Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home
It's Tony Stark, he gives zero fucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

I love you.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

Mister Beeg posted:

Oh yeah, I'm a Sergio Aragones fan. He's one of the reasons why I still buy Mad nowadays (also Deep Hurting, who does work for the magazine).

His "Sergio Aragones Funnies" comic book is a blast; sadly it's ending with issue 12 next month, although Mark Evanier says they're working on a new comic. I also finally started reading "Groo"

Did the "Funnies" comic ever get a collected edition? I'd be all over that.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

Midnight Moth posted:

She's going to report Les for acting in self-defense? What was he supposed to do? I mean Knute's the one who just grappled him from behind and Les just punched him back and walked off. And why are they insisting on pursuing and harassing Les some more? God this comic.

He must be properly punished for having to pee.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

Mister Beeg posted:

Thorn (February 13-15, 1984)

I was wondering if this particular bit was going to be in Thorn.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

So I guess cable news is not a thing in the Funky-verse?

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

EasyEW posted:

Peanuts (February 28, 1967)

"We All Float Down Here, Charlie Brown"

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

JohnnyCanuck posted:

Doc Ock nearly married May, without ever knowing that she was doting aunt to his ARCHNEMESIS!

And then, years later, when he downloaded his mind into Peter Parker's body, he tormented him with memories of them having sex.

I'm not making that up.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

WeaponGradeSadness posted:

I like how they forgot all about their friend they called in to save their asses, like, 3 seconds after they didn't immediately need him anymore.

Let's also note Toni taking the time to put a dig in on her brother for teaching the kid the skill that got their irresponsible asses out of trouble.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

Wow, how much of a narcissist is Funky's wife? "We are the only people who fear for our child when news of dead soldiers hits the airwaves."

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

Chim-Chim is Speed's kid brother's pet chimp. Or did you mean who is the character playing Chim-Chim?

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

Julet Esqu posted:

The Amazing Spider-Man

If only he had some sort of device that would shoot a strand of superstrong material to catch the girder in mid-air.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

gently caress you, Luann.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

Julet Esqu posted:

Sally Forth

Oh, Faye, you're twelve years old. You don't have to pretend to know who Wang Chung were. :glomp:

Until recently, she spent a lot of time at the Forth house. I'd be surprised if she didn't know who Wang Chung were.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

RevKrule posted:

And my point is proven! That smarmy rear end in a top hat overheard them talking and now is going to go home and setup his snipebot to gently caress this bitch over. Why? Because he's sick of hearing her talk about how she keeps getting free comics because she knows someone in the military.

I hate you funkyverse but I can't stop reading you :(.

No, what's going to happen is, the reason nobody's made a bid after he did is that guy recognized her on ebay, because she used the screenname "wallysmom" or something, and told all his nerd buddies who were bidding on the comic her story, so they let her have it. And Batiuk thinks this is poignant and moving, because he didn't stop to think about how condescending it would be to show Mrs. Funky only being able to succeed in her quest because of male comic fans watching out for her.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

If that treadmill was going at any decent speed, Funky should at least be pretty badly bruised.

Of course, pain is the status quo in Westview, so who knows if he noticed.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

BlankIsBeautiful posted:

:stonk: Christ, what's next? A cattle prod? I can just see her... "DANCE YOU loving FAT SLOB!! DANCE!!!!" :v:

In an odd coincidence, I just read Stephen King's "Quitters, Inc.".

Oh, and Funky is now seriously injured. At this rate, he'll be dead by the end of the week.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

We were given our class rankings every semester. This led to a hilarious conclusion where the guy who had been in the top spot all the way through high school got displaced in the last semester by somebody else, and gave the most petulant, phoned-in salutatorian speech ever.

Also, I'd like to remind everyone that Leslie Knox's last villainous act in the strip was to try to take a whiz in the boy's bathroom.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

Lookee what I got, fuckers!

Thanks, Death Ray!

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

I thought this was a TV movie, not a series?

Also, table reads are good. They're the first part of the filming process. They mean everything's been cast.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

EasyEW posted:

Funky Winkerbean

Never did a convention, but what I'm seeing here is a shapeless gray mob and a fat Wonder Woman. Does that match anybody else's experience?

Eh, close enough.

