Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Midnight Moth
Sep 14, 2007

What the hell, dude??
I'm like, right here.
Parody comics by yours truly. My New Years Resolution is to make more I swear.

Slylock Fox

Bleeker the Rechargeable Dog

Dustin

Norm Feuti's Nelson

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midnight Moth
Sep 14, 2007

What the hell, dude??
I'm like, right here.
Gil ran from January 2012 to December 2013. It's a modern strip about kids these days and their video games and LARPing and cheap Chinese toys. Gil's parents are divorced so he lives with his mom and visits his deadbeat dad on alternate weekends.

Retail follows a bunch of grade schoolers and their playground popularity contests. Much like real life, Retail has a knack for bringing out the worst in everyone who reads or is otherwise exposed to it.

Bleeker the Rechargeable Dog depicts the dystopian alternate universe of 10-year-old Skip Smalls who was abandoned by his parents in an isolated exurb to be raised by robots. Despite that super sweet premise, life is remarkably uneventful.

Dustin was created by distilling the essence of baby boomer smugness and the banality of the American upper-middle class. The namesake character, Dustin, is a 23-year-old college graduate working a string of low-paying temp jobs so naturally he is a total failure in life who everyone shits on constantly. It actually used to be considerably worse but we try to forget about it.

Bill Holbrook makes three comic strips a day: On the Fastrack, Safe Havens, and the webcomic Kevin and Kell. On the whole they're pretty light-hearted with progressive overtones and also batshit insane.

On the Fastrack follows geeky goth girl Dethany Dendrobia and the staff of the computer security corporation Fastrack Inc. It's a mashup of modern nerd culture trends and technology written by someone with a superficial understanding of both.

Safe Havens stars 26-year-old PhD prodigy extraordinaire Samantha Argus and her friends who all have sweet jobs or super powers. Also her mom is the governor. All in all life is pretty boss.

Midnight Moth fucked around with this message at 11:17 on Jan 1, 2014

Midnight Moth
Sep 14, 2007

What the hell, dude??
I'm like, right here.

The answer posted:

The house belongs to Big Brad Wolf. He entered through a window because he lost his door key.

Slylock Fox is a puzzle and activity strip starring super sleuth Slylock Fox and deadweight sidekick Max Mouse and their tireless crusade for justice against raccoons, scientific advancement and honest entrepreneurship. Also arbitrating in minor civil disputes between the same handful of parties for the nth time.

Moose and Molly is a straight 1960s gag comic capturing the good old days of American cultural homogeneity when people still talked to their neighbors and raided their fridges and stuff.

Midnight Moth fucked around with this message at 11:15 on Jan 1, 2014

Midnight Moth
Sep 14, 2007

What the hell, dude??
I'm like, right here.

Mister Beeg posted:

I guess it's because, well, I would do the same thing to some of the characters if I knew them. If I knew Josh (and I knew similar people like him), I would absolutely love to do what Cooper does to him. In short, kind of a revenge fantasy. Maybe that says something about what kind of person I am.
If I knew the cast in Retail I'd gently caress with Marla big time. drat I hate Marla. The Delman's district manager is probably the best in messing with her in that regard.

Midnight Moth
Sep 14, 2007

What the hell, dude??
I'm like, right here.
Gil

Gil debuted exactly two years ago today and since I didn't start posting it until August 2012 I figured we'll take a look at the first eight months. And Gil, just be glad your mom hasn't discovered the unholy offspring of Scrabble and video games that is Words with Friends.

Retail

Wow it's nice to see the stockroom supervisor grow up and set a great example in customer service for the subordinates.

Oh no Bleeker you're not watching Skip this very second he could be sticking a fork in an outlet or something!

Dustin

Actually I think everyone knows that Christmas is one chaotic blur of activity.

On the Fastrack

That's pretty much standard procedure for a lot of creative work done on company payroll during company time.

Safe Havens

Samantha finds photographic voyeurism sexy I guess.

Midnight Moth
Sep 14, 2007

What the hell, dude??
I'm like, right here.
Gil

Only mom-approved books Gil.

Retail

:lol: at Cooper acting like some kind of retail Casanova. The only way I see to salvage this mentoring relationship they have going on is if Donnie starts following Cooper's advice and everything going horribly wrong.

"When I said something that would get Karl to enjoy winter I didn't expect you to actually give him something that would get him to enjoy winter."

Dustin

Saw the punchline coming from panel one. You need to do better, Steve Kelley.

