Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Bitchtits McGee posted:

Ham Shears

That's Ingrid in the glasses, and Jill with the anime haircut; Ham lives in their apartment. Ingrid tends to be pessimistic and easily aggravated, while Jill's character is more of a comedic straight-woman. (She's implied to be in unrequited lesbians with Ingrid, but that's not quite 100% definite yet.)

Pretty sure it's not unrequited, I think it's just never explicitly confirmed to try to avoid complaints.

Manuel Calavera posted:

Family Circus is a zombie strip by Jeffy Keane, the current artist and author. Created by father Billy in 1960. It started out interesting, but has become preachy and saccharine.

The father's Bil. I believe Billy is most directly based on Glen, but the only child in the strips who shares a name with one of Bil's real-life children is Jeffy.

Aardmania posted:

Judge Parker

So, are we expected to believe that she didn't kill that woman? :crossarms:

Mr. Maltose posted:

Cow and Boy was a pretty mediocre gag a day strip that occasionally went beyond the average but got booted off syndication. The creator tried to continue it as a webcomic, probably as a temporary measure until he could get it back into papers, but it didn't work out. The last month or so has been the Cow and the Boy discussing their inevitable end.

It started out really good, it just kind of lost steam a bit toward the end and became a bit repetitive. The cast of characters was cut in half and it started relying more on callbacks and in-jokes. The early strips are really good though.

Anyway, here are some of my edits from the last year.

The "Amazing" Spider-Man

Apartment 3-G

Dick Tracy

Dilbert

Garfield

Jane's World

Luann

Mary Worth

Momma

Pooch Café

Rex Morgan, MD

What? Who is this?

And for anyone who's interested, I have this blog where I post edits and other stuff, and I also do the Twitter and have a Facebook.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

In a desperate bid for attention, Tommie has gotten engaged. I can't wait to see what ridiculous thing happens to Margo or Lu Ann to sideline her again. Do you think we'll actually get to see the fiancé or just hear about how the wedding's been called off after the fact? I'm hoping that someone proposes to Lu Ann again and the strip focuses entirely on that and we never hear another word about Tommie's forthcoming wedding.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Bitchtits McGee posted:

How do you figure that? Ingrid has never expressed any noticeable level of affection for anything, plus the strip is web-only as far as I know, so reader complaints are far less likely to be a concern.

I can't pull up any solid evidence, it's just the impression I've gotten from various strips.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Johnny Aztec posted:

Oh yes, two 20-something women living together in an apartment with no obvious male attachments, They MUST be loving.
You got it, you cracked the case. Good job, slugger.

There's more to it than that, and I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one who sees it, but I don't have an encyclopaedic knowledge of the comic to go back through and pull up evidence, so I can't be more specific, sorry. :shrug:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

SubNat posted:

Moomin

I'd appreciate some help in nailing down which have been posted, and which haven't, yet.

We've definitely seen Moomin Mamma's Maid and Moomin and the Sea. Not sure about Moomin's Desert Island.

Aardmania posted:

Dick Tracy

I get knocked down, but I get up again. :allears:

Aardmania posted:

Spider-Man (Nov. 02-08, 2008)

This is just as good as I remember it. :allears:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Midnight Moth posted:

On the Fastrack

OK, quite aside from the fact that the whole plan (setting up a Facebook page for a company, getting lots of customers to Like it and then selling it) is incredibly dumb, and the fact that Dethany actually cares about this for some reason, if I understand this correctly then the company that they sold their page to is still going to run it as the official FastRack page? They didn't just buy it to get a page with a bunch of followers to use for their own marketing? And how would using Breech's Facebook page avoid the problem in any way? If the new owner would object to you starting a new FastRack page, wouldn't they object just as much to you turning an existing page into a new FastRack page?

Why am I trying to make sense of a Holbrook comic?

don Jaime posted:

I don't know what Liō is up to. Cow tools stuff, maybe.

The "joke" here is the same as in every other Liō strip. There's some sort of monstrous creature, but rather than being scared of it Liō is friends with it.

7lip posted:

Where did Sally Forth go? :( It's my favourite.

I'd volunteer to post it but I am the king of being busy than reading 3 or 4 days of posts at a time.

You know you can read comics that aren't posted here, right?

BTW, ChickenOfTomorrow, I thought of some stuff you might want to add to the OP.

