Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

CapnAndy posted:

I just started playing this because my computer is well past the end of its lifecycle and I needed something non-demanding and realized I'd never actually tried Rimworld even though it looked cool, and it is in fact cool! I have two questions, though: first, is there an inventory screen or something that I'm just... missing? Why is it so easy to find all my materials or animals but if I want to find clothes, weapons, armor, art, or useful items in storage, my only option is to zoom all the way in and click on stuff until I find it? And second, is there some easy way to throw away poo poo that I'm also missing? I've got a dump zone, why is there no way to just throw away ratty old clothing without playing a careful "now how do I make them throw poo poo away without throwing away the stuff I want" dance with the storage/dump zone settings?

You can burn ratty old/corpse worn clothing in the campfire or smelter in the vanilla game.

Also yeah those things are just harder to find, especially if you don’t split things into separate stockpiles or download mods to let you make bigger stacks of stackable stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

I pretty much always plop down two wind turbines, then research batteries and plop down batteries, then research solar and plop down 2-4 panels and that easily gets me through the the first few years before I need to get geothermal up.

This allows you to get lights and workbenches and a freezer up way faster.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Just put the solar panels near your base. Which you’re defending anyway.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

CapnAndy posted:

So pemmican... sucks? That's a weird choice for something whose tooltip specifically calls out that it's good for using as caravan food.

Survival meals are the better caravan food.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Somehow, with Psychology installed, I can’t get any of my pawns to stay in relationships and at best get like. One married couple per colony. Even with compatible sexualities.

But mostly they break up when one proposes and the other rejects them.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

I think the best base game melee weapon period is the longsword?

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Nelson Mandingo posted:

I checked the OP hoping to get some mod suggestions, but it got started a while back.

Does anyone have any recommendations for mods that compliment the vanilla+royalty experience, but aren't ridiculously overpowered?

The Vanilla Expanded series is good.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

HelloSailorSign posted:

"Set Forced Trait: Gay"

This is the end result of the Homosexual Agenda!!!!!

That's awesome.

Mace vs. longsword depends on some uses too - if you have colonists you know you are going to have near your prison for jailbreaks, mace is less likely to just chop off limbs.

Also, a +1 to the Vanilla Expanded series. I think that the Apparel is a bit bloated, Laser weapons seem interesting but I'm content with the charge series, the added animals I'm kinda meh on (I prefer Alpha Animals), and the Sushi/Stews I think add a bit more bloat than interesting things.

I also advise Giddy Up! to everyone for their caravanning (and HOLY gently caress THAT TRIBAL IS ON A TYRANNOSAURUS) needs.

I like stews mostly because they allow you to feed pawns human and insect meat without penalties.

Kibble can also do that, but for animals, but I tend to keep more herbivores as domestic animals than omnivores or carnivores.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Pharnakes posted:

Every animal can eat kibble can't they?

They can, but why go through the effort of having a pawn make kibble when they can eat straight hay?

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

The real pack animal answer is download mods so your caravans have chocobos aves to carry your pawns and aurochs bulls/triceratops to carry your stuff.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Why does auto food default to bringing meals instead of pemmican or survival meals anyway.

Why would I want to bring my perishable fine meals when I’ve got a stack of 50 survival meals specially for caravaning.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Behold: the most useless pawn.

She came paralyzed for 30 days AND is an existing pawn's ex on top of that.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

HelloSailorSign posted:

Children and Pregnancy is good, but it has tended in the past to be more buggy. Children, School, and Learning is more stable but has less infant and child stuff.

That said you can hook in Babies and Children or Age Matters to get babies and toddlers from CSL.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Also the quarry mod can get you chunks.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

I’m finally branching out from All Temperate Forest All the Time and man is it weird to go from wildlife everywhere to barely any in arid shrubland.

At least due to mods I have pack giraffes.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

strong bird posted:

i found one that works

says its for 1.1 but works so far on 1.2 for all the stuff i tested (gloomy)
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2020869152

There's an official patch for Vanilla Expanded.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2260012940

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

...man does central ac not seem to be worth the cost of electricity with Dub's Bad Hygiene. I guess it's to encourage you to use his other mods, but I'll probably just skip his AC system in the future.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Kibbles n Shits posted:

This information isn't visible anywhere in game that I can recall, but there's a time limit that starts after the pawn dies, and ends depending on the level of your autopsy table. It starts at a couple of hours or so and goes up from there, but I don't remember the exact numbers. The mod still lets you perform the autopsy job even if this limit is passed, you just get nothing from it.

Edit: Assuming you are using the "harvest organs post-mortem" mod and not some other one.

Also you aren’t guaranteed organs, with the odds going up with the research levels and medical skill.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

DoubleNegative posted:

Iirc, presets save colonists too. But a good general rule of thumb is to emulate vanilla.

Give everyone a starting weapon, ideally a Heavy SMG which is apparently super high DPS?
50-ish survival meals, which will last part of a season to give you time to set up and harvest some rice
An assortment of steel and silver. I usually run with 750 steel and 500 silver which helps a lot early on
Like 30-40 cloth so you can build proper beds on the first or second day
Parkas and tuques for everyone if and only if you're mad enough to embark in the arctic

You don't need cloth to build beds though? I assume that's a mod.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

I'm still terrible at this game and can't even take a 300% colony into the late game without reloading but two things that really annoy me about vanilla expanded mods are

1: one of them creates a changing that'll transform and attack at 0 hunger. That's fine but post transform it's an animal but if you kill it (or maybe regsrdless) everyone gets a colonist died debuff. Thankfully although it makes human meat there's no butcher debuff.

