Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

So I had about 40 tribals decide to come rough up my six guys.

I had, however, managed to acquire a pair of miniguns, and I'm using the embrasure mod to build better defences.

The results are... well... :stare:

The worst part is that about a quarter of them ran away throughout the fight, two thirds of them died right there, but the remaining few... They're wandering around, completely dazed and shellshocked at the utter carnage they just witnessed.

This game is loving brutal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

I notice you've decided to dig into a mountain there, doesn't that incur massive penalties to mood? I kept trying to do it in earlier versions, but my guys would just end up going crazy.

E: Just held off an attack, one guy got shot in the head with a sniper rifle, another lost a leg and will never become capable of walking again and the only one who could actually walk went insane. Thankfully the actual medic of my colony of six woke up before everyone starved. Now, I've arrested the guy who lost his leg to sell him. This game makes some good little stories.

Hmm? Not really.

The biggest issue with mountain bases is that they are really slow to set up. Digging takes quite a long time, especially if you want to avoid the penalties.

With an outdoor house, you put up the walls, roof it, and you have a nice house.

With a mountain room, you dig it out, which takes ages, line the walls, clear out all the rubble (or else you get ugly environment penalties) and then smooth the floor and light it up if it's a communal space.

A freshly dug tunnel is full of rubble and dirty, which is what gives you the penalties, also if your rooms are too small you'll get cramped spaces, and if it's not lit, you get darkness unhappiness. If you clear out the rubble, make sure your spaces are big enough, light it up, and smooth the floors, you get a pleasant environment bonus, and a spacious interior bonus, as well as being mortar proof and reducing the number of directions you can be attacked from.

Mountain forts are great but you probably want to set up an outdoor town to start with as it's much faster.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Though be aware that a forest biome introduces some interesting considerations for defence.

The trees will give attackers lots of cover, so you need to clear out some firing lines. Also the abundance of vegetation makes fire a particularly dangerous thing, which is another reason to clear out a firebreak.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Lprsti99 posted:

Alternatively, clear just a little bit away from the base, let them hide behind trees, and break out the incendiary mortars :getin: :supaburn:

That definitely works. It also helps to clear up the heap of poo poo left behind after the invasion is done.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If you're having trouble with the mechanoids, you don't want to fight them like raiders.

The big ones are slow, so maneuver around them. Don't try and have a shootout with them because they field the most powerful guns and have a lot more health than you do. Take advantage of the fact that their guns are generally slow to fire, pop out, take a shot, then get back behind something, use high damage weapons if you have them, shotguns, charge rifles, even pilae as you will seldom miss them.

The scythers are more dangerous but they fight more conventionally, good cover, flanking, and focused fire will generally bring them down promptly enough. They don't use cover, so try to take advantage of that and pour fire on them before they get too many shots off. Fight them in close quarters to even out their range advantage.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Slime posted:

Scythers have incredible range but suffer from taking a long time to fire. If you have a wall to hide behind and a turret/colonist in the distance to distract them, you can take them out with a pistol. Once you're more established, it's fun to make a big stone wall with a hole in it. Invaders will go through the hole, then come out on the other side right in the sights of turrets and will have no cover if you've cleared out the area. A centipede kind of broke through because it had an inferno cannon and a fuckton of health, so it managed to break my power conduits before the turrets could kill it, then it killed my turrets. Jerk. I wonder if the ones with inferno cannons are weak in melee?

In alpha 4, my first encounter with a mechanoid was an inferno centipede. I sent my guys to fist it to death and they succeeded without injury. I tried it more recently and they do have a pretty good melee attack, especially with their huge amount of health.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

So I decided I would mod in some things I wanted for the game, it's remarkably easy, the files are all XML for just adding stuff, so even with no programming knowledge they're quite legible.

So far I added some wall mounted lights, currently using the graphics from the industrial rim pack until I can make some of my own. They use 50 power and give off a mildly eerie bluish glow, they also don't have a very long range so putting them every so often in your base makes it look pretty spooky.

I also modified the ship antimatter generator to make an alternative power source, essentially it's a pile of uranium in a box with a solid state generator hooked up to it. Costs 2500 metal and 100 uranium to build, which I think is fair given how useful a completely secure, uninterruptible power source is. It unlocks with the ship generator tech so it also has a hefty resource cost. You can build it indoors unlike the ship antimatter generator too. I might increase the uranium cost but it's mostly to force you to either trade, or scavenge some parts from the outside in order to get it set up.

