimum of 3 wall thick to avoid getting your ship litreally cut in half by a laser in about 5 seconds. Alternatively, you could see how well the ED shield works against blocking ship weapons.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012
SoE combat is mostly about energy storage, heat storage, and heat dissapation. If you don't have shields or engines you're going to die. I find it infinitely easier to just send a pod over there and carve a path of destruction than trying to incapacitate the ship with ship weapons fire. The residents tend to not have EVA gear so they die quickly, just need to watch out for uranium slug turrets and antigrain warhead IED traps. If it's AI piloted you can just break in and hack the core if you have a guy with good science.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Katt posted:

Tatty wants to join blabla major natural disaster etc.

Tatty cannot tell you more about himself

[accepts]

Tatty, old as gently caress pyromaniac with bad lungs and a bad heart

A Tatty you cheeky fucker. You got me good there. Fair game. At least your kidneys and liver are still good.

I've immediately exiled people for that. I don't accept pyromaniacs and chem interest because I don't want them to sit there and eat ambrosa while there is a battle going on or I have pawns bleeding out.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012
You can also just chop off his legs, load him into a transport pod and launch him as a "gift" to someone. You can also do that with radioactive waste from rimtronics.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Telsa Cola posted:

Its all fine and dandy until you get a cannibal wave or its a siege of 100+ bionic up dudes in power armor with mixed infantry androids.

I really need to get into modding though to make those "gently caress your first line of defense/walls" breacher squads with rocket launchers and satchel charges though.

Another mod that allows siegers to build pod launchers to send suicide squads in would also be interesting

Glitterworld commando squad that drops into your storage room, shoots the place up, proceeds to grab the most valuable items you have and runs for the hills laughing off almost everything you shoot them with.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Telsa Cola posted:

You can get this if you get certain combos of modded bionics.

300% all around damage resistance is a pain to deal with.

Early on I let a trader get mauled by wolves so he dropped his beta poly spear. like 90 days into my game. I have a colonist with double archnotech legs and almost all the augments, her main purpose is running up and stabbing mofos and tanking/distracting so my other colonists can fend off the other two raiding parties coming from other directions of the map. She one shots most things about 25% of the time. Which is handy because I have the mending mod and my colony worth has skyrocketed because commandos get stabbed, then I loot their stuff, and it continues.

Here is a video of her after I augmented her and no she isn't fully augmented yet. Unfortunately dodge maxes out at 50%.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5jHvzMvMDw0

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Katt posted:

Unlucky.

Remove a brain implant then put it back in or put another brain implant in.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Danaru posted:

I have so much choice paralysis trying to design my ship :saddowns: I know I want four sections: MedSci, Engineering, Procurement (hydroponics, planetary resource gathering etc), and Tactical, but whenever I think about how to actually lay it out, my mind just blanks. :cripes:

By the way, you want your heat sinks on your outer parts and access to radiators or wall vents (to get rid of superheated air), Heat sinks WILL superheat (~450) the room they are in and will continue to do so as long as they hold heat. You also want rows and rows of radiators and heat sinks, radiators don't work as well with shields up but they still remove some heat.

SugarAddict fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Jul 5, 2020

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012
Salvage bays are weird. Sometimes they pickup everything, sometimes they only pickup stuff outside of the enemy ships hull, if there are active enemy units they won't pick up anything, and oftentimes they won't pick up anything at all.

1 Steel is like 1kg. 1 gold is like 6g, and 1 silver is like 6g I think?

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

Me when one of my pawns is horribly injured defending their base from attack

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BthNjd_jUl4

Me when one of my pawns is horribly injured because he decided to target his idiot tantrum on a loaded mortar:

https://youtu.be/EoKwX5fLJ5E

If one of my pawns goes on a temper tantrum and starts breaking stuff I just order them shot until they go down. You are more replaceable than that AI core. But at this point I usually have neural hyperthreaders in everyone and hormone regulators in the more complainy ones.

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

Sell it? 8000 uranium is a fair bit of silver.

