Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I'm surprised the Heaven's Love Thrift Shop SA callout didn't make the OP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I love how these Olde Timey comics always go out of their way to explain what's going on. The whole "plot" is in the title, then every character says what they're doing as they're doing it in drawn-out detail.

And I legit love the Old Crossing Watchman. He's like a cubicle worker who can take his cube home with him at night.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Mister Beeg posted:

Nina's Adventures (December 3, 1993)

Nina must be a joy during the Holidays.

I can't imagine a single moment where Nina would be even remotely tolerable in real life. Her whole personality seems to be based around "I don't see the value of <thing>, therefore it has no value at all."

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Foxy Grampa invented the mech suit? :monocle:

I'm also surprised that the fifth panel doesn't have a caption saying "Oh! The barrel is chasing us! How can this be? Quickly, we must escape around the corner!" or something.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Stan Lee is insane in all the best ways. :allears:

Lowen SoDium posted:

Is his face supposed to be drawn on the out side of the helmet or are we just seeing his face through the helmet for effect?
God, I hope that assistant just drew the face on the helmet with a Sharpie or something.

Wanamingo posted:

Zachary Nixon Johnson

That's a very Brooke-ian mouth there.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Midnight Moth posted:

Safe Havens

You should've seen this possibility coming when you married a supernatural entity.

Remind me again why these characters are always hanging upside-down from mobile trapeze?

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I know I'm behind on this, but...

Tiggum posted:

Inspector Danger's Crime Quiz

What? What? The tip-off was that a doctor's handwriting is illegible to everyone but the pharmacist? Not the fact that it's the Year Of Our Lord 2014 and doctors don't write out prescriptions on piece of paper for you anymore to hand to the pharmacist? Or the fact that this guy isn't actually his doctor?

I mean, christ, I'm tied to the pharma industry and I couldn't tell you how many mg an aspirin is.

God, gently caress this comic.

Evil Mastermind fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Mar 24, 2014

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

EasyEW posted:

Funky Winkerbean

I vaguely remember that the Eliminator or whatever she called herself was actually a character in High School Era Funky; did they reveal that she was a girl back then, or is this a retcon?

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Good thing he told me what comic strip they were in otherwise I might not have recognized the most famous newspaper comic ever.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

BlankIsBeautiful posted:

9 Chickweed Lane 3/30/2003

This from the guy who drew one of his characters impaled on a gaint thornbush.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Aardmania posted:

Pibgorn

Fun fact: The actor playing Romeo threw the exact same fit when he found out he got the part.

How long has this stupid Romeo & Juliette thing been going on for? Because it feels like forever.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Tiggum posted:

I guess greeting people who come in is supposed to be friendly or something, but it's annoying. I'm not here to make friends, I'm here to buy some poo poo I need and leave as quickly as possible with the absolute minimum of interaction with other people.
Hopefully I don't come off like defending Holbrook too much here, but you'd be amazed how much trouble you can get into if you work a sales floor and don't ask every customer if they need help. It might be different nowadays then when I was doing it years ago, but it was considered "good customer service" at the time because otherwise someone might have to wait!

And if everyone was on commission, then it was even worse.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

GorfZaplen posted:

Mandrake the Magician

So what percentage of Mandrake strips are just him showing people that he can, in fact, alter their perceptions or create illusions? Because I bet it's a lot.

I don't even mean in terms of fighting bad guys. I mean him just showing off for a week solid.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

root posted:

Between the good (the Creeps, Chief Dharma, Ham Shears, et al...) the bad (Luann, Cancerbean, Gilchrist) and the ugly (Brooke, Brooke, and Brooke) this really is the best thread. You guys have posted lots of great comics and hilarious edits.
You made me realize that nobody's posted Ham Shears in a while, so I went to GoComics to see what's been happening and

I must admit I didn't see that coming at all. :suspense:

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Wanamingo posted:

Nancy

Haha, oh my god those sideburns.
You have got to be loving kidding me.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Anybody mind if I keep posting Ham Shears? I don't remember who was posting it before.

Ham Shears

:3:

Also, have some The Dinette Set

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Ham Shears leaves us hanging.

And a double-shot chaser of The Dinette Set

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Pvt.Scott posted:

So it's like an alternate universe, confident nega-Jane? Or am I pulling a Boss here like in Hamshears. I mostly just enjoy the art in Jane's World so I haven't even tried to piece together what's going on in the sextuple flashback lezstravaganza.
No, it's just that a lot of people in Jane's World have the same head shape. The fifty concurrent plotlines and constant time-jumping don't help either.

Speaking of Ham Shears and the Boss...

The Dinette Set

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Tiggum posted:

Nancy

What? No. This is impossible.

Fritzi was Miss Jr. Three Rocks 1978

As much as I hate the whole stupid NOSTALGIA thing in Nancy, I love how this highlights just how much Phil's bulked up since he reappeared. It's not like it was even a slow progression or anything, was it? It was just old appearance to Slab Bulkhead overnight. Plus he gained like three feet of height.

coronatae posted:

I've said it in previous threads and I'll de-lurk to say it again: Dinette Set owns. It is full of disgusting deplorable people and if I wanted to explain the ugly and ignorant side of America to someone I would use this comic as the example. Always post it. It is amazing.
I'll admit I didn't like it when it was first posted way back when, but then when I realized it was a "laughing at" comic not a "laughing with" comic I realized how good it is.

The Dinette Set

Shouldn't that be "Prez sez"?