I'm also thinking of adding some new wall types with graphics derived from the ship structural beams and the outer edge of the antimatter generator, with functionality sets such as tough, fire resistant, but ugly (good for building sealed-up power conduits and exterior powered walls) and pretty to look at/fire resistant but not very durable (good for lining base passages with) and possibly the best of both but really expensive to build.

I also want to add a stone wall variant of the lit wall sections which won't transmit power, but which can connect via wire to the main grid (like a standing lamp) if there is a power conduit close enough. I think it would be useful for the exterior of bases where you have lots of stone walls but you might also want to light them up without a fire risk/giving cover/using weak metal walls.

The idea is the pack should be lightweight, close to stock balance, and easy to update. Also you can just pull poo poo out of it as much as you want.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

You can tell the warden to talk to them without trying to recruit them, I think, you can also give them nice quarters.

I think cabin fever takes a while to dissipate, also it may be that they are still in an enclosed space.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It could be a bug? Or it could be intentional.

You could always designate an outdoor garden or something with tables for people to hang out in.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The scaling based on colony wealth could probably do with a bit of a falloff curve certainly.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

In this version, intensity is scaled with difficulty, and the storytellers affect the selection of what events you get.

So a Phoebe Basebuilder start will result in fewer attack waves, but they will be of equal intensity to a Cassandra start when they do come.

The game selects how strong the attack should be based on your wealth, not your colonists, so if you build a comfortable colony with few people, you'll get wrecked.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Leif. posted:

Before grabbing a modpack, you might want to just look through the forums first for individual mods. I know for me, I like the concept of the modpack, but really when it comes down to it only wanted the Project Armory extra guns. I don't need 30234 kinds of carpets and 234 types of new flowers.

You can quite easily strip out anything you don't want by leafing through the thing definitions and deleting any items you don't want. Just make sure not to delete the base classes and you should be fine.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If you're having trouble with attackers, I edited in a couple of turrets to help.

They require colonists to man them but there's a dug in MG with good range and power, and an AT rocket launcher with good damage and range but low ROF and explosive radius. They help a lot against massed infantry and centipedes respectively but shouldn't make the game trivial.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

bobtheconqueror posted:

So, it looks like researching the ship AI causes the crashed mechanoid ship event, and the ship doesn't spawn any enemies til you actually attack it. I had a tremendous idea of surrounding the drat thing in a wall of turrets, which worked pretty well, but just before I finally finished building the murder dome, a bunch of tribals attacked at an inopportune moment and killed all but two of my colonists in a horrible gauntlet. Lost a few dudes cause they got burned to death before rescuers could get to them. All that being said, the eight or so turrets managed to take down the two centipedes that spawned, and a convenient slave ship passing by let me restock on people and build a space ship and book it.

You can get those without researching anything.

That event is why I modded in the AT rocket emplacement, I build one of them and siege the thing until the mechanoids come at me. Saves time and is more interesting than my previous strategy of having a sniper rifle and telling one guy to pick everything off from extreme range.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Katsuma posted:

Well, this game was fun while it lasted.

Played a normal game, and had a blast. Played with that goon recommended modpack, plus a few more Alpha 6 compatible mods, and had an even bigger blast. But the next day, I couldn't even get the game to load. Uninstalled, deleted all the configuration files, and reinstalled, and now the game just hangs every time I try to apply mods, even though they're the same ones that were working fine just twelve hours before. Sigh. Alphas. :(

If it crashes across a complete reinstall it might not be the game, could be a change to the computer that's causing it.

Failing that, are you sure you cleaned out all the game's data? I think it writes some data out of its installation folder because saves transfer between versions, check your documents folder and suchlike.

If it still doesn't work, try installing one mod at a time until it breaks, hit ` to bring up the console and check for errors, a lot of them can be fixed by editing text documents.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Alaan posted:

Other than appearance and being separate stacks is their any mechanical difference between growing berries and potatoes in your hydroponics table?

Berries yield smaller outputs, but you can eat them raw with no penalty. Potatoes give higher yields but if you don't cook them, you get an 'ate raw food' penalty.

