Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Hey, guys, I'm back! Looks like you all haven't missed much except Gil Thorp while I was gone, and that's ok because nobody gives a poo poo about Gil Thorp. Here's the last few days of some vintage comics:

The Heart of Juliet Jones

Kind of hoping there's a human head in there.

Phantom Classic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

The Sphinxster posted:

I don't know why but this one got me chortling. I don't want to eat a mouse on a foggy morning either.

My dog would eat a cold mouse on a foggy morning.

GIANT OUIJA BOARD posted:

It's kind of like Tiffany in Luann. Sure she might be kind of unpleasant sometimes, but she gets poo poo on by the rest of the cast consistently, and they're obviously just as bad as she is, but we're told she's the villain so we're supposed to root for everyone else.

I agree with this comparison. Tiff is kind of a bitch, and if she were in a comic where any of the other characters were at all likeable, she'd come off as such. However, she's in Luann, where everybody else are horrible creeps. Even worse, they're horrible creeps that we're supposed to like, and we're all supposed to enjoy living vicariously through these horrible creeps as they look down their noses at Tiffany. It makes it almost impossible not to like her.

Josh is an rear end in a top hat, yes. But so is everybody else. The difference is that we're supposed to be rooting for all these other assholes and it's kind of hard not to resent that.

Apartment 3-G

Come on, Tommie's Mom. This is Apartment 3-G, as drawn by Frank Bolle. Who in this comic hasn't given up on life?

The Amazing Spider-Man

Juliet Jones

Phantom Classic

I think Diana forgot her boyfriend is a superhero.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

The bigger, the better, the tighter the sweater, the boys depend on us!

Luann

Apartment 3-G

Pros & Cons

Sally Forth

The Amazing Spider-Man

Juliet Jones

Phantom Classic

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Raskolnikov38 posted:

So I was raised a filthy papist but why are they holding shot glasses of the communion wine?

It's a protestant thing, though not all protestant churches, of course. That's not wine, either. Everybody gets a little tiny plastic cup of grape juice and a tiny little Chiclet-sized cracker and has to hold onto it while the pastor reads a communion-related bible verse and then when he says go, everybody eats their cracker and chases it with the juice.

I don't know how widespread it is, but that's how they did it in every nondenominational protestant church I've been to. Usually only one Sunday a month, too.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Pros & Cons

Sally Forth

Ted, if there is only one reason to ever play Monopoly, it is so you can use the kickass tokens. I always used to play as the horsey guy. You cannot take away my horsey guy. (Though evidently Parker Brothers can.)

The Amazing Spider-Man

Prince Valiant

Phantom Classic

Edit:

Wanamingo posted:

Six Chix

I don't get it.

The women always wore corsets back then and it's hard to smile when all your insides are being shoved up into your ribcage and/or pelvis.

Julet Esqu fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Jan 19, 2014

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Luann

Get this kid an art scholorship! That's pretty much a photorealistic representation right there.

Apartment 3-G

Maybe if I'd been paying attention the last few weeks I'd have an idea what she's talking about, but I guess I just don't care. Also props to the colorist for remembering that pink is the traditional color for brides to wear at weddings, and to Bolle for remembering that older ladies marrying for the second (or more?) time still love to wear veils.

Pros & Cons

Sally Forth

The Amazing Spider-Man

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Juliet Jones

Phantom Classic

I'm thinking this week I want to try out some new (to us) vintage comics. I don't know much about any of these and I didn't bother looking up any backstory or do much of any research at all, really, I'm just going to jump right in. If they're interesting I might keep posting them, and if not I won't. Let's just see how it goes. They're all soap strips because that's what I like.

Brick Bradford appears to be an adventury sci-fi actiony kind of thing. These ones originally ran in 1941.

Judge Parker originally from 1970. I don't expect to keep posting this one because Judge Parker is kind of boring, but maybe Old JP will surprise me by being a non-stop thrillfest.

Radio Patrol is about a couple of cops who have a radio in their patrol car. This was a big deal at the time (1943). Also, the cops are Irish. I thought I'd better mention it, since their portrayal is sure to be quite subtle and you might not pick up on it.

I don't know what Rip Kirby is about. Gangsters maybe? One thing's for sure, I'm not going to take the second and a half required to look it up :effort: . Originally from 1954.

