Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.
I've just started playing this couple of weeks or so, it's amazing and I can't stop. I'd hate to think how many hours I've put in over Xmas.

I've not really played vanilla either, other than the first few learning game where I was slaughtered in no time.

Should I go back to vanilla for a bit?...

Does anyone know when the games getting updated again?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.
I've never watched anyone play Rimworld before, I can't imagine that's fun to watch is it?...

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.
I tryed that and I hated it because of all the extra loving about with materials.

I had really high hopes for it, but it's just too much :effort:

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.
Is the dropship mod still broken?

I've not used it yet but after reading all the thread i really want to try it.

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.

wit posted:

What do you call bloat? I'm at 144 currently.

Mind posting your current mod list and load order?.

I'm running about 30 i think, maybe a touch more and im having some annoying errors which are why I've not added anymore yet.

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.

Azhais posted:

I honestly prefer the old blights, at least people would deal with it without me micromanaging. The gardeners don't seem to auto-blight cut so I have to pause and hunt down all the little icons in the fields. Just blow it all up and let them replant on their own

I still do that.

As soon as I get blight, i just harvest everything no matter how close to being finished it is and replant it.

I can't be bothered to micromanage it and if I don't deal with it right away, ill forget and lose it all anyway.

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.
I've noticed people going into a coma or having oxygen deprived brains recently.

Is that the death rattle mod?

I keep forgetting to check the medical tab on downed raiders so I'm basically harvesting turnips.

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.
The worst thing about that is I'm not surprised its a thing at all.

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.
I currently have a hauling herd of t-rex and triceratops. When the local wildlife decides to eat my haulers, they die and end up in my freezer.

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.

Donkringel posted:

Has anyone had experience with the Rimcities mod? I'm trying to get it to work but it keeps throwing out of range exceptions. I'm paring down my mods to try to find the problematic one, but no luck so far.

Did you have any luck working this out?...

I see it's a pretty new mod and I'm just about ready to come back to rimworld and it looks pretty drat interesting.

I've put something like 1500 hours into this drat game so far since the very early, presteam days and I've still not got off the planet once. I have this nasty habit of modding the gently caress out of the game and it slowing down so badly after a couple of years that I just get impatient and restart.

Maybe I should play a game with a more vanilla modlist and see what happens. I just want to get off the planet once but :effort:

(And holy poo poo that was a lot of reading to get up to date with the thread)

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.
What's peoples takes on clothing mods? I love the idea of decking people out in clothing that's right for their jobs but so many of the mods have massive bloat.

And how do you lot go about planning bases? Mine often end up looking like a massive mess and I'm very jealous of the really nice looking and well planned out bases I see on here and Reddit.

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.
Oh, I love the look of the autism bases, its why I'm wondering how people plan them out.

I tend to get a fair bit of extra clothing, or specifically armour from things like Rimsenal but I never know what's really better either. I think the rule of thumb is just best sharp defence right?

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.
All very nice looking bases. I'm really going to have boot this up again but I know if I do, it will be 4am before I know it.

That was also an awesome write up of the rimsenal stuff, thanks!

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.
drat it. I've been sucked back in, was up till 4am this morning. :shobon:

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.

Donkringel posted:

I just had to disable all my mods and re-enable them gradually while testing. I put rimcities towards the top. It still throws out of range errors but the cities generate correctly.

In addition the mod Lost Forest has been deleted by the author but still was in my mod list, so that was causing errors too.

Does anyone know why Lost Forest was deleted? It was a cute little mod.

I'm getting a poo poo load of errors trying to use it and nothing is generating. Do you have any idea what was conflicting with it? I've read more faction interaction causes some fuckery. I'm gonna move it to the end of my modlist and maybe remove more faction interaction. Won't have chance to play till probably Sunday to test it though.

What's lost forest? That totally passed by me.

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

So Muffalo sure doe eat a lot? I tamed four on a lark and I'm suddenly realizing this isn't gonna work out, given my map only has a 20 day growth cycle and my current two sunlamp grow rooms are dedicated to rice and devilstrand. Working on setting up two more but struggling with time/manpower and a dozen distractions.

Not even sure these stupid things are worth it, I should probably slaughter them and try again later when I've got stuff set up better. Though I'm also tempted to just start over AGAIN, maybe try an arid map or something for a change, I've always done temperate or cold. Seems like right around when I get to about 10 colonists and/or finish my second year I feel like restarting.

I keep doing exactly the same thing, I've restarted this game countless times and never finished a single play through.