I generally recommend berries as a stockpile crop because they don't go off and can be eaten raw.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

A sniper can sit just out of range and plink them off one at a time, but it takes ages.

Failing that, I'll shamelessly re-plug my mod which would let you build long range manned turrets to try and overwhelm them with sheer weight of fire, part of the reason I made it was because late game mechanoids are a bit unbeatable.

There's also a lot of more in-depth mods on the ludeon forums that I think help, embrasures do a lot to make fortified positions better, and there are all sorts of weapon packs that would probably even the odds a little.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

According to the changelog the game will have prosthetics you can buy from traders. Hopefully you can mod in cyberlimbs and make Adam Jensen.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Another small mod: Power and Light.

Adds a radiothermal generator, generates 1000 power, costs 2000 metal and 250 uranium, can be built anywhere, has lots of HP and is fireproof. Costly and will add a lot to your colony wealth, but invaluable for bunkering down into a mountain if you haven't got geothermals handy.

Also adds wall mounted lights, metal ones are identical to metal walls but they emit a small amount of light, and draw only 50 power, they're very efficient for lighting small rooms and long corridors, as well as for lighting areas without giving cover to enemies.

The stone version does not conduct electricity, but instead connects to nearby grids, this means you can run a power cable behind a thick stone wall and still light the outside. Very useful for lit entryways into bases and looks pretty outside.

http://www.gamefront.com/files/24430163/Power+and+Light.zip

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Aug 22, 2014

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Hagop posted:

Better powers roof drills are the best for moving full time into the mountain home. Like 80 metal and bam 5x5 sky where ever you need it.

I know there are lots of mods that give you options like that, I just wanted one that sort of keeps closer to the stock balance, which is distinctly against being able to turtle inside a mountain, so I figured the best way to make that possible is to make it also increase raider attacks due to the price of the thing.

Otherwise moving indoors is a bit of a no brainer.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Drone_Fragger posted:

Well, even with embrasueres I could not beat the squad of 15 hell centipedes. also I couldn't snipe them because reavers are deadly accurate and shot some guys while they were getting sniped. The main problem is the inferno cannon is broken as gently caress and basically makes it impossible to mount an effective defence. You can't even dodge effectively because the AOE is massive and if anyone gets hit by it even slightly they'll run around for a bit and become out of position. And then since everything is on fire you can't adaquately reposition your mans (Even though I make everything out of stone, including the floors). It wouldn't be so bad if the inferno shells didn't keep flying through my defences and exploding behind them. While this is cool it means it's basically impossible to deal with. Ugh.

Also, because everything was on fire, all my civilians ran out into the loving inferno to die. There really needs to be some kind of "don't go here unless drafted" tag because god damnit.

Like I understand you're meant to be using different tactics to beat the mechanoids, but they can literally just deathmarch into your base and because of the sheer number of the things it's impossible to kill them before they kill you, given how tanky they are.

Infernos are best dealt with in an area with no clear lines of sight, and a bunch of grenades. Cover doesn't work on them, but not being in LOS does, so if you pop out long enough to throw a nade and then break LOS, they can't shoot you.

Bonus points for using multiple colonists and waiting for them to focus on one, then popping another out to hit them from behind.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Drone_Fragger posted:

I actually made an attempt at this but the problem was that if I'm out in the open where I can adaquately flank, the supporting reavers absolutely TEAR through dudes because of their accuracy. Also infernos don't give warning when they will fire like the minigun wielding ones do (they don't have an aiming rectacale). If you spend too long shooting at them they'll fire without warning and the fire will basically render that stratagy totally worthless. Also given the sheer number of them, while I'm trying to focus one down, it's buddies have innundated the entire field of battle in a firestorm of bullets and fire. Like, I can do the whole "flank them while they're aiming" thing against groups of 2 or 3, but with 15 of the loving things in a block the size of my mess hall it's just impossible.

I feel like an EMP rifle and an emp grenade launcher would even the scales somewhat, and making EMP nades do damage and minor confusion instead of just a resistible stun. Alternatively, armour piercing weapons.

EMP rifle and GL I could probably do, gimmie an hour or so.

