Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mindless
Dec 7, 2001

WANTED: INFO on Mindless. Anything! Everything! Send to
Pillbug
So a trade caravan that was leaving the map got assaulted by rampaging boomalopes. I got my colonists in the emergency mountain bunker and they were safe while the caravan guards took all the heat. Two died, one was downed, and one survived to escape. I rescued the downed guy but the instant he's done healing suddenly he's a prisoner and I get a -100 reputation with his faction. I never instructed the pawns to capture him, I don't even have a prison set up; he just gets out of bed and is suddenly in shackles. Anybody else seen this behavior? Should I just never rescue other factions' dudes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mindless
Dec 7, 2001

Pillbug
Nope, playing vanilla. No prison beds, so no capture option was even available. Maybe it was just a weird bug. This colony also had a weird issue where a colonist (my best gardener/hauler) shattered his spine and became a TV-watching organ sack but every now and then would teleport to the hospital for no apparent reason and need rescued.

Mindless
Dec 7, 2001

Pillbug
So apparently it is possible capture and convert a rival tribe's chief, but you don't get any more influence over that tribe even though they remain the chief.

Mindless
Dec 7, 2001

Pillbug
Randy's being a bitch this morning. Plague, psychic ships, and now the environmental disaster hat trick.

Mindless
Dec 7, 2001

Pillbug

Mzbundifund posted:

Dadgum, son. I assume that round building to the left is intended to be a greenhouse, and good thing too - you're not going to be farming anytime soon.

That's my devilstrand silo built over all rich soil maximized space for a sun lamp. Yields about 800 which is enough for about 8 outfits. I'm having power issues due to sudden desperate need for freezer capacity and that this position, while highly defensible and surrounded by good soil, has no geothermal vents anywhere near it. Also the dude laid out is my only gardening level 10, so it's just not getting off the ground this season.

Mindless
Dec 7, 2001

Pillbug

Volmarias posted:

So, unrelated, if you pack up your colony and move it somewhere else, does the story teller send raids of the same strength, or does it ramp them back based on the sudden and dramatic reduction in wealth due to not having all of those buildings?

I'm thinking of actually trying the Oregon trail mechanic once I max out research and turn my colony into a squad of Terminator Marines.

I had a colony doing fairly well but was unable to cope with feeding its growing population (mountainous, limited farming space, volcanic winters, and fallout killed all the animals and never recovered) so I launched six dudes to a flat site to set up a large scale farm to ship food back. Raids on the new site were small, only 1-3 pirates at a time but they all had good and superior weapons, unlike the awful and shoddy crap the early waves have. The original colony continued to get full-scale raids.

I'm having outstanding luck with a pair-of-cannibals starting scenario. No food scarcity at all since it pretty much rains from the sky. Other colonists who join the Long Pig Aficionados have plenty else to eat and the moral debuff from butchering human-like is pretty easily compensated for with nice, spacious rooms and a good dining/rec room. If they do go berserk, it's lunch time. There was only one incident where one non-cannibal colonist started a fight with a cannibal because she killed his sister (who was a raider). The only real problems have been muffalo getting into the luciferium. They violate their confined area to do it, too. Will they just go after it if it is stored within some range of them and they can "see" it (through walls)?

Mindless
Dec 7, 2001

Pillbug
My first A17 game:

Rich explorer, Rough Randy. A 17 year-old lordling named Raven with no negative flaws or health conditions settled near a river with lots of rich soil. Randy gave me a surprising lot of time to get set up, got a shelter up and vegetables in the ground and started grinding out stone blocks to build a big freezer and kitchen. Two other colonists joined - an old woman rescued from an escape pod and the other was a fat cook fleeing from tribals. Then I got a hidden stash event. Since it was only a day-and-a-half away, undefended, and had a crafting neurotrainer I decided to send Raven out to go grab it leaving the two new colonists behind to continue work on the new buildings.

