Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Me and the boys on the way to kill another demon god

Grawl posted:

Spreadsheet updated. I started Kirby's Super Star, and it just seems to be a bunch of very short games.

I guess the goal is to just beat those?

Simply put, yes. That's why there are recommended self-imposed challenges for some of the games. You'll know you've completed each game necessary when you unlock sound check mode, which is after beating the Arena. Also, there are more mini games and challenges for Ultra on the DS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

you were warned
Jul 12, 2006

(the S is for skeleton)
Count me in!

I want to start at the beginning, and I don't have the early games, so I ordered a copy of the Wii collection. I'm excited :3:

heartcatcher
Oct 6, 2007

:patriot: woof :patriot:
I recommend a "get all treasures in Great Cave Offensive" goal for Super Star, since they're really optional and skipping them makes that one really short. Same for getting all the copy abilities in Milky Way Wishes.
Other than that, yeah, I guess just finishing every single game in the collection should be the "clear" for the game.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

glod posted:

I recommend a "get all treasures in Great Cave Offensive" goal for Super Star, since they're really optional and skipping them makes that one really short. Same for getting all the copy abilities in Milky Way Wishes.

I'll vote for these as well. It's something everyone who plays Super Star should do at least once anyway.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

A reminder for Great Cave Offensive: some of them are a lot easier to grab with a second player. Figure out the 2P input for whatever version you're doing.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

alf_pogs finished Kirby's Dream Land, normal mode, the usual amount of HP. Pretty straight-up little romp that was pretty fun.

Man the music in all these Kirby games so far is just so good. The Castle Lololo theme has been stuck in my head for about two hours now. Just terrific.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

alf_pogs posted:

Man the music in all these Kirby games so far is just so good. The Castle Lololo theme has been stuck in my head for about two hours now. Just terrific.

I've been iumpressed by a lot of things in the early games I thought were added or polished later. For example Adventure has a lot of copy powers that took a hiatus from Superstar (such as Tornado) and that's where I got my idea of what the "basic" powers were. Also the sprite animation even on the basic games shows a lot of love.

heartcatcher
Oct 6, 2007

I beat Kirby's Dream Land 2 and got all the rainbow drops. Didn't really feel like 100%ing it. It's another nice game that I hadn't played much of before. It was nice to revisit it.

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

InterrupterJones is done with Kirby's Adventure 100%. I may some time in the future get around to doing the extra mode, but that just doesn't seem appealing to me after grinding through it all day. It wasn't too long, but it still felt a tad longer than I remember. May have to try doing extra mode in Nightmare in Dreamland if I can be bothered to care.

Also, on level 7-2 anyone who didn't take the more difficult path above the starting door is a total bitch.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
Count me in for the suckfest.

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.
Saigyouji has beaten Kirby's Dream Land on Extra Game.

DoYouHasaRabbit
Oct 8, 2007
Why is Kirby's Tilt n' Tumble not on this list?

I remember that game being a real loving challenge. I'm assuming it's not on the list because you can't emulate it easily...

Grawl
Aug 28, 2008

Do the D.A.N.C.E
1234, fight!
Stick to the B.E.A.T
Get ready to ignite
You were such a P.Y.T
Catching all the lights
Just easy as A.B.C
That's how we make it right

DoYouHasaRabbit posted:

Why is Kirby's Tilt n' Tumble not on this list?

I remember that game being a real loving challenge. I'm assuming it's not on the list because you can't emulate it easily...

Because there are a lot of games on the list already. If people go through these games very fast, I might add more Kirby games. This is all covered in the OP.

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

I've completed 1/3rd of Kirby air rides checklist with City trial completed.

some of the challenges for it have to happen by pure luck, other times I had to use purple squares to complete otherwise impossible tasks.

Air rides checklist is next.

Chat
Jun 3, 2011
Chat has finished Kirby's Dream Land 2 with 100% completion rating.

That... got pretty rough. I don't know if it's just me, but I think this was one of the harder Kirby games to 100%. Maybe it's just because this was my first time playing this one.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Chat posted:

That... got pretty rough. I don't know if it's just me, but I think this was one of the harder Kirby games to 100%. Maybe it's just because this was my first time playing this one.

The last rainbow drop puzzle is really quite good.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Suggestion for Kirby 64, have a completed and all shards + Secret Boss goal.

Grawl
Aug 28, 2008

Do the D.A.N.C.E
1234, fight!
Stick to the B.E.A.T
Get ready to ignite
You were such a P.Y.T
Catching all the lights
Just easy as A.B.C

KildarX posted:

Suggestion for Kirby 64, have a completed and all shards + Secret Boss goal.

- All shards
- Secret boss

Or just

- All shards + secret boss?

Also spreadsheet updated, as per usual.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Kirbys Dream Land finished. Did it a couple days ago before work. Took like 40 minutes.

Anyone with the Wii collection know how to get the drat game to return to the main menu? It just sits on the victory screen even if I take the game out and reset it.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

alf_pogs finished Kirby's Adventure with 100%. I'd never played this completely before. What a great game, unbelievably complex for a NES game.

