Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
Just had a colony that was going well (kinda) but was suspiciously quiet, next thing I get some horrible spaceship that causes my pacifist crop scientist to go insane and beat his braindamaged tribal subordinate to death.

Then got the posse to go take care of the spaceship and the rest is history. History that ended in staccato minigun fire.

For anyone sitting on the fence, this is already a very fun game. Different and much better than anything like Gnomoria which left me a little cold, because your involvement with it is that much more direct, through the combat and equipment systems (the interface is also pretty solid, which is a huge, huge improvement over most games of this type).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Drone_Fragger posted:

Ugh, 120 colonists couldn't beat 20 centipedes, even when the colonists had excellent lines of fire from all angles. Centipedes are just broken right now. I'm not really sure what the tactic is for dealing with more than 3 or 4 of the things because eventually it gets to the point where you can't reliably focus fire them down because they're in an enormous clump of miniguns and inferno cannons.
How on earth did you acquire 120 colonists.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Pawn 17 posted:

Man, today I had just finished the wall that protects my colony and then some drat tribesmen laid siege to my base for almost a week, shelling me with mortar fire. I had 6 people manning various mortar stations of my own, but their aim was terrible. Once the tribe finally sacked up and came to attack me, I opened the doors to the colony and I took them down as they came in and in some alleyway shootouts! :hellyeah:

I also didn't quite realize that turrets couldn't shoot over stone walls, hence having the let the enemy inside before killing them. Any better way to do it with an open base? Maybe turrets just outside the wall?
I prefer to make a central quad with a No Roof Zone. Can put all kinds of stuff in there, from mortars to solar panels to growing zones, and have it protected more than just leaving it out in the open.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Slime posted:

You can grow flowers inside without needing a sun lamp?
In a flowerpot, yeah.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
Why is so much garbage being added to this game that was quite tight and good.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Flesh Forge posted:

Let's see what Tynan's doing toda-
"Added amniotic fluid spray to birth."

:catstare:

"Refactored filth to use ‘cluster’ graphic with defined color. Blood, pod slime, vomit, and amniotic fluid can now share graphical assets."

:dogbutton:
Right.

What the game could do with is QoL features for the core gameplay like weapon/equipment 'sets' for when people get drafted versus offduty, so using modded tools that give workspeed bonuses is less of a slog.

Stuff like a solid first aid system would also help players and raiders, especially on larger maps.

What we're getting is amniotic fluid spray clustering, life stages that raise the barrier to entry just that little bit to anyone who wants to add new stuff to the game, and increasingly intricate nuzzling algorithms.

Do we really have to make our workers clean up muffalo placentas if we want whatever actually cool stuff is going to be in the next big patch? Is that where this game should go?

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

LLSix posted:

What food crop is best for raw throughput? I'm making everything into meals so I am not concerned about the raw food modifiers.

One of the LPs I am watching said corn but according to the wiki potatoes grow twice as fast and harvest more than half as much so I don't know what's going on there.
It's potatoes, corn is useful because you can eat it raw without penalties in some kind of emergency.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Gibbo posted:

Check your dune. That movie is poo poo.
It's good, actually. The book is overrated and the film is underrated.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
Yeah on the other hand it means if you don't make Fort Knox by default you will get completely hosed by strings of raids followed by manhunter packs after you recruit one prisoner too many for the game's liking, at least on Cassandra Classic.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Geokinesis posted:

It really should be in the OP that if you don't want strings of awful raids play using the Randy Random storyteller.
Yeah for sure, but I'd gone for literally 6 or 7 patches without even trying Cassandra so I thought I'd give it a shot. It's even more casually brutal now, and on the also-recommended Challenging setting, you sure as hell can't get the research together to get off the planet before you encounter gigantic waves of enemies/packs of wargs/whatever else who will push your poo poo in pretty much on a coinflip as your snipers will either scare them off before they do lasting damage or miss once or twice and it's pretty much GG.

jBrereton fucked around with this message at 16:19 on May 4, 2016

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Fat Samurai posted:

Should I build my base into a mountain, a la Dwarf Fortress, or is it better to build outside?
A walled encampment outside is generally safest.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
I think the Tribal Embark would work a whole lot better if the game actually took shade into account wrt heat instead of having to try to rush 7000RP's worth of research or whatever it is to not die in summer 1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
Z layers in building games suck and I am glad this game does not have them.