About a minute after the caravan left there was a flashstorm that struck right next to the wood shelter. Everything burned down - generator, stove, all the food, medicine, and components. Only some silver and gold survived. The two mooks were wounded as they battled the flames and barely saved the crops. No beds, no food, no medicine, both wounded and exhaused, they both succumbed to mental breaks. The old lady wanders aimlessly until she passes out and gets an infection. The fat cook picks a fight with a cobra and ends up on the ground. The same cobra kills Raven's bonded pet cat. Then a pack of man-hunting cats show up.

Meanwhile, Raven arrives at the cache, loots it without incident, and heads back home with pockets full of neurotrainers. She arrives back home, having only been gone 3 days, to a burned out compound with one dead colonist and another one fighting off cats. He's downed easily as he was barely back on his feet anyway, and the cats come after Raven. She picks one off quickly but the other manages to scratch her before getting blasted. She vainly tried to rescue the fat cook, but without medicine he too succumbs to infection.

Two days later, having buried her comrades, Raven also dies of an infected toe from a cat scratch. The end.

Mindless
Dec 7, 2001

Pillbug

Danaru posted:

Nope, only in the middle of the room on one plane, then against the wall on the other. They look weird and off-center in odd tiled rooms :saddowns:

I put the double bed in the center of the room because I read at some point the pawns get the maximum benefit of spaciousness if you do. It also frees up the walls to put masses of statues, chairs, and spare fermenting barrels.

My starting strategy is to build a wood 8x8 shelter with beds, kitchen, storage, and stone cutting workbench which I use to expand that to 15x15 stone walls turning new space into workshops and freezer. Once I'm at that stage I build a seperate 15x15 building 3 spaces away with a dining room (doors near the fridge) and spacious rooms, then another with more rooms and a bigger workshop (and transform the starting shelter entirely into a freezer with double walls), then another that's entirely storage with a orbital beacon in the middle. After that it's just expanding living space, devilstrand silos, and border walls last unless there's some immediate threat to my garden (like a large heard of elephants). The garden strategy is 3x3 5x5s one-of-each and fits into my 15x15 grid very well. Placing turrets at the ends of the alleys between buildings and on the corners allows them to cover each other, and the grid system makes it great for urban-style hit-and-run combat that has been very successful for me in most cases.

Mindless fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Jun 6, 2017

Mindless
Dec 7, 2001

Pillbug
So have construction fail rates been increased? I've got a level 18 architect who has hosed up many, many attempts to build a vanilla ship reactor and has burnt through my entire stock of plasteel trying, and who knows how much uranium and advanced components. Isn't the cost of materials high enough without having to quintuple it with dumbassery?

Mindless
Dec 7, 2001

Pillbug

Keeshhound posted:

Construction success chance caps at 100% (around 8 construction skill, I think?) in vanilla, which means that any injury that effects manipulation will add a chance to fail, period. There's a mod I don't remember the name of right now that lets the chance to succeed go above 100 for that specific reason, but otherwise your 20 skill master builder who lost a finger to a squirrel attack two years ago will still have like a 5% of catastrophically loving up.

Good call. She lost a goddamn arm somewhere along the line but was putting out mastercraft furniture anyway. I never noticed. The hell, this game.

Upon further thought, she was loving up with laying floor tiles and I was like "huh" but it didn't really click. Details, friends, cost a lot.

Mindless fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Sep 26, 2018

Mindless
Dec 7, 2001

Pillbug

Phoenix Taichou posted:

yes you glorious bastards!

alright, this might sound like a daft question, but what's the optimal spacecraft layout? With or without SOS, because I know SOS changes how ships are built

Depends on how many colonists you're rescuing and how much safe space you have to work with. Start with the reactor, put an engine on the "aft" middle, sensor clustor and AI to either side of that, then bookend with two more engines. Then you can add struts along the sides, with two struts end-to-end on the flanks pointing "forward" you can get 18 cryosleep caskets on there, but you'll only need like 6 because everyone else will be dead by the time it takes off.