I'm well past 1000 hours at this stage too.

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.

Jose posted:

I really don't need to but after rimworld of magic was giving me bugs that stopped events I got into the habit of playing in dev mode so I can see when errors happened and I keep getting one involving scheduled drug taking that i think might be caused by hospitality. It only seems to occur when I get visitors but I repeatedly get an error to do with scheduled drugs that doesn't seem to happen otherwise.

I might start a new tribal colony regardless and see if it happens since I added a couple of mods mid save this time and anyway I'm smashing through research way too fast as a transhumanist colony it seems

Is there a working dual wield mod? I quite liked whichever one I had that doesn't seem to have been updated

I actually keep getting the same conflict and can't work out where it's from. If you manage to narrow it down please post about it.

I couldn't seem rimworld of magic on Steam when I was looking for it the other day. But I did only check the 1.3 box, has it not been updated or does it use a different name or something now?

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.

cugel posted:

A skull throne mod not being a thing is surprising.

Bones of rimworld or whatever it is has one.

Edit:

In fact it's one of my most used resources. It's just like wood but not flammable. So I use it for doors, training artists etc as it's less hassle to use than growing wood and all that jazz.

Also use it as my staple starting resource for tables and chairs, most furniture actually.

Ragnar Gunvald fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Aug 10, 2021

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.

isndl posted:

I just put my butcher table in the freezer, the work speed penalty is pretty negligible unless you're a cannibal colony cleaning up after raids.

It's kinda negated by the time they spend hauling poo poo around to butcher it too unless you have autodoors and literally stick them right next to each other.

I put my butcher table and autopsy table from a mod in the freezer just for ease of use.

It's drat good to be back playing rimworld tbh, I only messed about with royalty and ideology a little on release but biotech really has sucked me back into the game again. Just trying to work out my modlist now as I keep running into annoying bugs every once in awhile. The latest is that half of my pawns don't shoot in my killbox unless I manually order them individually to shoot at a target.

Apparently it's something to do with one of the vanilla expanded mods I have. :effort:

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.

Dorkopotamis posted:

Speaking of slowdown... I've got an i7 8700K, which was top of the line before Rimworld was released. Now a-days, not so much. If I play a campaign for a couple of years these days and have a colony above say... 8 pawns: my computer starts getting the jitters. The whole thing begins stuttering obnoxiously. I hate it.

Can problems like this be alleviated by getting like... a Ryzen 9 7950X or an i9-13900KF or is Rimworld just poorly optimized for the late game? Is this a problem I can throw money at is what I'm asking.

EDIT: I run about 5 mods total, all low impact including Rocket Man.

I've recently upgraded to a 7950x and 126gb of DDR5 after running an older Ryzen and half the ram.

I've noticed major improvements in my performance and how many pawns my game can handle but I also suggest grabbing rocketman and runtimeGC just to clear some crap out once in awhile and free up some of the cached crap that's not really needed.

I'd love to tell you the multithreaded mod is amazing and changes everything, but I can't the drat thing to work right.

EDIT: just for reference I can regularly hit 900 ticks till midgame.

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.

Magil Zeal posted:

I kinda did the opposite, I took tree connection but added in all of those other penalties for flavor :v: Well, except turrets, but I'm not using turrets anyway because dryads are my weapons.

Sorry for the double post but forgot to reply to the previous mention of combat readiness check mod, it seems to be busted these days, I messed with it a bit and ramped it to very high settings and changed my storyteller difficulty etc and couldn't ever get larger raids, soon as I removed that mod though it sorted itself out, seems to be bugged and keeping all raids in the same kind of points value no matter what now.

When I started a solo mechinator run I was also getting raids of exactly the same difficulty right at the start which obviously I was struggling with having no mechs etc set up by my first raid.

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.
So, I've got something silly like a few thousand hours in this, like most people here I imagine..I've not played much since ideology came out, I messed a bit with the new one, can't remember what it's called and enjoyed it, but didn't get too hooked too this time last year. I did finish my first ever game though and did the archonexus ending.

However, I decided to support Tynan, like a fool, and got this on my Xbox too with Royalty and Ideology without playing it, but we had no internet the other day so I decided to boot it up. 30 hours later and my colony just collapsed (mainly I stopped caring because the Xbox was struggling with 20+ pawns and 600k wealth) and well, here I am.. hooked again and coming back to steam.

I certainly played the game a lot more during the Alpha build days, but holy poo poo is there a lot of new mods in the last year or so. That's insane.

