Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Mister Beeg posted:

It's her life. Let her live :shrug:

This is the correct opinion.

Six Chix

A very gimmicky comic which, as the name implies, is done by six different women. The quality between them shifts pretty wildly. Only two of the women here have other comics, Rina Piccolo who does Tina's Groove and Margaret Shulock who does the writing for Apartment 3-G.

Zippy the Pinhead

One of the old underground comix, Zippy has been going on since the 1970s. Not many people here enjoy it, but I do. It doesn't always succeed, but most of the time it tries to draw its humor through absurdism. Griffith is also always referencing tacky Americana, so if you see a weird statue or something then it probably actually exists. Though it doesn't shine through in the comic a lot of the time, Griffith is actually a really crazy good illustrator.

Nancy

A zombie strip that's done by everybody's favorite fan of country music, Jesus, and America, Guy Gilchrist. The only thing that makes this worse is that it used to be good.

Momma

gently caress Momma.

Wee Pals

Wee Pals, done by the 90 year old Morrie Turner, is fantastic. I originally started posting it because I thought it was kinda lovely, but it's grown on everybody. It started out in the 1960s as a racially diverse comic, and gained popularity after the assassination of MLK Jr. Morrie Turner clearly does not give a gently caress anymore, and has started doing comics about stuff like Trayvon Martin. We all love him for it.

Andertoons

Andertoons is very understated. It has simple artwork, relies way too much on graph jokes, and reuses the same few settings like crazy. In spite of that, though, it manages to stay generally pretty good. I like it, and as far as I know the thread consensus on it is positive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Aardmania posted:

Dick Tracy

:woop: Tracy gives us a late Christmas present!

Uh-oh, Blackjack killed somebody. I hope he's okay after this. :ohdear:

Six Chix

Zippy the Pinhead

Nancy

Momma

Wee Pals

Andertoons

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Presto posted:

You know, I was basically Gunther in high school, and even I'm sick of him. t:mad:t

I don't think there's a single likeable character in the comic.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Six Chix

Zippy the Pinhead

Nancy

Momma

Wee Pals

Andertoons

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

This is a minor complaint, but why is the smoke alarm emitting a single note? I've only ever heard them beep. Unless they were different in the 70s?

Of course though, I'd imagine most homes back then didn't even have the things.

Six Chix

Zippy the Pinhead

Nancy

I'm honest to god surprised that this isn't about a country musician.

Momma

Wee Pals

Andertoons

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Six Chix

Zippy the Pinhead

Nancy

Momma

Andertoons

:smith:

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

bonestructure posted:

With all the effort he spent stretching that to six panels, he could have written an actual joke.

I figure at this point Nancy is a good 90% clipart.

I don't have anything to support that beyond the white halos they have, but it feels like something Gilchrist would do.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

I Greyhound posted:

So across the Slylock Facebook group comes what appears to be a new "Oh, Brother!"?

I guess it could be a repeat since it's been so long since it ran. Maybe 2014 is the year it can return.

Is there an archive of these anywhere? I kind of want to start reposting them from the beginning.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Guess I'll repeat my question from earlier, does anyone know if there's an archive of Oh, Brother anywhere? Google isn't turning up anything for me, and I want to get in on that sweet, sweet posting reruns of old comics business.

Six Chix

Zippy the Pinhead

Nancy

Momma

Wee Pals

Andertoons

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Mister Beeg posted:

I have 25 weeks worth of dailies on PDF format. Will that do?

They're in black and white, though.

Nah, no thanks. I don't want to start unless I can actually post the full run, and even then converting them from a PDF sounds like too much effort.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

JaggerMcDagger posted:

I'm more confused about the set up. Like did it use to be a newspaper comic strip, and then the author was like "I have too much to say!" Was it like "The Creeps" where it just was posted on a comic affiliate but never actually in a paper?

I think it started in an LGBTQ alt-weekly or something like that.

Six Chix

Zippy the Pinhead

Nancy

That face.

Momma

Wee Pals

Andertoons

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Mister Beeg posted:

Lucky Cow (February 16-18, 2004)

Remember when music CDs used to be a thing?

Not just CDs, but cellphones being a rich person thing too. It's a twofer for outdated 90s stuff. :allears:

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Six Chix

Zippy the Pinhead

Nancy

Momma

Wee Pals

Don't get high off your own supply.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Six Chix

Zippy the Pinhead

Nancy

Another repeat from 2011. At least we wont have to see Phil Fumble.

Momma

It's sad when people have no life outside of their children.

Wee Pals

Andertoons

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

catlord posted:

So, right now it's reruns with some new material added? Because he's a lazy sack of poo poo? And his added stuff is cutting into the reruns making it even more confusing? Who the gently caress are the guys in the first two panels? What do they have to do with anything? I don't remember them before, were their reruns skipped over? gently caress you, Brooke.

I think the dieing guy is the same person in the middle panel there because when the flashback started he was holding his hand up against his head, in the same way they're holding the phones.

I have no idea how or why this is important.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Six Chix

Zippy the Pinhead

Nancy

Momma

So the joke here is...

