Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Sokani posted:

They changed this in the last patch, now revenants aren't flammable.

what the gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Isn't there the normal healing cycle and the one that heals long term injuries? I think you have to research that one?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Oh a nice (possibly 1.5) touch, you can now tell bills to deliver the product to a linked storage group.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

How do body modders feel about tentacle arms?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Revenants aren't (or weren't, maybe less so if they're not flammable) an especially difficult anomaly IMO. I think metalhorrors are harder and they're one you can get from a bunch of things.

They're quite structured in how they work, though you do ideally want some way of detecting them.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Oh sure, they aren't a pushover, but in terms of anomaly threats they're probably one of my preferred ones. The game thinks so too, I think, they are a bit easier to contain than metalhorrors.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Jack Trades posted:

Purely theoretically, how ethical would it be to use lovecraftian rituals to sap the lifeforce from the person that attacked you and invaded your home with the intent to murder you?

OwlFancier posted:

I think of it as high velocity community service. Shoot at me you lose 10 years.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Geothermal generators I believe are impassible, but flammable, so if the interior tiles of the generator go on fire you can't beat them out (because you can't get close enough to do that)

I'm not sure if waterskip or firefoam would work, but yeah you really want to avoid letting them catch fire.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I would also suggest having only one cable running directly out of the generator and onto the far side of a wall. To absolutely minimize the possibility of a zzzt going off adjacent to the generator. Do not put anything else near the generator and do not run conduit under any other walls of the room.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Yeah I had that happen to me a long time ago and it remains my primary concern with them. I don't think there are any other buildings that work like that in vanilla and for good reason.

Again I really don't know if firefoam would work because it might just block that too, but it's my go to for dealing with annoying fires. If you have anyone who isn't getting into fights then giving them a firefoam pack is a good idea.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Concrete works, although it marginally improves enemy mobility when crossing the killzone. You can also use an animal pen, which allows you to designate foliage to be auto-cut. You would need to enclose the zone with walls or fences however and peg the door open so that raiders will perhaps try to walk in rather than just knocking the walls down.

It's annoying that there is no vanilla designatable zone with the auto-cut functionality.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I just adjust the threat scale based on whether I'm enjoying the game so far. If I've been doing a lot of building or not managed to get any good combat pawns i might turn it down a lot because the raids are scaling off wealth too much.

I might also suggest "enemy self preservation" as a mod, it makes enemies run away when sufficiently hurt, which makes large raids easier but also the enemies don't drop any loot when they run, so it's not purely beneficial. Makes it so you want to produce your own gear a lot more. Also enemies up to the eyes on go juice feel minimal pain and so will keep fighting a lot longer.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Apr 24, 2024

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Jack Trades posted:

Yes.
By default, it scales the raid according to your wealth, both up and down, so that you get appropriate level of challenge (assuming that you aren't neglecting your defense).
How do you imagine the game will decide the strength of the raid otherwise?

Without wealth-scaling it will scale based on time instead, which will make the game more difficult as you will now have the added time pressure of having to keep up with the raising raid strength, that doesn't otherwise exists.

https://rimworldwiki.com/wiki/AI_Storytellers

If you are accumulating wealth anyway then the game is already going to scale up as time goes on, the problem I usually have is that because I tend to focus on the base building aspect, I tend to balloon in wealth rather quickly whether or not I have enough bodies to form a capable defence.

So eliminating wealth scaling makes the game easier because I'm almost always going to be richer than I am capable of fighting.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Flesh Forge posted:

yeah this is a problem for me as well, I tech up very slowly because I just prefer that, but I accumulate gobs of wealth from skilled pawns and high quality furniture and large piles of extremely good-smelling corn

The big trouble I have is I disable most of the pawn join events so it can be quite hard to actually get enough bodies. I usually end up relying on children.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Yes or I could just not disable those events. The point is that I enjoy small populations and having new pawns be something rare and valuable, I also like being picky, so the child route works well as I can usually spec them into something I want.

I could also not turn down research speed, but I again like a quite slow paced game, but this means that either I end up not doing very much, or I tend to balloon wealth because it remains fairly easy to accumulate good stuff from quests and farming even as I am not gaining much in the way of defensive capabilites. So adjusting the difficulty to match the way I play the game works well.