code:
CCSS    CCSS
  SSCC    SSCC
CCSS    CCSS
  SSCC    SSCC
CCSS    CCSS
  SSCC    SSCC
CCSSRRRRRRSS
  SSRRRRRRSSCC
CCSSRRRRRRSS
  SSRRRRRRSSCC
CCSSRRRRRRSS
  SSRRRRRRSSCC
    RRRRRR
EEECCCEEESSEEE
EEECCCEEESSEEE
EEECCCEEE  EEE
EEE   EEE  EEE

Mindless fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Oct 19, 2018

Mindless
Dec 7, 2001

Pillbug
Count me in camp urban warfare with flak vests for all

Detail

Mindless
Dec 7, 2001

Pillbug

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Thats a lot more access points for your colonists to go in/out than my colony has. Maybe I should add some more.

The downside is untrained animals opening doors at the worst moments.

Mindless
Dec 7, 2001

Pillbug

Viva Miriya posted:

Ok so we got the first perimeter palasade up and now I'm converting the walls over to your spec. Even got the maze laid out. Steel traps right?

Yes, and be prepared to pay for them the rest of the game. I went for deep drilling relatively early because it got to the point my pawns were racing out to cargo drops to pick up the metal slag before whatever was in them. Three centipedes got the furthest in, making it past the fourth turn.

Mindless
Dec 7, 2001

Pillbug

Well here's what it took to finally breech all defenses, but everyone lived. The river goes through a cave and every available space under the mountain became infested at once.

Mindless
Dec 7, 2001

Pillbug

Fat_Cow posted:

Any decent LP series out there that serve as a tutorial/are entertaining to watch?

I liked Pete Complete's Ice Sheet Survival series. He's really good with the early survival strategy but it is yet to be seen how his long game plays out.
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL_lgEqY9K6UXUVco5XysDNAeUnCqSFcqS

Mindless
Dec 7, 2001

Pillbug

Phoenix Taichou posted:

Because you get to see what's in the adjacent squares to one you've mined, I tend to strip mine like:

Once I research deep drilling and the ground penetrating scanner I just cheat and turn off the Fog overlay in the debug menu and mark off all the minerals in the rocks with the planning tool - it never made sense to me that it can show you everything below ground but not under the mountain. There's probably a mod that does the same thing only easier.

PS does anyone use the long range mineral scanner? Is it worth the effort to go fight mechanoids for whatever its found vs just going and starting a separate mining colony?

Mindless fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Nov 15, 2018

Mindless
Dec 7, 2001

Pillbug

Phoenix Taichou posted:

What's the difference between stumbling upon a map that has gold or the long range scanner finding a map with gold? Does using the long range scanner tag a hex that if you go there has a considerable amount more gold than would commonly be generated on a map?

When you use it it creates an "ore detected" map event with a potential threat and time limit before someone else gets it. I pick and choose my caravan escapades extremely carefully because of the food/medicine cost and how it balances on my risk scale, so I haven't been tempted to check one out; my guess is there's a big meteorite when you get there surrounded by assholes. By the time I'm scanning, though, my deep drills have me rear end deep in gold, uranium, and bug meat and at least keeping pace with my steel and plasteel demands. I suppose it might become less of a risk late game when caravaning is more affordable or if you're just hosed for plasteel.

Mindless
Dec 7, 2001

Pillbug
My current mod list still fits in a screenshot. Paint shop throws an error on load and I don't use it, so it's leaving soon.

In God mode I made a small house as an exercise in design, and populated it with tribals. Is it war crimes if they're native, bidden by their god?

The tribe had a surprisingly good skill-set for an almost completely random start, but in Prepare Carefully I fixed their ailments and traits. They are a married couple: Komodo and Seal, two lovers: Raven and Wolverine, and one loner: Sea Lion. So I set Sea Lion up as Wolverine's lover as well. He picked a bed with Raven initially, but I've switched them a couple times to balance their moods. Wolverine proposed to both at on the same day in the first month. My wife and I are watching this soap opera unfold as we wonder Who Will He Marry First and What Happens Next and Will they be Eaten by Tyranosaurs?

