Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Here we go, the game is now on a definite course for greatness!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Generation Internet posted:

I am seriously impressed with the amount of new, meaningful content this guy is managing to push out with every alpha, it's so refreshing.

Yeah, the fella keeps it constant and full of content. And the modding community is surprisingly active. I look forward to the actual art is put in to replace the placeholders, I'm very curious as to what sort of thing he's trying to go for, though I do really like the current look of it. Makes one wonder how much he can churn out in a year if he does this much monthly. As soon as my guys could walk around a space wild-west settlement with dusters, I was hooked.

Also, anybody playing with the modpack, how does one stop people walking through barbed wire? I'm thinking just placing it around walls I don't want destroyed.

E:

Lprsti99 posted:

NOPE. An ancient ship crashed next to my settlement, and was putting out a psychic signal that would eventually drive everyone mad.

That thing should be turned off, as described here since it's far too powerful.

HerpicleOmnicron5 fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Aug 13, 2014

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Has anyone seen the "Claim" button, any idea what it's used for? I haven't found a structure which accepts it yet. Events only?

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Lprsti99 posted:

It works on any of the buildings that spawn on map generation, including partially built ones. You've gotta drag select the walls.

Ah, I see. Thanks, I was only single-clicking them.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

swampcow posted:

This thread caught my eye yesterday, so I tried the game out. Those 4 hours went by pretty fast.

Anyone else have a problem with prisoners not sleeping in their bed? The bed is assigned for prisoner use. I have wood floors and a wooden door. Does that make a difference somehow?

If he's selecting the wrong sleeping space, designate other potential beds/spots as medical. If it's the only bed, you may have assigned it as medical. You should punish further non-compliance by assigning him to a grave.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Sylink posted:

How do I recruit more dudes? I capture people but then they go insane and/or die.

Either you can capture them, make sure they're happy in prison and indoctrinate them into wanting to join you, or you can purchase slaves and sell the captured ones.

This game is a tad grim.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

I notice you've decided to dig into a mountain there, doesn't that incur massive penalties to mood? I kept trying to do it in earlier versions, but my guys would just end up going crazy.

E: Just held off an attack, one guy got shot in the head with a sniper rifle, another lost a leg and will never become capable of walking again and the only one who could actually walk went insane. Thankfully the actual medic of my colony of six woke up before everyone starved. Now, I've arrested the guy who lost his leg to sell him. This game makes some good little stories.

HerpicleOmnicron5 fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Aug 16, 2014

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

I see, I must not have cleaned it up. Thanks for the info, limiting enemy access is always the toughest part of making a base for me.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

My guy who had no legs and was bedridden ended up being my last survivor. He was there from the start, and I was trying to sell him to slave traders. No ships came, so every morning my only other colonist fed him and spoke to him. When my only walking colonist died, bandits just kidnapped him and ran off.

The health system is great. Just need to be able to specifically aim for locations, and it'll be perfect.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

This is one hell of a starting location. Mountains are amazing, I am never starting a colony anywhere else!

E: Double amazing. Actually looking at it, I have two geothermal vents inside here. Superb.

Triple amazing. A third one I can tunnel to. I will never, never, never, have power issues.

HerpicleOmnicron5 fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Aug 17, 2014

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

I think it works better if each part of the zigzag is enclosed and has turrets inside, forcing the enemy to melee the turret and then explode. Turrets are fun.

E: Just bought two slaves almost immediately. Good lord, might I even survive a whole year?

HerpicleOmnicron5 fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Aug 17, 2014

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Rivensteel posted:

Can you post the seed/location? Maybe the map size, too, I'm not sure if that is required.

It was "genericworld" and it's the map size just below Large. I think it was 39.47E, 40.53N which leaves it next to a large lake. Absolutely fantastic location.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Uh, my guys in the wide open shouldn't be getting cabin fever, right? Do I need to keep a route out without doors to make them think it's an open place?

