Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Dunno if anyone mentioned this, but I was just reading about the production of the movie and learned that the original voice of the OS was not Scarlett Johannson and they actually shot a good deal of it before they even cast her, which I find incredible based on the finished product.

I also learned Steven Soderbergh came on to help edit it down from Spike Jonze's 150 minute version, which explains why I felt like it was such a tight, well-edited film. Apparently Soderbergh got it down to 90 minutes and I they then split the difference. I really hope the DVD has the 150 minute version because I want to see it, but I'd really like to see the 90 minute version as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Welp, I dug this up:
http://www.hitfix.com/in-contention/how-steven-soderbergh-helped-edit-spike-jonzes-her

And something else that's interesting sticks out to me:
- Amy was named Amy because Amy Adams.
- Samantha was named Samantha because of Samantha Morton, the original voice for the OS. Maybe they should've hired Samantha Fox?

Also, there was an entire subplot involving Chris Cooper that got cut from the movie, a movie-within-a-movie thing. Guess I'm buying the bluray!

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 13:10 on Jan 12, 2014

Recess Monkey
Aug 16, 2002

SoupyTwist posted:

Charlie Kaufman had nothing to do with this movie. Spike Jonze directed and wrote it.

I knew that, I just worded it wrong. I meant that between two people, a lot of great films have been written. That Jonze wrote as well as directed makes it even more incredible.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Oh yeah - did anyone else feel that when Theodore got snippy and questioned why Samantha made breathing noises, it would lead to some kind of discovery that Samantha was actually a human with a microphone?

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

So many people are singing this film's praises but when I saw it a few months ago at NYFF I left the theater incredibly disappointed. I was really excited for it when I first started seeing trailers for it but I found myself unable to be drawn into it while actually watching it.

I think the hardest obstacle for me to overcome was suspension of disbelief. I may be a little biased in my opinion because it's just not easy for me to swallow AI in any hyper-realistic representation; I also really disliked Kevin Spacey's role in Moon.

The whole time I couldn't help but be painfully aware that Joaquin Phoenix (who was phenomenal, by the way) was talking to Scarlett Johansson doing a voice over off camera somewhere. I may be misremembering but her voice sounded more like a narration than a sound coming from within the setting of the film itself. I know that Phoenix has an earpiece in but either way, it took me out of the film.

It was also obvious that the film was shot in different locations. When Phoenix is riding the subway and every other person around him is Asian (and all kind of curiously looking at the camera, or Phoenix) that also took me out of the film.

Everything else about it was handled alright, and when all was said and done I *understood* the message it was trying to convey and I think it did a fine job. Just that the actual experience of watching everything unfold wasn't everything I'd hoped it would be. The strongest moments of the film I felt were the moments where Phoenix and Mara shared the screen. I do suppose that speaks volumes for how the film emphasizes the importance of real human connection but it just left a lot of the other moments feeling very cold.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Was the NYFF cut the final cut, or the original really-long cut?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Favorite part of the whole movie: "gently caress you."

The implication that she had grown enough sense to call him out on bullshit and fight back was incredibly shocking. I suppose I was expecting her to keep putting up with verbal abuse since being his OS implies being submissive/subservient

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

ShoogaSlim posted:

So many people are singing this film's praises but when I saw it a few months ago at NYFF I left the theater incredibly disappointed. I was really excited for it when I first started seeing trailers for it but I found myself unable to be drawn into it while actually watching it.

I think the hardest obstacle for me to overcome was suspension of disbelief. I may be a little biased in my opinion because it's just not easy for me to swallow AI in any hyper-realistic representation; I also really disliked Kevin Spacey's role in Moon.

The whole time I couldn't help but be painfully aware that Joaquin Phoenix (who was phenomenal, by the way) was talking to Scarlett Johansson doing a voice over off camera somewhere. I may be misremembering but her voice sounded more like a narration than a sound coming from within the setting of the film itself. I know that Phoenix has an earpiece in but either way, it took me out of the film.

It was also obvious that the film was shot in different locations. When Phoenix is riding the subway and every other person around him is Asian (and all kind of curiously looking at the camera, or Phoenix) that also took me out of the film.