The Lovely Ladies of Apartment 3-G is a blog that comments on Apartment 3-G and is pretty funny.
Son of Stuck Funky is the same but for Funky Winkerbean.
Reynard Noir is a Slylock Fox parody in a noir style (unfortunately no longer updated).
Scott Meets Family Circus is a Family Circus parody (also no longer updated).
Luann DeGroot on Twitter. A parody account, definitely not Greg Evans.
The Garbage Ape on Twitter. The Twitter account of Heathcliff's garbage ape.
J Jonah Jameson on Twitter. Not specifically related to newspaper Spider-Man but a funny Twitter anyway.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

7lip posted:

It isn't in my local paper, and driving to a different city every morning to see if their paper has it doesn't appeal to me; thanks for the suggestion though!

Today's Sally Forth. Or you can read it on the Seattle PI website if you prefer. Or in the Houston Chronicle. Who reads comics in an actual printed newspaper?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

That actually works. People give more money to well-dressed beggars.

Mandrake the Magician (1941-09-14 and 1941-09-21)

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Midnight Moth posted:

Bleeker the Rechargeable Dog

Bleeker, maybe you should just, you know, run away to go live with Lila. Skip probably wouldn't even notice you're gone.

I can't help thinking that this comic would be a hell of a lot better if Lila owned Bleeker and Karl wasn't in it.

Fox is wearing clothes.
Mouse is wearing clothes.
Fox and mouse have human-like expressions and hands,
Fox is driving.
Fox is wearing a space helmet even though there is clearly a breathable atmosphere.
Mouse is not scared of fox.

Six. Six things wrong.

I like Jane's World, but it is ridiculously hard to follow. Are we supposed to know who this Dorrie is or what wedding they're talking about? Is any of this even happening in the present or are we still three layers deep in nested flashbacks?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Some Guy TT posted:

It's All Right Chief Dharma

Uh, what is going on here? What's a water control office? Why is chief Dharma worried about being recognised? What are they bidding on? Just, what does any of this mean?

Do people still use those stupid abbreviations anyway? Smartphones seem to make them pretty pointless.

What is it with people in comics complaining about leftovers? I wish my family's Christmas turkey had lasted that long.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

BlankIsBeautiful posted:

Must be "rip on Miley" day in the comics world.

If only it were just a day. Several comic authors have been using "Miley Cyrus" in place of a punchline whenever they're feeling especially lazy lately. Bill Holbrook's done it about half a dozen times, I think. Two comics (Heart of the City and Frazz, maybe?) both did "jokes" about kids threatening to dress as Miley for Halloween so their horrified parents would say yes to the costume they really wanted and the parents calling their bluff.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Some Guy TT posted:

No plastic surgery... so it can't be a woman? :stare:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Aardmania posted:

Spider-Man (Nov. 24-28, 2008)

Every one of these is pure gold. :-D

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Coney ate Lindesfarne?

EasyEW posted:

Out Our Way (March 19-20, 1924)

Well, that one's easy, you can live that one over any time you like. Making bread is not some sort of lost secret of the ancients.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Manuel Calavera posted:

Mother Goose & Grimm

The joke specifically relies on Robin being a child, and yet he is clearly drawn as an adult.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Volume posted:

I don't understand why Marla is angry about this. Isn't this what she wanted?

Because Marla is angry about everything all the time. It doesn't matter what happens, she will always find some way to make a problem out of it, blame someone else for that problem, and be angry about it.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Some Guy TT posted:

Yet another Chief Dharma where I have no idea what's going on.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Wow. That is super creepy. :stare:

Mmann posted:

We all know Cooper is gonna get the job just because he told Josh "I'll have your job within the year" or however it was phrased, because Retail is hot garbage.
Though I have to say it's a much more fun strip to hate than Luann or the like, and that I actually look forward to the updates just to see how right or wrong I am about my dumb predictions.

I really do love to hate Retail.

Luann is way better than Retail. At least it has Tiffany.

Ema Nymton posted:

You see, Holbrook, if a comic strip is going to joke about intelligent creatures with feelings being eaten without remorse or question, this is how you do it. The person-eater is a monster. He's likeable, but still a monster. We're not supposed to accept his behavior as normal or identify with him. He's not a fantastic Gary Stu who also happens to eat people off-panel. It can be read without mental whiplash, and thus has potential to be funny.

It's just a pity it never lives up to that potential.

