Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eddy-Baby
Mar 8, 2006

₤₤LOADSA MONAY₤₤
I made it to Day 175. The raiders were throwing themselves at me in giant human waves for a long time but defence in depth and minefields kept my guys just about alive. This time, Cleopatra decided that I needed 20+ mechanoids knocking on my front door. I had to kite them with sniper rifles to keep them away from the base because conventional bunkers hold up very poorly against inferno cannon and blasting charges hardly hurt mechs at all.

I formed firing lines on the edge of their range with m24s, take one or two shots and then retreat because they're gonna be shooting fireballs all up in your face... Effective at wearing them down, but it takes 20 hits to kill a single mech and I only had 6 rifles in storage. I had to keep rotating out my shooters as they all got too tired and hungry to fight very quickly.

Two days (and three shift changes) later, I had worn them down to about 5 remaining on poor health. Going great, until about eighty raiders showed up to see what all the noise was about.

Pictured: The last few, highly weakened centipedes against a fresh wave of raiders. My base is to the north behind the bunkers with my colonists firing indiscriminately into the scrum. You can see Engie frantically trying to extinguish a burning mine right in front of my gate before it explodes and takes half the bunker with it. Somewhere in the mess are a couple of allied outlanders who picked the wrong gate to leave the base by.

The raiders beat the mechs handily, but there were only a few left by then. At full strength they would have wiped the floor with them; the centipede wave had something like 17000hp in total. I just can't think of any stationary defensive measure that could possibly stop an attack like that. Picture the scene when ten of those guys cluster up on a door and all break through at once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eddy-Baby
Mar 8, 2006

₤₤LOADSA MONAY₤₤
Doors can easily become walls.

Eddy-Baby
Mar 8, 2006

₤₤LOADSA MONAY₤₤

nachos posted:

I tried aligning the hopper both ways to make sure there wasn't an issue there but no dice. The unowned bed belonged to a now-dead-from-starvation prisoner :(

Sometimes things in a prisoner room can function strangely as they are considered prisoner property, have you tried placing the hopper outside the cell? The dispenser functions as a wall so you can knock out a tile of the outer wall safely.

Also if your prisoner is unconscious from malnutrition they can't feed themselves.