It's also why I like using self preservation, as being able to scare off raids at the expense of not getting any loot out of them is fun for me and also further makes pawn acquisition difficult as I have to specifically chase down anyone I want to recruit.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Taeke posted:

Is there a mod that can give me a map with a river delta like setup, or loads of small islands? I want to build a base that's a lot of little islands connected with bridges, preferably on the coast. I've got the mod that lets me customize the map size, and I know the island biomes mod mentioned earlier but that only gives you 3 or 4 big islands at most when I make the map really big (like 400x400 or even larger) but with a lot of water. Closest to what I want is the map designer mod where you can have a river oxbow that sometimes curves in on itself but that only creates one or two islands at most.

I could use dev mode to create it myself but that's a huge hassle.

Geological Landforms may have something like what you want, though I don't think it has a delta specifically. It does have an archipelago setting you might like.

Combine it with Map Preview by the same author.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

isndl posted:

Anesthesia caps it to 1%!

Recovering from anasthesia however I think just reduces it, so it is possible to knock someone out and then have them die when they wake up from zero consciousness :v:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

You can also grow nutrifungus in hydroponics trays without light, and animals can eat that with no complaints. Bit steel intensive but not particulalry power hungry. Haygrass in the summer is most efficient though.

I have a ranch going on a climate with barely enough summer to grow a round of corn (not always fully mature on harvest) and I'm managing so far. I am planning to lay out a fungus hydroponics bay though because I have had a few close calls on food for both colonists and animals and having that constant supply even if they don't like eating it is still better than starving to death.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Apr 25, 2024

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Oh yeah if you have soil you're not using for anything else you can do that too. I build mountain bases so I generally max out my outdoor soil on other crops. And obviously i end up with lots of steel :v:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The Oops! All Militors! mechanoid raids are very funny IMO.

Your best bet would probably be heavily armoured mechanoids to absorb shots and then just miniguns or explosives to take them out in droves.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Lead out in cuffs posted:

Yeah it could be a tweak so efficiency nerds stop building hydroponic swastikas.

I honestly wish that hydroponics had a self-lit version and also were impassible, to encourage you to build more interesting layouts than "everyone has to climb over the hydroponics trays you crammed into the sunlamp space"

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Deterioration rates are definable per-item so books probably just decay very fast because...they're books. If you throw a book in a river it will deteriorate very quickly!

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The advantage to the gauranlen trees is they function regardless of temperature, so they're useful in cold biomes.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I interpreted it as the conversion ritual involves using the moral guide's conversion ability, but in a better setting so it works better. You can also just use it wherever but it's not as effective without the ambiance, which makes perfect sense, that's what churches (the building) are for.

I also don't bother with gaming the certainty regen mood thing. It's probably more important if you are relying only on warden conversion power on a particularly strong minded person, but the conversion ritual does a big chunk of conversion power so it doesn't enormously matter if you just wait to do it a couple of times and treat the warden as a sort of maintenence effect.

I've also been running a multi ideology colony in my current game and it doesn't really cause problems socially? Some of the ideologies themselves are problems like I have a guy who goes ballistic if i cut down trees, but the colonists themselves all get along fine with being four different ideoligions.

I definitely would consider them being a tree hugger as a cost if I wanted to recruit one but that just seems like the system functioning as intended. Some people you might want to recruit have Bad Ideas that you have to deal with, just like problematic traits. Except with ideology you can fix them, potentially, if you're willing to invest the time. Or you can just not and deal with the difficulties.

It's quite handy having a transhumanist in the colony because they can build the sleep boosters and the brain tingler but the rest of my colony doesn't pitch a fit if they don't have one.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 18:07 on May 2, 2024

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The game would warn you about that because the game is a loving splitter.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The ritual has a fail chance but is vastly more effective than the ability when it works, which it does more often than not if you have a socially skilled moral guide and good environmental factors for the ritual. So what I would generally do is open with the ritual (so if it fails you don't really lose anything) and then use the conversion ability and warden conversions until the next ritual opportunity rolls around. If they still aren't converted then it's up to you if you want to roll the dice (you should generally be able to expect a good outcome even if not a brilliant one) or just convert them the rest of the way, but the ritual is certainly very useful. I don't personally find the failure possibility to be a problem? The outcomes are not any more catastrophic than the inherently random nature of the events the game throws at you. Sometimes you get good outcomes, sometimes you get bad ones. A number of events in the game require user initiation and can have negative outcomes or unexpected challenges to deal with. The game is kind of about responding to those.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Can you not make him hold an eltex staff or something? If psychic deafness just adds -100% then any equipment that adds % should presumably give them some?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It does not appear so:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Facebook Aunt posted:

Yeah, exactly. Lovecraft is "primitive" people encountering things they don't understand. Those things aren't actually inexplicable, it's mostly just unfamiliar technology and/or aliens.

