Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

The brilliance of my posting illuminates the forums like a jar of shining gold when all around is dark

PiedPiper posted:

My uncle works at SA Forums.

Back to Kevin Smith discussion. Has anyone read Batman: The Widening Gyre by ours truly?
It's a perfect shitstorm of fanfiction-level writing, deviantart-level drawings and kevinsmith-level characters.

Here, for example, we have anatomically challenged Batman abusing his soon-to-be wife because he thought she was a robot or something:

It is ALMOST as fun as it sounds. But in a different, trainwreck-y kind of way.
It's glorious.

Is that the one where Joker takes it up the rear end in return for helping a dude bust out of prison and Batman pisses himself because a flashbang went off too close?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PiedPiper
Jan 1, 2014

Network Pesci posted:

Is that the one where Joker takes it up the rear end in return for helping a dude bust out of prison and Batman pisses himself because a flashbang went off too close?

That's the one, though to Smith's credit, Joker doesn't take it up the rear end, he is merely open to the possibility.
Unless my memory blocked those images, in which case I don't want to remember.

The Senator Giroux
Jul 9, 2006
Dead Ringer

Network Pesci posted:

It's also the one where Batman's girlfriend finds all his writing, and tells him he's a REALLY GOOD writer and that he should quit being Batman and be a writer because he's REALLY GOOD AT WRITING and even if he thinks it's just stuff that happens to him, it's REALLY GOOD and Bruce might as well be wearing a hockey jersey.

zandert33
Sep 20, 2002

The Senator Giroux posted:

It's also the one where Batman's girlfriend finds all his writing, and tells him he's a REALLY GOOD writer and that he should quit being Batman and be a writer because he's REALLY GOOD AT WRITING and even if he thinks it's just stuff that happens to him, it's REALLY GOOD and Bruce might as well be wearing a hockey jersey.

Is Batman a Mary Sue, or is Kevin Smith?

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
He's fat

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
More like a Mary GOO!

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

So where does Alanis Morissette fit into all of this?

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Vagabundo posted:

So where does Alanis Morissette fit into all of this?

Anywhere. She's really small.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
lmao https://www.fig.co/campaigns/jay-and-silent-bob-chronic-blunt-punch

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Gargamel Gibson posted:

Yoga Hosers looks like dogshit.

Yesterday I listened to a Live Fatman on Batman podcast. I can't reconcile in my head how that witty, funny, profane man is the same person who wrote and directed what's in the trailer.

InfiniteZero posted:

Those Canadian accents only work, even as exaggerations, if those people are supposed to be developmentally challenged Canadians who live in a very specific part of Ontario.

There's already a better example of that, a series called Letterkenny.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8EfVlyFK_Zs

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

The Yoga Hosers trailer might be one of the worst things I ever saw. I was cringing from embarrassment. And I LIKE Smith/Garman.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

The Senator Giroux posted:

:lol:

If that's true, I'm glad I skipped it. I saw a panel of Bruce on an island (which is fine), but the artwork was offputting. He had this weird constipated expression that just made me go :wtc:

NeuroticErotica
Sep 9, 2003

Perform sex? Uh uh, I don't think I'm up to a performance, but I'll rehearse with you...

Yoga Hosers is now on iTunes and it's even worse than I could have imagined.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Holy drat. Every single shot in this film is a dolly track going left or right and nothing else. Every. Single. Shot.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Man gently caress that movie. gently caress it hard. What a huge waste of time for everyone. All it amounted too was Kevin Smith bitching about his critics again.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

CelticPredator posted:

Kevin Smith bitching about his critics again.

lol really?

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

There's honestly no one I can think of with a more blessed life than Kevin Smith, but he still finds time to be an enormous baby about everything that doesn't go his way.

Super Fan
Jul 16, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

NeuroticErotica posted:

Yoga Hosers is now on iTunes and it's even worse than I could have imagined.

Go on...

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

There's a bit early on about Guy LaPointe whining about critics making GBS threads on his book on Tusk. Annoying but, okay. Then the ending hits where the Nazi scientist who froze himself and woke up in 2016, reveals his plan where he states that he had a artist dream once but the critics ruined it for him so he ended up being a Nazi scientist and he plans to kill and the critics with his butt sausage men who crawl into a giant meca-meat monster.

The critics! The critics! Someone must kill the critics!

