Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual
It seems to me that the dev is operating from his own understanding of the world based upon the information he has in front of him and personal experiences, as we do. He has also acknowledged the existence of bi men and plans to include them in a future update: https://www.reddit.com/r/RimWorld/comments/5ax9a9/some_notes_on_recent_controversies/

Furthermore, though different from my own understanding of the world, I don't find Tynan's personal beliefs beyond reason, or harmful, to anyone. Also, the internet is bullshit and I hate all computers and the people who are behind them for as long as they are there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual

Daynab posted:

A couple years later and he does an interview for breitbart and is an alt-right dude

I was hoping you or someone else might point to what makes him an "alt right" dude or otherwise a caricature of bad politics. I glanced over the Breitbart piece and it seems like the most tame and inoffensive thing ever, clearly just self-promotion.

Criticism, as we know, is a very easy thing to do and in the last three pages of this thread it seems unwarranted and based upon nothing substantial. I'm willing to be wrong on this, but if you're going to levy guilt, you ought to put in the work to do it right.

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual

Daynab posted:

Given that he was proto alt-right back then with the stuff he was saying to me and others, given the people he interacts with and signal boosts, and given that no self-respecting dev would ever give an interview to Breitbart which is the scum of the earth, unless they agree with their extreme-right political leanings, I feel comfortable saying that. I'm not going to dig up his past life for more examples, make your own judgement with that.

Your first claim is anecdotal and provides little enough detail to be easily ignored. Your second is made with reference to nothing. Your third is an opinion substantiated upon... What, exactly? Yes, Breitbart is right wing and terrible, yet Breitbart has and could again serve as a platform for people who are neither of those things.

If you're going to bother painting another person in a certain way you ought to put the minimal amount of effort necessary to do so.

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual

Daynab posted:

I'm not trying to ruin this guy's reputation and if I start digging up unrelated stuff people will (rightly) say I'm being a creepy sjw on a crusade or whatever, especially if it's stuff from the GG days.
I was only describing my reaction about hearing about this and in relation to my experiences with the dude. You can believe whatever you want.

The only thing I'll reply regarding Breitbart is that no, it doesn't serve as a platform for neutral stuff and hasn't in years. This is a particularly intense thing in the games industry because Breitbart staff are directly responsible for a ton of harassment and threats of both devs and writers and since the industry is very tight-knit even now, everyone hates their guts.

Being vague is much more dangerous than being specific and truthful when it comes to condemning a person, which you have already done.

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual
The most effective form of disagreement: buying me an AV/Title that in no way reflects what I've said or believe.

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual
I'd just like to clarify that what I was attempting in this thread was to suggest accountability to those who, without citation or example, asserted that a person is "alt-right" a supporter of gamergate or otherwise holds the wrong political or ethical views. If you've read my posts and thought that I was somehow being intolerant of a particular sexual orientation: please let me know.

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual
Boomalopes are nice in that they give you another avenue into low maintenance power generation.

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual
How does the blindness ideology really work? Can it make removing ones eyes a net benefit to pawns?

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual
Is there a mod yet for saving ideologies? There's a lot to customize and I'm tired of remaking the same ideology every time I fail.

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual
I get the love for the blindness meme, but ultimately I think it makes the game much much more difficult, especially when blinding an entire colony, as I currently am.

Pros:
Blindness makes for very stable colonies. Gives big mood bonuses and makes colonists love each other.
Blindness allows ignoring many other potential mood maluses.
The chance of a free psychic ability on random pawns.

Neutral:
30% bonus psychic sensitivity.

Cons:
Hunting is basically out of the question. No one is going to be hitting anything while blind.
Seemingly every task starts to take forever. The beginning of Rimworld is often slow, but starting with three blind colonists makes it sloooooooow. You're going to be botching tasks constantly and tasks you can't fail seem to take much longer (I think).
My level 20 constructor is constantly botching wooden traps. You'd think she would adapt, but she hasn't.
You have to scorch the earth with traps and automated defenses to even have a chance at withstanding raids. It doesn't matter if your pawns have a melee or shooting ability of 20, they're still going to downed by raiders with a quarter of their skill.

Unsure:
I think blindness removes potential bonuses from being in a beautiful place? Still get bonuses from nice rooms. I've never seen a pawn stop to appreciate art the way I had in the past. Maybe they just don't gain recreation from viewing art. Don't know.

ANYWAY: It's a fun/interesting way to play, but is also very frustrating. Once your colony is stable, it is STABLE, but getting there is a slog and then watch out for any threat that traps and turrets can't deal with. Would love psychic/blind colonists a chance to make up for all the maluses through an ability.

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual
They have a chance of showing up down the road, appearing in raids, joining in an event... etc.

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual
Does converting visitors to your ideology have any noticeable gameplay repercussions after they leave?

