Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 23 hours!
So far this feels... a lot like Gnomoria, except probably less janky and with way more chaotic depth. I'm excited to mess around with the less hospitable biomes.

I got this after watching videos of one of the super early alphas and it's interesting how different of a game it is now.

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 09:20 on Jan 31, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 23 hours!
This game is loving insane. Put a colony together from starting with literally nothing and a manhunter pack of rats managed to down half of my stupid village of 8. Everyone was hurt and bleeding. Then another raid happened and my two survivors with bolt action rifles fought off 7 pirates armed with sniper rifles and machine guns while two of my broken and battered (but apparently walking) melee dudes with steel clubs randomly decided to join the fight and jumped some pirates who were shooting outside their hospital room. After that everyone was at less than 12 hours to bleed to death. Juggled a bunch of patching up jobs and cool looks like everyone is going to survive, just need like two days to heal and I'll be set.

Literally just a few (game) hours later another raid comes in, kills or downs all my dudes and lights my poo poo on fire and kills all my chickens and alpacas. Ironically they all get loving murdered by my animal tamer's horde of cougars and bears and boars and huskeys. But it's too late, it's 3am, I need to sleep.

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Feb 5, 2018

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 23 hours!
send em with kibble, they dgaf while caravanning if they're eating kibble or lavish meals apparently

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 23 hours!
On second thought, you probably could raid a tribal village, kill the inhabitants, butcher them for meat and use that as a convenient resupply along the way.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 23 hours!

Coolguye posted:

This is like saying that blowing on the dice and giving exactly three seconds of shaking in craps guarantees a 7. The numbers are very clear and so are the trail of bleeding bodies from extended trying. Do not engage scythers in melee - period.

hmmm my numbers are v clear and they say don't listen to this guy, he probably plays boring games and all his pawns still have all their useless limbs and most of their organs left

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 23 hours!
I see someone finally made a mass grave mod. Can't believe it took so long.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 23 hours!
I hatched a cunning plan to summon trade caravans (one exotic good and one arms trader) from factions that hate eachother hoping they'll kill eachother and I can just pick up the loot and some prisoners after. Tragically, they arrived at my base at separate times and got along with eachother fine. For a while. Then randomly something popped off, I heard gunshots, someone started firing an incendiary launcher and half of one of the caravans get blown up, my stockpile burned dow and my loving alpacas got shot to poo poo in the confusion. I did get a bunch of guns, loot, and a couple prisoners out of it, so I guess it is a viable strategy.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 23 hours!

Keeshhound posted:

Don't factions get pissy with you when their people get injured regardless of who did it, though?

Yeah normally. I didn't see the normal 'faction standing dropped by x' message this time, though they might have gotten lost in all the other messages.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 23 hours!
For whatever reason I've ended up with tons of prisoners this time and they're extremely unruly. After the fourth prison break I put the prison inside of a second prison, but I still have to send in a few power armored shock troops with plasteel maces to remind the prisoners who is in charge. I'm getting tempted to just throw a molly in during the next prison break.

On the plus side it's great training for my doctor, even without harvesting their organs.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 23 hours!
I just harvest for meat anyone and anything the moment they dip into my precious drug stocks

shock sticks you say?

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 23 hours!
random question but anyone know a mod where you can dispose of bodies by impaling them on spikes outside of your base

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 23 hours!
vests and helmet make a huuuuuge difference. Give your lowest range dudes a vest and helmet then if it's a siege, micro your guys forward a block at a time. Also build a simple killbox (even without turrets just having a 15x25 box where enemies funnel in 1 or 2 at a time ensures that your guys take minimal damage.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 23 hours!
The droids mod is... interesting. It's definitely op, you can basically strip mine a regular sized map if you just keep producing droids. That said, the droid upkeep gets pretty steep so there's a clock ticking down. You could keep a droid horde up if you don't mind hopping from map to map scouring everything. It also balances out by giving you 50+ man raids within like 6 hours of starting a colony.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 23 hours!
idk if it was the suicide or if an enemy had an mega launcher of some sort, but i accidentally ran a drone through a big raid, it got downed so I figured fuckit and hit suicide and it downed a quarter of the raid and damaged half of the rest. Oddly, I kinda like the mod.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 23 hours!
Just get anything off of the first 15 or so pages of popular mods on steam that sounds at all fun. If you avoid the outright cheaty mods it's hard to break the game too much: if your colony gets too prosperous, you just tart getting insane raids charging at you.