Drakyn posted:

This is the bit that you'd think would sort of puncture the HERO OF THE PEOPLE narrative brewing about this guy. He's Smithers minus the secret love and plus the hope of career advancement, and the only reason he's at loggerheads with his employer right now is because someone who knew him from working at the same level got promoted into the position, rather than an outsider he could rear end-kiss. Like, if anyone wants to dislike Marla or Cooper or Klambert or whatever the hell all those other cranky people are, sure, that's an honest decision to make, but you don't have to start reinventing a perfectly obvious toady as something other than what he is to do it

They're all terrible, obviously, but Josh was by far the least hateable. He was the only one not motivated by petty spite.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Drimble Wedge posted:

So if [Scary Gary is] not living up to its potential, how could it be improved?(not being defensive, just curious)

By including some actual jokes. "Leopold eats a person" isn't a joke by itself, it's just a thing he does. A monster that eats people living in a suburban house in the modern world is a good premise on which to base a humorous comic, as is a fat, friendly suburban vampire or an evil little girl who's infatuated with a monster who's dating a giant woman, but on their own they're not jokes, you have to actually do something with it. Scary Gary is just lazy and doesn't bother. Every strip is basically just restating the premise. It works for a while, but once you've been reading long enough you see that it's just repeating itself over and over and never actually builds on any of it.

Drakyn posted:

One of the first things we saw him do in the strip since the threads started carrying it was deliberately make his boss look like a dunce in a conference call when it would've taken literally no effort to bail her out. He was then shocked and surprised when this entirely rational stratagem backfired and made her dislike him more.
I repeat: he's a less loyal and competent Smithers. There is nothing else there. You can despise everyone else in Retail for being the awful people that they are without trying to martyr one of the strip's nastier and more superficial characters on the altar of their dislike.

If that was the first Retail strip you saw I can understand how you'd get that impression, but A) He didn't deliberately make her look dumb, she made herself look dumb and he just didn't bother to help her out of the hole she'd dug herself and B) she'd given him absolutely no reason to ever help her in any way, since she'd made it abundantly clear that he would get nothing in return. She's petty and never lets go of a grudge. So instead of trying to please her, which is pointless, he let her deal with her own problems. Even if he had helped her in that situation she'd just have found something else to hate him for instead, because she always does.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Drakyn posted:

At the time she was clearly worried and actively looking to him for help, which is pretty damned noteworthy because they hate each other. If he were merely a somewhat smug and highly competent guy who loved his job, that would be a PERFECT opportunity to (1) prove he's better than her (2) still come off looking on-the-ball to his boss's boss and (3) probably undo a good chunk of the low-level anger she feels towards him for being a corporate tool back when they worked at the same level. There was utterly no reason to watch her crash and burn in front of him, arms crossed, because even if she was going to find some way to blame him for helping her, there is no way in hell it was going to be comparable to the bile raised by his deliberately withholding cost-free aid. You just claimed the reason the guy was more likable than the rest of the cast was because he was the only one who wasn't motivated by petty spite and one of the earliest things we saw him do was saw his nose off because gently caress YOU FACE, I DO WHAT I LIKE, THAT NOSE WAS ALREADY BLEEDING ANYWAYS.

A) One of the first things you saw him do. Many of us have been reading the comic for longer than that, and it had even appeared in either the last iteration of this thread or the one before. It was not new to us at that point.

B) He wasn't cutting off his nose to spite his face. His failure to help Marla in that situation cost him nothing. She already hated him and it didn't change the opinion of Marla's boss (who likes him).

C) There was a great reason to watch her crash and burn. She treats him terribly all the time, even when he goes out of his way to be pleasant and helpful. He knows from experience that helping her is not going to do him any good, so he may as well get some satisfaction out of seeing her fall on her arse.

And again, no one here is saying that they like Josh. We just dislike him less than Marla or Cooper.

Midnight Moth posted:

Slylock Fox

I'm more concerned about how wrong Slylock is holding that coffee mug and the fact that they have a nativity scene, a Star of David, and a Santa Claus figurine on the fireplace mantle.

The star is probably the Star of Bethlehem.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Simian_Prime posted:

Retail is seriously starting to make me hate this thread and never want to return. GO AWAY!!!

... But strangely enough I really like Gil. I'm just amazed that Feuti can make one series that's charming, and another that's completely abhorrent. It's a little like the Raine Dog/Heavenly Nostrils divide.

And tragically, Gil gets cancelled while Retail lives on.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Zamboni_Rodeo posted:

In this case, I'm hoping it's grape juice anyway and not wine since it's been established that Dag is a recovering alcoholic.

Drug addict, I think.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Elysiume posted:

What? And I don't think they have chips for pedophilia. Or call it sobriety.

I would assume alcohol even though sobriety is for drugs in general.

The fact that he says "I've been clean" suggests drugs to me rather than alcohol, but maybe I'm reading too much into a single word.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Aardmania posted:

Spider-Man (Dec. 18, 2008)

The hard way is to shoot them with a gun. The easy way was to tie Jameson to a giant clock, arrange for Maria to be underneath it at a precise moment, rig it to fall at that moment, and have his accomplice successfully flee the scene dressed as Spider-Man in order to frame him. Yep, that sounds right. :haw:

The Sphinxster posted:

On a randomly positive note-- I really like Tina's Groove. It often makes me smile and I never seem to see anything that irks me.