You're going to need ALL THAT and MORE if you are making a spaceship or powered armor for all your colonists, or a poo poo ton of poly beta.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012
You're probably better off either getting a few very large spinal mount weapons and covering those with a shield and protecting the rest of your ship with a beta poly wall, or entirely encasing your ship with a poly beta wall and using non-spinal weapons.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012
lasers in save our ship 2 are NASTY weapons.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

My ship is all like, bugged out. Got into combat with a derelict frigate and I couldn't target any weapons on it. The frigate closed to plasma range then like, blinked out of existence according to sensors but was still present on the map.

Also my fission reactors don't seem to be venting to my heat sinks right. I've got a clear coolant path to my heat sink room but the reactor room still heats up to 85 degrees. Meanwhile, when the heatsink room starts to heat during combat, my listed heat on the ship combat interface is still zero?

There is a "Heat Network" you need to connect everything to. When it fills up, shield generators break, weapons will vent their heat into the rooms they are in. You need to connect everything with heat pipes or to powered hull or whatever.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Danaru posted:

:staredog: I just managed to face tank a ship's entire stock of torpedoes and holy piss it cut close

The bastard keeps scooting out of plasma range so I'll have to go back to the ol' faithful method of sending in my slasher android to rip her way into the bridge

You need like 10x the number of heatsinks you have. Also I have two weapons on my ship, a spinal mount railgun, and a spinal mount laser, can either use the railgun to shoot down their engines, or send in someone on a cargo shuttle. Just be aware, if the enemy ship successfully retreats you lose EVERYONE you have over there.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012
Engines count as part of the hull, so your pawns can refuel them without stepping outside if you build them as part of the hull, Just be sure to build airlock doors incase your engines get blown up because they're weaker than walls.

Also it boggles me that you would build heat sinks in anywhere but their own room because they heat up whatever room they are in to 400 degrees just by having heat in them, and it's not heat that goes away until the heat in the heat sinks goes away.

SugarAddict fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Jul 13, 2020

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Katt posted:

I don't know what I'm doing wrong but fighting a capital ship my shields can take about 3 volleys before they overheat. The room with the heat sinks never go above minus 150 and heat drains very slowly.
Everything is properly connected by conduits.

Electrical conduits or heat conduits? As for "heat drains very slowly", you need ALOT of ship radiators to be able to effectively vent heat during combat, less so if they're not covered by shields. Then again it could be whatever you're doing combat with. Dealing damage is more heat efficient than taking damage.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012
All I can say is "surround your ship in poly beta walls" and/or "bigass spinal mount weapons for more space/heat effiency"

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012
Are you sure those backstories are part of the base game and not added by a mod?

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Leal posted:

Mining colony has practically strip mined everything that doesn't directly border the base. After all that mining I found a whopping... 2 plasteel tiles. Thats fine I can just start deep dril- oh right deep drilling sucks now.

At least deep drilling you get pratically infinite resources, you need a few people just scanning because it takes a week to find one deposit assuming you don't have workers with 1000% work speed.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

I again recommend long range scanning as a generally better alternative to deep drilling, especially as you are already using things which enhance your strategic mobility.

I generally don't use the long range scanner simply because having colonists on a trip means those colonists aren't there to defend the colony or may be ambushed on their way there or on the way back, until I have like 400 emergency meals saved up (which is hard to do), I'm not inclined to have colonists leave my colony on anything other than a very necessary trading trip or a quest that I know they won't horribly die on.

SugarAddict fucked around with this message at 12:42 on Jul 23, 2020

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

If you keep the caravan size down it is extremely unlikely they will attract attention. And you can also fire them there (and back) with drop pods if you want to trade steel for other resources.

Plus I'm fairly sure colonists who aren't in the colony will not contribute to the raid size calculations so raids should be slightly smaller with fewer colonists on map.

If you didn't underestimate the amount of crap and organs I have laying around from raiders I would believe this, my colonists aren't worth that much until they become bionic gods. I should probably remove "mend and recycle" mod, or use the fueled version.

Also I don't often live in mountains so assholes in drop pods that rain from the sky into my colony is a real thing on non mountain maps, and those are usually my primary concern, unless I'm in a mountain then it's raids with diggers and infestations.

