Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Five songs into dark all day.

Gunship still loving amazing y'all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

jeeves posted:

I was pretty cold on the new Gunship because I loving hate Ready Player One, and their Dark All Day and When You Grow Up were kinda meh.

But it all grew on me.

I thought Artemis & Parzival was too slow, When You Grow Up had too short a hook and waaay too much filler, and Dark All Day had the sax cranked to 14 when 11 woulda been good. All the same, they're fine songs to fit into a larger picture, so long as they're not the album highlights.

Ultimately they're three of the weakest songs on the album. I don't think this tops their debut, but it's close enough to make me happy.

Pander fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Oct 5, 2018

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

:stare:

and they're coming to Portland in a month, huh?

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Yeah looking through comments in the NRW YouTube or carpenter Brut videos is always a depressing slog. I mean, that's true anywhere, but yeah, not a huge surprise that Nazis are especially intrigued by a nostalgia-heavy genre.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

basic hitler posted:

why is that?

Previous attendees cited poor mixing. All you hear is wall of noise.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fishstick posted:

I have a 900 song Spotify playlist I've made over the years, and I just let spotify create a radio from it. Occasionally I find some new stuff through it, unfortunately a lot of the smaller artists aren't on Spotify though.

Guitars absolutely belong in synth. Ultraboss, Powernerd, Meteor, etc is all really good shredwave.

I love LeBrock's outro solo on Call Me.

I dunno if most people feel like I do, but I think synthwave's a pretty wide open genre. Dynatron, Perturbator, and The Midnight are all wildly different thematically, but I'd still put them under the same umbrella. "I know it when I hear it" is a bad way to define synthwave, but meh, it's how I feel.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tLRPcYa41E8

NEW MAGIC SWORD SINGLE

e: HOLY poo poo THIS SLAPS SO loving HARD, IT'S LIKE A PART 2 OF THE CURSE

e2: oh my god the part that starts at 4:00 :tviv: :shittypop:
So it's Sirius by Alan Parsons Project, except three times longer, with a super wet kick that doesn't stop, and a two and a half minute wailing solo to close it out.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ex9lUmaQxbM

This is neat. It's a remix of a remix of a song from the Chrono Cross OST, done in the style of The Midnight.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

MockingQuantum posted:

I've been really getting into retro wave lately, but I'm very new to the genre. I've mostly been listening to Perturbator, Makeup and Vanity Set, Carpenter Brut, and Gunship. What should I definitely, absolutely be checking out? I'm looking for both heavy, driving stuff and more atmospheric stuff.

That list pretty closely mirrors what I dig, and the main band you're missing that I love is The Midnight. Their closest comp would be Gunship, 80s-focused synths with sax and vocals and stuff that really runs the gamut from slower ballads to uptempo stuff that slaps with sax and guitar solos.

Their most recent album (Kids) is hit and miss, but almost everything off Days of Thunder, Endless Summer, and Nocturnal is good.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Anyone seen the Midnight live? Seeing em in Portland in August with the wife. She's not too much into retrowave, but did dig some of their more poppy stuff like Gloria, Jason, America 2. Hoping they kinda go more that way than instrumental concept stuff.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

The midnight shred live. Jesus what a show. I'm too old for this poo poo.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Alan Smithee posted:

You will lose your wife to the Midnight. Sorry bro

she's looking up tyler lyle's solo stuff. I lost her.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

ShoogaSlim posted:

seeing The Midnight tonight in LA. stoked.

you loving should be. I'm guessing they just got on the stage and everyone's singing along to Lost Boy.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Photex posted:

Probably got tired of her phoning it in, I haven't seen a single video with her where she has impressed me live

There was a girl who played guitar who sang Nikki's part in Jason in Portland. Was that Nikki? I didn't really know one way or another.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Cyril Sneer posted:

I saw The Midnight a few weeks ago. They played neither American Online nor Memories, which are basically their best songs.
I don't generally listen to America Online. It's...there? It's okay, I guess?

And better than Sunset, Los Angeles, Gloria, Shadows, Lost Boy, Wave, Jason, Comeback Kid, or Days of Thunder?

That's a hell of a take.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

The best is really Lost and Found (Tyler Lyle not-a-remix)

(Not gonna lie wife and I are addicted to Lyle's solo stuff atm)

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Xenix posted:

I wish there had been more new songs (since Reborn and Colossus have been out for a while), but I really like the album.

Kinda deflated the gunship dark all day album for me too, having three of the most unique songs off the album as way early singles. Of the songs left, too many were underwhelming or not my cup of tea, so the album release felt kinda weak after the hype.

It's a fine album, just well short of their first.

Listened to the first half of the new magic sword...they really like that daft punk kinda sound don't they? It's cool, just didn't blow my mind. Colossus is still the best track.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

apparently last DwtD show in Portland had awful acoustics. Wonder Ballroom owns, should fix that.

My wife loved The Midnight, but I haven't at all been able to get her on board with DwtD or Magic Sword. I might be going solo to this one.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Photex posted:

Just finished watching Sound & Fury and yeah that was loving good and cool. I had no idea who Sturgill Simpson was and only knew of this due to the Netflix ad.

I meant to watch this back in Sep but forgot about it until I just randomly saw it while scrolling through netflix stuff to have on in the background while doing work.

Groovy album, outside of a couple meh songs that got repetitive quickly. I was a bit offput at first expecting A Synthwave Album type sound, but dug it a lot more when the fusion kinda clicked. The experimentation and melding of sounds gave me Bowie vibes.

