Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tinkerttoy
Dec 30, 2013

by XyloJW
Hell yeah, I love Kirby! It is here that I shall test my mettle. Count me in!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Add me to the "Forgot how awesome and complex Kirby's Adventure is" group. There's a lot going on for a NES game, the likes of which aren't matched except for maybe SMB3. I loved the game as a child and still enjoyed it immensely today. Platforming doesn't get much better than the Kirby franchise.

Except Kirby 64. Not looking forward to that.

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Me and the boys on the way to kill another demon god

TheHoosier posted:

Except Kirby 64. Not looking forward to that.

Indeed, this game always struck me as the black sheep of the franchise. At least it has the ability mixing and some interesting boss fights; otherwise, it'd be completely useless. Slow, short, kinda uninspired, and just an overall bore.

I plan on doing Kirby Superstar tonight around 11:00 PM EST, so if anyone wants to tune in feel free. I'll post the link when I start, and will post a vid of it afterwards since I plan on doing all of the challenges listed.

tinkerttoy
Dec 30, 2013

by XyloJW
Oh man!

Kirby's Dreamland is half-finished; I think I'll be going for Extra Mode as well, just for the sake of getting really good at the original gameplay. It's surprisingly easy to play without copy ability. I usually take on the bosses without it anyways, so I guess that makes sense. I have a question about the boss rush areas, though:

What's up with these guys?

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Kirby's Adventure: 100%

Might be going back for Extra Mode.

I am loving these games and feel bad for ignoring the franchise for so long. On the other hand, modern games have me so jaded and indifferent to them that I'm glad there are old series' like this one that I can play for the first time and thoroughly enjoy.

heartcatcher
Oct 6, 2007

:patriot: woof :patriot:
glod has beaten Kirby's Dream Land 3 with all Heart Stars.

I got 99% by getting everything in the main game and completing the boss rush but I don't really feel like doing the jumping minigame yet. I might come back for it.

heartcatcher fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Jan 15, 2014

g0lbez
Dec 25, 2004

and then you'll beg

Snakeman posted:

Snakeman has beaten Kirby's Dreamland 3 100% including all heart stars, secret boss, boss butch, MG5 (mini-game rush), and jumping mini game.

As a kid I rented Kirby Superstar all the time but my folks wouldn't buy me it. When they finally agreed to buy it they couldn't find it in stores, and instead bought me Dreamland 3 as it had just come out. I was so disappointed until I started playing the game with a friend and I had a blast. I really enjoy the game, maybe not as much as superstar, but it's probably my 3rd favorite behind adventure and superstar, mostly cause I like collecting the heart stars. The boss rush is a bitch, and that jumping mini-game took me a ton of tries to get over 10 points in.

You actually did all that jumping mini-game poo poo? jesus christ dude

Niemat
Mar 21, 2011

I gave that pitch vibrato. Pitches love vibrato.

Sign me up if you guys will accept a late comer!! I'm a huge Kirby fan, and I own all but two of the games! I'm actually already playing through Epic Yarn.

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Me and the boys on the way to kill another demon god
We are live! Gonna be streaming Super Star until I finish it, and accomplish all of the "challenges". Feel free to join in, it'll be very casual.

EDIT: I don't even know...I'll update with results later. Streaming on a bad computer sucks rear end.

EDIT2: InterrupterJones has 100% beaten Kirby Super Star, as well as all treasures in Great Cave Offensive and all copy abilities in Milky Way Wishes. I must've tried at least a dozen times to beat the Arena with Suplex only or not taking a single hit, but that's incredibly frustrating so gently caress that noise. The stream from last night was horribly rocky to start, but eventually it happened. I don't recommend watching the video though, it was a pretty bad stream. Also, here's a pic to verify 100% since I didn't finish last night, what with the computer dying and all that.

InterrupterJones fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Jan 15, 2014

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
But Rocks Hurt Head has completed the following:

Kirby's Dream Land - Complete

Kirby's Dream Land Extra Mode - Complete

Kirby's Dream Land 2 - Complete

Kirby's Dream Land 2 - 100%

Including finding this little twerp:

Played on Kirby 25th Anniversary Collection for the Wii. Man, the final boss fight for KDL2 brought me back :allears:

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Kirby's Adventure - Extra Mode complete

Welp, I don't have money for any other games so I guess I get to emulate everything up to Canvas Curse :negative:

DEEP STATE PLOT fucked around with this message at 12:14 on Jan 15, 2014

BreakTargets
Apr 5, 2009

Just a random Spiral Knight...
BreakTargets has beaten Kirby's Dream Land 2 without getting a single non-mandatory ability. Also, this is my first time I ever beat this game.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

I'm in!
I beat Kirby's Dream Land.
It was very disappointing.
Nobody told me there was no copy ability!

g0lbez
Dec 25, 2004

and then you'll beg
Can getting the infinite mic glitch in Kirby's Adventure and holding on to it throughout the entire game count as a challenge? Although I'm not sure if you can keep it past Metaknight unless there's another glitch I'm unaware of.

