Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rolled a 1 on the random encounter table, didn't you?
Another good actual play podcast is the Drunk and Ugly: http://drunkandugly.com/ - long running campaigns of Monsters and Other Childish Things, Little Fears, Eclipse Phase, Call of Cthulhu, and a few other systems.

Ken and Robin talk about stuff: http://www.kenandrobintalkaboutstuff.com/

If you dig Call of Cthulhu, The Unspeakable Oath has a podcast that updates every once in a great while. Good to archive binge though! http://theunspeakableoath.com/home/category/unspeakable/

I've thought about expanding into doing APs of board games - with videos and the like, but it seems like a huge pain in the rear end for limited return (in terms of audiences actually wanting to listen or watch it) - obviously edited reviews of board games are one thing, but what about entire games? Is that something anyone would actually want?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Oh this also reminds me of an interesting survey of RPG podcast listeners: http://rpgpolls.com/fill/survey/2013-RPG-Podcast-Listener-Survey/The-Podge-Cast

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Helical Nightmares posted:

Or you and Caleb could bang out that Fight Promoter game :colbert:

I've actually put some thought into it, but I can't settle on game mechanics for it yet. Caleb's focused on Red Markets. Some day though!

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

JDCorley posted:

So tomorrow if my voice recovers I'll be on This Imaginary Life on a g+ hangout to talk GMing advice with some other people. Add Rich Rogers on G+ if you aren't already, he is the guy who organizes these.

Here's the link but I don't know if it'll work if you're not already in the group.

So what's the lowdown on recording podcasts using Hangouts? It's my understanding that they can be put on Youtube very easily, but you have less control over it when it goes up. Are there any other options? What are your experiences using Hangouts?

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Helical Nightmares posted:

Here are some other excellent podcasts from the previous thread (which is subject to memory as I can’t find the previous thread).

Goon Media

Hitting the machine spirits hard -Let's Play Rogue Trader!

Grey Hunter hosts a rotating international cast of homicidal misfits and sociopaths miscreants in search of gold, glory and revenge against their business rival Zurzen in the grimdark future of Warhammer 40K as Rogue Traders. With an amazing 47 episodes their epic saga is completed! To add a cherry on top, there is a Call of Cthulhu one shot.

An audio and video Lets Play.

Thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3503410

Stay tuned for their next project, a Superhero game in the Base Raiders setting! Base Raiders written by goon clockworkjoe! (Buy his book, Buy.. his book)

holy poo poo, awesome! That reminds me - if any of you other goon podcasters want a review copy of Base Raiders, let me know and I can send you one.

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Thanks for the mention! We should organize some goon podcast cross-promotions at some point. I'm about to go on vacation but when I get back we should totes do something.

So what is everyone using to manage their podcasts these days? iTunes is kind of the standard these days, but I personally use Beyondpod for my droid phone. I know Stitcher is becoming more popular but I haven't bothered using it myself.

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

I saw this on Boingboing and it gave me an idea: http://piratebox.de/

quote:

What is the PirateBox?
PirateBox creates offline wireless networks designed for anonymous file sharing, chatting, message boarding, and media streaming. You can think of it as your very own portable offline Internet in a box!

How does it work?
When users join the PirateBox wireless network and open a web browser, they are automatically redirected to the PirateBox welcome page. Users can anonymously chat, post images or comments on the bulletin board, watch or listen to streaming media, or upload and download files inside their web browser.

Where can I buy a PirateBox?
There are some things that money can't buy, and PirateBox is one of them! However, you can build one yourself by following our easy DIY instructions.

I made one, loaded it with RPPR episodes and took it to Fear the Con. On a technical level, it worked as advertised but I did run into a big hurdle. Namely, explaining the concept to people and getting them to actually try it. It was also kind of superfluous because the venue had free wi-fi for all, so people who were interested in RPPR could just use the Internet. Several people did use it to download episodes to listen to on the way home so I'll count that as a success.

Lessons Learned:

1. You need to inform con-goers of the pirate box's existence and why they should use it. To that end, it works best when you are running an event or panel. If you have a booth, set up a sign.

2. It works best in areas without free wifi.

3. Power is an issue - usb batteries can extend life on a router for long periods of times.

Ideas for next time I use it:

1. Put exclusive/limited content on the pirate box to encourage its use

2. Put password protected zip files for commercial digital content (like rpg PDFs) - when someone buys the PDF, offer them the password so they can download and use it immediately - also have them post on the message board with their email address so you can send them a permanent link later on.

3. Put free PDFs/digital content related to any event you are running, like character sheets, quick start rules,or fiction ebooks.

4. Encourage fans to take photos and post them to the message board.

Something for the fellow RPG podcasters to consider

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Sarx posted:

Which other podcasters are going to be at Gen Con?

Role Playing Public Radio will be there - we're having a group event on Thursday night - details here http://slangdesign.com/forums/index.php/topic,1769.0.html

• Locked thread