Big Ben Bolt is about a man who punches people for a living. I mean, not today it isn't, but usually it is. This one's from 1953.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Luann

That's what you think a Flip-Off is, Greg?

Apartment 3-G

Pros & Cons

Sally Forth

Am I wrong in thinking this could potentially be kind of a fun game?

The Amazing Spider-Man

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Juliet Jones

Phantom Classic

Brick Bradford

Old Judge Parker

Radio Patrol

Rip Kirby

Big Ben Bolt

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Kammat posted:

Modesty Blaise

Never knew elephants were that handy for breaking in.

Willie and his animal friends. :3:

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Luann

Oh, go gently caress yourself Luann.

Because I'm into self-punishment apparently, I checked out the comments for that first one. In amongst the expected laughing at Tiffany and expressions of relief that the comic is back to making GBS threads on her instead of treating her like a person was this moment of clarity:

How nice! Might there be hope for the GoComics comment section after all? (No, of course not.)

Oooooh, ok. I see. Greg intended her to be the villain, thus the reader is not permitted to find positive traits and sympathize. Thanks for clearing that up!

In other news, I guess I let my subscription to the comics kingdom lapse. More comics to come later when I get around to renewing it. :)

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Mister Beeg posted:

Bradbury Road
This is probably the most obscure comic strip I've ever posted, because it was never published. Before striking big with "Pearls Before Swine", Stephan Pastis submitted a number of other strips to syndicates, all of which got rejected. One of them was "Bradbury Road". Here's the synopsis:

Yes, this is the same Rat that later became a star in "Pearls". Anyway, since this strip was rejected, there are only 22 sample strips available. Here's the first five.

I think I can see why this one didn't take off.

Apartment 3-G

:pray: Please be a human head... please be a human head... please be a human head...

Pros & Cons

I think I might have this...

Hey, don't try to tell me how to be. :mad:

Sally Forth

The Amazing Spider-Man

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Juliet Jones

Phantom Classic

Diana. Dude. Did you forget who your boyfriend is? Let the man do his job.

Brick Bradford

Judge Parker

Radio Patrol

Rip Kirby

I absolutely adore everything about the middle panel.

Big Ben Bolt

:3:

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Luann

Apartment 3-G

Deer ghost looking for revenge?

Pros & Cons

Sally Forth

The Amazing Spider-Man

I'm having a hard time figuring out the perspective in the second panel. Come on Newspaper Spidey, I'd expect this from Mary Worth, but you're usually better than this!

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Juliet Jones

Phantom Classic

Brick Bradford

Judge Parker

Radio Patrol

Rip Kirby

Big Ben Bolt

While I'm here posting vintage comics, the votes are in for what new vintage comics will be added to the Comics Kingdom lineup! Johnny Hazard! Also loving Redeye and Boner's Ark. I'll go ahead and add one of these to my lineup, at least for a week. :)

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

That just reminded me of this one from last year...

Luann

Apartment 3-G

"What? Baby deer? What do those even look like? Oh, hell, nobody reads this poo poo. I'll just draw a dog and call it a day."

Pros & Cons

Sally Forth

I thought the whole point was they can't get out or visit friends or anything. :confused:

The Amazing Spider-Man

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

SynthOrange posted:

Spiderman, did you just wreck that guy's van for no good reason?

Spiderman looked at that van and thought, "It's been parked here all day! Why would it do that? I bet there's a dude inside it controlling this robot! I know, I'll crash the robot into it on purpose!"

Amazingly, and completely contrary to anything that could happen in a rational universe, Spidey was right.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Juliet Jones

Phantom Classic

Brick Bradford

Judge Parker

Radio Patrol

Rip Kirby

Big Ben Bolt

Well, this certainly sounds like it's on the up-and-up.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Pros & Cons

Sally Forth

The Amazing Spider-Man

Prince Valiant

#1: I really like her hoodie.
#2: :black101:

Juliet Jones

:smith:

Phantom Classic

Big Ben Bolt

The dialogue in that top corner panel. Gorsh. :blush:

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Moto Punch posted:

Some of his earlier non-wee pals work is featured here : http://museumofuncutfunk.com/2013/12/14/the-morrie-turner-exhibition
Definetly worth a look at his work intended for a more mature audience.

Hokey smokes, some of these are amazing. So long, Morrie Turner. You were one of a kind.