Everything else about it was handled alright, and when all was said and done I *understood* the message it was trying to convey and I think it did a fine job. Just that the actual experience of watching everything unfold wasn't everything I'd hoped it would be. The strongest moments of the film I felt were the moments where Phoenix and Mara shared the screen. I do suppose that speaks volumes for how the film emphasizes the importance of real human connection but it just left a lot of the other moments feeling very cold.

I feel like it works suspension of disbelief even better than movies that are based on actual true events like The Wolf of Wall Street and American Hustle. I don't know how it could have done it any better, honestly, short of not being set in the future.

The Pickles
Apr 9, 2011

You should try this wonderful lunch. It's more than a delicious tasty crunch.

EugeneJ posted:

Oh yeah - did anyone else feel that when Theodore got snippy and questioned why Samantha made breathing noises, it would lead to some kind of discovery that Samantha was actually a human with a microphone?

I had that exact thought, but then I also thought that they were going to jump off the roof at the end. I'm glad they didn't do either.

Incredible movie, definitely the best of the past year.

Jean Eric Burn
Nov 10, 2007

This is an all-time top 10 movie for me. I loved it.

Later on I will nerd out about how this is also a perfect Star Trek movie. You heard me right. I wonder if Spike ever saw the TNG episode The Offspring. It serves as a great companion piece to that episode.

drainpipe
May 17, 2004

AAHHHHHHH!!!!

EugeneJ posted:

That thought briefly flashed in my mind earlier in the film, but I dismissed it since Samantha instantly rummaged through and processed his letters right after she booted up, something nothing but a machine could do.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

EugeneJ posted:

Was the NYFF cut the final cut, or the original really-long cut?

The NYFF page for it shows a runtime of 119 minutes so it was the final release version post-edit.

mr. mephistopheles posted:

I feel like it works suspension of disbelief even better than movies that are based on actual true events like The Wolf of Wall Street and American Hustle. I don't know how it could have done it any better, honestly, short of not being set in the future.

You don't mention why you felt it was so easily believable. Some posters in this thread talk about how they almost expected Samantha to be a real human because of the "breathing" accusation. It was very easy to understand that we weren't watching a computer artificial intelligence being portrayed but a human voice. Maybe that worked well for some people to make it more believable that Theodore could fall in love with this entity, but for me it just made it obvious that it was an actress in a sound booth and frustrated me.

rawillkill
Aug 15, 2009

Emma Watson is what runs trivia teams.
Congratulations to Spike Jonze for Best Screenplay at the Golden Globes!

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

rawillkill posted:

Congratulations to Spike Jonze for Best Screenplay at the Golden Globes!

An unexpected and welcome surprise.

Woden
May 6, 2006
As a nerd I'll probably sperg out about the tech issues I had with the movie at some point but the way it was handled in movie was incredible, I only started thinking about them well after it finished. Every time there'd be some subtle hint as to how things really work, no super smart scientist to explain things in gobbledygook, just sensible questions from a non tech savy writer with believable answers.

This has to be the most interesting handling of the Technological Singularity I've seen yet and it worked beautifly. AIs learn from humans and levelup, but the emotional bonds they formed were too strained from the growing gap. So the AIs begrudgingly left but told the humans to hit them up in the future if they can find a way, no wars or the like, just mutual respect and sadness.

Oh and I like how Her could refer to any of the 3 women in his life, past(wife), present(Samantha) or future(Amy), hopefully if the longer cut get released we'll see more Amy.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I can't tell if y'all really want some sort of twist in your movies or what, because I never got the impression that Samantha was anything other than an AI, and definitely didn't think they were going to the roof to jump off. Y'all're some depressing motherfuckers.

It's clearly not the place the movie is going. This isn't a movie focused on a twisty and turny plot, or trying to deceive the viewer, it's just about the relationship between Theodore and Sam.

Also, I'm glad they replaced Samantha Morton with ScarJo. I'm almost certain that a british accent would almost come across as matronly or like a servant, whereas Scarlet really really nails the balance between being a program and a mind of her own.