It sometimes seems a bit sexist, but it's generally pretty good.

GorfZaplen posted:

The Phantom

Haha, I love Guran here. "Uh, Phantom, did you forget the secret part of your secret lair in the deep woods where no one is allowed to go?"

Oh, it's this SMBC only not as good.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

dpbjinc posted:

It's probably been said before, but this comic would be 100 times better if there were no captions below the panels. Did the publishers mandate a certain amount of words back then, or is it just a chronic case of Buckleyboxes?

The conventions of comics hadn't been established, things had to be spelled out a bit more.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

GorfZaplen posted:

Mandrake the Magician

This has wrapped around to amazing again :allears:

"Your planet is poo poo, is what we're saying. You live on a lovely planet. The only reason we're still here is to let you know that we hate your lovely planet. We'll leave soon, but first, is there some way we can let everyone here know how much we hate them and this lovely planet? We'll go door-to-door if we have to, but if there's some quicker way that would be great."

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Aardmania posted:

That big change was that the Spidey storyline was reset back to when Peter was in college. It proved to be so popular that it was dropped after five months and explained away as being a dream

But Maria Lopez was never seen again. :(

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Say Nothing posted:

When thumbnailed, doesn't that middle panel look like goatse?
That can't be a coincidence.

People see goatse everywhere and it is always a coincidence.

Hip'n Relevant is one of my favourite comics.

Halibut Barn posted:

Apparently the late 30s and early 40s are a pretty rough time for a Phantom. Midlife crisis kicks in, he can't be slowing down just yet, surely he can take on as many ships full of pirates as when he was 25...

I posted about this on the official Phantom website recently, so I'll just copy and paste (some of) what I said there.

Tiggum posted:

In 1936 there had been 20 Phantoms since 1536. That makes the average life expectancy for a Phantom 40 (that’s a career length of 20 years and the assumption that they generally start around age 20). If we assume that the 21st is currently 40 years old in 2014, that makes the average lifespan of his predecessors closer to 48 (four extra years of career time plus four extra years each of their children waited to become the next Phantom, making the average starting age 24).

Tony DePaul also posted a response. And he spelled my name right. That hardly ever happens.

Tony DePaul posted:

Thanks for your thoughts on this, Mathew. There’s definitely a balancing act required in advancing the technology available to the Phantom even as he appears not to advance in age. Equipping Skull Cave with internet access was disconcerting to some readers at first but it had to be done. When I was a kid, I remember the Phantom climbing telephone poles to plug in a handset and ring up Colonel Worubu. Nowadays, I wonder if younger readers would even get what he was attempting to do if he were to climb a utility pole!

He’s not carrying a smartphone yet but that’s probably coming. I think it’s twice now that we’ve shown him using one.

Aardmania posted:

Judge Parker

Alan has just totally lost his mind. :stare:

Here's an idea, Lynn. If you wanted him to come get his shoes, tell him to do that instead of asking a question you didn't want him to answer. :argh:

Indolent Bastard posted:

I almost never "get" [It's All Right Chief Dharma].

Neither do I. In fact, I wish there was an explanation posted with each one just so I wouldn't have to keep asking.

JaggerMcDagger posted:

What happens with WeePals next? Do they end the strip, or run reruns until a new person comes along? It wasn't a zombie strip, but would they make it one?

Let's hope not.

Binary Badger posted:

Does anyone see Jonah climbing into the old school Iron Man armor in about three strips or so? That would rock if he did.

Let's hope! :allears:

Wanamingo posted:

Arlo and Janis

Arlo and Janis is the dullest comic ever. This strip is pretty typical. Arlo is looking forward to the warm weather. That's it. There's nothing else there. Why does this comic exist?

Midnight Moth posted:

On the Fastrack

Would've been an ok joke without the final thought bubble to explain it.

Except the way she says it doesn't make sense. "The company's mission statement is mislabelled as Ms. Trellis's personal net worth." means that there is a file labelled "Ms. Trellis's personal net worth" that contains the company's mission statement. What it was clearly supposed to mean though is that the company's mission is to increase Ms. Trellis's net worth. Which I'm pretty sure it actually is since she's the owner, so that shouldn't surprise anyone.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

LvK posted:

You know the rule about how, if you don't get one of these strips, you should assume it's about sex? When you're bored by one of these strips, ALSO assume it's about sex.

So, always?

