Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
There are insane deficiencies across the board in Vanilla. The game is almost unplayable. There's a reason why people install 300 mods to this game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Royalty was his first DLC and is easily replaced with RimMagic, and RimMagic is way more fun. Ideology should have been in the base game. Biotech is good and is done better than a lot of similar mods.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

QuarkJets posted:

RimMagic replaces like 10% of what's in Royalty

Royalty's psycasting is a tenth of RimMagic and setting up a throne room doesn't negate that.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Asimo posted:

Also Rimworld of Magic runs like poo poo, has a bunch of annoying raid types, and doesn't even make a vague attempt at game balance. To be fair the run like poo poo part is due to JecsTools being an old and obsolete library that pretty much only still exists due to RoM, but the point stands.

I mean if we're talking game balance with mods you have to ax half the workshop. All VE poo poo is busted as hell.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
I generally avoid devkill but I will dev immunity the inevitable plague/malaria when you're on day 3 of your new colony.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
I look forward to narrowly defeating an eldritch horror spilling flesh beasts only to lose to a manhunter pack of 20 yorkies

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
I'm usually critical of all things Tynan but I'm excited for this expansion and I love the Cube.

I love shutting my brain off and loving memes like the Cube.

Love the cube. Need more cubes

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Almost every story teller Vanilla Expanded puts out is just "This story teller believes in a tough story, you will face increasing dangers that will punish you for no good reason" but with different art work

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

DoubleNegative posted:

Someone on Reddit was talking about Tynan patching out the exploit that allowed for the Singularity Killbox. Upon investigation, it appears to be the "camping on an open door prevents enemy pawns from seeing you until they're right next to you" exploit.

Naturally the post is decrying how "almost all killboxes are gonna break now." :lmao:

I showed my whole rear end on stream today complaining about the killbox being killed without actually reading the post and then a chatter read it and explained how dumb I was

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
You need warcaskets simply for the warcasket funeral rites so you can make eternal dreadnaughts in any playthrough

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
The only knock on Ideology is that it should have been a base game feature. It's rapidly game changing and gives a ton of options for different play throughs. I'd only dodge it if I only built the same base every single time.

Royalty isn't that great to me and seems easily skippable. It's kind of fun to build a fancy pad for a pawn and use them as a super psycast soldier but that's just one play through style. It got old after the first time and now I rarely do any Empire stuff.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Does anyone know if the VE Tribal storyteller is hooked up to wealth or is it constant scaling like Cassandra Classic

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Arcvasti posted:

Low-key the predator attacks are the one attack event that I'd consider disabling. Unlike basically every other kind of enemy, they will keep attacking pawns even after they're downed, so they're extremely lethal. It's not like they're not preventable if you're paying attention, but it's really annoying having to clear the predators out preemptively every year, compared to the much simpler precautions needed for any other bad event. Even the widely hated events like drop pod raids or infestations just need you to plan the base layout around them beforehand.

Yeah I despise predator attacks simply because there's no way to predict them other than constantly monitoring wildlife spawns. I've had full armored hunting pawns with charge lances lose easily to bears and cats so you can't even really AFK hunt them either.

On the flip side I'm doing a caveman playthrough right now with the prehistoric dino mod and it's funny watching pawns occasionally get snapped up by a dilapadon.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
You can sometimes go out and ping one of them and drag them back to your killbox. Sieges also have poor initial engagement so you can draw some shooters out and even up the odds a bit. Outside of that they're usually a gotcha for not researching mortars fast enough.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

QuarkJets posted:

I don't use mortars at all, in any colony. I don't think that you need them to counter other mortars

An all-melee colony with no shield belts or armor may have a very hard time though

I mean yea you can just walk out if you're armored enough but I feel like most players resort to mortar v mortar, they're excellent for breaking sieges.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Smoothing has always been a downtime stat raiser for me

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

George Sex - REAL posted:

Anomaly, so far, seems to be a lot more in the vein of royalty over ideology and biotech. Fleshing out events/abilities, rather than reworking a core tenant of the game.