Grawl
Aug 28, 2008

Do the D.A.N.C.E
1234, fight!
Stick to the B.E.A.T
Get ready to ignite
You were such a P.Y.T
Catching all the lights
Just easy as A.B.C
That's how we make it right

g0lbez posted:

Can getting the infinite mic glitch in Kirby's Adventure and holding on to it throughout the entire game count as a challenge? Although I'm not sure if you can keep it past Metaknight unless there's another glitch I'm unaware of.

If you elaborate a bit more on that, sure.

g0lbez
Dec 25, 2004

and then you'll beg
Basically if you finish off the second world boss with the last of your Mic power while positioned perfectly over where the star rod appears the game glitches out and gives you practically infinite uses of the Mic.

I guess it's kind of challenging in the fact that while Mic is pretty powerful there are a few situations where it's not entirely practical and also the fact that you can't lose it so if you get hit you find yourself on a mad scramble to get it back before it shatters instantly over a group of spikes conveniently nearby.

Grawl
Aug 28, 2008

Do the D.A.N.C.E
1234, fight!
Stick to the B.E.A.T
Get ready to ignite
You were such a P.Y.T
Catching all the lights
Just easy as A.B.C

g0lbez posted:

Basically if you finish off the second world boss with the last of your Mic power while positioned perfectly over where the star rod appears the game glitches out and gives you practically infinite uses of the Mic.

I guess it's kind of challenging in the fact that while Mic is pretty powerful there are a few situations where it's not entirely practical and also the fact that you can't lose it so if you get hit you find yourself on a mad scramble to get it back before it shatters instantly over a group of spikes conveniently nearby.

Alright, I'll add it to the OP.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Justin_Brett has finished Kirby's Adventure 100%.

Snakeman
Nov 23, 2007

"Die, little Ninja."
Snakeman has beaten Kirby: Nightmare in Dreamland (Adventure) 100%

Kirby's Adventure is my favorite Kirby game and I had recently played it on the WiiU Virtual Console so I thought I'd mix it up and play the GBA remake. I might go back and complete EX mode and Meta Knightmare mode but that's for another time.

tinkerttoy
Dec 30, 2013

by XyloJW
I simply cannot beat King Dedede in Dreamland 1's Extra Mode, so I'm moving on to Kirby's Adventure. I'll be aiming for 100%, wish me luck.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

Quidnose has beaten Kirby's Dreamland 2 with 100%

The secret boss took me FOREVER. And then I was all set to be pissed at the mini games and finding the girl blob, but apparently I picked her up somewhere while I was playing :v:

On to Kirby Super Star Ultra! I'm excited!

BreakTargets
Apr 5, 2009

BreakTargets has beaten Kirby's Dream Land 3 without getting a single non-mandatory ability.

tinkerttoy
Dec 30, 2013

by XyloJW
Oh man!

Strike off another game, because tinkerttoy has completed Kirby's Adventure 100%! I'm not even going to attempt Extra Mode being the filthy scrub I am.
I wish I had access to the original games and consoles like the rest of you. I can't help but feel jealous as I scroll through the thread.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

Great cave offensive is driving me CRAZY. But I will conquer it~

Also, I created an IRC chatroom if anyone wants to hang out and rage at Kirby games. #kirbython on synirc.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

UltimoDragonQuest has beaten Canvas Curse.

100% requires you to beat every level 4 times. :negative:

BreakTargets
Apr 5, 2009

BreakTargets has beaten Kirby 64 without getting a single non-mandatory ability even though there aren't any parts of that game that force you to use an ability.

edit: also beaten Kirby Squeak Squad without getting a single non-mandatory ability

BreakTargets fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Jan 26, 2014

Chat
Jun 3, 2011
Chat has completed Kirby Super Star 100%. That includes all treasures in Great Cave Offensive collected and all copy abilities in Milky Way Wishes found.