2: the wild west pirate faction will absolutely gently caress your poo poo absolutely up if you don't have good brawlers early.

The first one is actually a new animal from Alpha Animals, not something from Vanilla Expanded. You can disable that event from the mod options like with the other wild animal events Alpha Animals adds.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Does anyone know a mod that lets you choose which factions spawn? I feel like with all my modded factions I have too many pirate factions and would like to cut them down a bit.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

OwlFancier posted:

Unless you like hard rubberbanding on raids, yes. The other storytellers will always send something explicitly to kill you at regular intervals.

I’m always stuck between using Randy and the modded Perry.

Perry is Randy but with higher event and pawn joining frequency. I feel when I use Randy, my colony grows too slow, but when I use Perry, it balloons.

...I still prefer Perry Persistent generally though.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

That’s where having Psychology and giving them treatment comes in.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

The solution to this is to download Vanilla Brewing Expanded and to have your entire colony guzzling coffee and tea.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

ughhhh posted:

Pretty sure wood doesn't rot if it's on a shelf with a roof over it right?

How well do walls help in dampening explosions? I know stone walls are great as fire breaks (for wood and chem fuel). Trying to figure out the best way to store mortar shells.

Nothing degrades in a shelf regardless of whether it’s roofed or not.

Food (and herbal medicine) still rots on shelves unless frozen though.

(Note that rotting and degrading are different.)

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Yeah I don’t think there’s any mod that does what Psychology does? It would be nice if the original modder was still around to add new features and fix its integration with Prepare Carefully but it is maintained to be still compatible.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Lt. Lizard posted:

If the game doesn't spend at least 30 minutes loading all the mods each time you run it, then you are not playing Rimworld. :colbert:

:hai:

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

QuarkJets posted:

I start over at seemingly random points, like I've never even done any of the victory conditions because I just get bored and start thinking of what I want to do for the start of a new game

Same. By the time I get close to researching space flight the raids start getting too annoying for me anyway.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

If you're going to add a mod like Hospitality, what's the best way to make a visitor entrance so that they don't have to path through your traps and winding tunnel? I obviously have regular closed doors by colonists go through, but friendly NPCs ignore those.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Asimo posted:

As a warning, fertile fields changes the balance of maps quite a bit. You can't actually make rich soil and such outright without a lot of resources and research, but moving soil around trivializes some farm planning, especially on maps with sparse arable. Dredge up all that arable land, rebuild it in neat well-protected plots, boom. And then there's actually cheaty stuff later on like dredging out deep (ie, impassible) water moats and such to trivialize raid defense.

In the grand scheme of things it's not unbalanced really, but even if it's simple on the surface terraforming is still a functionality that's intentionally absent from the base game so it's something to really think over before you use it.

Vanilla Expanded Factions: Vikings maybe? There's a "pillage" raid type that's just a bunch of medieval level guys charge in and start destroying/looting whatever they reach first without the usual considerations of raid pathfinding. It's even more hilarious if you have one of those "minify everything" mods since they're just run in and start walking off with your walls and such. :downs: Not sure if it's something you can toggle in the mod settings but I wound up uninstalling it anyway.

I’m pretty sure my last Viking pillage had them carry off my sewage outlet pipe.

Alright guys, you do you...

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

But if I uninstall Minify Everything, Home Mover won’t work...

And thus Vikings have absolutely stolen my walls and left.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

I’m trying out Fertile Fields and holy poo poo are Plant Scraps annoying. My map is full of them and the only way to process them to fertilizer is to have some poor cook spend their entire life working with them on the Butchering Table.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

HelloSailorSign posted:

Vanilla expanded feels nice to me, though it’s true that if you’ve got a fishing spot blocked off in your base and a high skilled animals pawn, if you just sit them fishing you can get multiple units of meat per day consistently, seasons be damned.

The pawns that show up on quests who won’t do work will also fish, which can change their calculation.

They removed the later thing recently, it was a bug.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

How does trying to set up a Planet of Gays/Bis (tm) work with Psychology? Since it throws out the Gay and Bisexual traits in favor of Kinsley scales.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

I wish I could use colonist bar mods but for some reason they conflict with one of my ten million mods, leading to me getting unfulfillable quests without pawn names in them. :(

Like, for a noble’s upgrade, I’ll get a unselectable PAWN_NAME can become a knight quest, instead of Billy can become a knight.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Or play with Vanilla Expanded Brewing and have everyone chugging coffee and tea all the time.

Pawns can get addicted to caffeine but the downsides are so minor it doesn’t really matter.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

The other storytellers are designed to eventually push you off world to an end condition. Randy throws whatever at you, scaled to your wealth level without the goal of overwhelming you until you blast off to space for a reprieve.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Doomykins posted:

I grow a wide variety of crops because imagining my colonists eating the exact same thing everyday makes me sad.

Frances Nurples posted:

Same. I wish this was a thing that mattered, similar to how having diverse food sources improves settler health in Banished.

Good news.

Best used with mods that add more crop types.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

MikeJF posted:

With enhanced mod managers, what should I use? There's a mod manager mod, but there's also... rimpy?

Rimpy is what I use because it means you don’t have to start the game to mess with mods and then restart it to play.

My load times are ridiculous due to mods so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Trying my first mountain base and man is it harder to get everything inside when you have to carve it out first.