Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

That's a far cry from "The audience won't be able to recognize a mall" Malls consolidating does not mean that they are completely absent from society.

I think you're taking the "recognizable" part of that post incredibly literally. He didn't say "the audience won't be able to recognize what a mall is!" like some imbecile, he said "the mall culture from the first movie isn't relevant/recognizable anymore".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

WTF? Anyone over the age of 5 could recognize that they're in a mall. Hell one of my co-workers has two kids in their teens and he's always complaining about their hanging out at the mall. And a friend of mine owns his own cutlery store in a mall and year over year he's been doing better and better.

I think you might be overselling this just a tad.

Behaviors and attitudes, not literal shopping malls. What kind of cultural position do shopping malls occupy currently?

speshl guy
Dec 11, 2012
It seems like regular local stores can't survive the steep rent prices that come with holding a location in a major mall so all the spaces go to huge brand-name stores that you can find everywhere. And stores that used to be considered fringe like Hot Topic and Spencers have more or less entered the mainstream.

With malls going mainstream they lost all of the local curiosity and culture that you used to be able to find there, now everybody knows exactly what they're in for when they go to one. The mall they're filming at has both a dental office and a medical practice, Macy's, Sears and Boscov's; all hotbeds of modern youth culture.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Jack Gladney posted:

Behaviors and attitudes, not literal shopping malls. What kind of cultural position do shopping malls occupy currently?

I just told y'all, but that's "anecdotal" (even though lots of people might be going there and not buying anything)

I'm not questioning some of them closing up -they most certainly are - but pretending that nobody goes to the mall to just hang out and enjoy the air conditioning and maybe grab a S'barro is phony baloney. Certainly less people do but it hasn't completely vanished. My friend who runs the cutlery store has teens come in all day and look at the knives without buying. "Public" spaces to kill time aren't going away.

I'm sure everyone will understand what's going on in Mallrats 2 Just Fine.

zandert33
Sep 20, 2002

I've heard Smith talking about Mallrats 2, and he's clearly of the same thought that malls are dead. He's made more than one joke about his daughter having no clue what a mall is. I fully expect that Mallrats 2 will have that as a major basis.

Also I WISH malls around here were less busy, every time I've been to my local mall (which is fairly large) it's a mob scene. Malls are alive and well on Long Island.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

I'm sure everyone will understand what's going on in Mallrats 2 Just Fine.

Again, I don't know where you get the idea that anyone is saying "people literally won't understand what a mall is!" except from your own imagination.

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
I like tell 'em steve dave.

edit:

MattD1zzl3 fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Nov 17, 2015

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
I wish Fatman on Batman would get back to interviews. Smith is a fairly entertaining podcaster, but he's better as an interviewer for my money. Plus just hearing TV or movie news every week is getting old.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

MeatwadIsGod posted:

I wish Fatman on Batman would get back to interviews. Smith is a fairly entertaining podcaster, but he's better as an interviewer for my money. Plus just hearing TV or movie news every week is getting old.

I don't mind the news podcasts because i like the chemistry he has with Bernardin. Also the most recent episode where Smith spent the majority of the time rhapsodizing The Flash was dope. Mostly because it grated how often he said he wasn't interested in watching the show over some perceived slight, and knowing that it is the exact sort of thing Kevin Smith would go gaga for, which he did.

That being said, i wouldn't mind another interview episode.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

speshl guy posted:

. And stores that used to be considered fringe like Hot Topic and Spencers have more or less entered the mainstream.

Holy poo poo Spencers still exists? Theres like 5 malls in this area and I havent seen a single Spencers in at least 10 years

poonchasta
Feb 22, 2007

FFFFAAAFFFFF FFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFF FFFFFFFFAAAAAAFFFFF FFFFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFFF FFFFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFF

zVxTeflon posted:

Holy poo poo Spencers still exists? Theres like 5 malls in this area and I havent seen a single Spencers in at least 10 years

Yeah, but Spencers is now basically Hot Topic with sex toys strewn about.

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l6sdpH5N1c0

Awesome. Of course everyone in the comments is making GBS threads on it, but gently caress them.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

MattD1zzl3 posted:

Awesome. Of course everyone in the comments is making GBS threads on it, but gently caress them.

Man. I dunno. Smith is extremely long winded in every single comment he makes, it kinda messes up the format.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

MattD1zzl3 posted:

That's awful, and it's not even Smith's fault.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Popular thing bad, because plot holes. Please click.