Grawl
Aug 28, 2008

Do the D.A.N.C.E
1234, fight!
Stick to the B.E.A.T
Get ready to ignite
You were such a P.Y.T
Catching all the lights
Just easy as A.B.C

BreakTargets posted:

BreakTargets has beaten Kirby 64 without getting a single non-mandatory ability even though there aren't any parts of that game that force you to use an ability.

edit: also beaten Kirby Squeak Squad without getting a single non-mandatory ability

I much rather you create a separate post, rather than editing a 4 day old post, because I almost missed your edit. I spoke with Zoolooman about it (moderator) and he's ok with double posting as long as it's not back to back.

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

woops forgot to post.

I've beaten Kirby Dreamland and Kirby's Adventure

BreakTargets
Apr 5, 2009

Grawl posted:

I much rather you create a separate post, rather than editing a 4 day old post, because I almost missed your edit. I spoke with Zoolooman about it (moderator) and he's ok with double posting as long as it's not back to back.

Oh, that's fine. Anyways, BreakTargets beat Kirby's Return to Dream Land, you guessed it, without getting a single non-mandatory ability. Only Kirby Super Star, and Kirby and the Amazing Mirror left.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
Looper just beat Kirby and the Amazing Mirror, 100%. And definitely not because it's the only one I had access to or anything.

It's certainly not a bad game, but I gotta question the decision to make you drop your power after one hit when so many puzzles are dependent on getting specific powers to specific rooms. All the endless backtracking and gotcha enemy placement didn't really help either. The glowing map squares definitely did, though! Also chocolate is the best Kirby color.

BreakTargets
Apr 5, 2009

BreakTargets has beaten the 6 main games of Kirby Super Star without any non-mandatory abilities. I have no plans to do The Arena like this.

Also, I tried doing this in Kirby & the Amazing Mirror, but then Meta Knight pretty much killed my run. So with that, I am done with my "Play Kirby games with no abilities" marathon. Maybe I should play the others now...

Snakeman
Nov 23, 2007

"Die, little Ninja."
Snakeman has completed Kirby Squeak Squad all treasures collected

Been a while since I've played this one. Too easy and short. The bottom screen is a neat idea but the game doesn't do anything with it and most of the time I find I have a full inventory that I have to manage in order to hold 3 chests. Pretty forgettable game overall. I did like that it used amazing mirror and air ride music.

Chat
Jun 3, 2011
Chat has completed Kirby's Dream Land 3 100%.

Up next is Kirby 64... Honestly don't remember too much about that game. I do remember thinking it was not as good as the other Kirbys though.

tinkerttoy
Dec 30, 2013

by XyloJW
I've managed to beat Kirby's Dreamland 2, and I've grabbed all the rainbow drops. I tried a couple of times to beat The Mysterious Swordsman and his Faithful Companion, but it mostly ended in disaster because I'm an impatient cock who keeps going in for the kill at the wrong time. Hopefully I can beat him, instead of pussying out like with King Dedede in the first game's Extra Mode.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
Looper has beaten Kirby's Adventure 100%!

I've actually never played the original, just Nightmare in Dreamland. It still holds up really well! There are a few abilities that seem terrible (mainly Ball), but for being the first time Kirby could even have copy abilities, this is a solid game. I may give Extra Mode a shot later, but probably not for a while.

tinkerttoy
Dec 30, 2013

by XyloJW

Dark Matter has fallen, but he'll be back soon. In the meantime, I'm going to play Kirby Superstar. I've actually beaten this one already, but I never 100%'d The Great Cave Offensive, so I guess it's time to change that!

Grawl
Aug 28, 2008

Do the D.A.N.C.E
1234, fight!
Stick to the B.E.A.T
Get ready to ignite
You were such a P.Y.T
Catching all the lights
Just easy as A.B.C

tinkerttoy posted:

Dark Matter has fallen, but he'll be back soon. In the meantime, I'm going to play Kirby Superstar. I've actually beaten this one already, but I never 100%'d The Great Cave Offensive, so I guess it's time to change that!

I can't judge by a screenshot what game you just finished.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

I'm looking forward to this - Since there's a bit of flexibility on the order, I'm playing them in the order of my childhood. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.

Grawl posted:

I can't judge by a screenshot what game you just finished.

My research tells me that's tinkertoy beat Kirby's Dream Land 2 (GB) but emulated as if it was on a Super Game Boy. Also collected all the rainbow drops.

Didn't actually know you could get it in colour.

Hopefully I'll have time to play some Kirby games this year, although I'll at least do Triple Deluxe when it comes out.

• Locked thread