Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Here are some of my edits from last year.

Inspired by FactsAreUseless' wonderful Spider-Man edits.

Here are a short set of edits about pizza.

(Aardmania)

(Me)

Here are edits I enjoyed by other people

(DeepDickPizza)

(Forktoss)

(Ghostlight)

(Carl the Shivan)

(Jack MacAskill, who we miss very much)

(Kennel)

(Magic Hate Ball)

(Mustache Villainy)

(scarycave)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Heathcliff
Heathcliff is the best cat in comics. He beats up dogs, makes mice worship him, steals fish and meat effortlessly. The strip is kind of low-effort and ends up being very surreal as a result. I look forward to Garbage Ape 2014.

Mandrake the Magician
Mandrake the Magician was created in 1934 by Lee Falk, who also created The Phantom. Long-time Mandrake artist Fred Fredericks retired last year in the middle of a story about aliens masquerading as a fat Asian man. The syndicate has been doing re-runs ever since. The muddled faces and incoherent stories of the later Fredericks years have been replaced with cleaner linework and the tersest, manliest dialogue in comics. Previous stories include the origin of Mandrake, Mandrake's brother Luciphor...known as Cobra breaking out of prison, getting haircuts and wearing Groucho Marx glasses in (successful) attempts at evading the law. Right now we're in the middle of a story about Mandrake and his friend Lothar fighting against a frog alien from outer space..."Way out." The Frogman is the winner of the 2013 Award for Best Comeback.

Marmaduke
Marmaduke is a big dog. Sometimes I edit them, lately I've been too lazy to do it. Marmaduke has been done by artist Brad Anderson since it began in 1954, which is pretty impressive in its own right.

The Phantom
Lord of the Jungle, the hero who stalks,
The beasts call him brother, the ghost who walks!
Phantom!

Comics Kingdoms puts it really well: The Phantom is a classic comic strip about a masked superhero with a patriarchal birthright to restore justice in the most dangerous parts of the world. The Phantom lives in the jungle nation of Bangalla with the Bandar tribe alongside his wife and children, just like the previous 23 Phantoms. The Phantom, created by Lee Falk who also created Mandrake the Magician is currently being written by Tony DePaul and drawn M-Sat by Paul Ryan and on Sundays by Terry Beatty. Sunday installments are a separate storyline than weekdays. The current weekly storyline is about some rear end in a top hat who is taking advantage of a reporter in order to find the secret Bandar treasure that he thinks exists. The current Sunday storyline is about the fifth Phantom's wife, apparently.

Pickles
Pickles, by Brian Crane, is about the retirees Earl and Opal. Earl is an old man who enjoys doing grandpa things like messing with his grandson's head and telling bad jokes. Opal enjoys messing with Earl and being a grandma. Their grandson Nelson often appears, and sometimes their daughter Sylvia also shows up. I haven't seen Sylvia's husband Dan show up in awhile, but he exists. In 2013 it won the Reuben award.

The Amazing Spider-Man
The Amazing Spider-Man is still written by Stan Lee, which is probably why it's so insane.

2013 was a big year for our Webslinger: he was almost crushed by an elephant in Las Vegas, hitched a ride to San Francisco where he was beat up by Daredevil, was tricked into drinking milk, got hit by a falling pipe, and fought against Kingpin. He then headed to South America by getting on a plane while in his suit because his ticket was stolen. He got past the gates by calling up his good friend Barack Obama. He then proceeded to deal with a bratty kid, giving us this gem of a strip:

He then fought alongside Tarantula (who made an appearance by jumping out of a burning truck) to free the country of Costa Verde from the vicious dictator El Condor. Now he's finally back in New York, where JJJ has put out headlines claiming that the Spidey getting off the plane isn't really Spidey, and now he's using an old Iron Man suit to track the heartbeat of our hero in order to point him out. Of course, since this is newspaper Spider-Man, instead of leaving like anyone who doesn't have brick-induced brain damage would do, he's instead decided to...

:cripes:

I'm currently posting Spider-Man in place of Julet Esqu, who is out for the holidays.

Sunday Rip Haywire
On Sundays, Rip Haywire runs pages from the Rip Haywire graphic novel, Rip Haywire and the Curse of Tangaroa. So far we've learned a little bit about Rip's childhood and relationship with his mother, how he first met Cobra, and now he's unleashed an ancient wizard ghost.