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

CelticPredator posted:

There's a bit early on about Guy LaPointe whining about critics making GBS threads on his book on Tusk. Annoying but, okay. Then the ending hits where the Nazi scientist who froze himself and woke up in 2016, reveals his plan where he states that he had a artist dream once but the critics ruined it for him so he ended up being a Nazi scientist and he plans to kill and the critics with his butt sausage men who crawl into a giant meca-meat monster.

The critics! The critics! Someone must kill the critics!

haha, that's great in an awful way

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Smith also just announced he's dropping out of the Buckaroo Banzai tv revival if the original creators aren't going to take part. Which will give him more time to direct pretty good episodes of CW DC shows.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

howe_sam posted:

Smith also just announced he's dropping out of the Buckaroo Banzai tv revival if the original creators aren't going to take part. Which will give him more time to direct pretty good episodes of CW DC shows.

And now MGM is suing them.

http://birthmoviesdeath.com/2016/11/28/buckaroo-banzai-creators-being-sued-so-that-kevin-smith-can-remake-their-pr

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.

I don't want to see him remaking that movie.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Other way around, it was the lawsuit that caused Smith to bail.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Oh okay. That's good then.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
It's weird that Joe Dante & Kevin Smith have somehow ended up in really similar places career-wise

NeuroticErotica
Sep 9, 2003

Perform sex? Uh uh, I don't think I'm up to a performance, but I'll rehearse with you...

There's a plot about Satanism that pops up for two scenes and then is never talked about again.

There's several Guy Lapointe monologues about nothing.

The bad guy is a guy who speaks in impressions.

The action sequences are as competent as they were in Cop Out.

Most of the jokes are "Canadians say aboot"

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
Kevin Smith is maybe the wrong guy to do a Buckaroo Banzai remake or reimagining. I don't see him as having the tone of either carrying on the spirit of the original nor doing something incredibly different with it that would make it stand on its own. I'm trying to think of someone who stands out that makes me think they COULD do it, though, because I know jack poo poo about anyone in entertainment these days.

Max Landis, for what little I know of him and his work maybe seems like a guy who could do something with the concept.
Tim Burton MAYBE could pull it off, too. Discounting his last decade of film, maybe if Burton went and did a TV series as producer and setting a tone, it might work.
Bryan Fuller, maybe, as well. I know Bryan Singer directed it, but Fuller I think still wrote and produced the Mockingbird Lane pilot that I sort of liked. But he might be maybe too much a rising name to be attached to something like Banzai with being attached to stuff like American Gods and Star Trek.

All in all, though, I think Banzai is a property that can almost only exist in the 80s. It's got the scientists are literal rock stars theme going on it it, which was more an oddity back then, but today about half TV shows and movies are about 'rockstar-grade' geniuses. I guess today the idea of them being rockstar celebrity scientists is maybe an easier sell with the way we've put geek culture into the spotlight, but I get the feeling they'd be made into almost parodies of hipsterism and go full-on New Doctor Who.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

CelticPredator posted:

Man gently caress that movie. gently caress it hard. What a huge waste of time for everyone. All it amounted too was Kevin Smith bitching about his critics again.

Man, be careful. Critics just might make him angry enough to run for president.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Kevin Smith is the best argument in favor of keeping marijuana illegal. Look at take heed kids- not even once.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Yoga Hosers broke me a bit out of my depression to continue writing a script because holy hell, that movie should not have ever been made with the budget of 5 million dollars.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Was it one of those things where you think "Wow! If this piece of poo poo got produced then I must stand a chance because I can do so much better than that.".

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

FreudianSlippers posted:

Was it one of those things where you think "Wow! If this piece of poo poo got produced then I must stand a chance because I can do so much better than that.".

This is pretty much the one positive effect of Kevin Smith films. He convinces everyone they could make movies, increasing overall movie output.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
Yeah, Yoga Hosers stinks. I'm actually one of those people who found Tusk interpretively bearable, but I'm really just not in the mood for Kevin Smith pulling a nepotistic Clerks so he can once again admire a cleanly smooth consumer purgatory.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

His work still makes money regardless if it's considered trash or not. Good for him he should just embrace it and definitely stop smoking so much weed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I used to listen to smodcast pretty often and he claims (and to be honest, I don't think he'd lie about this) that he's really cautious with money and won't take on projects unless he's very sure he won't lose money. Apparently all his podcasts, comic stores and internet projects, etc break even or turn a profit.

• Locked thread