Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

USMC_Karl
Nov 17, 2003

SUPPORTER OF THE REINSTATED LAWFUL HAWAIIAN GOVERNMENT. HAOLES GET OFF DA `AINA.

oxford_town posted:

On the official forums, word is that colonists require 27 squares of free space, so you need 6x5 (assuming 1 bed and 1 light). It seems pretty excessive, it'll likely be tweaked in future versions.

That is an awful large space, I just fired up the game to see how big and was quite surprised. I would think 13 squares of free space (so a 4x4 with a bed+lamp) would be ok, but whatever.

I backed this at the higher tier, $35 I think? I've been toying around with it for a while and I really like the direction the game is going. It's a much tighter and more controlled DF, which is a good thing in my opinion.

When it comes to housing I tend to try to build free-standing structures for everything. If I get far enough along I'll generally try to wall in my settlement, and as has been mentioned I tend to not rely on the Sentry guns. Instead, I'll use a couple lines of sandbags and get some of my colonists to be my army. Usually 2-3 high shooting colonists armed with pistols are enough to carry you through the early game, and if you can get your hands on a rifle you are golden for a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

USMC_Karl
Nov 17, 2003

SUPPORTER OF THE REINSTATED LAWFUL HAWAIIAN GOVERNMENT. HAOLES GET OFF DA `AINA.
Yeah, the power management system could use some love. I really like the idea of solar collectors and batteries, but since you have to manually control all electronic appliances it's a bit of a pain in the rear end to use them. The idea of having some presets that we could toggle between seems to be a good stop-gap measure. Imagine, a day/night/combat/all-on/all-off toggle that could be programmable.

On the topic of cover during night, I never really thought about that. I guess I'll have to build some lights into my outer walls. I would like some more fortification options at some point in time, something like stone walls that would not carry a current but be pretty hard to take down. Would allow us to build open settlements and defend them realistically. As it is there is really no reason to not build in a natural cut in the mountain, preferably hemming in 3 sides.

USMC_Karl
Nov 17, 2003

The new patch is pretty awesome, and I have been having a lot of fun with it. I started a new colony and have been puttering along, not really doing anything too amzingly well. I like the design I've come up with, though. Especially with the inclusion of rock walls. Basically, I have a compound that I've created with two doors set up as the main entrances. The growing takes place behind, and the rock walls will (eventually) enclose the compound.

I never really play this to win, instead I set it up as a challenge and see how far I can go. This time I'm using only solar power and no sentry turrets. I'm sure my colony will crash and burn but I've already survived three raids, the latest of which was made up of four raiders.

Have a look at my colony, I've dubbed it Wallaceton

USMC_Karl
Nov 17, 2003

OwlFancier posted:

Actually sentry turrets are a bit rubbish, I think building them influences the director to send bigger raids which they almost never actively contribute to stopping.

That's what I realized, so I decided to try out my new plan this colony. It's working out quite well so far, although I'm winning some skirmishes by the skin of my teeth.

OwlFancier posted:

The combat is pretty good when you play out in the field, which is something that's been stated as the point. You're not technically supposed to hunker down in your fort all the time, though it's currently the most effective method most of the time. I still like to send sniper teams out to whittle down enemy groups.

It'd be nice if maybe big raider swarms could come in several small groups to encourage you to take out a couple with small teams before they join up and attack.

Yeah, that's actually a really good idea. In Wallaceton I started with a pistol and a Lee Enfield, so I've been using my Enfield toting commissar as a skirmisher. When a group of raiders is coming in I'll have him meet them on the way in and pop off a couple shots. He usually doesn't hit, but sometimes I get lucky and he'll stun on of them for a while and get a second or third uncontested shot.

I've actually been considering building up some random sandbag emplacements on the approaches to my base. They would allow my colonists to have forward lines to meet attacks and soften them up a bit, then I could have them drop back to progressively to my actual stronghold.

The combat in the game is quite fun and involved for a game of this style. I think it's one of my favorite parts of the game. It's also pretty nice to have just 4-5 colonists to manage at one time, I prefer keeping my colonies pretty small and focused until later days.

USMC_Karl
Nov 17, 2003

Just got an email about an update, but I'm at work. Anyone played around with the new version yet? Sounds like a lot might have changed.

quote:

Major improvements in this build:

Wood economy. Logs, sawing, planks, flooring, tree growing, and more.
More stuff to research.
Crematorium.
Slag refinery.
More map variation.
Mechanoids raids.
Tension music for combat situations.
More songs for normal gameplay.
Smarter AI storytellers that focus on wealth and let you recover from serious damage.
Region system for better performance.
Tons of AI and usability improvements to hunting AI, player tutor, alerts, etc.

I can post the full work log later if people want to see it, this is just what was in the kickstarter update.

I'm particularly interested in the tweaked storytellers. Supposedly you will have a chance of recovery now, unlike previous versions where a slip up = colony crushed. The storytellers are supposed to focus more on your colony's overall value, so getting your colony wrecked up will lower the value which will trigger less severe raids/etc. Might be nice?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

USMC_Karl
Nov 17, 2003

OwlFancier posted:

:stare:

You know when you heard 'mechanoids' and thought it was just going to be cylons or something? Basically the same as raiders only made of metal?

Well... It's not like that.

Haha, don't leave us hanging man. What's it like?