Classic Prince Valiant

I'm posting the original Prince Valiant from the beginning. It's a very good and very badass comic. Right now, Val is the squire of Sir Gawain, and is single-handedly trying to take back a castle from a man known as The Ogre. Fighting fear with fear, Val has dressed up as a demon. This sequence inspired the design of Etrigan the Demon.

The first story about Val as a child and his first quest with Sir Gawain can be found here.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

RandomPauI posted:

Who is or was Jack MacAskill?

A poster who made many funny edits and posted some good comics who vanished around summer of last year.

FactsAreUseless posted:

Hey, this edit wasn't me. I'm not sure who it was, but all my Spider-Man edits are text-only and not animated.

Edit: I also no longer have any of my Spider-Man edits, so if anyone has those, feel free to post them.

I knew saving these would become useful one day.

That's all I have.

e: I lied

Some misc edits of yours:

e2: Christ, that's a lot of edits. Should I timg? What do you think, thread?

GorfZaplen fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Jan 2, 2014

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

Juliet Jones (1956-10-08). I hear there's a medicated shampoo for that.

I love this goddamned strip and I wish I could remember who began posting it in the last thread; someone with a Ham Shears avatar, maybe? The Heart of Juliet Jones is a vintage King Features soap opera strip by Stan Drake with amazing naturalistic artwork. The main characters are the sensible Juliet Jones, her flighty sister Eve, and their elderly father. The characters above are none of these, both being newcomers to the town of Devon, where JJ is set. Carrol is a new clerk at Mr Jones', and his wife is helping Juliet out at her hat store.

Juliet Jones was posted by Julet Esqu, who should be returning in about a week or so.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Heathcliff

Mandrake the Magician

:aaaaa:

Marmaduke

The Phantom

Pickles

The Amazing Spider-Man

Classic Prince Valiant

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Aardmania posted:

Dick Tracy

:woop: Tracy gives us a late Christmas present!

:allears: Happy 2014, everybody!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2H5uWRjFsGc

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

goatface posted:

Needs a train.

Does anybody still have the link to the site with the animated train comic that has Sabre Dance playing in the background?

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Thank you. :allears:

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

FactsAreUseless posted:

Mr. B The Heartbeat Man Saves The Day

I love these, but you probably knew that already. :allears:

Heathcliff

It looks like Heathcliff has reached a point where he cannot live without the mice. He knows that without their forced adulation and service, his ego would wither and die. His owner is catching on.

Mandrake the Magician

Honestly, I actually like this plot twist.

Marmaduke

The Phantom

Pickles

The Amazing Spider-Man

Oh, Spidey. Even Ziggy catches more breaks than you. :allears:

Classic Prince Valiant

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

:haw:

Heathcliff

Mandrake the Magician

I won't be posting Marmaduke for awhile since I want to cut down on the number of comics I post.

The Phantom

Pickles

:barf:

The Amazing Spider-Man

Classic Prince Valiant

Holy poo poo.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Heathcliff

The Phantom

I feel like we're missing something here.

Pickles

The Amazing Spider-man

Sunday Rip Haywire

Prince Valiant

Classic Prince Valiant

I think this is the first guy to actually give Val a challenge!

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

I forget, what happened to Väinämöinen? Did it end or has it just not been posted?

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Heathcliff

Mandrake the Magician

The Phantom

Pickles

The Amazing Spider-Man

Classic Prince Valiant

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

There's something very Lovecraftian about this but I can't put my finger on it.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Midnight Moth posted:

Dustin

I should hope lawyers use proper spelling and punctuation.

I'm really sure that Dustin has made this exact joke before, only it was to his sister.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Heathcliff

Mandrake the Magician

The Phantom

Pickles

The Amazing Spider-Man

Classic Prince Valiant

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Foxy Grandpa is great. :allears:

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Heathcliff

Mandrake the Magician

The Phantom

Pickles

The Amazing Spider-Man

Classic Prince Valiant

That's the end of The Ogre, folks! Tomorrow we begin The Fairy Morgana. Here's the link for the full story in case you're coming in late.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Heathcliff

Mandrake the Magician

The Phantom

Pickles

The Amazing Spider-Man

Classic Prince Valiant
The Fairy Morgana

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Heathcliff

Mandrake the Magician

The Phantom

They figured it out right away anyway, you doofus.

