Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

Can you actually Mortar a moving target? I had some raiders land and immediately attack and my mortarmen just hurf durfed around until they were right on top of me.

Also I nearly just had a base starve to death because when I arrested three raiders the only room I had to use as a prison was my kitchen...and you can't haul stuff out of prisoner rooms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alaan
May 24, 2005

Any mods let you rescued injured people from other towns that are left behind? Some badasses showed up right on top of a siege that was wrecking me and made it more manageable for me to take out. One of them is bleeding to death but if I rescue them I go to -80 with their faction.

Edit: Oh my god you dumb bastards. Don't run to the far corner of the map to get a food pack from the siege for someone who is literally starving to death when you have made meals FOUR SQUARES OVER.

Alaan fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Aug 20, 2014

Alaan
May 24, 2005

Do you have any issues with the turrets shooing each other? Was thinking offsetting them may be an improvent, but it might just not be an issue.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

Huh. Never seen an enemy have a break. Letting a siege go that long unless you went all dwarf and burrowed into a mountain is a really poor idea though.

Also god sieges are a pain and mortars are really annoying. I've yet to do anything with them other than splatter some random schlub or scratch the enemy mortar. On the other hand since your base is so much bigger than yours they have good odds of hitting SOMETHING. I tried incendiaries but they AI is pretty drat good at putting those out. Also every siege I've tried to assault had at least one competent M24 gunner. Despite the range I've not found myself too fond of them because they are so slow and even on Overkill, my head soldier with 14 firearms skill, he misses all the time. Getting in close on a corner and spraying bullets seems to work way better.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

Other than appearance and being separate stacks is their any mechanical difference between growing berries and potatoes in your hydroponics table?

Alaan
May 24, 2005

Next dumb question: Can you hunt deer to extinction?

Alaan
May 24, 2005

Haha. I think I just had a pretty funny bug. Had a guy chucking grenades at invading centipedes in my death ally when he took a direct shot. I thought he was dead at first because he was down and I could not see the slightest bit of red on his life bar. So I manage to drag him to get healed and as my doc is working on him I notice his HP bar isn't actually rising. He managed to get drat near everything you can break broken or burned, was horribly incapacitated, but suffered no actual HP damage as far as I can tell.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

I definitely sold a cripple into slavery. Poor bastard got shot in the head. Although my sympathy isn't the best since he was captured attacking my base. He worked and moved at a snails pace. I let him be my janitor until slaver showed up and arrested him. Slavers just don't seem as common as the other ships to me.

Now I'm waiting on them again because I managed to capture a guy with no left leg and another with a destroyed kidney man probably will get to stay. He has a max HP of about 1/3 a bar but is otherwise functional. Provided blood filtration doesn't actually matter! Maybe I'll turn him into my grenadier. Those guys have short lifespans any way.

Edit: Is a missing leg permanent incapacitated?

Alaan
May 24, 2005

Maybe the slavers will buy her a new leg :smith: She was ALSO my best doctor. I guess I shouldn't have had her out sniping. But seriously her targets were total scrubs. All the guys with M-24s had 1 firearms skill. Just got winged by sheer bad luck.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

HOLY JESUS the squirrels. I just had an event pretty late in the game where the squirrels went mad. It was the most brutal attack I have ever faced.

Luckily I had a partially built ship so two of them got off planet. :smith:

That entrance layout held up pretty well to humans, but not vs. squirrels who ended up in dead zones to the turrets. Also my main gunner had the minigun equipped which is about 50x too slow to attack the squirrel horde.

I can definitely find 25 squirrels/corpses. May be a few more.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

Steam vents in an enclosed area are terrifying. I saw one up at 185 degrees.

I have several doors airlocking it from my main base to not roast that end of the station.

Alaan fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Dec 13, 2014

Alaan
May 24, 2005

I ended up swimming in food on my Tundra map mainly because I slaughtered every motherfucking Muffalo and Elk I could find since parkas made from them sell for $500+ and aren't any more effective than the cloth parkas the enemies wear for temperature. I also had an unusually large for me outdoor starting farm of potatoes to stock up on before the growing season ended.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

Drunk in Space posted:

This isn't actually true. There's a bug right now where clothing made from most leathers actually gives twice as much cold protection as it's supposed to. I'm currently playing a challenge game with the icesheet mod, which allows you to play on the frozen biome. Winter temperatures in the location I picked plummet to less than -100, which is about as obscene as it sounds. To maintain the challenge, though, I have to intentionally refrain from using parkas made from leather, because they trivialize even that insane temperature drop.

Ah didn't know about the bug, was strictly going by item descriptions in game. Still, will be relevant for the future!

Alaan
May 24, 2005

As far as I can tell those sleeper pods are basically suicide until the point they become goodie baskets for your colonies(when you don't really need it because you are strong enough to face down six angry goons). They go wrong WAY more than they go right.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

I was unaware of spontaneous air temp based ignition until I saw that video.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

Tony Montana posted:

Being able to accurately hit anywhere on the map with great force with a single mortar would be so loving OP it'd be ridiculous. You can go and download a 'I'm a pussy' mod if you like

They don't need to be lasers, but some more accuracy would be nice. I've spent basically two in game days with 3 mortars and didn't kill a single enemy at a siege.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

The personal shields own bones(when you have them). They can be pretty obnoxious when the enemy has them. With the pretty low gun accuracy in the game slashers can run rampant vs shooters til you manage to pop their shields. Feels like effectively double to triple their HP since there is 0% chance to do a major injury while it's up. You definitely want at least one good melee person on your team to counter them.