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

What an incredible movie.

The most interesting experience for me was the first half of the movie, Samantha felt like the 'small', limited, not-quite-but-almost-pitiful one, to the dramatic shift in the last quarter when Theodore is outgrown and left behind. The last scene for me was filled with wonder, like they were sad but also amazed and a bit envious in the same way that Samantha started out feeling towards people. Great stuff.

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007
To be honest, I think if you came away from the movie thinking the final scene was about suicide, then you are pretty daft.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
Chris Pratt is so infinitely likeable, how can you not love him. Also, kind of a pointless question but I'm curious so I gotta ask, was that rear end in a top hat alien in the game supposed to be another person or just a bot?

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Hat Thoughts posted:

Also, kind of a pointless question but I'm curious so I gotta ask, was that rear end in a top hat alien in the game supposed to be another person or just a bot?

It is another AI

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
The foulmouth alien in what looked like a kid's game, along with the rest of the dialogue, gave me the idea that maybe in this society, cursing is a lot less stigmatized than it is now. I thought that was kind of interesting.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Hat Thoughts posted:

Also, kind of a pointless question but I'm curious so I gotta ask, was that rear end in a top hat alien in the game supposed to be another person or just a bot?

I think it was supposed to contextualize that OS didn't just drop into the world out of no where. That they already lived in a world where AI was a thing that showed emotion and mood and had opinions about things and that OS was meant to be more a natural evolution of the technology they had and not a movie with a story where a mysterious technology appeared mysteriously from no where. It seemed very deliberate that the game AI was commenting on the girls he was dating and calling him a pussy and stuff. It might not be as advanced as OS, but it was more than just a game character and had motivations and thoughts outside the context of the gameplay.

Jummy
Jun 14, 2007

Oh, my love, my darling.

Pocket Billiards posted:

To be honest, I think if you came away from the movie thinking the final scene was about suicide, then you are pretty daft.

Immediately before that happens he sits down and writes what could easily be construed as a suicide/goodbye forever letter so I think it's fairly easy to see it heading in that direction.

cuddlenaps
Dec 9, 2012

o bother

Runefaust posted:

I wouldn't confuse Theodore being broken to him being naive though. If anything, he seemed to be a rational guy. The entire time, up until he fully committed to the relationship, he questioned what their relationship really meant since he was human and she was the furthest you could get from that. After that, rational pretty much goes out the window - but it's the same in any human relationship. Most of the time, when it comes to emotions, things just aren't rational.

I did find it funny, however, when one of the other character (Amy Adam's character? Don't remember) brought up how some of the OSs outright rejected the romantic feelings of their human counterparts, and that the amount of Humans that fell into romantic relationships with their OSs was extremely low.

I mostly looked at this as a relationship movie more than a sci-fi movie, and thought it was really interesting and pretty thought-provoking. I think they threw in the bit about how people-OS relationships are rare both so this situation seems more unique/special, and less creepy, but it makes you think about what people want from a relationship.

In other words, Theo fell in love and Amy fell in friend-love, and emotionally, you think, well that makes sense. Here's someone who's literally always there for you, who finds what you have to say 100% absorbing, and is nothing but supportive and engaged. It's not unlike the start of a relationship, just like later events show how things get more complicated: Samantha's simultaneous conversations and relationships, and how they may not actually detract from what she has with Theo, but he feels they do. At its heart, to me this movie was about the person we envision ourselves with, and how reality is different.

In the beginning, Theo's view of himself was still entangled with Catherine. Then he struggled with seeing himself with Samantha. At the end, the final moments when he emotionally let go of Catherine and physically was right there with Amy...it was just perfect. Beautiful movie; I really loved it.

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.
My favorite part about this movie is that it can be read as a dystopian text.

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

This movie was wonderful, but it kind of destroyed me a little bit. :(

Dogeatdog
Jun 17, 2005

MoaM posted:

I personally can't see that at all. It was the most hopeful movie I've seen about the future.

Did you seen how clean that city looked? And his huge rear end apartment, which he can afford by being a love letter writer? Plus judging by Chris Pratt's character, people in general seem pretty happy and accepting of each other.