Nobody calls it "San Diego Comic-Con International", though. It's "ComicCon", "San Diego", or "San Diego ComicCon" if you're writing an article or something. Batiuk has actual comic professionals ghost for him occasionally, so I don't know what the deal is.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

EasyEW posted:

Funky Winkerbean

god dammit Batiuk you are friends with Tony Isabella run this poo poo by him

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

Y'know, if Luann and Quill come out of that prop closet to find the world's been destroyed in a nuclear holocaust, it'll be worth it.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

Please, God, let the rest of the Enforcers be in this Spidey arc too.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

Jesus, now Batiuk's killing off real people in his comic.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

RevKrule posted:

I didn't think this story line could get more boring and dragged out any longer but here we are.

I can't decide if I want to kill Les or myself.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

She chose... poorly.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

1. "Diversity University"? gently caress you, Batiuk.

2. Could Greg Evans be any whiter?

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

Spanish Matlock posted:

Is the moral here supposed to be "everywhere is actually America now. Foreigners are a myth."

More like "Forget about making the world a better place and accept your future as a cube jockey."

I imagine right about now Delta is licking envelopes for a crooked Congressman.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

I just wanna say, it is bullshit that this Spidey arc hasn't brought in the other Enforcers yet.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

EasyEW posted:

Funky Winkerbean

Was Congorilla really awesome enough to make an issue a holy grail?

He was a dude with a magic talisman that could transfer his mind into the body of a giant gold-furred gorilla, so you tell me.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

bonestructure posted:

You know, around the time of the Les and Cayla Get Married storyline, I pointed out how Batiuk started drawing her differently as soon as she became engaged to Les -- before then, she wore her hair natural (in fact there was an entire storyline where she stopped straightening it and her daughter told her how good it looked natural) and her features and skin were drawn colored differently. Maybe I just expressed myself badly, but everyone in the thread jumped on me and called me a racist with remarks like "Please, tell us how black people should wear their hair?!" But what I was complaining about was that Cayla used to be that rarity among newspaper comics, a person of color who was recognizably drawn as such. The only reason why I am even opening that can of worms up again is that the whitewashing of this character now that she's Les' wife has reached a ridiculous new peak. This is seriously supposed to be the same person? Now she looks like Jennifer Aniston with a light tan.

Les has been slipping her drugs that are slowly turning her into Lisa. Next the hair goes blonde.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

Julet Esqu posted:

The Amazing Spider-Man
[URL=http://imgur.com/H0ybNoN.gif]

Oh no! Cecil the Sea Serpent has turned to a life of crime!

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

Julet Esqu posted:

The Amazing Spider-Man

Doc Ock would never expect a visitor twenty stories up! After all, he has no experience with people who are known for their climbing abilities!

Or elevators.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

Really Pants posted:

They were based on this picture:

People replaced Superman with a bunch of other superheroes making dumb sex jokes, and eventually there was a .GIF with twenty or thirty of them.

The best one was Apollo from The Authority. He just said "We're very good friends."

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

EasyEW posted:

You'd think I wouldn't be foolish enough to ask myself "Can this Funky Winkerbean plot get any stupider?" But here we are...

This is in no way allowed. Also, Bull doesn't have backup players?

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

BlankIsBeautiful posted:

This is true. I was the CIO of a small health insurance company years ago, and saw it all from the inside. We used to expend large amounts of time making sure that you didn't get money from us, because, hell, we we're trying to make a profit here. The "for profit" logic applies to many other types of insurance too, but health insurance is, by far, the worst.

Anyway, Brooke had the point hammered home, countersunk, and painted over by last Wednesday, and it's just old now.

And The Incredibles did it better in what, five minutes?

I always wondered what happened to Shermy.

Senior Woodchuck fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Sep 29, 2014

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

Darthemed posted:

Calvin And Hobbes

Here's one that went right over my 7-year-old head.

quote:

All that fanart of grown-up Calvin ignores the extreme likelihood that he grew up to be a neckbeard, doesn't it?

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

If this storyline in Luann ends with Gunther going full Norman Bates, it'll be worth it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

Better idea, Rosa: You be on the van, and Gunther can be under it.

quote:

The Amazing Spider-Man

I dunno, Pete, maybe because you don't have any real reason to be on the movie set?

• Locked thread