Also I may just be crazy, but friendly fire seems way less common so far. I just had a group of guys basically firing through each other in a stack with little downside.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

Wonder if he'd change the time system up significantly to have that make more sense. Since most games only run a handful of years children would be all downside until you are thirty hours into the game.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

Engraving history may be a little rough still :psyduck:

Alaan
May 24, 2005

Bold Robot posted:

How does deterioration on items work? I guess I won't be able to keep guns/clothes/etc. lying outside at my trading stockpile anymore? I guess it's realistic but it sounds like a huge pain in the rear end to have to micro that hauling.

I guess if we have to keep stuff indoors now, one way would be to put the trading beacon inside a structure, then just designate it as a roof/no-roof area as needed.

Basically what I do is just quickly do a no-roof zone over my stockpile when i'm actually trading. The rest of the time I leave it roofed.

Edit: Just made a Masterwork Devilstrand coat $4680 value :eyepop: Actual sale price was only about $700 though laaame.

Alaan fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Feb 20, 2015

Alaan
May 24, 2005

Turtles: Less threatening directly than squirrels when the alien ship makes them mad. But their own subtle FU for when you have killed all the other things the psychic drone sent after you and walk into their glacial assault.

Edit: I also now have a siege AND a alien ship going. both on the far corners of the map from where I am.

Alaan fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Feb 20, 2015

Alaan
May 24, 2005

I think mining Plasteel is the new way most of my people go insane supplanting the previous problem of "STOP HUNTING THE TURTLE"

Alaan
May 24, 2005

They drop as close as they can. I've had several raids pop just outside my closed roof trading area.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

Is anybody having trouble hauling Art/Weapons/??? on E or is one of my mods acting up?

Edit: EDB interface is doing it. May have to mess with load order or something.

Alaan fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Feb 25, 2015

Alaan
May 24, 2005

I ended up with basically all the neighbors pissed at me in my last game because I had ridiculously good luck for a while with raids showing up while people were just milling around and bumbling into them. I had a 3 scythers drop right on top of some of the poor bastards. There were no survivors.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

Is there any mod that let's me place a JESUS CHRIST YOU DUMB MOTHERFUCKERS DON'T COME HERE zone that non-drafted people will not go to? Because I really hate having to either lock all my colonists not fighting in my base or grab them as they suicidally charge to put out a fire/pick up a shiny thing/whatever in the middle of a combat zone.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

Man the game is just stuck in a rut throwing tribal attacks at me. Unfortunately for them tribals do not last well to the turret mine room. I think I had 15 corpses and a a few still twitching in a 3x3 space. It pretty much looked like someone exploded a fifty five gallon drum of blood in there.

On that note: does any mod let you haul more than one clothes item at a time?

Edit: :flashfap: Masterwork sniper rifle. 100% accuracy on all but point blank range. Thank god I was loaded and could afford $2200.

Alaan fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Feb 27, 2015

Alaan
May 24, 2005

Filthy Monkey posted:

The decay for skills over 10 is kind of irritating. It makes it really hard to get some skills up. I started a colony with min, who is a special character incapable a shitload of stuff, but who comes with 15+ art and social. Even using her as my only warden and trader, her social skill is still decaying, and has gone down to 14.

Doctoring and Wardening could probably use huge boosts the the amount of XP you get since. I'm not sure my main doc leveled up once in over a year of play.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

I don't do Randy too much because i've had a few crushingly boring games with him.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

New pet peeve: You can't treat prisoners that are wandering around. I have a guy that has been bleeding to death and got infected because he got out of bed before my doc could physically walk to him.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

Here is me going DURR. I usually have one but forgot to this time.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

Generation Internet posted:

"Operation has failed in a minor way"

Oh, well that can't be so ba-

You were trying to install a drat peg-leg :psyduck:

Well, the operation was a success. However the doctor also spontaneously decided to do a heart transplant. Then he realized that he didn't have a second heart.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

Might be vents if something like Central Heating got updated. While temps DO technically go through walls they do it quite poorly, especially on brick or natural stone. A heater or cooler barely nudges the temp of adjacent rooms.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

You can still make a poor man's(rich man's?) mine using a turret. put it in a room with locked entrance and exit. raiders all bunch up until the front door breaks, they rush in and attack the turret. The turret explodes and kills half of them, downs 1/4, and the last 1/4 flee bleeding.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

Spakstik posted:

In my last game I ended up with statues being my primary source of income. Is there any benefit to producing grand statues? A skill 20 artist cranked one out (normal quality, maybe?) and it ended up not being worth much more than the higher quality small statues that my other two artists were churning out. The time you have to invest in it doesn't seem to line up with the payoff; seems like I'd have been much better off having them churn out small statues.

If you actually want a beautiful area I think they have a much higher beauty value. And it's a giant pain to raise beauty value now, especially with how much dirt drags it down.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

Heffer posted:

Does colonist shooting skill affect their use of mortars? because these guys are lovely shots.

mortars don't use the gun skill. They are just incredibly inaccurate. You will probably take 10+ rounds to hit anything.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

Flesh Forge posted:

As far as I can tell if a solar panel catches on fire it's doomed :shrug:

It's agonizing when your Steam Generator gets a fire in the middle and you just get to watch a pile of metal go up in smoke.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

Bold Robot posted:

How do you put scyther arms on a dude?

If you disable a scyther you can go to their health tab and do an operation to remove an arm. Anyone that is allowed to do repair can attempt to take it off(have your highest construction person do it). Then once you have the scyther arm you can perform a surgery to attach it to a colonist. Be aware this fucks with their ability to do most things besides be a murder machine since it drops their manipulation. If you outright kill the scyther you can't take their sweet blade arm.

Alaan fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Mar 16, 2015

Alaan
May 24, 2005

Oh god comfort levels. It's going to ruin my non-flammable stone furniture.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alaan
May 24, 2005

Yeah I think materials that require extra to use could use some tweaking. My level 20 artist made a silver statue worth less than the materials by a fair deal.