On the Fastrack

Uh, why? There is such a thing as caring too much about your job.

Safe Havens

I have to imagine that a good percentage of people who see Holbrook's comics on any given day have no idea what the hell's going on.

Midnight Moth
Sep 14, 2007

What the hell, dude??
I'm like, right here.
Gil

So they actually have all that stuff in the house but Gil's mom won't let him eat any of it as a snack? Why would you get your kid's hopes up like that?

Retail

What's with the keyboard?

Half the fun in extreme sports is the bruises and scars and torn appendages as your friends cheer you on.

Dustin

Since when did Dustin get a new car?

On the Fastrack

Brevity is the soul of wit.

Safe Havens

Perfect! Now it's just like my college dormitory!

Tiggum posted:

OK, quite aside from the fact that the whole plan (setting up a Facebook page for a company, getting lots of customers to Like it and then selling it) is incredibly dumb, and the fact that Dethany actually cares about this for some reason, if I understand this correctly then the company that they sold their page to is still going to run it as the official FastRack page? They didn't just buy it to get a page with a bunch of followers to use for their own marketing? And how would using Breech's Facebook page avoid the problem in any way? If the new owner would object to you starting a new FastRack page, wouldn't they object just as much to you turning an existing page into a new FastRack page?

Why am I trying to make sense of a Holbrook comic?
Best I figure is Dethany's lifetime ambition is to be a web community manager/moderator. So now she's in withdrawl and needs to start a new community quick.

Midnight Moth
Sep 14, 2007

What the hell, dude??
I'm like, right here.

The answer posted:

Beyond Slylock's natural instinct to doubt anything Shady says, he found absolutely no fallen shards from the taillights at the accident.

Slylock Fox

Sorry Smitty but those coins are eminent domain now. Should've known better than to bury your private stash on public property when you were seven. Slylock will be taking them off your hands for you.

Midnight Moth
Sep 14, 2007

What the hell, dude??
I'm like, right here.
Gil

I hope you don't use that one in school because that's a surefire way to get yourself sent to the school counselor.

Retail

The same reason anyone prefers liquid cash? Also wow someone's a paranoid cynic.

Bleeker, maybe you should just, you know, run away to go live with Lila. Skip probably wouldn't even notice you're gone.

Dustin

"Just kidding, he didn't actually say that. But that was a super sweet contrived burn at Obama, huh?"

On the Fastrack

Bud probably uses unique passwords for every account and they all have numbers and symbols and alt caps in them.

Heaven's Love Thrift Shop

Totally not Blondie.

Midnight Moth
Sep 14, 2007

What the hell, dude??
I'm like, right here.
Gil

I did one on Jaqueline Cochran once because I thought a woman racing and war pilot was pretty cool.

Retail

Hate to break it to you Mina but...

Refurb is actually planning to use it as part of an elaborate turkey costume.

Dustin

No political hamfistedness in my Dustin comics.

On the Fastrack

I gotta agree with Fi. Dethany is seriously too invested in this.

Safe Havens

Good luck. Those things are a pain in the rear end to take apart.

Midnight Moth
Sep 14, 2007

What the hell, dude??
I'm like, right here.

Gorilla Salad posted:

Mind you, if you could verify their value with the store, I'd offer the guy, say, 60 cents on the dollar.
Apparently you can call a number on the back of the giftcard to verify the amount on it or just ask a cashier in the store to scan it. But your best bet is just to sell them on eBay. I've done it before.

Midnight Moth
Sep 14, 2007

What the hell, dude??
I'm like, right here.

The answer posted:

Trees grow from the top. The nail would remain the same distance from the ground.

Slylock Fox

Slylock and Max just broke into Weirdly's holo-chamber and went for a joyride. The only thing wrong is their hypocritical disregard for property law.

Moose and Molly

drat look at the size of that sandwich. There's something going on here because this is really going beyond basic hospitality.

Midnight Moth
Sep 14, 2007

What the hell, dude??
I'm like, right here.
Gil

Handheld video game player. Really. And honestly you probably could find an old GBA or DS and a pile of games at a yard sale for really cheap and it'd keep you entertained for hundreds of hours.

Retail

Marla should forget all her lame old friends and be BFFs with Mina. They get along so well :allears:.

I mean, who knows when the last time you changed your oil was?

Dustin

I should hope lawyers use proper spelling and punctuation.

On the Fastrack

That doesn't make a whole lot of sense, and I think you max out at 5000 or so friends anyway.

