Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arcvasti
Jun 12, 2019

Never trust a bird.
For me the best thing to do to reduce the scaling was just to have less pawns. The raids really start being ridiculous if you have more then like twelve pawns. If you keep at around 8-10 then things are much more reasonable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arcvasti
Jun 12, 2019

Never trust a bird.

Dreamsicle posted:

One more question, when I start going deep into the modding rabbit hole, what popular mods should I avoid?

Everything from 'Vanilla Expanded'.

Arcvasti
Jun 12, 2019

Never trust a bird.

QuarkJets posted:

I'll sign on to this, with the caveat that enabling one Vanilla Expanded mod can be enjoyable. Most Vanilla Expanded mods are just a lot of graphical fluff that don't add much to the game but I like Vanilla Factions Expanded: Pirates or Vanilla Psionics Expanded as, like, a specific experience that I turn on for 1 save file. Balance is thrown right out the window with those mods but that can be fun sometimes

Yeah that's fair. My personal "one Vanilla Expanded mod" would be the one which lets you make weird animals with spooky science. It's not Alpha Genes but it's similarly named.

Flesh Forge posted:

it also fills some holes in the low tech game like using geothermal vents to just provide heat, as an alternative to just rushing geothermal power.

You can kind of do this normally by just building a room around the vent honestly. Very nice on super cold biomes since even with some roof tiles missing the vent can keep your greenhouse warm enough to grow crops.

Arcvasti
Jun 12, 2019

Never trust a bird.

Allyn posted:

Depends on the faction, there are some that are permanently hostile (savage and cannibal tribes, pirate bands), but the others can be swayed to friendly. And as a sidenote, turning factions friendly does reduce overall raid frequency (or at least it used to a long time ago)

If you have Biotech it's very helpful that you can befriend the piggos/neanderthals because their xenotypes are way nastier then normal humans in combat.

Arcvasti
Jun 12, 2019

Never trust a bird.

Chatrapati posted:

Until recently (break-up and a new introduction to the colony), every single one of my adult pawns was married to Ferdinand 'Harvey' Harris: a misogynistic tortured artist incapable of caring. Why does everyone like this guy! He doesn't even have an important role in the colony.

The vanilla romance mechanics for Rimworld are actually insane, yes. To the point where the only mod I consider a must have is "Way Better Romance" or something similar.

Arcvasti
Jun 12, 2019

Never trust a bird.

Kanos posted:

Way Better Romance covers this pretty well - people hooking up with each other will just go gently caress in any available double bed. It also fixes the issue where people who don't sleep can literally never gently caress.

IIRC a loophole for non sleepers where resting while injured counts as sleeping for that purpose. I remember seeing someone's post about their colony of ultra gene modded sleepless immortals where a part of the routine was intentionally injuring them so they could hook up in the hospital.

Arcvasti
Jun 12, 2019

Never trust a bird.
As someone who had all the other DLCs before Royalty, and then picked up Royalty later, the biggest difference that Royalty made was the quests. It adds a fair number of new quest types and also seems to give you a lot more quests then without. This effect is probably smaller if you play with mods, but as someone who plays almost completely without them, it went a long way towards getting rid of those stretches of time where I was just waiting for merchants/raiders to arrive or research to finish.

Arcvasti
Jun 12, 2019

Never trust a bird.

Eiba posted:

Occasionally a predator starts hunting one of your pawns for food. This is hard to prevent, but you can use zones to make sure your pawns don't go too far from your base, and you can get all your pawns together to fight the predator at once if you notice one hanging out by your base.

Low-key the predator attacks are the one attack event that I'd consider disabling. Unlike basically every other kind of enemy, they will keep attacking pawns even after they're downed, so they're extremely lethal. It's not like they're not preventable if you're paying attention, but it's really annoying having to clear the predators out preemptively every year, compared to the much simpler precautions needed for any other bad event. Even the widely hated events like drop pod raids or infestations just need you to plan the base layout around them beforehand.

Arcvasti
Jun 12, 2019

Never trust a bird.
The cloning obelisk sounds like you can use it for some shenanigans honestly.

Arcvasti
Jun 12, 2019

Never trust a bird.

Broken Cog posted:

I mean, you can just trigger the first tier of the Monolith and stay there, and you'll get the base anomaly events and enemies, as well as access to all the basic void research. It's more akin to royalty or mechanitor in that you have to choose to interact with it, though.

This is actually not true, you can get advanced entities even with the monolith still on basic. I got one of the obelisks + some second tier shamblers that way.

I'd also found basic entities before poking the monolith at all, but they were in an ancient danger so that's an edge case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arcvasti
Jun 12, 2019

Never trust a bird.

Jack Trades posted:

I was trying to decide if there's an ethical way to use the chronophage ritual, based on how the game worked.
Maybe if people dropped dead after 100 years or something then you could argue for using it on 99 year olds but not really if they have realistic aging like that.

Maybe on sanguophages? They'll heal back the brain scarring eventually and don't care about old age at all.