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

So the assumption here was that the guy who just escaped from prison and was on the lam managed to get an actual cane for his hurt leg and would have stopped somewhere to buy a toothbrush.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Ham Shears gets a song stuck in your head.

The Dinette Set gets into Retail territory.

Seriously, gently caress the "oh I know you close in three minutes and want to go home but I still wanna shop" types. I was lucky that for a long time I had a manager who'd actually kick people out at closing time.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Simian_Prime posted:

Well, this is a thing that exists... The Kevin & Kell RPG :stare:

...WHY?!?

http://www.amazon.com/Kevin-Kell-Roleplaying-Game-Jamie/dp/0976996006

Tiggum posted:

It's a good thing this is out of stock because otherwise I might have to fight the temptation to buy it just to see what it's like.
Someone needs to buy this and review it for the FATAL and Friends thread.

The Dinette Set

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Of course the uncle is a Cool Pastor who like classic rock and doesn't have a mean bone in his body. Good lord the wish fulfillment is actually getting worse here.

Anyway.

Ham Shears

That is the look of a man in deep emotional turmoil. :geno:

The Dinette Set

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Wikipedia posted:

Jason Crabb is a Christian music singer and musician.
Of course he loving is.

"It was then meant to be that we said, 'goodbye'!"? Who talks like that?

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The Dinette Set

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The Dinette Set

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Julet Esqu posted:

We never have been told exactly what Dag's life was before Christ (we know he is/was an addict), or what exactly he did to his mother (we know she still won't talk to him), but every once in a while Kevin Frank gives us a small hint. Compare this to Funky Winkerbean. I feel like the Dag character has so much more depth than any of Batiuk's characters with a tragic past that he's been spoonfeeding us all these years, and that Dag's story is much more affecting, too.
Well, there's also the fact that Dag is actually making an effort to rise above his terrible past and the mistakes he's made and better himself, whereas Batiuk's characters never try to (or are allowed to) move on. Les will never get over Lisa, nor will he every try. Funky is destined to have PTSD forever, support dog or no support dog. The mom will constantly be worried about her son deployed overseas. What's-her-face (John Darling's daughter) has come the closest to a happy ending, and that's just because she learned that her father, John Darling, was nice to her (which she seemed to already know), and she seems to conveniently forgotten that her father, John Darling, was an unrepentant rear end in a top hat to everyone else he ever crossed paths with.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Midnight Moth posted:

Good news everyone! Gil is being revived as a Sunday-only comic carried by one paper, the Providence Journal, and Norm Feuti's apparent masochistic willingness to work for the paltry wages that come with that. Well, it worked for Kevin and Kell for umpteen years so why not.

Another reason to be proud of my home state.

We've produced Family Guy, Retail, Gil, and 38 Studios. We're on a roll!

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

BlankIsBeautiful posted:

Zits is just teens_ignore_crap.jpg

Actually, isn't it pretty much common knowledge that the SATs are pretty worthless because they don't test actual knowledge? The only thing the SATs test is your ability to prepare for and take the SATs.

Ham Shears almost has two storylines intersect.

The Dinette Set understands the power of good marketing.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Cosima posted:

Lynn was actually insane, she brought up pretty early into the discussion the fact that her husband cheated on her. Also, in reference to the question "what would you have done differently with your strip if you could do it again" she said she would have killed off John "in a funny way". Jesus christ lady.
This is the most perfect thing. The only way it could have been better was if she brought up throwing her kid in the snow or eating over the sink.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Cosima posted:

Actually the moderator brought up how in the strip she was pretty hard on her kids, especially Liz (is she harder on Liz than the others? I'm not sure). Anyways, Lynn kind of just smiled and nodded slowly in acknowledgement.
How many awkward silences were there after Lynn's answers?

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The Dinette Set

I missed it in the theaters too. :(

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Actually, now you mention it, when did Gilchrist take over? Was it a sudden tonal shift with his first comic, or was it a slow change into the current shmaltzy strip we know and love?

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Well, if Gilchrist is only pandering to his intended audience, he's got a PhD in knowing what they want.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

EasyEW posted:

Exactly. The initial shift was from Jerry Scott's drastic redesign back to something with at least a surface resemblance to "golden age" Bushmiller. We're in the middle of Guy's real whiplash change, the one where out of nowhere he started reaching for unearned emotional resonance by telling extended stories about these wind-up punchline machines.
Actually, I think Nancy herself is the only character who hasn't had some weird heartstring-tugging backstory bolted on.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

EasyEW posted:

Well, Nancy's technically an orphan, so there are either a couple of dead or severely absentee parents in her past.

I'm sure he's saving that storyline for a special occasion.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Allen Wren posted:

He already did it, the father-daughter day plotline from a couple months ago.

Did that storyline actually talk about what happened to Nancy's parents, though? I remember it being "I'm sad about not having parents to bring to the family picnic wait I'll bring Aunt Friti PROBLEM SOLVED".

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Midnight Moth posted:

Retail

The sales people in this store are all remarkably bad at sales-ing.
Add-on sales were the loving worst. Especially since management tracks those numbers and honestly thinks people will just buy anything if you bug them enough. Amazingly, they will not.

Ham Shears shows that Boss has the soul of a poet.

The Dinette Set refuses to believe the government's lies.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

EasyEW posted:

Funky Winkerbean

This is going to wind up being a dream sequence or something from the point where he fell asleep on the treadmill.

Because falling asleep while running on a treadmill is a thing that can happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The Dinette Set

The FDA approved medical history chips back in 2004, but I guess a lot of sites were reporting it as new news back in October. So nice to see TDS being timely!

• Locked thread