Personally I was real disappointed when I got around to reading Lovecraft (after reading a shitload of fantasy and scifi) because it just isn't scary. Okay, so these are fish people, right. Oh, and this guy is also part fish person. And now the story is over. Okay so this witch is actually an interdimensional traveller whose technology looks like witchcraft. And this college student is having a nervous breakdown about geometry. Okay.

Big disappointment when I realized "non-Euclidian geometry" was a real thing and googled it. Oh, it's curves. The spooky city was built with curved walls instead of straight walls and it drove people crazy.

Careful, if you expand this picture you take 1d4 sanity damage. Don't look!

"cyclopean" masonry is also real, it just means big stones.

I like lovecraft a lot but his work really makes more sense when you know that he was just absolutely terrified of everything that wasn't from 200 years before he was born, and anyone he thought was too foreign, which includes the welsh. Everything is an allegory for social progress.

You read him, I think, because he is genuinely terrified of everything and he conveys that pretty well in his writing. Even if his reasons for being terrified are ridiculous, he has a good enough grasp on the feel of it to fill his fiction with that sensation.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 01:12 on May 5, 2024

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

That too yeah, man was an absolute wreck of a human being from a car crash of a family. Hefty dose of heretidary horror and also "what if the wokes come out of the sea and make me do a miscegenation"

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Kestral posted:

Are escape attempts by monsters on holding platforms similar to prison breaks, where every prisoner in a given room simultaneously busts out and suddenly has the keys to their room? Or is it per holding platform, so that only one monster per room will escape at a time?

It's all of them in the room. So be careful what you keep together.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I mean it has pig men and furry men and cave men and imp men but not specifically cat men or elephant men.

You could probably make anime catgirls out of the biotech stuff by adding together parts of yttakin and highmates.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

As it stands clones inherit their past social interactions, but not the actual familial structure. So clones are probably extra likely to gently caress their clone-family because they probably already like them.

Not honestly the weirdest thing in vanilla tbh. Highmates are shoot-on-sight in all my colonies because they come with a one shot mind control gently caress people up power.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Yes but they're weird. They are mechanically useful if used correctly but using psychic powers to make people gently caress is weird.

I only use psychic powers to kill people or strip their life essence from their body.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

You have to be OK with it at least if you want the meme.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It doesn't have to be required, but it does have to be acceptable at least.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Inadequately posted:

There may or may not be a mod for it, but I wish it was easier/more beneficial to run a multiple-ideology colony in vanilla. You can't assign any leaders to any ideology other than your main one, so you can only ever convert people to your starting ideology but not others, and there's no reason not to convert everyone ASAP since they get mood debuffs from being led by a different ideology leader (and several more from not having the colony run in exactly the manner they prefer).

Your colony can only have one leader but you can assign moral guides to any ideology that attains 3 members.

If you want to run a multi-ideology colony you probably want at least one of them to value diversity which gives some pretty major mood buffs if everyone's doing their own thing.

Also whichever ideology has the most members will become your "main" ideology so you can even adopt one of the existing ones if you want to.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

As I said last time, the ritual is a good thing to start with, because it is far more effective than the conversion power alone and the small chance of it regressing their certainty is irrelevant if they're already at high certainty.

I've been using primarily the ritual to convert people in my colony and it's worked very well. People who are very resistant to conversion probably need to go through the prison method but the people with 20% resistance from their ideology's apostasy precepts are still handled very well by the ritual.

I have found just rolling the dice a couple of times to be a fine way to do it and it also adds reform points.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It can be, although that runs the risk of them prison breaking and you then killing them trying to recapture them. Which is more severe than the downsides of the non-imprisoning conversion process a lot of the time.

By not imprisoning them they still contribute to the colony and it's not particularly onerous to run the ritual and conversion power a few times. Plus you want to do the ritual anyway for the points.