Safe Havens

If you can time travel wouldn't you be able to foresee everything that could possibly go wrong?

Midnight Moth
Sep 14, 2007

What the hell, dude??
I'm like, right here.

GorfZaplen posted:

I'm really sure that Dustin has made this exact joke before, only it was to his sister.
The real question is how Dustin got a new phone so fast after he just dropped his iPhone on the road.

Midnight Moth
Sep 14, 2007

What the hell, dude??
I'm like, right here.

Tiggum posted:

I can't help thinking that this comic would be a hell of a lot better if Lila owned Bleeker and Karl wasn't in it.
You're probably right. It'd be essentially the same but Lila would show up more to be with Bleeker and Bleeker wouldn't be so miserable and naggy all the time since he wouldn't feel obligated to babysit Lila like he does with Skip.

Midnight Moth
Sep 14, 2007

What the hell, dude??
I'm like, right here.
Gil

The Hulk, and Dora, but only if she has her monkey with her.

Retail

Wait so she went from being a manager of one store to assistant manager of another? Wow Mina is a more incompetent villain than I thought. So much for her power climb.

Yesterday's strip was Refurb borrowing Karl's duster so yeah he just had a spontaneous existential crisis.

Dustin

Just ignore him?

On the Fastrack

Uh, she did? I've been posting this strip for over a year and don't remember that. Also, Dethany has a lot of dumb ideas but evil's not really her thing.

Safe Havens

Since she's a time-traveler, you know all the cash is ill-gotten but who cares? We're rich!

Midnight Moth fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Jan 8, 2014

Midnight Moth
Sep 14, 2007

What the hell, dude??
I'm like, right here.

Some Guy TT posted:

I'm not sure whether this is supposed to be a serious attack on Ted Rall or just a light-hearted jest. But then again actual Ted Rall cartoons have the same problem.
It's signed by both of them so presumably it was a collaborative effort.

Midnight Moth
Sep 14, 2007

What the hell, dude??
I'm like, right here.
Gil

By being sheltered and not having exposure to the world outside of popular media basically.

Retail

I'm curious too. I'm gonna need some illustrative examples here because my take on her is she's a smooth talker but otherwise kind of incompetent at actually achieving her goals.

Probably an electronics processing and assembly plant in Taiwan.

Dustin

Maybe you should ask if you can pay with two cows and a chicken.

On the Fastrack

I gotta agree. What the hell.

Safe Havens

No, named after Leonardo DiCaprio. What young woman immediately thinks of TMNT?

Midnight Moth
Sep 14, 2007

What the hell, dude??
I'm like, right here.

The answer posted:

No space suits, clouds, and moon in the lunar sky.

Slylock Fox (Oct 8 1993)

Because Slylock Fox himself is #1 video game player in the world and plays a mean game of Pong.

Moose and Molly

The Miller home is surprisingly well maintained. I kinda expected it to be more like the outside of their house with trash strewn everywhere and things falling apart.

Midnight Moth
Sep 14, 2007

What the hell, dude??
I'm like, right here.
Gil

Who doesn't love a trip to the local convenience store?

Retail

I want to know the juicy details on how she pulled that off. Sabotage a store inspection? Tip off corporate HR with some dirt? Inside job heist of a bunch of valuable merchandise? Murder? And why hasn't she been able to replicate that success at Delman's, especially since their manager is such a sitting duck?

That was pretty mean, but IIRC he was just a pile of loose parts in a box back then.

Dustin

Eh, the laptop I'm using is a 2005 Fujitsu running XP.

On the Fastrack

Just a reminder, Holbrook actually did make a Facebook page for Fistula back in August that has 76 likes.

Safe Havens

Oh just fight to the death already.

Midnight Moth fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Jan 10, 2014

Midnight Moth
Sep 14, 2007

What the hell, dude??
I'm like, right here.
Gil

Don't you know the joys of a sedentary lifestyle?

Retail

My my. It's nice to see someone take initiative.

But Bleeker, you had an existential crisis once too that you got over by having Grammy K tell you to stop moping and get over it. Although Slinkys are good too.

Dustin

Why should he be? The happy holidays have passed into unhappy January and now he's just realized that those big juicy burgers on tv are all a lie???

On the Fastrack

"Anything to get you to stop internet detectiving me behind my back."

Safe Havens

Useful skill for any budding psychopath.

Midnight Moth
Sep 14, 2007

What the hell, dude??
I'm like, right here.