Wee Pals

Andertoons

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Six Chix

Basically what Steam sales do to me.

Zippy the Pinhead

Nancy

Momma

Wee Pals

Andertoons

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Six Chix

Zippy the Pinhead

That pinhead is extremely unhappy about bronies.

Nancy

This is a new Nancy, as opposed to the past few which were repeats from 2011.

Momma

Wee Pals

Andertoons

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Midnight Moth posted:

Safe Havens

I still don't understand why she had human-Palmtop sleep on the floor.

Like with many questions about Holbrook's comics, the answer is that it's a fetish thing.

Six Chix

Zippy the Pinhead

Nancy

Momma

Wee Pals

Andertoons

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Six Chix

Zippy the Pinhead

Dingburgers seem like they'd be all about red mocho koolers.

Nancy

Momma

Wee Pals

Andertoons

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Six Chix

Zippy the Pinhead

Nancy

Momma

:barf:

Wee Pals

Andertoons

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Borden posted:

Classic Nancy (1949)

Child labor. :allears:

Darthemed posted:

Referencing GRIT magazine, which started in 1882 as a newspaper, and used this selling arrangement (minus warthogs) for quite a while.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=70s_Y7KwBlA

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Six Chix

Zippy the Pinhead

Nancy

Momma

Wee Pals

Andertoons

:stonklol:

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Everything Counts posted:

Is she... is she loving crying? :argh: I don't even like original Nancy all that much, although it's usually good for a chuckle--I'm just constantly offended by how Gilchrist has hijacked the strip and turned it into something saccharine and self-serving. Goddammit.

Gilchrist having Fritzi cry over this sort of thing isn't new.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Six Chix

Zippy the Pinhead

Nancy

I'm starving but they wont feed me if I say so. :(

Momma

Wee Pals

Andertoons

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Six Chix

Zippy the Pinhead

Nancy

Momma

Wee Pals

Andertoons

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Mister Beeg posted:

Nina's Adventures (December 3, 1993)

Just loving make them something, poo poo.

Six Chix

I don't get it. I think the reason people generally didn't smile in photos back then was because they had horrible teeth, though.

Zippy the Pinhead

Nancy

Momma

Wee Pals

Andertoons

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

The Creeps is honestly pretty distressing.

Six Chix

Zippy the Pinhead

Momma

Wee Pals

Andertoons

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

The Sphinxster posted:

On a randomly positive note-- I really like Tina's Groove. It often makes me smile and I never seem to see anything that irks me.

Piccolo is generally a pretty good cartoonist.

Six Chix

Zippy the Pinhead

Nancy

Momma

Wee Pals

Andertoons

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Midnight Moth posted:

Safe Havens

"Now how can I use this unfortunate situation to my advantage..."

Wouldn't somebody like her have a screen protector? It's crazy, but I think Holbrook may not have thought this comic all the way through.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I'll say one good thing about Nina's Adventures, at least there hasn't been any homophobia yet.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Six Chix

Zippy the Pinhead

Nancy

Momma

Wee Pals

Andertoons

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Six Chix

Zippy the Pinhead

Nancy

Momma

Wee Pals

Andertoons

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Mister Beeg posted:

Nina's Adventures (1999)

Somebody explain this to me. We shouldn't educate people because everybody has different ways of thinking? We should educate people so that everybody is exposed to different ideas? I honestly don't get it. I'd think it's advocating for that unschooling bullshit, but I'm pretty sure that didn't exist back then.

Six Chix

Zippy the Pinhead

Nancy

Momma

Wee Pals

Andertoons

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Six Chix

Zippy the Pinhead

Nancy

Man, this is just day and night compared to the quality in that Zippy.

Momma

Hah, Lazarus thinks that doctors still do house calls. Cute.

Wee Pals

Andertoons

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

I'm going to be disappointed if the answer is anything except for the fact that lie detectors don't actually work.

Six Chix

Zippy the Pinhead

Nancy

Momma

Wee Pals

Andertoons

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Well poo poo.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Six Chix

Zippy the Pinhead

Nancy

Momma

Wee Pals

Andertoons

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I was poking around GoComics earlier, and I found this.

You're welcome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Once Wee Pals hits permanent reruns I'm going to stop posting it, so in the meantime I'll be trying out a few replacements. Prepare for a small glut of comics today.

Six Chix

Zippy the Pinhead

Nancy

Momma

Wee Pals

Andertoons

Four Eyes

A single panel comic about dogs. It's newer and it only updates 3 times a week, so I'm starting from the beginning. From what I've seen it's actually pretty funny.

Arlo and Janis

Pretty okay comic about a middle aged couple, similar to Rose is Rose except not unbearably sweet. If you don't understand the joke then it means they're talking about sex.

Lost Side of Surburbia

I have precisely no clue what this is about but I'm posting it because I like the art.

Zachary Nixon Johnson

Some sort of story driven thing. It only updates 3 times a week and is also newish, so I'm starting from the beginning. Seems like it could be interesting so I'm honestly sort of curious to see where it goes.

• Locked thread