Pickles

The Amazing Spider-Man

Oh Peter :allears:

Classic Prince Valiant

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Heathcliff

Mandrake the Magician

The Phantom

Pickles

The Amazing Spider-man

Classic Prince Valiant

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Heathcliff

The Phantom

Pickles

The Amazing Spider-Man

Prince Valiant

Classic Prince Valiant

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Heathcliff

Mandrake the Magician

The Phantom

Pickles

The Amazing Spider-Man

Sunday Rip Haywire

Classic Prince Valiant

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Heathcliff

Mandrake the Magician

The Phantom

Pickles

The Amazing Spider-Man

Classic Prince Valiant

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

I'm still not convinced the dog isn't going to disappear at the end of the week.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Blondie

Elmo knows they're in a zombie strip.

Heathcliff

Mandrake the Magician

The Phantom

Pickles

The Amazing Spider-Man

:allears:

Classic Prince Valiant

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Heathcliff

Mandrake the Magician

The Phantom

Pickles

The Amazing Spider-Man

Classic Prince Valiant

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Drakyn posted:

Don't forget the sentences.... many ellipses. Missing words, too? Happens often...

One of the first things we saw him do in the strip since the threads started carrying it was deliberately make his boss look like a dunce in a conference call when it would've taken literally no effort to bail her out. He was then shocked and surprised when this entirely rational stratagem backfired and made her dislike him more.
I repeat: he's a less loyal and competent Smithers. There is nothing else there. You can despise everyone else in the strip for being the awful people that they are without trying to martyr one of the strip's nastier characters on the altar of their dislike.

Is there even a reason anymore or is this just what happens at random now?

Ray Price died the 16th of December last year, according to Google.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Heathcliff

Mandrake the Magician

The Phantom

Pickles

Classic Prince Valiant

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Heathcliff

Mandrake the Magician

:allears: Oh, Lothar.

The Phantom

Pickles

Classic Prince Valiant

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Jesus, how did the Retail thread fail? You people can't stop talking about it.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

:stare:

Holy poo poo.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Heathcliff

The Phantom

Pickles

Sunday Rip Haywire

Classic Prince Valiant

:(

That's it for The Fairy Morgana, which can be read from the beginning here. Tomorrow begins Prince Arn, another short arc.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Heathcliff

Mandrake the Magician

The Phantom

Pickles

Classic Prince Valiant

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Heathcliff

Mandrake the Magician

Now you're just being petty.

The Phantom

Pickles

Classic Prince Valiant

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Heathcliff

Mandrake the Magician

If the Atom Bomb is only "puny" and "noisy" to you, I'm pretty sure you could take over the Earth with little effort.

The Phantom

Pickles

Classic Prince Valiant

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

I didn't notice it until Really Pants' comment, but the date on that is still 2013.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Heathcliff

Mandrake the Magician

This has wrapped around to amazing again :allears:

The Phantom

Pickles

Classic Prince Valiant

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Gilchrist should have chosen a song that doesn't have creepy subtext.

quote:

The lyrics in this duet are designed to be heard as a conversation between two people, marked as "mouse" and "wolf" on the printed score; they have returned to the "wolf's" home after a date, and the "mouse" decides it is time to go home, but the "wolf" flirtatiously invites her to stay as it is late and "it's cold outside."[3] Every line in the song features a statement from the "mouse" followed by a response from the "wolf". Usually the "wolf" part is sung by a male and the "mouse" by a female.

Criticisms of the song stem from a reading of the lyrics not as the "mouse" wanting to stay and only putting up a token protest for the sake of appearance as supported by lyrics such as "The neighbors might think...", "My father will be pacing the floor", but instead as the "mouse" genuinely wanting to leave but being stopped by the "wolf" being coercive in his pleading with the mouse. Examples of questionable lyrics in this regard include, "I simply must go", "The answer is no", "I've got to go home".[4] There is also the line "Hey, what's in this drink", which with current interpretation could be taken to sound suspiciously like the "mouse" has been drugged.[5][6][7] Many movies, at the time the song was written, used a similar line to refer to someone behaving in a different manner than they expected and blaming it on the alcohol.[8]

Even as a kid I thought this song was skeevy as hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Heathcliff

Mandrake the Magician

The Phantom

Pickles

Classic Prince Valiant

• Locked thread