Borden posted:

Well, this makes even less sense now that I look at it.

This totally kicks rear end.

Midnight Moth
Sep 14, 2007

What the hell, dude??
I'm like, right here.
Gil

I did that in a classroom once when the teacher wouldn't excuse me go to the bathroom fast enough. My classmates had to clean it up while the teacher sent me to the nurse.

Retail

This joke wouldn't make any sense not in the context of a comic strip. How would Marla not immediately notice a huge pile of items right in front of her?

Before he got Bleeker to babysit him Skip got concussions on a weekly basis.

Dustin

That's gonna be you in a few years old man.

On the Fastrack

Can you actually add skills to other people's LinkedIn pages? Because if so...

Heaven's Love Thrift Shop

Making your employees shovel snow in a blizzard seems like worker abuse or something.

Midnight Moth fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Jan 12, 2014

Midnight Moth
Sep 14, 2007

What the hell, dude??
I'm like, right here.
Yes Holbrook does a weekly summary for Safe Havens too on the Safe Havens FB page. It's somewhat useful for going back and checking what happened a few months ago without digging through and rereading the comic archive. Or explaining what the hell is going on which can be a problem in Holbrook strips.

Midnight Moth
Sep 14, 2007

What the hell, dude??
I'm like, right here.

Macaluso posted:

Wait what? Your teacher made your classmates clean up your barf? Did your classmates hate you after that??

No because the guy who did it was my friend and I used to let him copy my homework. Yeah.

Midnight Moth
Sep 14, 2007

What the hell, dude??
I'm like, right here.

The answer posted:

A silver medal is a second-place prize. If Big Brag Wolf had won first prize, he would have been awarded a gold medal.

Slylock Fox

Because Slylock-Land is like a Redwall-esque horror universe where you can pretty much profile various species based on innate traits. The raggedly clothing also gives him away as part of the criminal underclass.

Moose and Molly

Gotta love how everyone hugs each other in this strip.

Midnight Moth
Sep 14, 2007

What the hell, dude??
I'm like, right here.
Gil

"Wait, you mean there are other kids at our school besides Morgan?"

Retail

"It was really just to test the levels to which your batshit vindictiveness could reach, and the answer was pretty drat high."

New character to steal away Skip's affections from Bleeker?

Dustin

Alrighty then.

On the Fastrack

Vigilante money-making huh?

Safe Havens

I still don't understand why she had human-Palmtop sleep on the floor.

Midnight Moth
Sep 14, 2007

What the hell, dude??
I'm like, right here.
I'm still waiting for Cooper to get fired for backtalking customers and Marla to get fired for sharing HR decisions with the competition. Oh wait.

Midnight Moth
Sep 14, 2007

What the hell, dude??
I'm like, right here.
Gil

Does this explain everyone in Retail?

Retail

Wow sweet I always wanted a volatile manager who flew off the handle at the slightest provocation. And we already knew you wouldn't have given him a raise since you pretty much flat out denied it without any consideration.

I'm guessing this is going to lead to some real dog/robo dog shenanigans although we already had that theme come up a few times.

Dustin

Buckle up, kids, we're in for a week of this. Although I admit I like that dog.

On the Fastrack

Why does Breech keep getting assigned to this when she's an accounting executive?

Safe Havens

What does she have that I don't???

Midnight Moth
Sep 14, 2007

What the hell, dude??
I'm like, right here.
If Rosa wants someone who's bold and spontaneous she should find someone who is and ditch Gunther instead of trying to change him. Honestly I'm not really sure what she ever saw in him in the first place.

Midnight Moth
Sep 14, 2007

What the hell, dude??
I'm like, right here.
Skip's parents have never been shown AFAIK although I haven't read it from the beginning. I have no idea why Orac-L or especially Grammy K have been written out since they should both still be around.

Midnight Moth
Sep 14, 2007

What the hell, dude??
I'm like, right here.

GorfZaplen posted:

I'm still not convinced the dog isn't going to disappear at the end of the week.
Also possible since Blik-R and Karl's girlfriend were only around for a week.

bonestructure posted:

They were shown a few times, but only from the waist down. The last time we saw them (or rather, their legs and butts) they were heading out the door with suitcases saying "Oh, Grammy K is going to come stay with you for a while!" Exit parents, pursued by a bear. We also had Refurb as one of the new characters, but he's actually pretty good. This dog makes the fourth new character introduced to the strip in the last year or two. I guess they're just throwing everything at the metaphorical wall to see what sticks.
Yeah, I just started reading it from the beginning and Skip's parents are around in the house but off panel. Also Bleeker is the only robot so far and it's a lot of Skip trying to treat Bleeker like a real dog gags.