Anyone got any really good suggestions for just "cool" mods. I've got the usual, like Rimfella, Rimatronics...the one with the build able planes and shuttle things, STS or something. (it's been awhile).

But yeah, what can I add to my game now, because.. Rimworld.

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.
I never messed with alpha animals of biomes that much before. Maybe that's a good shout. I did mess with them a little before but I've always stuck with standard forest stuff for the most part, aside from boreal forest when I've wanted a change..

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.
Any got any good race/faction mod suggestions aside from 40k stuff. I want some fun but weird/unique stuff. Non of that anime waifu stuff though please.

Also, suggestions for a new story teller, along the same mind or lines of randy, but not randy if that makes sense. I want someone a bit unpredictable who's gonna back off when I fail and kill me accidentally rather than force me off the planet with a raid the same size as the one that just killed half my pawns.

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.

HelloSailorSign posted:

Alpha genes adds several new ones that are fun, as well as many new genes.

Vanilla Races expanded has a few interesting ones.

Then RimRaces for non-genetype editing, they're true aliens.

Cheers I'll check them out.

I'm having a hard time trying to nail down a couple of conflicts I have currently, before I can enjoy a nice long game.

I've missed this in some ways. But it's still a huge pain.

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.

ZeeCee posted:

For what it's worth, in the bug and QA discord they've started saying that they've fixed bugs in the "Next major release" rather than the next quarterly hotfix, so I'd wager we'll see a new expansion in March.

I really hope so. I've not played much of the last update expansion but I'm on my kind of biannual rimworld kick again, hoping the new ones announced before I've hit another 200 hours in the game..

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.
I'd like to think that after 10 years, Tynans doing some work on a sequel, ideally a new engine with z levels would be amazing. I don't think it's really something that can be added that well to the current game but I could be wrong.

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.
Aren't there issues with common sense? I remember it being buggy/causing conflicts a year or so ago

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.

Duct Tape Engineer posted:

the big issue is that the game is all still single threaded, which is good for making sure things happen in an order, but sucks for things like calculating pathing for a lot of entities on a big map

this is the biggest change I'd like to see.

Even if he just (I've no clue if this would work) put different actions on different threads. Farming on one, pathfinding on another, combat on another etc etc.

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.
Yeah, I left a negative review for that months ago on the basis that the whole game is 3D Rimworld with less depth. Their community didn't like it but it's one of my most viewed reviews to date. I though I was spot on personally. It's ok, but it needs a lot more complexity, interweaving mechanics etc before it can really be considered on par.

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.
Rather than uninstalling it, go to the mod options and try the "lite mode" first. It reduces a lot of the mechanics..

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.
I love the idea of playing on rivers but I always get annoyed you have to be on one side or the other and it leaves too many ways into my base for me.

I've just restarted as a family game, characters based on me the wife, this is going to end well.

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.
My T-Rex just drank a £2k bottle of brandy the fucker.

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.

wit posted:

reminder that i thought antigrain warheads were to kill crops and never ever used them in my first maybe 2 years of playing.

Took me a long time to work it out too tbh. It's a lovely name.

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.
Recently I started watching an LP buy a guy called RatKnight and was enjoying it..

Turns out, he's build himself an entire Rimworld Universe with multiple LPs, all with recurring characters in it, so I've just started with his first series in this universe of his and I've been enjoying that so far.

The first series is "Logging Empire" and after that "Alcohol Empire" which I just finished and I'm now on the 3rd series.

His episodes are quite short and sweet too and very narrative driven, you should check them out. The very first few are only like 15m long.

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.

Lt. Lizard posted:

Go and install the Army of Fetid Corpses mod then. :getin:

What's this one? Not heard of it

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.
Dickhead. Just as a stop playing Rimworld and start playing Stellaris..

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.

Ms Adequate posted:

This is the first one he's dropped that hasn't been immediately after I've stopped a massive Rimworld kick and moved on to another game.

Also, cheese.

I mean, I love the game and any excuse to play more is welcome. Esp with new content. It's just I've spent another 150 hours playing it recently was going to have a break... But I suppose I still get a shortish break.

I can't imagine he's going to drop this for another couple of weeks at least so I'll have a good run through or so in Stellaris while I relearn that, then come back and enjoy this!

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.

jokes posted:

there will be a screenshot of a room where every wall tile is pregnant

Rimworld: A room where every wall tile is pregnant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.
I'm waiting for the new dlc to drop before jumping back in, but does anyone know of any mod that lets you wear a cape with marine armour? I want to do a Helldivers run when I'm back