Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

Luann is a teenage girl. This seems like just the sort of boneheaded mistake a teenager would make in her first long-term relationship.

Clearly what Luann needs is a kindly, wise older person to give her advice. Some sort of... meddler.

Second. There was the other just-foreign-enough-to-seem-nonthreatening guy who vanished.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Luann is a teenage girl. This seems like just the sort of boneheaded mistake a teenager would make in her first long-term relationship.

Clearly what Luann needs is a kindly, wise older person to give her advice. Some sort of... meddler.

True, and if there were some sign that we are supposed to be reading this as Luann making a big mistake or as her being immature, I'd be with you on that. It wouldn't have to be heavy handed (as is the Evans tradition); one panel of her mom or Bernice saying, "Maybe you should talk to Quill about this," would have covered it.

As it is, the comments at GoComics are usually an accurate barometer of how we're supposed to read these things and they seem to be siding with Luann.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

I would be good with 2016 being the Year of the Mary Worth Crossovers. In this case, I am curious what Luann would look like drawn by the MW artist.

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Always searching for North.

Johnny Walker posted:

I would be good with 2016 being the Year of the Mary Worth Crossovers. In this case, I am curious what Luann would look like drawn by the MW artist.

All the characters would look a few decades older, suspiciously like Mary, and their faces would be in danger of sliding off.

Odonata
Nov 5, 2009
Nap Ghost
Broom Hilda - For those of you who are lucky enough to not be familiar with this comic, the big-nosed thing with glasses is named “Gaylord.” That should hint at how old this comic is. Also, I’m pretty sure his name is never mentioned anymore in-panel.

Gasoline Alley - This reads like one of those shill comics put out by Marvel or DC as a paid promotion for Office Max or whatever. “Only by buying a ball of rubber bands ($.99, sales tax may apply. Check your local & state laws.) can we stop Dr. Doom!”

The ol’ Alley sold out to Big Scrapbook is what I’m saying.

Heavenly Nostrils

Big Nate

Ziggy

Ye Olde Fox Trot

Cul de Sac Every time I see Alice and her mom interacting I can only imagine the horror if this was Foob- eye rolling, whispered hateful thoughts about how horrible her child is, etc. But look, instead we get parents who actually engage their children in a positive way! Freaky.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

"All love will soon be dead," said the small boy as he happily played with his dog

Odonata
Nov 5, 2009
Nap Ghost

Really Pants posted:

"All love will soon be dead," said the small boy as he happily played with his dog

Thank you for the inspiration!

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
Monty

Mike du Jour

Scary Gary

Intelligent Life

Retail

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Indolent Bastard posted:

Intelligent Life

I didn't think it was possible, but this comic has hit a new low. This cat has just become the worst character.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Pogo (January 1, 1958)

Peanuts: Year Four (December 10-13, 1953)

Out Our Way (July 2-3, 1928)

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Calvin and Hobbes

Ripley's

Geomancing
Jan 8, 2004

I am not an egghead. I am well-read.

I don't know.

mastersord
Feb 15, 2001

Gold Card Putty Fan Club
Member Since 2017!
Soiled Meat

Indolent Bastard posted:

Intelligent Life

They finally wrote in Brian!

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Colorist shenanigans continue.

F Minus

Looks more likely to be a 1960 than a 1988. Perhaps even a 1932.

Mary Worth

Rex Morgan MD

"That does not answer the question I asked you, father."

Secret Agent X-9

Dude just loving loves "finger-prints."

Apartment 3-G

Margo's hitting the town in her majorette hat.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Julet Esqu posted:

Luann

Weeks and weeks ago she could have said "You and Pru seem awfully close. Do I have anything to worry about?" or even a simple non-accusatory "I trust you, but I don't know that I trust her," and Quill wouldn't have to be blindsided by her rage now.

Oh, wait, we're supposed to side with Luann. You go gurrl! That boy's so clueless! You make him work for it!

Luann.... you stupid idiot moron hellfucker.

Goddamn this strip is poo poo.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Skippy (November 1, 1928)

Peanuts still speaks to me. (December 31, 1968)

Funky Winkerbean

Yeah, I know this looks like I wrote it, but just shut up, okay? Owwww, headache. Where the hell did this nosebleed come from? :psyduck:

Meanwhile, Rip Haywire tries the "good boyfriend" thing on for size.

Thimble Theater (July 19, 1929)

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Tina's Groove

Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Dilbert

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Is there any reason we stopped making a new thread every year? This one's two years old today, it really oughta be put out to pasture.

Six Chix

Zippy the Pinhead

Checks out

Nancy

Arlo and Janis

Andertoons

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme

Wanamingo posted:

Is there any reason we stopped making a new thread every year? This one's two years old today, it really oughta be put out to pasture.

No one probably has the time and effort to collect up all the best edits and strips for a new OP.

Anyway, didn't have time to post comix yesterday so double dose now:

Moomin

Classic Dilbert

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Wanamingo posted:

Darkest Auer posted:

No one probably has the time and effort to collect up all the best edits and strips for a new OP.
Unless there's any great outcry, I'll make a new one tomorrow. I think a new thread every year is a good way to go.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry
Comic Strip Megathread XVII: Here's To The Death Of Hope

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool

Loooooks like someone forgot it's a leap year!