E: Removing doors fixed it. Make sure you have an open way out in order to avoid cabin fever penalties.

HerpicleOmnicron5 fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Aug 17, 2014

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Nah, it instantly disappeared when I deconstructed the doors to the place. That simply must be a bug, right?

And on the prisoner front, I suppose you can undesignate the space as a prison and then send them off to another place. That should be enough fresh air.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Sylink posted:

This game needs more factorio level automation.

There was a mod that added conveyor belts. Automation being optional would be cool though, I'd hate if it was like Factorio and only allows for automation.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Slime posted:

Oh man, that gives me an idea. Leaving corpses in strategic locations that your colonists will rarely tread, but raiders are quite likely to be.

This is what I do every time. I have a dark, dirty and cramped winding corridor that goes on for quite a way in all of my bases. They get mentally sapped, so when the first person pokes through the door and gets shot it is usually a guaranteed tantrum spiral for the enemy team.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

I'm amazed all this came this quickly after Alpha 6, and diseases? Organ harvesting? Peg-legs? I do not see what new features can possibly match these, other than simply more stuff. The game has a fantastic foundation, and if you do not own this game go buy it now.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Tias posted:

To clarify, I'm not wondering why people in a hard setting would use gunpowder, but that, in the age of space colonization, it is not a -newer- rifle than the Lee-Enfield that is in use.

The Lee-Enfield is cooler than modern rifles. And wooden. Wood is cool.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

bobtheconqueror posted:

Looking for some new mods, I tried out the Zombie Apocalypse mod that just got updated for the new version. It's pretty frickin' sweet, and adds another layer of tension to the game. You basically start off with a zombie faction that will attack you just like tribals or whatever, but there's an infection system, and the only way to stop an infection from turning someone is to amputate the limb, which of course doesn't help if they get bit in the torso. Also, euthanasing them just makes a zombie in your hospital, so you're kind of stuck having to make some kind of quarantine room with a bunch of turrets to draft your poor doomed colonist into.

Also, there's an event that eventually happens that makes the virus airborne. People don't get sick and die, but basically any human corpse will rise up within a day or so unless destroyed.

Wow, that's actually kinda great. Most of the time zombie mods are just kinda lovely things because "Zombies!:swoon:" But this one seems kinda fantastic once I get used to the new stuff.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

You didn't do this unmodded, did you? Either way, this is sheer madness and I applaud you.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Generation Internet posted:

Soon our colonies can have timeless god-emperors.

Oh man, that sounds great. Somebody has an incurable disease and you're out of medicine? Stuff them into cryostasis until a trader comes!

Your psychopaths dont get along with the rest of the colony? Freeze them until you want to sell a slave! Transfer a prisoner!

Low on food, but high on corpses which decrease the mood of most colonists (which along with hunger could make them all crazy)? Freeze everyone but the cannibal. Suddenly, no corpses AND the crops have grown.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

I hate micro too, but I always thought Rimworld was reasonable when it came to that. It doesn't force micro all the time, so I've always felt any battles were a good change of pace. The hunter thing you mentioned though, should be fixed as that is complete and total bullshit.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

tonberrytoby posted:

But even at 24° I still got "slept too hot" thoughts.

24 degrees celsius is pretty drat hot, so that's not surprising.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

neogeo0823 posted:

Oh, that's gonna suck. I mean, I can route a power line for the turrets to a switch inside the base, sure, but controlling lights is gonna be a pain in the rear end now. And heat/cold bleeding through walls is gonna gently caress up my freezer/cook station, which shares a wall with the mess hall, and it sounds like it's gonna make all the temperature appliances run a lot harder. Does this negate the usefulness of vents?