Mindless
Dec 7, 2001

Pillbug
So the Chest Deep Water is Impassible mod is a game changer:

Can't say I don't like it, though.

If you can't tell from the screenshot, I've built bridges with walls into the shallow moving water except for a path 1 tile wide. The mod also reduces move speed through water, so it's a slow walk around the wall. There's a line of turrets and sandbags (before I realized the half-walls from Zen Garden have the same cover and look nicer) creating a wonderfully deadly firing line for manhunters and melee units, and setting the bridge on fire is a great way to handle anyone who makes it around the edge.

Mindless
Dec 7, 2001

Pillbug
Hospitality mod highlight:

I get two separate single visitor events belonging to the same tribe. One of colonists starts a fight with the first, knocking him out. The other flees, but as he does scores the visit 100 and leaves all the beer I sold him. The rescue and recuperation of the beaten guest raises my reputation with the faction.

Mindless fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Jun 1, 2019

Mindless
Dec 7, 2001

Pillbug
Trip report: Razzle Dazzle mod

Compound of the Silver Girls: Channel 4

Skye, Cait, and Abbey are the originals. Gabby is Abbey's mother, who escaped pirates to join very early on, a sure sign Randy knew what I was going for.

The wedding of Lobster and Chili is the first successful wedding since Abbey's fiance Nathan was utterly vaporized by a missile attack.

Following the ceremony, Cait puts on a gig at the nightclub across the street. The transmitter is waiting for steel resources to be made available after the perimeter traps are restored (which are quite expensive on a flat map).

I guess they liked the show. She must've told them about the time she and Skye trekked across mountains to plunder an abandoned base for a massive stash of advanced components, meds, gold, and the power armor they wear to this day, and how they very drat near starved to death for lack of food and good planning. Having set up camp, Cait wandered aimlessly while Skye went berserk and killed the first turtle she came across, giving her the strength to build shelter and save them both to haul an immense load of poo poo back home. Meanwhile, Skye carries on carrying on.

Linda is on top of the world. She was the second join followed by her husband Diver, a lone ranger gunslinger who wandered in one day and apparently decided to settle down and marry the manic cleaning lady.

A few days later, Cait and Lobster put on a show written by Gabby and apparently being directed by Gabby. That show got a 10. poo poo takes so much longer to get done, but the only breaks I've had lately were from chemical interest. So far, this mod fits in well with my play style which is to just slightly break it in my favor. I already rushed the most powerful tool in any modded game: the washing machine.

Mindless
Dec 7, 2001

Pillbug

Paramemetic posted:

Do any of you skip the early survival part when trying to get to a late game? If so, what's your preferred method?

I will occasionally when I want to try a new mod and don't want to gently caress up a save, or just experiment with base layouts and designs. Just turn on dev tools and activate God mode, and build the base of your dreams. Use dev tools to build roofs and spawn weapons, armor and equipment.

Mindless
Dec 7, 2001

Pillbug
If it has an option to detect and shoot down incoming drop pods, I'm in.

Catching up with the thread:

Tilled soil mod + biosolids and irrigation from hygiene mod gets you over 400% growth rate. Great for small, condensed farms. Will overwhelm your fridge if you're not ready for it.

Dinosauria is great. The overpoweredness of the fauna is balanced by the fact that they will immediately, messily devour a freshly landed crack team of carefully prepared dino treats. Then you learn some factoids about yutyrannus. My favorite part is that a T-Rex doesn't fit into one drop pod, but will fit into two...