Commissar Of Doom
Apr 21, 2009

howe_sam posted:

I don't mind the news podcasts because i like the chemistry he has with Bernardin. Also the most recent episode where Smith spent the majority of the time rhapsodizing The Flash was dope. Mostly because it grated how often he said he wasn't interested in watching the show over some perceived slight, and knowing that it is the exact sort of thing Kevin Smith would go gaga for, which he did.

That being said, i wouldn't mind another interview episode.

He's supposed to start up interviews again at some point, maybe in 2016, but until then I can make due with Marc and Kevin making geek jokes about poo poo.

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!

Guy A. Person posted:

Man. I dunno. Smith is extremely long winded in every single comment he makes, it kinda messes up the format.

Are you in a hurry or something? You could save even more time by not playing the video.

edit: Just kidding, i get what you are saying. Smith wouldnt be a good choice to host the show on the regular, but its part of his charm that he is long winded about what he is passionite about; its kind of what made him big in the first place. Forcing him to confine his "star wars" fanboyism to little 4 second sentences would really make it pointless to use him at all. They did good. People just have no attention span and are lovely on the internet, who is suprised?

MattD1zzl3 fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Nov 28, 2015

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

MattD1zzl3 posted:

Are you in a hurry or something? You could save even more time by not playing the video.

edit: Just kidding, i get what you are saying. Smith wouldnt be a good choice to host the show on the regular, but its part of his charm that he is long winded about what he is passionite about; its kind of what made him big in the first place. Forcing him to confine his "star wars" fanboyism to little 4 second sentences would really make it pointless to use him at all. They did good. People just have no attention span and are lovely on the internet, who is suprised?

I wasn't saying "he talks too much so now the video is too long!" I was pointing out that Smith's sections come off weird because you have a dude making short, snappy observations (talking really fast while doing it) and then Smith droning on for 30 seconds at a time. I'm not a fan of this series at all but it does have a very specific format and you are injecting a completely different style into it; it doesn't work.

You don't have to confine him to short micro-jokes but then don't have him on a video series where that is the whole point. And definitely don't mix the two styles because that makes it extra jarring. If you're going to have him guest host, let him do the video by himself and rant as long as he wants.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Guy A. Person posted:

You don't have to confine him to short micro-jokes but then don't have him on a video series where that is the whole point. And definitely don't mix the two styles because that makes it extra jarring. If you're going to have him guest host, let him do the video by himself and rant as long as he wants.

Yeah, we don't have all day, mate.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

Kevyn posted:

Maybe it'll be like Chasing Amy where the whole movie is a metaphor for his own career.

One thing that I started wondering about Chasing Amy is if Amy is actually the 'bad guy' in the story and Banky is right? Unfortunately, this reading sort of takes an MRA turn which would probably invalidate it.

fabergay egg
Mar 1, 2012

it's not a rhetorical question, for politely saying 'you are an idiot, you don't know what you are talking about'

WTF? Anyone over the age of 5 could recognize that they're in a mall. Hell one of my co-workers has two kids in their teens and he's always complaining about their hanging out at the mall. And a friend of mine owns his own cutlery store in a mall and year over year he's been doing better and better.

I think you might be overselling this just a tad.

yeah but exton is a blighted wasteland of strip malls and auto repair shops, with no redeeming qualities, and its mall absolutely 100% reflects that

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Commissar Of Doom posted:

He's supposed to start up interviews again at some point, maybe in 2016, but until then I can make due with Marc and Kevin making geek jokes about poo poo.

Yeah they said their moving to a three day a week format, which seems excessive imo

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
I just want more Mosier and Ingrham. Mewes and Ralph and Token Black can take a hike...

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

howe_sam posted:

Yeah they said their moving to a three day a week format, which seems excessive imo

Yeah, it seems way excessive. When he announced that I was hoping that one of the shows would be geared more toward interviews. Unless each episode is like 30 minutes (as opposed to the 2-hour + weekly ones now), then it just seems like there won't be enough interesting stuff to comment on three times a week.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

JediTalentAgent posted:

One thing that I started wondering about Chasing Amy is if Amy is actually the 'bad guy' in the story and Banky is right? Unfortunately, this reading sort of takes an MRA turn which would probably invalidate it.

Last time I watched it I thought the movie was kind of on the fence about who's right and who isn't, essentially deciding that it's a lovely situation that no one really tries to make better, well Holden does but in the most misguided way.