Luann

Apartment 3-G

Pros & Cons

Sally Forth

The Amazing Spider-Man

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Juliet Jones

Phantom Classic

Radio Patrol

Rip Kirby

Big Ben Bolt

And today Comics Kingdom introduces the new kid on the block,

Johnny Hazard

Evidently already in progress, even though this is the first day it's up.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Luann

Apartment 3-G

Pros & Cons

Sally Forth

The Amazing Spider-Man

Did we ever find out WHY Tony Stark loaned his old armor to 3J? Are there some dirty pictures he doesn't want getting out or something?

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Juliet Jones

Phantom Classic

Radio Patrol

Rip Kirby

Big Ben Bolt

Johnny Hazard

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Midnight Moth posted:

Slylock Fox

"Yessir we've got a perpetual two-foot radius blaring alarm zone surrounding this baby! Only had about 50 accidental set offs so far!"

Just like this. Only with Slick Smitty and Reeky Rat.

Luann

Apartment 3-G

That beast is deformed in a different way every day. Fun to watch!

(Of course I'm talking about Tommie.)

Pros & Cons

Sally Forth

Mason is totally stalking Ralph. :ohdear:

Several people posted:

3J ought to get in that suit.
The Amazing Spider-Man

Newspaper Spider-Man aims to please! :neckbeard:

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Juliet Jones

Phantom Classic

Radio Patrol

Rip Kirby

Big Ben Bolt

Johnny Hazard

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Luann

Apartment 3-G

Pros & Cons

Sally Forth

The Amazing Spider-Man

:dance:

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Esplanade posted:

She needs to write an orgy scene to see how boring Bolle can make it.

So many white flannel nightgowns with frilly collars. Of course, you'd only see them from the shoulders up.

Juliet Jones

Phantom Classic

Radio Patrol

Rip Kirby

Big Ben Bolt

Johnny Hazard

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Macaluso posted:

So what exactly is happening in that original comic? Is she turning the heat up on the bed itself and then taking the covers for herself cause he'll be warm now anyway or what

It's an electric blanket. He's hogging the covers, so she turns up the heat really high causing him to throw them off and she can have them to herself.

Midnight Moth posted:

Retail

Better not leave the house and interact with anyone ever because you're bound to get people discussing the weather as a way to uh, break the ice.

"Goddamn customers trying to have friendly chit-chat with me. It's like they think I'm a human being with an interest in the outside world rather than a mindless drone. If one more of these sons of bitches attempts pleasant interaction with me I swear to God..."

I've had lots of people in retail ask me for updates on the weather while I was checking out. Didn't realize it made me the rear end in a top hat.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Breetai posted:

Edit: Al Jaffe just to illustrate what I'm talking about. SUPER NWS

1.:nws:http://i.imgur.com/956OMpC:nws:
2.:nws:http://i.imgur.com/7GkEdxi:nws:
3.:nws:http://i.imgur.com/Sxo3eq5:nws:

MAD Magazine always did have a distinctive smell. I can almost smell it right now, looking at those pages.

Lizzie is almost twice that child's age! There is no reason she could not have made a competent babysitter for him. She is just being a lazy ingrate.

Luann

Is her power going to turn out to be feminine wiles? Is that why she's putting on lipstick?

Apartment 3-G

The look on that thing's face says, "Dear God, the blonde one really thinks I'm the other one's offspring, doesn't it?"

Pros & Cons

Sally Forth

The Amazing Spider-Man

Quit arguing and help TripleJ into the rad new leg of the plot Iron Man Suit!

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Speaking of being punished for having to pee...

Pakled posted:

Everett True

He just snapped that man's neck over the back of the seat. :ohdear:

Juliet Jones

Phantom Classic

Radio Patrol

I hope we continue taking one more step back every day revealing more and more people spying on this conversation.

Rip Kirby

Big Ben Bolt

Johnny Hazard

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Bitchtits McGee posted:

Tack an 'h' on the end of the filename, and imgur will process the image as a Huge thumbnail. Might try that? (There are a couple of other letters for other sizes, but I only ever use Huge so I can't remember the others.)

:crossarms:

*types l*

Well, I'll be damned.

Luann

This, at least, seems like something I've seen people do in real life. More specifically, the School Creepy Chick is trying to be all creepy and mysterious, but instead is just coming off as annoying.