But with my current mods the two MAJOR causes of concern are rabbit assaults and glitterworld commando raids. I'm not sure why I torture myself so with these mods.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

QuarkJets posted:

I think it'd be better to have like just 1 or 2 overpowered colonists instead of an entire squad of them but that's just me

I tend to super-borg my entire colony because why not? also because it makes my colonists better and more survivable in general. 500% movespeed means you can generally outrun most things trying to kill you.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

jokes posted:

To revisit this death tunnel, that's 100% the best way to deal with absurd infestations. Just a huge door/wall on either side of a burning fire and you smoke those fuckers out.

Are there any doors/mods that let you have remote controlled doors, or walls that can be raised/lowed?

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Inacio posted:

by the way LWM's Deep Storage is the best extra storage mod i've used so far. you can save space at the cost of time, so it's not as cheaty as everything else

I had to turn off the storage time calculations because when I load up a caravan or a cargo shuttle to sell the 100 pieces of nano armor from the last glitterworld commando raid the game freezes between 30 seconds and a few minutes then resumes at a chugging pace while my colony moves stuff to the shuttle.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Leal posted:

Let's remove gunpowder recipes. Cause its not realistic that people know how to make gunpowder :downs:

Let's remove all experience gain while we are at it, none of your colonists know how to cook? I hope you enjoy starving. Also no one is skilled enough to know how to make anything more complex than tribal stuff, pemmican? whats that?

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

PMush Perfect posted:

Results: The only damage anyone took was my poor dumbass who opened the wall takings couple hits as he was fleeing. That and a single turret, but that’s what they’re there for, so I’m happy. Got a couple robot alien corpses I have no idea what to do with and the ancient soldiers didn’t even have cool weapons.

I must be a cat, because the real present was the box the toys came in. Several hundred limestone and steel completely free? Yes please.

You can remotely take down walls by ordering someone to shoot the wall from a distance until it crumbles.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

multijoe posted:

I didn't experience any notable bugs(!) and the offence/defence thing seemed to be working as intended but yeah I don't know if I'd play with it again, the way they just moved in and steamrolled me was ruthless which was a novel experience but also a 12 hour colony down the pan because of one lapse of foresight

That said, watching the bugs just go full Zerg mode across the entire region was pretty cool, by the time I finished running it there wasn't a single non-bug creature left on the map

If you encounter an enemy or enemy attack you can't win against, your best bet is to form a caravan and run, or use transport pods to flee the map. If you can, grab food and components to take with you.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Synnr posted:

Ah whoops! Thought that was optional but perhaps I misunderstood.

Side question, any of the common popular mods screw up operation bills? One of my guys ate a fireball that... shredded his brain. I can't actually pop him open up stick a chip or anything in there, it just didn't do the drop down menu at all. I use EPOE, but I stuck in Scar Removal someone had linked and maybe it's just breaking something, I assumed I would have an operation to do the scar removal.

Use medipod mod that will straight up heal EVERYTHING but death and bleeding out, be sure to reduce bleeding so your pawn doesn't die while being healed.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Asimo posted:

My willingness to accept useful Sickly pawns depends entirely on how big an expense a bionic stomach and two bionic kidneys would be at the time.

Do they have passion for crafting, shooting, melee and they don't have a trait that's "gently caress everyone I'm gonna do my own thing"? Bionics are cheap, being 2+ years in a game without a decent crafter passion pawn then only having 1 for 5+ years is very painful.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Nosfereefer posted:

otoh, quests will routinely throw thousands of units of plasteel at you

This is true, if you are lucky.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012
Animals will eat the first "edible" nearby thing when they are hungry, don't keep your beer, lucerfum, other drugs, and valuable food anywhere near they travel if you don't want them to eat it, which is why for most of my colonies I don't have animals. The general exception being that I need them for distraction/meatshields.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

multijoe posted:

Now I just have a single survivor left with several years worth of food, an entire arsenal and a menagerie of animals that keep wandering in

If you have the MAI mod and enough resources, and someone with crafting 8, you can Assemble your own colonists. With less expensive materials their learning speed will be slow. Alternatively you can buy new colonists.

SugarAddict fucked around with this message at 11:47 on Aug 8, 2020