I'm sure people could view it in an MRA sort of way now, but it doesn't seem to be Smith's intention, and I'd argue that he shows more affinity for her plight throughout most of the movie than he does for anyone else, but it's all too easy to see people froth over the mouth about how she was a slut before but she won't be one for him and whatnot.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

DrVenkman posted:

Last time I watched it I thought the movie was kind of on the fence about who's right and who isn't, essentially deciding that it's a lovely situation that no one really tries to make better, well Holden does but in the most misguided way.

I'm sure people could view it in an MRA sort of way now, but it doesn't seem to be Smith's intention, and I'd argue that he shows more affinity for her plight throughout most of the movie than he does for anyone else, but it's all too easy to see people froth over the mouth about how she was a slut before but she won't be one for him and whatnot.

Oddly enough, the character I think he sort of portrays in the most sympathic light is maybe Hooper, who confides in passing about being a minority in a minority in a minority and has to openly hide his sexuality to keep his audience as opposed to Alyssa who is I think implied to be using her sexuality to keep one. Also, Hooper's comment on 'Lesbian Chic" which I think maybe comes into play, as well as Banky's distrust of her breaking up their own relationship.

My logic is sort of strange, but it comes back to just a few things for that film sort of says and does, though. But here's an MRA reading of the film centered around Alyssa's paraphrased outburst that "People didn't use her, she used them."

Alyssa's support base seems to be centered around the lesbian community and it's a community that seems to be very distrustful of the idea of her getting too close to Holden. Is she using the lesbian community for the benefit of her comic career and is starting to see cracks forming from her and Holden's relationship?

At the same time Holden gets interested in Alyssa just as the MTV deal he and Banky are working with is being discussed. IF her association with the lesbian community is/was to mainly help her with her comic, now that she's caught the eye of this fellow indie person about to hit it big she's willing to abandon that because being associated with Holden is going be a better career boon for her? It seems like once she and Holden seriously start getting together, her ties to the lesbian community that were accentuated earlier seem to vanish from the story entirely. I don't recall much about anyone from that group trying to confront her further about her relationship, her status, etc.

Her breakup with Holden is because she's finding herself in the position that Holden is trying to use her to get what he wants: He wants to keep Banky and wants to keep her. He thinks getting her to agree to his plan will fix all their problems and they can all be alright. She's smart enough to see, though, this path he feels they must be set on will ruin the relationship with Banky, the pair are going to self-destruct, and Holden/Banky's train to fame that she was going to attach herself to has been derailed.

The very end of the movie is her not even acknowledging to her (presumably?) new girlfriend who Holden was to her: She's once again back fully in the lesbian community to use them for her career and pretending like she never had a boyfriend at all and that he was just a random guy she knew.

Like I said, a very MRA reading, but also most likely even a misogynist and even a homophobic one, as it sort of paints Alyssa not as some sweet, innocent character, but one who is incredibly savvy about using her sexuality and creating a character to present to others for personal gain.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

At last! Kevin Smith's highly anticipated anthology film in his Tusk/Canadian film series finally drops a clip.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ITVxdU51ciE

um

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

So is he just rebooting Clerks now, but in Canada?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

what r u basic???

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Well I'm certainly not a sassy sexy sophomore rocking the smocks.

Mr. Unlucky
Nov 1, 2006

by R. Guyovich
when sequel walrus movie??????

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

That's what that movie is

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

CelticPredator posted:

That's what that movie is

Which one becomes a walrus?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I will say that Red State is not at all what I expected and a nice departure for Smith--I probably couldn't have figured out it was him if I didn't know.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

CelticPredator posted:

At last! Kevin Smith's highly anticipated anthology film in his Tusk/Canadian film series finally drops a clip.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ITVxdU51ciE

um

His fake social media effect sucks

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

So is a boring clip with wooden acting and "humorous" exaggerated Canadian accents meant to encourage people to watch his movie?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I expect better from a man raised on Degrassi Junior High.

Med School
Feb 27, 2012

Where did you learn how to do that?
I watched Chasing Amy when I was snowed in. In Holden's mature comic you can pause it and see the quote "you must always put an individual ABOVE their actions..."

So hes saying it's really bad she used to be a whore, but she's not anymore so it's ok...I guess.

The movie is not an anti whore shaming movie, but from that quote seems to share Holden's view that the girls past is horrible and wrong...

This movie is a square

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Vagabundo posted:

So is a boring clip with wooden acting and "humorous" exaggerated Canadian accents meant to encourage people to watch his movie?

Those Canadian accents only work, even as exaggerations, if those people are supposed to be developmentally challenged Canadians who live in a very specific part of Ontario.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014
Yoga Hosers looks like dogshit.

• Locked thread