Mindless
Dec 7, 2001

Pillbug
UI/settings:
prepare carefully, RimHUD, RPG inventory, Work tab, medical tab, floor labels, no forced slowdown, no default shelf storage

Orders/tools:
Draggable corners, replace stuff, allow tool, terrain zone selectors

Pawn Behavior:
Better pain control, pick up and haul, simple sidearms, interaction bubbles, thanks for all the fish

Map stuff:
set up camp, Prepare landing

Buildables:
Subsurface conduit, single shelf, door mat, simply more bridges, ceiling lights

OP but cool:
Tilled soil, embrasures, rim fridge, impassible chest deep water, real ruins, crash landing, giddy up et al

Mindless fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Oct 27, 2019

Mindless
Dec 7, 2001

Pillbug
Hygiene got an update that organized everything into one architect menu, altered the research tree and added swimming pools. So far the pool is just a huge, expensive decoration so use worthwhile materials like jade and be prepared for a massive hit on your pumping system while it fills, or spend a summer defecating in the open.

Mindless
Dec 7, 2001

Pillbug

Tias posted:

Rimefeller users:

I seem to have a synthylene issue. I'd like to make some spiffy new synthylene flooring, and I've researched the appropriate techs, but my synthylene plant, in spite of being well supplied with chemfuel, electricity etc. does not seem to put out any. Is there something apart from setting the job in my resource console I have to do here :confused:

I'm assuming you know someone needs to man the resource console for it to work... Did you install a resource loading bay next to the factory that's set to accept the product? Also, I think those factories need 2000 W when they're actually running (they only idle at 50 W), so if you don't have a lot of excess in your grid that might be it.

Mindless
Dec 7, 2001

Pillbug
Mage King 'Undie' has sent his friend Tucker to stay for a week in exchange for advanced components and a power cell. Tucker was an abandoned orphan and banished. He's a slow learner but a hard worker except he almost no skills available to him and only one flame in animal handling. His quest says he won't work, but he loving loves fishing. This is a starting settlement with just one building and a farm. Its cluttered and dirty and quarters are cramped. But he's leaving with 1 extra skill point and a good as full happy meter, and my freezer full of trout, perch, and eels from the muck pond I drain my sewage into. The shuttle's here, but he's still fishing. Just one more catch.

Mindless
Dec 7, 2001

Pillbug

Facebook Aunt posted:

You could pack up and leave. Sometimes a map isn't worth saving.

I started a Naked and Alone, Blood and Dust, random location, no prepare carefully (though I rolled until I got someone who wouldn't immediately die). Real Ruins provided a good bed and dresser in an easily roofed area right next to some good mining and the only patch of dirt in the desert. First night, a T1 Android with a knife attacked before she could get the door up, and there was zero chance of her downing it with a short bow before it ripped her up. So I formed a caravan, grabbed a dead lizard and hosed off outa there. Made her way down the river, set up camp to cook and hunt deer for a loin cloth, then continued on to where the river meets the lake in a boreal forest to set up a shack. A surgeon named Marty joined that night, and she immediately broke to insult him. I caravaned him off the map for a day until she cooled down.

Yvonne was later trampled by muffalo in an attempt to rescue a downed refugee. Marty leads the Funland society to this day, who is otherwise entirely peopled with former law enforcement, inexplicably.

Mindless
Dec 7, 2001

Pillbug
Another thing you can do is literally cut corners - a pawn can see the beauty of a tile on a diagonal regardless of if it's in another room. So, imagine a T intersection between two bedroom walls and the main dining room with the middle tile floor instead of wall and a large statue in that place. All 3 rooms can see that statue and get the benefit of it. The drawback is if you do this for external walls you can see dirt outside and fire can get through it.

Mindless
Dec 7, 2001

Pillbug

jerman999 posted:

Can’t you drop pod stuff to empty tiles? Or can you only drop to other settlements?

You can drop pod empty tiles - but if you drop a ton of tainted clothes that you otherwise can't sell as a gift to a settlement you can generate tons of diplomacy points. I haven't tried it for a while (haven't been on any serious cannibal runs lately) but last time I did it was as if they accepted the base value of the clothes without checking that they were tainted.