He better have it set so colonists will turn the lights off when they bloody leave a room. If not they'd be worse than children.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Flesh Forge posted:

I'm running a cannibal colony with the "Prepare Carefully" and "Winter is Here" mods for that glorious Donner Party experience and god I am super chuffed. You have to respect a game that actually allows you options like this. All my non-cannibals are constantly spewing puke everywhere - which just makes them HUNGRIER FOR HUMAN FLESH :black101:

I keep a freezer full of corpses, just in case things go wrong. To quote Alpha Centauri, it is every colonist's final duty to go into the tanks and become one with all the people.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Taeke posted:

Never played Ark and I honestly don't really see what it has to do with my post. Is it heavily moddable as well?

I think he meant to post in reply to the person who was talking about Ark being a good example of a development team.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

jBrereton posted:

Do we really have to make our workers clean up muffalo placentas if we want whatever actually cool stuff is going to be in the next big patch? Is that where this game should go?

Think about things a little. How easy is it to add a little effect to birth, and how easy is it to create a loadout system? He's just adding flavour to the game in a few minutes in between working more complicated systems. Its really that simple.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

You can separate roosters and hens. That is actually one of the most obvious things that most people have never thought of for games.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

I was having a great time, then turtles went crazy and killed everyone. Turtles should definitely not be as powerful as they are now, their bites are too strong and their shells are too protective.

Silver lining to this at least, it means that we can now tame them and use turtles as an overpowered army. Iguanas are also very powerful.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Geokinesis posted:

Yeah they would be great, assuming by the time the tortoises get to battle it isn't over.

Tame boomrats and boomalopes, make sure you train them in release and keep them living outside the colony.

Issue that makes them too powerful is that they arent actually that slow. Admittedly, my guy was 82 years old, but he still couldn't run away from the turtle. The game is so great though, and I'm honestly happy with it as it is. If in 6 months time Tynan decides that he's had enough, I'll be alright with it. Certainly got my money's worth.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

I've heard there is a cap on the amount of people you can get through slave-traders and events using any narrator but Random. Is there a way to remove this cap, or will I have to get used to getting prisoners? And is there a way to change difficulty on a save? I hate having tough attacks early on, but similarly I'd like some semblance of threat.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Popular Thug Drink posted:

if you don't want to do that, just have a day every once in a while where everyone hauls and cleans

I schedule so that two hours at the end of the day is cleaning time. Sometimes I schedule it down if we're clean enough.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

I build external villages with a mountain bunker. I don't like moving everything under there because its a pretty substantial resource and time investment.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

I'm quite proud of my little colony here. 6 colonists, soon to be 7. Got myself two grizzly bears and a cougar, though my brave Yorkshire Terrier ripped out 3 tribesmens throats before getting killed by friendly fire. R.I.P Babette, we hardly knew ye.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Tenzarin posted:

Your freezer is way to small to warrant 4 coolers! 2 is enough for a 10x10 room!

It's really warm at the moment, and I like very cold freezers. I turn them off and on as I need them, and like to expand the freezer over time.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

It's more nutritious to make kibble out of the corpses, that's what I've been doing and it's worked out alright for me so far.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

I recommend, for dealing with the bugs, you build a bunch of coolers with the hot end going towards them. That way, you can bake them without having to fight.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

I prefer taming dangerous animals before they attack my colonists. Now I have an attack force of 6 grizzlies and a cougar, along with 16 hares. Never going to have a hard winter now.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

That's the one thing that rubs me the wrong way about this game compared to Dwarf Fortress. The storyteller always just seems biased against you, whereas with DF there's a population cap that you can take off, the scheduled caravans and that's it. I wish the storytellers weren't a thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Lockback posted:

Which Storyteller are you using?

I'm using the basebuilder one. But still, that's not my point. Every storyteller will trigger events specifically to dick you over, not because the conditions are right for that event. In DF, you get invaded by a legendary creature if you tunnel down to a cave. You get attacked by the Elves if you piss them off and cut lots of trees. Here you get raided at random intervals, your crops die randomly, diseases are spread magically, wires burn suddenly.