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual
Has anyone gotten one or more relics yet? What effect do they have, if any?

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual
Can someone speak to the effectiveness of theming a colony/ideology around massing Gauranlan trees? Especially curious about using them for base defense.

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual
I've been keeping a single colony on Rimworld going for a bit since ideology. Between random join events, save scumming and now pawns joining from holiday celebrations, I've grown a colony to over 30 pawns. Past ten the game was slowly becoming a bit janky and rough around the edges, but now at 30, I'm getting long freezes. I have to click multiple times to get the click to register and the game will start to randomly pause itself.

After, accepting a refugee event that brought in an additional 22 settlers, boosting my colony to over 50: forget about it. Very unstable.

How are people stably playing larger colonies? I downloaded Rimthreaded tonight, which helped, but wasn't really the silver bullet I'm looking for.

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual

TjyvTompa posted:

Get a better computer. I don't mean to be rude or anything but that is the solution to having a huge colony.
I have this, there are 50 slaves and 25 regular pawns and a huge amount of animals:

Sure I only get ~20 fps when it is running but the game works completely fine, there are no problems at all, no pauses, no missed clicks, no freezes.

There are a couple of mods that say they increase performance, like rocketman that was already mentioned and there is also this: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2559582557&searchtext=
I haven't tried any of them, maybe they will help you.

I don't know. I feel like my computer is pretty modern. Processor might be a couple generations old, but I figure even that's not the problem.

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8700K CPU @ 3.70GHz (12 CPUs), ~3.7GHz
Memory: 32768MB RAM
Card name: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090
Disk Drive: Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 2TB

EDIT: Will give Rocketman a shot.

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Can I hear peoples' opinions on their standard bedroom sizes?

I keep a lot of 2x4s ready to go for visitors and new recruits. Any special cases, or preferred colonists get 6x5s.

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual
I love Rimworld. It's one of my favorite games maybe ever. Lately though the lategame takes me in the direction of having 15+ pawns and it seems the game just doesn't like that. Even with my modern computer.

Especially with blindsight. I feel I need more pawns to makeup for the production slowdown.

Do you all play into the late game with smaller colonies?

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual
Thanks to this thread for being the only place I can go to hear people talk about this game, or any game, as it is. Reddit being the dominant forum for game discussion has show me that mostly just want to make kind-of-poo poo puns all day rather than talk about anything in a substantive manner. Proof that the SA forums still has its niche.

My contribution: tunnelers are pretty good as far as mechs go. Pikemen are not so good.

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual

Piell posted:

Get Mini Miner, it's dumb that mining is locked off at a high level

It's even more of a bummer that tunnelers can't use deep drills. In late game all they're good for is fighting.

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual

JonathonSpectre posted:

And do you get a doctorbot to install bionics?

Yes. They're also the bot that can put out fires.

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual

Flesh Forge posted:

BRING IT :black101:

e: we killed about 80% of them and then some ... helpers ... arrived, ok you guys can just have that good luck

You've been at this colony for awhile and it's clear there's a lot going on. What type of FPS are you getting currently and what performance mods are you using, if any? Also: what's your CPU?

If I want the game to be smooth in the lategame, I can't really go over ten pawns.

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual
Speaking of slowdown... I've got an i7 8700K, which was top of the line before Rimworld was released. Now a-days, not so much. If I play a campaign for a couple of years these days and have a colony above say... 8 pawns: my computer starts getting the jitters. The whole thing begins stuttering obnoxiously. I hate it.

Can problems like this be alleviated by getting like... a Ryzen 9 7950X or an i9-13900KF or is Rimworld just poorly optimized for the late game? Is this a problem I can throw money at is what I'm asking.

EDIT: I run about 5 mods total, all low impact including Rocket Man.

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual
Single core speed for most of these high end CPUs has gone up in comparison to CPUs from 4 or 5 years ago. I know the numbers aren't impressive by comparison to how many cores these things keep adding.

No one benchmarks Rimworld is kind of why this is a tough decision.

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual
Rimworld is a bleak game. That much is clear from reading the thread. I might be resurfacing an old and well trod topic, but the thing that gets me the most is the pointless cruelty and death of raids. Raids on the player, I mean. The pointless part rings most true for me.

Food and wealth is hard to come and so attaining either may make you a rich target, that I understand. But life struggles too and its existence is an investment to even the most psycopathic and far gone of communities. Why sacrifice crowds of your own people at the foot of a mountain, mined to the teeth with a column of automated turrets hosing you, your friends, your family into oblivion. How would a single bloody event like that not topple the leadership of any faction?

I could understand new upstarts rising to challenge a player colony. But it just seems that raider factions will never suffer a real loss. They're a game mechanic meant to encourage a certain type of play, but the rest of Rimworld's mechanics are less transparent and therefore better.

