Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Frankly
Jan 7, 2013
Psychic pulses are interesting. Currently 3 of my colony of 6 are locked up to stop them going mental. This includes my top 2 Growers and only skilled shooter. The remaining guys are either pacifist (this guy is also a Cannibal and head Warden :psyduck:) or useless with guns (one nearly got knocked out by a deer while hunting).

With the prisoner's moods increasing very, very slowly I've sent everyone mining for more metal to build more turrets, god help me if I get another drat eclipse or solar flare. Meanwhile the potato crop was wiped out and I'm running on my food stores and squirrel meat :ohdear:

Frankly fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Aug 18, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frankly
Jan 7, 2013
I had to sell off my best chef in my last save because she got her leg torn up in a prison fight, the leg thing is harsh! I also sold off 3 of the tribals that I'd realized were never going to join me and half of the remaining colonists were on mental break watch and cleaning duties for a few days due to everyone moping around about it. I like to think they were just sad about the chef and her replacement's terrible, terrible cooking.

Only just realized with my new colony that there's a desert biome! With lizards and poo poo! :downs: It's got a lot of sand and little farmable soil (but more than enough to live off in parts). To go with something different I've built a large compound in the open around a geothermal generator instead of tunneling into a mountain. My first convert was a 11/11 Shooting/Melee Political Assassin who can only kill things (very well) and do research (poorly). Normally I'd just not capture him as I'm short on labor but after he single-handedly broke a siege and helped capture two more prisoners I've let him go murder all the lizards and bugs he likes so he won't get bored :black101:

Frankly
Jan 7, 2013
Yeah reloading defeats the story building I love in this game.

For instance: my farmer Draxx is buried overlooking the fields that she established and tended to after she tried to shift a mechanoid Scyther off of her lawn. I've made sure the roses by her grave are well kept as she was both a brilliant farmer and also a total bitch to everyone around her.

RIP 'unpleasant conversation' moods :toot:

Frankly
Jan 7, 2013

Sylink posted:

I hope vaccines or something get added, because these disease epidemics are annoying.

Everything was going well in my small colony, I was laughing at my one-eyed (remaining eye had cataract), one-armed and one-legged colonists attempts at hunting tortoises with a shotgun when suddenly YOU'VE GOT MAIL: HALF OF THE COLONY NOW HAS MALARIA :magical:

Mind you fending off a siege party that dropped in soon after (I haven't even researched mortars yet) with my best gunner down was very hectic. I somehow managed to provoke them into an assault by sniping a couple of their guys who had wandered off to munch on their rations in privacy. I really need to get some outer defenses up, currently I've just fortified my ramshackle colony with embrasures and sandbags like some sort of sprawling hobo space castle. FALL BACK TO THE KITCHEN AND REGROUP

Frankly
Jan 7, 2013

Geokinesis posted:

Looks like temperature is going to be a factor in the future.

Deserts look like they'll be even more inhospitable! This also gives me hope for building an outpost in the arctic wastes manned entirely by grim commissars and soldiers.

Really I have a whole bunch of "early-access" type games floating around in my steam library and none have impressed me as much as Rimworld has to date.

Frankly
Jan 7, 2013
I'm not sure that the fire's much use outside of a forest biome but it is pretty funny setting a siege camp ablaze and letting my snipers open fire as they try to stop their precious mortars from going up in flames. That being said I'm still not sure it's a super effective strategy and of course after the first few fires there's not much fuel left to sustain a serious fire. Plus any actual hits you get would of been much more effective with the standard mortar of course.

Seconding the musket fire analogy, I usually aim to build up at least one mortar for each colonist and have them all fire for a couple of minutes until sending high-priority guys get back to their work. Way more effective than just having 2-4 plinking away for ages.

Frankly
Jan 7, 2013
It always seems so awkward when I take prisoners from a raid that kills one or more of my colonists. I need the extra colonists so I have to be nice to them and have my wardens make small talk with their friend's killer.

The temptation to flay them alive, steal their organs and dump their bodies (in useful places around the map to one day drive siege parties insane of course) is too much sometimes though :rimworld:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frankly
Jan 7, 2013

Broken Cog posted:

Got a message about a Pop Idol on the run from a nearby group of pirates, so I decided to let her in. Turns out she was 80 years old, frail and with a bad back, and the pirates caught up to her long before I could intervene.

Sorry lady, I tried.

same

http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/261590659819751386/AADD227ADBC6A302EC5B78185D2B4D60D754CDFD/

Be thankful yours died on the way in.

e: "incapable of: caring" just slays me