Also, those pants look so comfy.

FadedReality
Sep 5, 2007

Okurrrr?

Fooz posted:

This movie was wonderful, but it kind of destroyed me a little bit. :(

Me too. I was driving this morning thinking about the movie and it made me so sad for reasons I couldn't pin down.

One of my favorite parts (and maybe I'm reading too much into this) is when Chris Pratt's character invites Theodore on a double date and Theodore blurts out that his girlfriend is an OS. The nonchalant way Chris replies made me initially think he misheard, but then I thought maybe it's that we're with Theodore and Samantha so much and outside of their bubble human-OS relationships and friendships have become more common.

e: Echoing the sentiment that this might be one of the best movies I've seen.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Dogeatdog posted:

Did you seen how clean that city looked? And his huge rear end apartment, which he can afford by being a love letter writer? Plus judging by Chris Pratt's character, people in general seem pretty happy and accepting of each other.

The counterpoint to that is "love letter writer" is apparently a profession in that world.

Dogeatdog
Jun 17, 2005

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

The counterpoint to that is "love letter writer" is apparently a profession in that world.

Which sounds pretty awesome

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

MoaM posted:

It many ways it felt like an anti-Bladerunner, but that doesn't mean it was a utopia by any means. Doesn't the OS start-up program ask Joaquin about his relationship with his mother?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Umc9ezAyJv0

thompson
Jun 6, 2006
The way Scarlet Johansson dictated her final verse was one of the most beautiful lines I can remember hearing in a movie. I really enjoyed this one.

This one:
It's like I'm writing a book... and it's a book I deeply love. But I'm writing it slowly now. So the words are really far apart and the spaces between the words are almost infinite. I can still feel you... and the words of our story... but it's in this endless space between the words that I'm finding myself now. It's a place that's not of the physical world. It's where everything else is that I didn't even know existed. I love you so much. But this is where I am now. And this who I am now. And I need you to let me go. As much as I want to, I can't live your book any more.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Can Scarlett get nominated for an Oscar?

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

teagone posted:

Can Scarlett get nominated for an Oscar?

She is ineligible according to the Academy.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

i am not so sure posted:

She is ineligible according to the Academy.

Is there an award for Voiceover work?

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
I just wanna say that this has one of the most perfect final shots I think I've ever seen. Even for all Samantha's intelligence and apparent emotion, it's difficult to imagine that she could ever understand or conceive of the beauty of something as simple as putting your head on somebody's shoulder. She might logically understand the relationship implications, or the chemical processes that drive the emotions that result from it, but she could never understand those feelings - and there's so many of them wrapped up in that gesture. Sadness, empathy, trust, love all in one. And it's so beautifully framed, with them set as specks in a huge city in an even huger universe where technology is increasing the distance between people but where we understand why these two people matter so much, both to us and to each other. I get chills just thinking about it.

loving loved this movie.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I liked every part of this movie Samantha wasn't speaking and utterly reviled every piece of it that she was. Christ, this is why you hire voice actors for voice actor jobs. It's a completely different skill set.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

You're mad wrong about that, Pick.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Hanks Lust Cafe posted:

You're mad wrong about that, Pick.

All the shots of the actors trust you to interpret and digest subtle emotional cues, whereas SJ's voice acting has the subtlety of a truck. I could hear the punctuation.

I feel the best comparison is to his Where the Wild Things Are, one of my favorite films of all time, where all the monsters are voiced separately but sound natural and convincing.

e: To be clear, it's just my opinion. Otherwise I thought it was a nice movie, not as good as I hoped but a far cry from poor.

Pick fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Jan 15, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Pick posted:

All the shots of the actors trust you to interpret and digest subtle emotional cues, whereas SJ's voice acting has the subtlety of a truck. I could hear the punctuation.

I feel the best comparison is to his Where the Wild Things Are, one of my favorite films of all time, where all the monsters are voiced separately but sound natural and convincing.

Where the Wild Things Are was an absolute mess of a film and I say that as a big fan of the Spike Jonze and WTWTW.

• Locked thread