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Last night, I dreamt Gilchrist introduced a new character whose defining characteristic was a name-tag that read "FOREIGN STUDENT".

And greatn, your whole A3G run has been great, but Greg's final thoughts were amazing.

Calvin and Hobbes

Ripley's

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

mastersord posted:

They finally wrote in Brian!

That's not a new character, it's clearly Quagnerd polymorphed into the form of a cat. There is a new character joining the strip soon, but it's the wizard that did it, and they won't be revealed for another couple of months.

God bless the syndicate colourist for bringing this year to a Crashing End Comix.

Pooch Café

Tale as old as time. Every boy falls in love with his first prostitute.

Ballard Street

Stevan, Lyle and Chad call themselves the Brudda Bings. They spend a lot of time explaining the name.

Lost Side of Suburbia

The comic sure is spending a lot of time emphasizing what happens to Goatsucker's body. If she wasn't 100% confirmed dead as dirt I'd think they were building up to something.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Good Listener posted:

Loooooks like someone forgot it's a leap year!
I prefer to think it's passive aggressive. As far as Gilchrist is concerned, on the last day of 2016 you can go gently caress yourself.

Tiggum posted:

Unless there's any great outcry, I'll make a new one tomorrow. I think a new thread every year is a good way to go.
We stopped doing it every year because the mods stopped forcing us to and no one wanted to make the effort, but I would be happy to see a new one, personally.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

I don't like new threads. I've never heard a good reason for it. We're posting newspaper comics here, it's not like there are any big plot shifts over time making the thread inaccessible to new readers. The Phantom is still the same Kit Walker, Elly still hates her kids and Luann still has an inexplicably hot boyfriend despite a whitebread womanchild with no social skills or likable characteristics. These strips have gone through multiple writers and in one case literally went back in time 40 years, and nothing's changed. If there's anything you are having trouble following, you can just hit '?' and see all the strips in order for the last couple of years. Can't do that with a new thread.

Think of the edits. Sure, there'd be a few saved and reposted here and there, but devoid of context and meaningless. We already lost the cups saga and Mary Worth's traveling face to the senseless grind for new threads, don't take away "Dethany, from On the Fasttrack" too.

There are threads on this forum that have stood for nearly ten years, surviving countless server crashes and host transfers. It's nice to look back and see the posts of old users long banned, ghosts of memes half-remembered, tiny motes of culture preserved for the ages. Why would you throw that away? What's to be gained? Change for change's sake, that's all it is.

Don't do it.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Agreed. The proper way to honor works of art such as these is with a single undying thread, never changing, never refreshing or renewing no matter how decrepit it becomes, just stagnating, moldering, and rotting forever.

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Dec 31, 2015

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
So smile, Tiggum, and move on.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Luann

Ugh. She's just the worst. He really should break up with her. And then still not date Pru.

The Amazing Spider-Man

Sally Forth

The Heart of Juliet Jones

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

EasyEW posted:

Funky Winkerbean

Yeah, I know this looks like I wrote it, but just shut up, okay? Owwww, headache. Where the hell did this nosebleed come from? :psyduck:

The fact that this isn't an edit is terrifying, but weirdly heartening. I wonder if Batiuk has been self-aware this entire time, and Funky Winkerbean has secretly been a huge in-joke. ... Nah, too optimistic.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

no bugger wanted to relaunch it last year and if i'd done it i'd only have filled the ruddy thing with R Ubbish edits
(thread misses you, r ubbish)

ChickenOfTomorrow fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Dec 31, 2015

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!

Don't you do it, DON'T YOU DO IT!!!

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

here's my 27-post a3g eulogy with additional analysis of mandrake in the post-irony marketplace

(LINKS TO A TINDECK RECORDING OF A BUILDING SITE)

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

that reminds me, no-one's posted M Trail since Thanksgiving, how many murders have we missed

csammis
Aug 26, 2003

Mental Institution

Huh, apparently you can say "pissy" in a newspaper comic strip.

Gocomics has 164 comments on this strip - hopefully it's all people about to pass out because Quill dared speak potty-mouth against Luann - but I blocked them from showing up years ago and drat if I'm going to change that now

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Yep, some of them are complaining that the language is totally unacceptable (I searched for the word language).

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Oops, forgot yesterday's strips. Who's ready for a double-sot post to end the year?

The Classic Dinette Set ends the year lonely and impatient.

Working Daze doesn't resolve to be funnier.

Super-Fun-Pak-Comix is just going to keep on keepin' on.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
A3G

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

csammis posted:

Gocomics has 164 comments on this strip - hopefully it's all people about to pass out because Quill dared speak potty-mouth against Luann - but I blocked them from showing up years ago and drat if I'm going to change that now

Not an edit. Wow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk

csammis posted:

Stephan Pastis sometimes remarks that December is when he runs edgier "Pearls" comics because fewer people reads comics during the holidays, thus generating less complaints. I'm betting that's what happened with "Luann".

Also, lately I hear "pissed" in TV cartoons aimed at children, so I guess it's no longer objectionable. I even see characters saying "crap" in newspaper comics.

Mister Beeg fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Dec 31, 2015

• Locked thread