Also holy gently caress steel traps are good, I used to just make a billion wood traps, but god drat these things just remove heads from raiders like it's nothing.

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Feb 22, 2018

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 23 hours!

Ms Adequate posted:

How many mods can y'all run before the game starts to poo poo the bed? I'm a huge mod whore in literally every game that has them (Stellaris, TES, Mountain Blade) but for some reason I just can't get a functional RimWorld setup in B18 if I get more than a handful of mostly QOL mods (e.g. various additional tabs).

I have like 40 or 50 installed now? It wasn't until I added 10 bigger mods recently that I noticed the game starting to slow down. If anything rimworld seems really compatible with installing a billion mods, though it definitely gets increasingly cpu dependent.

I've noticed slowdowns are often 90% because of one mod, though it can be a bitch to figure out which one.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 23 hours!

Warmachine posted:

It also can have memory issues, which I think is a bigger problem for me. Yeah, things get CPU intensive with hundreds of world pawns, 20+ active pawns, all with speed upgrades causing new job calls every tick, but I'm legit slamming into the 32-bit memory limit every time I spawn a new map.

And, for what it is worth, anything that messes with the job caller will be your slowdown.

Ah it's 32 bit, that explains a lot.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 23 hours!

sucks to your rear end-mar posted:

Can I get a screenshot or whatever of your mod list? Sounds like fun and my attempt at a modded run ended in tragedy when I ceased being able to give commands about twenty hours in. :(

That's just dinosauria, a dog says, and expanded bionics and prosthetics.

Dinosauria probably gets my vote for single best mod that adds a whole new dimension to rimworld without really breaking the game in any way.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 23 hours!

Flesh Forge posted:

This works if you put the stockpile/endtable or whatever actually in the same room as their bed. It used to work if you did it the way you're doing (actually you could place them in the common room and it'd still work) but this version changed that behavior :shrug:

if you put a sleeping spot marked for prisoners in the common room area they'll all treat it as an old-style common room.

Anyone have any tips for managing large numbers of prisoners? I accidentally dug into like a 20x20 open area in the center of a mountain that I turned into a prison and I'm trying to keep 10+ guys around as backup, but they keep revolting like every two days and short of keeping like 3 or 4 guys with plasteel maces on full time prison guard duty idk what to do. I don't have the mod where you can just cut all their legs off.

E: also there are some mods on the ludeon forums that optimize the game pretty considerably (decreased rot decay tick rate and another that creates a separate processor thread for all plant activity that help a decent amount.

https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=31646.0

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Mar 8, 2018

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 23 hours!

Flesh Forge posted:

re: keeping prisoners in line: Give them really bling private rooms and a very nice common room with high beauty, joy amenities and free access to food and tables etc. At times I had 15 or so prisoners and while there might be a breakout attempt it was never more than 2-3, the rest were like "na man this place fuckin rules, you go ahead"

e: your colonists also use the common amenities room and tend to instantly put down any breakouts, and imo the infestations are more difficult to fight off in a bunch of separate rooms rather than one large one :shrug: also I think infestations are fun anyway, once you're at the point where you actually have to worry about keeping 15 prisoners around

What the gently caress I might as well just recruit them then if I'm making them fancy rooms. Maybe I'll just throw a bunch of food in an empty room full of sleeping spots, put in enough effigies that they're permanently broken mentally and then just put a moat around them.

Anyways, thanks for the suggestion, but that seems like a lot of work.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 23 hours!
Also the effigy mod is indeed worth checking out and for some reason it really makes the game a lot darker. I'm pretty sure I can literally drive caravans into mental breaks by lining the road to my base with enough of them.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 23 hours!
I suppose you also could keep them around if you wanted to release them later to improve faction relationships for some reason.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 23 hours!
Psychopath is honestly a wildly overpowered trait. Especially when human leather has like a 2x value multiplier.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 23 hours!