Videos were kinda hit and miss. The stuff that missed wasn't bad, just wasn't to my taste (mostly highly depressing stuff, like the kitty in the nuke :()

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Guitar reminds me of some songs off the soundtrack of digital devil saga.

https://youtu.be/5z4Jy4FPW3A

https://youtu.be/OPixpxPm8hc

They're not as synthwave though.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

droll posted:

Why doesn't GUNSHIP tour the USA?

Gunship? Tour?

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

droll posted:

This is great. Fans of The Midnight and FM-84 might really like Platforms.

Yeah, this one kinda feels like a mix between the midnight and death cab for cutie

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5czupdesY14

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

ShoogaSlim posted:

yeah i love The Midnight but Kids is a snoozer overall. i do like America 2 but that's about the only song i'd actively seek to put on from that album.

agree that right out of the gate Deep Blue is extremely promising for what Monsters can be as an album. not too far off now

Kids was supposed to be bigger, but in a Q&A they said some RL stuff limited how much they could do. It grew on me over time. Lost Boy, Waves, Explorers, America 2, and Kids (Reprise) are all good listens. Really the issue is just the interstitial sections don't add much. Take them out, and I enjoy listening to Kids more than Nocturnal.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Superrodan posted:

I saw some chat about Kids earlier in the thread, and I just wanted to chime in in defense of it. Explorers is by far my favorite track by The Midnight, I love it SO much. Any album with that song on it can't be all bad.

It's a great EP mistakenly marketed as a full album.

Lost boy, explorers, America 2, Wave, and the Kids reprise are all stellar midnight songs. America 2 was especially good in concert. I don't think fans dislike Kids, it just would have left a better impression if there wasn't so much filler.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Just listened to their remix of Tyler's solo Brooklyn. Fantastic slow jam.

Hyped for the rest.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Uh what? It's not in the top three on that album.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

It's a solid B from me. It's like 1/3 gently caress yeah, 1/3 pretty good, and 1/3 skip.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Shoehead posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=?O1zH6hEm-ec

Ey I know there's a heap of The Midnight fans itt. Here's a 6 minute video of someone playing Crystalline so well they must be ambidextrous or something

Also there's a new Mega Drive album out and it looks like they took their habit of kind of wandering off during a song and channelled it into making something that sounds kind of like demoscene music, and while I'm not sure if I like it or not I know if I heard it on a Megadrive or and Amiga 500 as a kid I would have lost my mind

Link isn't working for me, sure it's correct or still exists?

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

I would absolutely lose my poo poo hearing the solo in Neon Medusa live.

Why do they have half the meh songs on monsters they do and not these?

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

I don't blame people for skipping on an amazon exclusive, but goddamn I feel for you missing out on Neon Medusa.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Really digging the new Magic Dance album. It's like the best possible cross of Dance with the Dead and crap rock 80s ballads like Your Love by The Outfield.

Eminently jammable.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Tickets for the Midnight fall tour out now. I snagged some VIP tix to the Portland show. Went to their show 2 years ago, very very worth it.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Yeah, clearly chamber orchestra, not opera house. I like Tyler's vocals a lot, so it's still good to me, but I'm seeing them in November and I'm way more hype for neon Medusa live than anything else they've done in the last few years.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Shoehead posted:

Yeah he's a big fan of sampling Retrowave artists without compensation

https://twitter.com/vanityset/status/1422192577319784449?s=19

Fixed.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Saw The Midnight tonight, just about 2 years since the last time they were in town. Different show with Tim on a full drum set. Also being in seats instead of on the floor is its own thing.

New song y'all: https://youtu.be/ByiDvRUG-S8

Apologies for, y'know, quality issues in the recording and nearby person's foot.

Opening act was Jupiter Winter, made up of the bassist and lead guitar throwing down the solo there. Sounded neat, midnight-y by way of chvrches.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

ShoogaSlim posted:

i wanna click to see/hear the new song, but i'll be in denver and then austin seeing the tour three times. that feels very nerdy to admit but whatever, i have buddies in both cities who love the midnight and i just got laid off so plenty of free time woo!

You can see the tour four times, they're live streaming the last show in LA later this month.

Superrodan posted:

I only listened to the beginning but it looks like they're kicking back into high gear with at least one song on their next album. Looking forward to it, as much as I loved their ballads and would consider Explorers my favorite song by them, I've been missing stuff like Gloria and Days of Thunder.
Yeah the new song felt *very* different for the midnight, almost like a cover of a Scorpions song with a touch of carpenter brut. Conceptually it makes sense if the Horror Show sound wasn't a one-off collab with Essenger, and they're going to build around a darker, more rock-forward sound.

Of course, the release of deep blue had me thinking Monsters would be entirely comprised of slapping sax heavy bangers, and in the end it felt more low tempo and experimental. So who knows.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

ShoogaSlim posted:

new brut song is good y'all crazy

Eh. It just sounds so monotone. I can skip to any part of the song and it'll sound the exact drat same.

I miss the dynamic range of trilogy.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

droll posted:

Black metal people being wishy washy on Nazism? I am shocked.

Perturbator is black metal?

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Photex posted:

I prefer GUNSHIP taking their time to as opposed to The Midnight just pumping stuff out every few months it feels like
Nah. Dark All Day was a few bangers and a lot of bloaty meh, which is about equal to the Midnights worst album (monsters). Horror Show was all bangers, so I'm writing off Monsters as a miss rather than the norm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Photex posted:

I was on vacation but saw that The Midnight dropped a new single

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDLZWX5hla0

it's been awhile since one of their singles have really grabbed me.
It's good. Even better in concert, more energetic.

They're going on tour again, grabbed my ticket for Portland.