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual

It appears that he has.

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual

Heffer posted:

So what happens when you give a pawn every dependency gene? Can they happy and healthy live their life blasted off their tits 24/7?

No. You have to give them the corresponding impervious gene as well, else they can still experience overdose if you're not careful.

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual

Asimo posted:

Hmm, I may nab that. Combat dryads in general just need a serious boost considering you don't have direct control over them or their targets and clawers just die instantly trying to get into range against even midgame threats. Barkskin manage their role slightly better but considering the opportunity cost of cutting trees, the fact it takes the better part of a quadrum to replenish lost dryads, and mechanoids just existing as an alternative...

Those trees, man. I don't know if they're ever worthwhile over other opportunities.

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual
I got a Ryzen 9 7950X3D recently and I decided to see if there would be any performance difference in the lategame (~10 pawns, ~10 robots, ~10 animals), coming from a i7 8700K. I notice really no difference.

Though CPU utilization caps out around 6% and I'm reporting ~100+ FPS, and around ~360 TPS, I notice a telltale familiar and obvious stutter at max speed. Most obvious when observing pawn movements, but also when just moving the camera around the map. This is something that has always bothered me when it kicks in. Even with rocketman.

Anyone have any experience with this, or in resolving this?

EDIT: Reducing the colony to having only one colonist set to do "Basic" tasks and only half set to fight fires has alleviated the issue in a pretty noticeable way. I guess the game is checking for those things constantly. Wish the system was either redesigned or warned you of this pitfall.

Whenever I see Tynan address player concerns about lategame performance issues he's usually saying something like "The game wasn't really intended to be played with more than six pawns."

George Sex - REAL fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Jun 25, 2023

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual

Torrannor posted:

Then how do you trains your doctors to become good enough that "accidentally amputated your leg when trying to install this bionic eye" becomes a mere 1/20 chance instead of 1/2?

The quality of a hospital can easily make up for the lack of quality in a doctor (in rimworld).

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual
Dwarf Fortress is getting multithreading and we're over here listening to Tynan say that any optimizations would go against the spirit of the game

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual
On the new content front: a new unstable build was released six days ago and is available for download. This is the first one since March. No change log currently available.

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual

Eiba posted:

Apparently they gave some streamers a heads up (a long time ago) that they're expecting to release something near the end of the year, so as not to catch the community "influencers" off guard like they usually do, so I wouldn't be surprised if there's another out of nowhere announcement in the next month or so.

Do you recall the source of this rumor? One of the devs in the bug reporting discord today said that they haven't told anyone anything.

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual
We should be due for an expansion, right?

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual
Yeah, nutrient paste rocks. With ideologies there's just no strong incentive to use anything else

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual
The solution is 20 constructors.

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual
Conflicted on what has been teased of this latest expansion.

Ideology changed the way we saw society within the rim. It affected culturally how one group related to another, how the group related to themself. It gave colonies and factions a lot more identity. It was/is very interesting.

Biotech changed the way we thought about pawns and gave us an alternative to traditional pawns in the form of mechs. In a game that is based around the lives of pawns, that is hugely impactful. It was/is very interesting.

Royalty on the other hand fleshes out the background of the world a little bit through the empire. Adds some abilities in the form of psycasts. It also added some variety in the events system. It is/was kind-of interesting.

Anomaly, so far, seems to be a lot more in the vein of royalty over ideology and biotech. Fleshing out events/abilities, rather than reworking a core tenant of the game.

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual
Enjoying Anomaly so far, but wanted to call attention to something that has long irked me: the main menu.

Adjacent to the core menu elements you have a secondary menu, adjacent to the most important buttons in the application that is Rimworld. All of the secondary buttons take you out of the game and aren't really helpful in the first place. Like a button to buy Tynan's design book, or to visit Tynan's very inactive twitter page.

Not even Sid Meier would engage in this level of self-insertional hubris. He made a really good game but games require some level of artifice and this Tynan needs to get out the way on his main menu.

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual
The cube question:

Any idea how to solve this one? Studying doesn't seem to be progressing the anomaly. Had it for maybe close to a year at this point and it is really derailing my colony in a pretty annoying way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual
A word of warning to anyone whose game starts chugging for seemingly no discernible reason: check your stockpile logic.

My game will chug when stockpiles get accidentally linked to other stockpiles, shelves that have complicated rules and exceptions. I don't know why, really. It's like my haulers can't decide between where to go.

Weird stockpiles, for me, really is the difference between a buttery smooth experience and a janky one. In this game I do have 6 or so stockpiles. I have my main one set to basically accept everything at normal priority and then I have my specialty stockpiles littered throughout the map set at preferred or important and that has worked fine.