Midnight Moth posted:

On the Fastrack

If they sacrifice their hard disk space until after the reboot, doesn't that mean they'll just be deleted? Is the bug trying to murder malware by trickery?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

TyrsHTML posted:

Where the hell does the Phantom get all this stuff anyway? The Phantom line only dates back to the age of sailing.

I'm guessing that the Singh Brotherhood probably have a pretty extensive collection of art and artifacts, and if the Phantom happens to come across any of it in the process of administering vigilante justice, well, he could donate it to a museum...

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

The largest pizzas I can get from any pizza place I know of are 18". Two of those are enough pizza for about six people. Is the rule that you should never have a meeting with more than six people? That seems like a pretty small number.

Some Guy TT posted:

"Aunt" has got to be the wrong word here. That guy can't possibly be chief Dharma's grandchild.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

GorfZaplen posted:

The Phantom

Safekeeping? When were you planning on returning it?

The Sphinxster posted:

Actually is there anything special about ~Lisa's Story~? That's kind of bugging me now. There's some kind of race, that's about all I know.

The race is a memorial fundraiser, so it's not even part of the story.

Volume posted:

I remember one time after they got running a race for breast cancer. Les was all "You know what I got on my mind?" and his current wife just looked heart broken because she knows he's thinking about his dead wife. She was just so broken and trapped in this enabling relationship. It's sad.

Shugojin posted:

He's just going to keep piling up the ridiculous poo poo, then knock her out and threaten her "guide" into telling her it was all a fever induced hallucination.

Why even bother? She gets back home and writes an article about this white guy who speaks perfect English, wears a purple super-hero costume, and lives in a hidden cave shaped like a skull in the middle of the most remote part of the jungle with a tribe of pygmies and has a hoard of rare and lost or near mythical treasures, and claims to be immortal and hundreds of years old. If anyone publishes it it'll be as fiction.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Do American banks not have coin counting machines? Actually, even before the machines I could take coins, sorted by denomination, into the bank and they'd just weigh them to check the value and deposit it into my account.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Just Dan Again posted:

Wasn't this an edit? An edit that fooled a lot of us, but an edit nonetheless.

:ssh: It's not often I get the chance to try to fool people twice with the same edit.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

EasyEW posted:

Out Our Way (May 21, 1924)

I just cannot figure out what's going on in this comic. :confused:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Pakled posted:

Everett True
March 30, 1918

"Brown bread" obviously means something different here to the definition I'm used to, which is just wholemeal bread. Is this an American thing, or a 100 years ago thing or what? And what does "brown bread" actually refer to here? Rye bread? Does "white bread" mean any wheat bread, whether it's made of wholemeal or white flour?

Because she's a noble, upstanding lynx, not some filthy rat or raccoon.

Volume posted:

Ham Shears January 24, 2014

I don't know if this is an intentional Mary Worth parody or not, but either way it's pretty great.

Wanamingo posted:

Zachary Nixon Johnson

This reads like it should be a book, not a daily strip. It's really hard to follow in these small chunks.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

His Divine Shadow posted:

In the past, white bread was considered a luxury (since it discards so much of the wheat and requires more processing and sifting, and then it's bleached too) and white fluffy bread wasn't what most people used, they used whole meal flour and the resulting bread was darker and denser, and healthier but back in those days they didn't know that and white probably equaled healthy in most peoples minds.

About a century ago was about when typical white flour was becoming affordable for your average folks I believe.

But she says he can't have white bread because it's a wheatless day. Wholemeal bread is still made of wheat.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Transmodiar posted:

This guy is identical to the love interests of the other two women every other man in Apartment 3-G, right down to the aqua blue blazer and starched white button-up with top button casually open.

EasyEW posted:

Funky Winkerbean

Oscar? Did they seriously forget this was going to be a TV movie?
I'm not sure that that's ever actually been confirmed in the strip, we all just assumed that because obviously it would be.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

EasyEW posted:

Out Our Way (June 4-5, 1924)

I'm honestly starting to hate this comic. It's full of obnoxious arseholes and recycles jokes more than Garfield does. I liked it for a while, but it really didn't take long to wear out its welcome. Rather like Liō or Scary Gary, it's funny enough when you haven't seen much of it, but it just never really moves beyond its basic premise and just keeps reusing the same things over and over.

Speaking of arseholes...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

SynthOrange posted:

Yup, if you're already going out with someone, dont shove it all back in the closet. Jane keeps getting worse and worse the more I pay attention to her/the strip.

Wait, you think Jane is the arsehole here?

Dewgy posted:

Isn't this the chick who's assumed herself into a relationship with Jane though? Hardly her business at this point.

Yeah, they've been on one date and she's already planning their future and trying to take control of Jane's life.

• Locked thread