Coolguye posted:

well psychos eventually implode in on each other because they can't feel good about other people but they can feel poorly about them

this will necessarily turn into social fights of increasing frequency and that absolutely will cripple your colony

i personally consider psycho as much of a liability as pyro because of this; that person IS going to need to be either exiled or thrown in a cryptosleep casket in the next couple of years to keep them from being a massive colony disruption.

The key to psychos is to just keep 1 around. Social fights are loving brutal as all hell in rimworld, so you're probably kinda right.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 23 hours!
Yeah same with abrasives, uglies, etc. you can just put a workbench for whatever you want them doing all day in their room.

I've got the less brutal social fights, but I kinda miss the bionic limbed pawns punching noses and ears clean off of vanilla fights.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 23 hours!

TorakFade posted:

What is that mod? My Google-fu is weak and a quick search did not turn up anything, and since I have been "blessed" with a lot of high melee pawns in my current run, they regularly beat each other up within an inch of their lives...

Less deadly fights I think? If you search steam for fight or social fight it should come up. I installed it when pawns beating eachother to death was a regular occurrence. It's pretty unbalanced cuz yknow losing pawns to random insults degenerating into extreme brutality is apparently just a part of the game.

It's also a problem if you have other pawns prone to fighting because your psychos will just beat them to death.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 23 hours!
Oh yeah that's the one. I'm p sure it completely removes fighting from the game.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 23 hours!
It's not like they're beating someone to death every time, but even infrequently losing non-fuckup productive pawns is a major hassle. Like oh looks like my human butcher just beat my guy with 16 construction or intelligence or whatever other vital skill to death. It gets to a point where there is a lot of lost time in hospital beds.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 23 hours!

McGiggins posted:

That's an accurate representation of how things can escalate unintentionally in a fight though, so i don't like removing these things.

Losing a limb, life or organ in a fight that was only intended to be a bit of primitive-minded pecking-order clarification happens all the time.

yeah dude all the time, hell everyone i know is missing limbs, lifes, organs from fighting

what?!

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 23 hours!
rename rimworld australia, I'm totally convinced

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 23 hours!
I'm legit blown away that this game seems to trivially allow people to run like 200 mods at once, that's completely unheard of.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 23 hours!
Soudns like you have the pawn inventory cheated to some ridiculous level if they're able to carry that much. Or a really bugged mod.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 23 hours!

Cup Runneth Over posted:

There needs to be a more fleshed out crime/punishment system and if visitors start poo poo they should expect to go to jail.

All infractions are punishable by visits to the 'kibble and human leather jacket manufacturing plant'

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 23 hours!

Bocc Kob posted:

Is there a mod that prevents my colony's ex-soldier with 10 shooting, an assault rifle, armored vest, helmet, and cyber eyes from being mauled to near death by two loving rats? :argh:

just set him to stand and fight and he'll just kill them.

JonathonSpectre posted:

I watched a single tutorial about the UI before I started to play and I'm glad I did. Aside from that, yeah, go in blind and learn by experience. Bitter, hateful, awful, amazing experience.

Someone in here said to learn by just trying to kill off your first 5 or so colonies as fast as possible and that works pretty well.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 23 hours!
Dude made a game where you can play psychopath bloodlusting cannibals that murder their loved ones and pets for food and leather, it's amazing the game is progressive in literally any way at all.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 23 hours!
IMO the main advantage of steam sales is that it makes games so noticeable when they're on the front page of steam. Rimworld is a weird game and people decide to buy it based off of either seeing letsplays or hearing about it from friends.

besides, he put 5 years into the game (and legit made something pretty incredible with about a billion hours of replay value and unlimited mod support), 30 bucks is entirely reasonable. Afaik it is the defining entry in the genre that is actually playable by people who don't want to go down the dwarf fortress rabbithole.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 23 hours!
I for one am shocked that a jedi powers mod would be over powered.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 23 hours!
The dinosauria mod is amazing for that.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 23 hours!

HelloSailorSign posted:

Yeah now I just went and googled “deer attacks hunter” and welp, turns out Rimworld actually is real life.

Turns out that killing an animal with a single clean shot to the heart is more humane for the human as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 23 hours!
Also I like the bone mod because you can make black bone floors that look like asphalt and it's really helping my America colony stripmall play through out