Edit:

http://www.gamefront.com/files/24430831/EMP+Weaponry.zip

Done. The weapons show up on raiders and I would imagine you will find them randomly on ships too, they are advanced weapons though, especially the EMP Rifle, so you might not see them very often. The GL fires a slightly reduced radius grenade over a longer distance, the rifle fires a very powerful EMP bolt at regular intervals over a medium/long range.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Aug 22, 2014

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I would also question the wisdom of throwing MORE colonists at enemies using AoE weapons.

If you throw ten of them at them, and then another ten, they will take twice as long to kill the twenty.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Just in case anyone isn't in on the changelog loop, next version is likely to include a dwarf fortress <material> <item> system, including for most structures. Stats of items and structures are determined by what they're made of, including durability, fireproofing, and prettiness.

So you can build silver walls to pimp the poo poo out of your colony.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Spaseman posted:

How complete is the game right now? It looks fantastic but I want to make sure that there is more than a couple hours of content. Especially at $30.

Depends how much you like dwarf fortress.

It's a solid, if not overly complex colony builder with a lot of challenge and a way to 'win' at the moment. It also makes a pretty good real time tactics game with the combat mechanics.

Every month or so there is usually a very good patch which adds a bunch of content to the game, the next patch looks like it'll greatly expand the building aspect of the game with the material system.

I've gotten quite a lot of time out of it, and the big updates make it replayable for me, even ignoring the fun inherent in the game as it stands.

It's certainly not complete in the sense of having everything the developer seems to want to add, but I would say most things that are in the game feel like solid standalone systems. Most of the additions are expanding the scope of the game, to me, rather than finishing off things that desperately need it.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

swampcow posted:

Has the developer said if he's adding z-levels? I'm satisfied with the game, but it would be interesting if that was a feature eventually.

Explicitly no, I believe. I can't remember the exact reason off the top of my head but I think the idea is that Z levels would overcomplicate the game or otherwise diverge it away from being the streamlined experience he's going for.

Zigmidge posted:

Maybe it's just me but it feels really silly to keep comparing a real time squad based tactics game to dwarf fortress.

It's certainly a different game but it's also explicitly inspired by DF, and hits a lot of the same notes.

Also I think the next update will make it a lot more like DF. The combat is the biggest departure but as stated, that's not what you spend all your time doing.

I don't think it's likely to become dwarf fortress, because then it would also be just as obtuse, which is something I think the developer is trying hard not to do. I think the goal is something that scratches most of the DF itch, with the bare minimum of complexity required to do that.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 09:47 on Sep 9, 2014

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I believe they only decay down to the last level gained, it's essentially a damper on leveling imposed once you get to a really high level.

I'm not sure if there's supposed to be an item being added which can give your colonists skill levels Matrix style at some point, so it might be bypassable with that.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Dirt5o8 posted:

So, I'm loving this game since the thread convinced me to buy it.

Questions though, what makes an area "pleasant" or not. I remove trash and debris from an area, say a courtyard with plants and trees. If I watch a colonist's thoughts as they move through it, it alternates rapidly between "pleasant" and "ugly". Whats triggering what? Also, should I be building beds in the middle of the bedroom? My dudes seem to lose the "spacious" mood when they get into their bed, logically placed along a wall. Finally, is there any way at all of stopping the power surge that dumps your entire store of electricity onto one spot, usually occupied by my super-star colonist?

This probably sounds really stupid, but they are likely being annoyed by the dirt being too dirty.

Essentially, your colonists will track dirt around as they move, including on your outside paths and such and I think possibly even on natural surfaces. This adds a negative beauty modifier to the area. Even if it's outdoors, gotta keep those rambling stone paths through the sculpted landcape loving SPOTLESS or your colonists will complain. It's kinda dumb.

It's also possible that some of the natural terrain is considered ugly, for some reason colonists are really picky about what nature they consider attractive. Generally you want to pave over everything with tiles, carpet, or smooth stone, and plant a buttload of rose gardens to make it beautiful. Most items in the game have a beauty effect which makes the surrounding area uglier or prettier, in the next patch this will be determined partially by material so you could build gold plated floor tiles I guess to make people happy.

Beds, I dunno about them being in the middle of the room, it's possible if the colonist is jammed into a corner they might not think it's spacious. It's also possible that they don't give a poo poo about the room being big when they're asleep, they care if it's cramped but I'm not sure if spaciousness matters when asleep. Certainly colonists don't care about darkness or beauty when asleep which makes sense, and a room being big doesn't really matter either to a sleeping person, while a room being too small to move about in/really stuffy and closed in does make it harder to sleep.