Mindless
Dec 7, 2001

Pillbug

Kris xK posted:

I just hope we get some performance improvements for 1.3 but I doubt it.

sure looks like it:

quote:

Characters now render more efficiently (the game prints them onto a texture and render that in one pass, instead of rendering each body layer separately on every frame). We punched up their look with visible wounds, bandages, and body modifications, so you can really see when someone (or your pet guinea pig) has taken some hits.

also:

quote:

Fix: If an animal hauls a corpse to a sarcophagus, it becomes the author of the inscribed artwork.

why fix that?!

quote:

Fix: Word of Joy counts as a hostile act.
This one bit me in the rear end once so I'm glad it's gone.

The mortar changes will make them useless IMO. Using the intelligence aiming mod with10+ smarts operators AND editing the XML directly to make the miss area only 8 is still infuriatingly inaccurate. It can easily take 10 shots to aggro waiting invaders or take out dangerous mech cluster buildings. You could easily waste a whole mortar in one encounter if you only get 20 shots per barrel.

Mindless
Dec 7, 2001

Pillbug
I just got a new game started with Ideology. My tree loving hippies started day 1 in a rainforest building a -25 chopped down trees malus while making a pretty standard garden on some rich soil, then day 2 for some reason it zapped back to 0 and they have no problem ravaging the rainforest to grow drugs. Kinda weird, hope it doesn't reverse again though

Mindless
Dec 7, 2001

Pillbug
Mod fairy please let me pick a high vis jacket for my construction specialists vestments amen

Mindless
Dec 7, 2001

Pillbug
Favorite and ideo color clothing requiring 60% of attire to get one sucks because it forces you to plaster them in one color when they could benefit from both and not look like solid poo poo. I think the +1 should be for wearing 1 article that is their favorite or ideo color. Got a bunch of pink spiky technopunks and their favorite colors are various neons but making it look good doesn't get bonuses.

Mindless
Dec 7, 2001

Pillbug
An alcoholic guest arrived with his own fancy cocktails. I haven't really got digging into VE brewing yet, just installed it. I was too busy building weapons and armor and harassing the mech cluster that arrived next to notice he'd passed out in the dining room. Then it started hailing. After I dealt with one scyther and got my sniper into critical care did I notice him and get him off the floor. Well, after a passing trader pissed off the rest of the mechs, which really worked well for me as a distraction, the guests decided to leave, and left this guy behind. He eventually starts moving but so drat slow and getting pelted with hail - he's suffering withdrawal while carrying 3 Pan-galactic gargleblasters but has a 200+ hour medical status of having drunk one already and won't drink another. He almost made it off the map when a pirate raid came from all angles and just beat him to death. He's the only grave I have in this colony so far.

Mindless
Dec 7, 2001

Pillbug
A colonist's mother keeps showing up as a guest and leaving awesome gifts like gold and medicine. "Good luck with you drug cult, sweetie."

Mindless
Dec 7, 2001

Pillbug
gently caress can you not build a legendary doormat every time? Raiders coming for my new kitchen countertops.

Just thinking maybe it should mix with artistic skill to get to masterwork or legendary

Mindless
Dec 7, 2001

Pillbug
I decided to try a hologram start. Guess what I thought was a good idea but wasn't!

I forgot to prepare very carefully and one of my holograms is a body purist, so we only get her out for raids and parties. First day, a shuttle crashed spilling one dead and two living alcoholics into the ground, who both decided to join. They have been challenging, but at least on this map there's bananas forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mindless
Dec 7, 2001

Pillbug

Year 4 and I'm almost ready to launch the orbital afterlife station. I'm using the VE architect bridges(loaded after the fact) but there's hull plating "on top" of it. I bet the launch will leave a SOL shaped hole in the bridges.

I play on regular speed for only a couple hours a night with all letters pause so I can walk away without missing any trade ships, and I have logged over 2,700 hours