Apartment 3-G

Now, the story of Flag the Deer is not ringing a bell for me, but it seems Tommie is familiar with it. You'd think she'd remember the part where Flag the Deer gets mangled in the wheat thresher and eaten alive by dogs, but I guess not.

Pros & Cons

Sally Forth

I guess at least he's planning to make sure Mason learns something instead of just passing him regardless.

The Amazing Spider-Man

Nooooooooooooooooo... :(

Julet Esqu fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Feb 1, 2014

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Volume posted:

Ham Shears January 17, 2014

Seems like we recently had a Mary Worth just like this.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Juliet Jones

Phantom Classic

Radio Patrol

Rip Kirby

Big Ben Bolt

Johnny Hazard

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Pros & Cons

Sally Forth

The Amazing Spider-Man

Prince Valiant

#1 It's great that after all these years the Geezer Brigade hasn't demanded they soften up Prince Valiant like they have practically every other oldschool Newspaper strip that's still around. It's still as hardcore as ever.
#2 Singing Sword cameo!

Juliet Jones

#1 Really professional, Doc, insisting on calling your patient who's anxious about his height "Shorty"
#2 Probably a bad idea to buy your footwear from the Joker. :ohdear:

Phantom Classic

Awww. He's not evil, just crafty. :3:

Ok, well maybe a little evil. It's too bad Etsy and Pinterest didn't exist back then because they really could have turned this Moogoo guy around.

Big Ben Bolt

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

It would have been so easy to have Nancy looking pissed off in the second panel, and the joke would have been so much better.

TofuDiva posted:

Erm, well, I’m not sure I can do justice because it is an involved story, and it's worth reading it the way Kory wrote it, but here goes. Synopsis. Spoilered so as not to ruin it for people who want to go back and read the whole thing:

Hmm. At first I was like, "Whatever, I'm reading the spoilers, I don't have time to go back." But then it only took me about halfway through the first paragraph before I realized that I really am going to have to go back and read it for myself.

Luann

Apartment 3-G

They have kept a baby deer in their apartment for two weeks and have not even tried to find some sort of qualified wildlife professional to take it off their hands. That seems like great thinking there.

Pros & Cons

Sally Forth

February just got started, girls. This does not bode well for you for the next 25 days.

The Amazing Spider-Man

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Juliet Jones

Phantom Classic

Radio Patrol

Rip Kirby

Big Ben Bolt

Johnny Hazard

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

BlankIsBeautiful posted:

Ah, I read it as the noise/sound that pissed Everett off in the first place.

:v:

Me too, and I also found it confusing. I was thinking, "Biff? Is that an old-timey burn or something?"

Luann

Worlds best liar here. And her deception hinges on Leslie believing there are hidden cameras in a bathroom frequented by underage kids and nobody's worried about a lawsuit.

Apartment 3-G

Your deer, however, will have been raised by humans and not have the natural fear of them that helps most wild animals stay out of trouble. Additionaly, it will not have learned how to function in the wild away from people. Great rescuing skills, Tommie!

Pros & Cons

Sally Forth

The Amazing Spider-Man

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Juliet Jones

Phantom Classic

Radio Patrol

Rip Kirby

Big Ben Bolt

Johnny Hazard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

She sure does hate that baby.

Volume posted:

Ham Shears January 27th 2014

My favorite thing about Ham Shears today is noticing that, to Ham Shears, tucking your pencil behind your ear=balancing your pencil on top of your head.

Luann

1. He's so used to authority figures getting on his case all the time (including the times when his behavior is justified) that he just turns himself in for his regularly scheduled punishment without even bothering to try to plead his side. Somehow we are supposed to be happy about this.
2. He clearly still cares about his studies, though, because he gives a poo poo about the killer math test on Friday.
3. In a real human interaction the principal would tell him there's no camera and Leslie would realize that Knute and Crystal made a fool out of him and then they would pay.

Presumably the sad shadow slumping off in the background is an indication that Leslie got the bullshit suspension he requested for defending himself from another student who attacked him. Happy ending! Leslie is a Bad Kid.

Apartment 3-G

I like to think the colorist took some liberties and Tommie wasn't meant to be wearing gloves here. I mean, those are clearly regular hands and not gloves. :allears:

Oh, fine, ruin everything. :mad: Still, unsurprising to note that the colorist did a better job of reading the script than Bolle did.

Pros & Cons

Sally Forth

The Amazing Spider-Man

• Locked thread