Midnight Moth fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Jan 15, 2014

Midnight Moth
Sep 14, 2007

What the hell, dude??
I'm like, right here.

The answer posted:

Slylock noticed the platinum ring on Rudy Rat's tail. The rat is the thief!

Slylock Fox

One of the criminals was probably a bird and just flew off. Or a chameleon and is actually in plain sight but camouflaged. I mean this is anthropomorphic animal land. :geno:.

Moose and Molly

Moose is capitalizing on an opportunity for trespassing, theft and child neglect.

Midnight Moth
Sep 14, 2007

What the hell, dude??
I'm like, right here.

Volume posted:

Pay attention folks: Josh is living the dream. He's quitting and telling his boss to shove it up her rear end.
Josh is such an arrogant dick but honestly I hate Marla so much more and with everyone else in the store fawning over her I totally want to see Marla lose it and dig her own grave here.

e: Sweet new avatar!

Midnight Moth fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Jan 15, 2014

Midnight Moth
Sep 14, 2007

What the hell, dude??
I'm like, right here.
Gil

Spoilers - Grade school grades don't matter as long as you pass.

Retail

:lol: It was totally worth it.

Oh no poor Bleeker. If it's any consolation, I'd totally let you hang out at my place. Could always use more gadgets.

Dustin

What's with moms and Scrabble?

On the Fastrack

Whoo! Girls night out!

Safe Havens

You should have an inch-thick layer by the end of the week.

Midnight Moth
Sep 14, 2007

What the hell, dude??
I'm like, right here.

Command Ant posted:

If you were Josh in this situation, and your rear end in a top hat boss blew up like this while firing you, would you even try to keep yourself from smiling?

I sure as hell wouldn't. :smug:
I'd be even more of a dick and goad her until she called security.

Midnight Moth
Sep 14, 2007

What the hell, dude??
I'm like, right here.

Some Guy TT posted:

I remember this same comment being made when Jameson fired that guy in Spider-Man a few weeks ago. Think that over for a moment, Marla. You are now easily comparable to J. Jonah Jameson in terms of your management ability.

The best part is going to be when Stuart forces her to hire the backstabbing redhead right away because she interviewed so well. Also because Marla's the reason the store has an unplanned personnel problem.
Mina's hair is black, but yeah, Marla's actually going to have to work those 100 hours now (on salary no less) or settle for Mina since it was stated in an earlier strip that there had to be a manager in the store at all times.

Midnight Moth
Sep 14, 2007

What the hell, dude??
I'm like, right here.

Nipponophile posted:

The characters hated Josh because he was a sychophantic kiss-rear end who drank the corporate kool-aid from the moment he appeared.

In an early appearance he tells Marla that corporate policy says she shouldn't be wearing a skirt above the knee. When she replies that the Delman's dress code hasn't been updated since the 50's, he sneers "Doesn't matter, rules are rules."
I seem to remember that strip had Marla replying that if he looked at her skirt again she'd break the glasses on his face.

Midnight Moth
Sep 14, 2007

What the hell, dude??
I'm like, right here.
Gil

Yes, but it'll cost you some chores...

Retail

Marla is just such a team player she just volunteered a boatload of free unpaid labor hours to the benefit of well, The Powers That Be.

Aw, everyone didn't forget about Bleeker after all. And maybe they can be friends and Bleeker will lighten up a bit.

Dustin

Reverse psychology doesn't work on the oblivious.

On the Fastrack

You're living in a Holbrook-verse so you can bet it's current events related. You don't even need to ask.

Safe Havens

"After all, I do have a menagerie of other animal sidekicks to experiment on. Now where are those dodos..."

Some Guy TT posted:

Has Marla ever even wear a skirt outside this one incident to prove how terrible Josh is? I can't remember seeing anyone at the store without a standard uniform. Although since they're almost always drawn from the waist up it's hard to tell.
Yes, Marla has always worn a skirt although I think she's the only girl in the store who does.

Midnight Moth fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Jan 16, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midnight Moth
Sep 14, 2007

What the hell, dude??
I'm like, right here.
Nice to see you develop a healthy interest in girls' skirts, dude.

• Locked thread