You can't stop power surges, but you can put your cables out of the way, behind a wall or something and keep your main pathways away from them, which will reduce their potential to do damage. It's a bit of a dumb event I think, or one that would benefit from a better power system with the ability to define sub-networks and put breakers between them.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Dirt5o8 posted:

For cave farming, which is a better bang for your buck: Hydroponics or fertilizer pump?

I got lucky in my current map and mined into a hidden valley with a nice little field in the middle.

Hydroponics I think is a bit faster but it requires a constant power source in addition to the lamps, also it costs metal to build the trays.

I would suggest that circular fields exactly large enough to be covered by a sun lamp will give you more growing space per watt, which is what you're probably going to be most limited on. Because you can't stack hydro trays every square, you need access ways between them.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Yeah filling out a sun lamp sized field is a bit fiddly, but metal is generally easier to come by than power in my experience as metal can be bought, while power requires constant upkeep which can require expanding your exterior base sections.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Solid silver walls and floor.

Swerve, tribals.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Personally I'd hang on for Alpha 7 and see if its features tickle your fancy more. The longer you wait the more accurate the impression you'll get and with A7 coming soon you might as well wait for that at least.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Tias posted:

I've "gotten in", as they say :getin:

This is a lot of fun already! What should I know as a newbie, so as to avoid some of the dumber learning curve stuff? DF old-timer, so I'm assuming them looking up to DF means there will be a lot of explosions in my future..

Nothing too major, actually. The main issue I would say is that the current version is a bit too serious (if realistic) about deciding how much the raiders want to invade and take over your home.

As in, if you build a nice home, every rear end in a top hat on the planet will want to take it off you, so play on an easier difficulty if you don't want huge waves of enemies.

Otherwise not much to really tell, don't get caught out by your colony optimism fading, you need to get basic amenities up quickly. Be sure to keep a close eye on your colonists if something major happens to upset them and try to keep them in attractive areas and well fed/rested.

Other than that you shouldn't have too many issues.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Yeah it's not the broken, unplayable tech demo kind of alpha it's more the fun, but not very large content wise kind of alpha. The systems that are in all work pretty well, game just wants a lot more content to be truly excellent.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Fermented Tinal posted:

Apparently in the next release this is going to be changed to population instead of colony value.

It should be a mix of both, it already is, I believe, it's just that currently it's weighted more towards colony value and it turns out that if you make a moderately comfortable place, it's enough to trigger big raids, and it's not very difficult to reach that level of comfort.

So next patch should hopefully balance it a bit more around the size of your settlement but pushing colony wealth is still going to make it harder.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Drop them in the mods folder, activate them through the menu. Most of the game data is stored in an xml-like language in outside files that the game just loads up and overwrites as necessary.

An AI core isn't something you can make, but one might... turn up, if you wait long enough.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Hav posted:

I've not been following this since I backed it way back, but I'm pleaed to see that it's still going. Have they made Steam keys available as yet for the earlier backers, or do I still have to download the builds?

Still using SendOwl. It's not hitting steam until the developer thinks its ready for massive scale uptake.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I believe a correctly categorised stockpile will substitute for a grave for the purposes of getting rid of the message, so if you're having trouble just dump all your bodies in a pile outside the front gate.

This has the added benefit of making visitors and raiders somewhat uncomfortable. Unfortunately it will also make your colonists a bit unhappy too so you might want to keep them inside if you do this and be sure to firebomb the corpse pile before trying to leave.

Edit: "Firebomb the Corpse Pile" is the name of my death metal band.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Sep 30, 2014

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Zigmidge posted:

What I need now is an incendiary charges mod so that I can string a line of corpses along my town's walls that ignite into an omen of suffering and doom as raiders advance on me.

That's probably about a two-line change to the blasting charges mod if you're curious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Slime posted:

Oh man, that gives me an idea. Leaving corpses in strategic locations that your colonists will rarely tread, but raiders are quite likely to be.

Raiders have the same mental effects as colonists so far as I know so yeah, that would probably make them a bit unhappy.

Even if it doesn't break them, if you start killing them as they come into the colony, it'll make their morale break faster and result in more of them going berserk/wandering around shellshocked rather than fighting you.