Chat
Jun 3, 2011

TheHoosier posted:

Anyone with the Wii collection know how to get the drat game to return to the main menu? It just sits on the victory screen even if I take the game out and reset it.

To reset the Game Boy and NES games, press the 1, 2, + and - buttons at the same time.

For the SNES and N64 games, the combination is L, R, + and -.

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from
Welp, on a whim I finished Kirby's Dreamland with No Lives Lost. No extra mode or anything fancy, just decided to quick cruise through the game.

I did it because I really do not like Kirby's Dreamland 3.

e: and in another dreamland 3 break I beat Dreamland 2, lost some lives in world 5 and 7 though :(. I might go back and 100% it later.

Arrrthritis fucked around with this message at 11:36 on Jan 5, 2014

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Well, I went back and finished Kirby's Dream Land on extra mode.

Kracko actually seemed easier on this run, but Whispy Woods and that drat blimp can get lost. Ridiculous.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Kirby Dreamland 2 complete

On to my favorite. Kirby Superstar.

Grawl posted:

- All shards + secret boss?

This, because if you're gonna go through the hassle of collecting all shards you might as well fight the secret boss you get to fight by collecting them.

Defenestrategy fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Jan 5, 2014

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Barfing Cumlord beat Kirby's Adventure. No special challenges, though; that game is longer than I remember.

you were warned
Jul 12, 2006

(the S is for skeleton)
Currawong beat Kirby's Dream Land.

Talk about a forgiving game. Dying doesn't set you back very far, and neither does using a continue! I guess it's very kid-friendly. It sure is cute. :3:

Grawl
Aug 28, 2008

Do the D.A.N.C.E
1234, fight!
Stick to the B.E.A.T
Get ready to ignite
You were such a P.Y.T
Catching all the lights
Just easy as A.B.C
These guys are about to stream Kirby. You might want to tune in!

woofbro
Nov 25, 2013

woofbro beat Kirby's Dreamland

Quick game really, this is the only Kirby I've ever beaten.
I never really knew how much Kirby influence goes into the Smash Bros. series, like the Curry for instance.
Next up is Kirby's Adventure, I'm intrigued to see how Kirby's Adventure looks on the 3DS.

Snakeman
Nov 23, 2007

"Die, little Ninja."
Snakeman beat Kirby's Dreamland 2 100% Completion.

Good game, been a long time since I've played it. Harder than I remember, dark matter fight requiring a lot more patience than I expected.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Thauros beat Kirby's Adventure - 100% Regular Mode

Longer game than I remembered

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Kirby Super Star Complete, I liked this one a lot except for Great Cave Offensive. I really don't like that one.

This is also the Kirby I learned the awesome power of parasol. I thought it was useless, now I feel it's the most over powered power.

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

InterrupterJones has completed Kirby's Dreamland 2 100%. loving hell that final boss fight was much harder than I remember. That is, of course, until I figured out the trick to beat it quicker; the rainbow drops, however, were easier to find than I thought they'd be.

BreakTargets
Apr 5, 2009

Just a random Spiral Knight...
BreakTargets has beaten Kirby's Adventure without getting a single non-mandatory ability.

BreakTargets fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Jan 12, 2014

heartcatcher
Oct 6, 2007

glod has gotten 100% on Kirby Super Star.

The castle area of Great Cave Offensive is awful on single player and so is the Arena but oh well!

Snakeman
Nov 23, 2007

"Die, little Ninja."
Snakeman has beaten Kirby's Dreamland 3 100% including all heart stars, secret boss, boss butch, MG5 (mini-game rush), and jumping mini game.

As a kid I rented Kirby Superstar all the time but my folks wouldn't buy me it. When they finally agreed to buy it they couldn't find it in stores, and instead bought me Dreamland 3 as it had just come out. I was so disappointed until I started playing the game with a friend and I had a blast. I really enjoy the game, maybe not as much as superstar, but it's probably my 3rd favorite behind adventure and superstar, mostly cause I like collecting the heart stars. The boss rush is a bitch, and that jumping mini-game took me a ton of tries to get over 10 points in.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

I played Kirby's Dream Land on emulator and liked it so much that I decided that, in addition to buying a physical copy of it in the near-ish future, Kirby's Adventure wouldn't be played emulated.

I'll be back when it's 100% done

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

Wow, CIB, I'm impressed!

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

I only buy games CIB, it's part of the curse of being a sperglord

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

glod posted:

glod has gotten 100% on Kirby Super Star.

The castle area of Great Cave Offensive is awful on single player and so is the Arena but oh well!

Maybe you just aren't sucking enough. :smuggo: That game's great as a sort of Kirbyvania, but yeah a couple of treasures are really tricky without a partner.

I really wanna give this a shot, though I kinda signed up for the Mario Marathon and completely forgot about it a week later. But sure, whatever, I'm in! Also Air Ride is balls hard to 100% finish, so good luck guys!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Finished Kirby's Adventure 100%. Took longer than I had anticipated but definitely had a blast going down memory lane. I didn't do anything special except 100%. Didn't run out of lives if that counts for something.

• Locked thread