Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Ghost Head posted:

by the way, for the poster on the previous page who complained about there being no singing in this genre, you should check out Le Cassette

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DOw0nottvI0&list=FL3nu6IwYoKKMtdvBas6qSfQ&index=6

Perturbator's last album "Sexualizer" had nothing but vocal tracks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Toadvine posted:

This music video, and Justice's other work, trend lightly towards 70s dystopia and disco but I like what you're saying.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gxu248aD6PY

Man, you can't put up Justice without putting this ode to branding graphics from the 80s, including the HBO "Starship" and Stephen J. Cannell...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GiDsLRQg_g4

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Bilal posted:

Perturbator is a fuckin' weirdo

Just thought I would bring this to light

Dude, you've seen the cover of Sexualizer? And his next album Dangerous Days, right? They are both :nws:

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

GIMMEL posted:

this is not retrowave but if you're retro and do coke like it's the 80s again it will blow your mind
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jhLJOnEBrP0

every single hair on my body is succumbing to the goosebumps right now

I'm getting nosebleeds from this.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

According to his Facebook, Protector 101, as had other artists, had been approached by Dreamworks to do a project in their "Classic Media" division, which holds the rights to stuff like VOLTRON and Masters Of The Universe. Unfortunately, they went with another composer, but he has said that he has music related to the project that he can release soon.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

I haven't seen any Gunship posted. This is a cute video, being render mostly in claymation, with a special guest star...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ONKi2S6YBSU

I'm particularly touched by this because I got introduced to it by a friend of mine who died a couple weeks later. :smith:

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Karl Rove posted:

From his Facebook feed :dance:

Well, he had an image of the album cover, done by the guy who did the Dangerous Days cover and the remake of I Am The Night, but, Perturbator being Perturbator, it featured a topless woman which got his Facebook account temporarily suspended.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Copper Vein posted:

Look, guys... I love this poo poo as much as anybody, and probably listen to at least Perturbator every goddamn day.

But how do we, as ultra-cynical jackass forumites, wade through the expanding sea of Retro Wave youtube playlists, each containing the word "Night" in the name of the artist or album, and a Ferrari Testarossa on the album art, and one track that is named after Miami, and one track that starts with sounds of rain and the revving an engine (of a Ferrari Testarossa), not roll our eyes right out of our loving heads?

Serious question here.

I'm on a Facebook group about new retro artists and designers and almost 90% of the work there is that cyan and magenta triangles, classical sculpture, a car like a Ferrari Testarossa, a Lambo Countach, or a Delorean and/or gridlines and chromed out 3D-text. It smacks of a lack of creativity. I think some people on that group recognize that and will begin criticizing lazy logos and such.

One of the things that make guys like Perturbator is that they do stuff outside their boundaries very often. "Sexualizer" is way different from from the electronic darkness that's "I Am The Night" and you have stuff like slow and sublime "Last Kiss" off "Dangerous Days", which really sounds like it should be used for the closing scene of a movie, or "Desire" off "IATN", which are different beasts from say the high energy of "Future Club" or "Retrogenesis" or "Raining Steel", the mystery of "Eclipse" or the thundering bass of "Raw Power".

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

laserghost posted:

I'm amazed you didn't mention fantastic collabs with Memory Ghost and Dead Astronauts. I really hope either of them will return for TUV. Or maybe Gunship will lend their voices.

Yeah, I probably should have. Perturbator's collaborations with other artists are pretty good. I think "Sexualizer" is probably sounds a lot different from his other work because he's bringing Flash Arnold and Tommy '86 in to smoove things out.

I forgot Gunship, too. I really like them, but I guess them more with their videography than their albums, because they got some awesome videos.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Copper Vein posted:

I'm a Dangerous Days butt-man, myself.

TBF, that is an awesome butt.

I'm not sure if anyone was on Perturbator's Facebook account when he got temporarily suspended due to posting the album cover when it was released, because this whole thing is sounding like that kerfuffle.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

EL BROMANCE posted:

Finding lost synthwave/outrun tracks is a nightmare. I've spent hours looking for a track that was on YouTube that sampled 'Rhythm of the Night' that I really dug but I can't find a trac of it.

I know what you're talking about. There's this cover of the theme to Assault On Precinct 13 that I'd like to get, but the download link on Soundcloud was removed.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

KakerMix posted:

I kinda think ~New Retro Wave~ has already kinda went mainstream, lots of pop music is already drawing off it a lot and some acts are getting into some high budget things.
I'm glad of it.

The new Nine Inch Nails EP is very synthwave inspired.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gDV-dOvqKzQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

So, saw Perturbator in concert last night.

It was pretty sweet.