Gameplay loops rarely get changed and I don't forsee Tynan ever doing something different with the game than build up base -> get raided

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Feasts give me PTSD of living with people who party way too late. I don't know why pawns choose to absolutely gently caress themselves on sleep feasting for 24 hours straight.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
I avoid 20/60 because Randy likes to give me a cold snap with solar flare right behind it while giggling

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Im a coward with Luciferium and I only use it when I want to wrap up my run to go kill big cities with warcasket crackheads

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Love the trees. Love a lot of the updated things in 1.5. Hate that none of my mods work.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I just tripped over this cool thing. If you zoom waaaaaay out, all the animals on the map glow blue. Enemies are red.

Yeah I love that change and I hope mods keep up with it. Nothing sucked worse than whatever mod added enemy pets owned by the Ancients that were always massive predators lurking to kill your pawns on the opening day.

I wish it would color code predators red too but that might defeat the purpose of predators being a gotcha game mechanic.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Rimworld with no mods is torturous to the point that it feels like the game owes its entire success to some QoL mods.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Goons: Here's my 200 mod list it sucks that Anomaly broke them all but they'll be updated soon
Also Goons: You need mods to enjoy this game??

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
I dunno I get a million Dwarf Fortressalikes that cross my desk every day and none of them have the mod support or love of Rimworld. To ignore how popular the game is from the modding community is a little ridiculous to me.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Ok let me amend my statement.

Rimworld without mods is torturous to me, and I probably wouldn't play it without them, but people can totally enjoy the game without them, and I'm sorry for the hyperbole.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
My mind has selectively blanked those out I didn't even realize there was anything besides new game and load game and mods

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
I swear to god the next pawn that gets the Entity Slayer debuff is getting shot on the spot

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

OwlFancier posted:

If you have a pawn with good social you can just arrest people out of mental breaks. They don't get catharsis but I've found it quite useful.

That takes too long and gives a huge debuff. Beating them with sticks, however

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

QuarkJets posted:

So are people just dropping a bookcase into their sterile research rooms? I don't really want to do that. I will probably be creating like, a research rec room? A high tech research bench in a room with wood floors and comfy chairs

Aesthetics trump all

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Most disgusting mod ever created

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Broken Cog posted:

Ok, so apparently psychically deaf pawns can straight up just see invisible enemies?
Good reason to keep an Yttakin around, I guess.

Edit: Or a ghoul, of course

That makes so much sense I thought I was having a weird conflict with a mod or something

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

dead bodies for shambler defense... stacked high!

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
I swear to god they flipped some internal switch on Randy with this last expansion. In the last ten hours of my stream I hit two toxic fallouts, a volcanic winter, 5 blights, 5 malarias, 3 plagues, 6 flus, several quad raids/animal insanities within a 3 day span, and all my pawns break at the drop of the hat due to all the anomaly stuff on top of it. Just absolutely brutal with pretty much zero good events in the mean time.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Sokani posted:

Did you start your run before the patch that integrates anomaly with the base game? I had a similar experience, like they patched the game and every event I missed happened all at once. Especially the sickness, I had pawns with both malaria and flu, it was pretty touch and go.

That could be it

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Kate Lockwell posted:

ok Randy bud wanna tone it down a bit?
Toxic fallout (9 days, almost max-duration) into heat wave into unnatural darkness. I don't mind the latter 2 so much but toxic fallout is just so dull. Stick your colonists in a roofed zone and do nothing for hours of play time

Yeah I think from now on I'm just turning toxic fallout off now. I feel like it should only happen if you're letting waste packs rot.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Anomaly should have been split between early game and late game. Could have thematically kept to tribal/medieval playthroughs with shamblers/ghouls and the darkness events and kept the strong late game stuff like the sphere occurring after a electricity is unlocked or something.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
I swear Tynan spent half the dev cycle of this DLC figuring out how to get the void monolith to spawn in the best place for a killbox

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Lovecraft wrote in an era where that was more impactful and harrowing. Shadow Over Innsmouth is also more than just fish people, it's body horror, small town conspiracy, and hereditary doom. Like the guy was a mental wreck and his parents died in an institution so the whole towns people inheriting Deep One characteristics was probably more about how he was afraid he inherited crazy genes than just fish people are fish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
The Community For Years: Hey Tynan can you add 1x2 doors, chairs, and wall lights?

Tynan: Slavery, IVD impregnations, and burkas, slave collars, and slave harnesses?