Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

EasyEW posted:

Skippy (October 4-6, 1926)

Not to distract from the ongoing discussion about sending kids for groceries, but are there any public schools that still give out marks for attitude attributes?

Sure. Not generalized "deportment" grades, but my daughter (2nd grade) gets ratings on her report card for how she's doing with listening to directions, cooperating with others, staying on task, and various other socialization-related skills.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Wanamingo posted:

Lost Side of Suburbia

If Ben and Jerry's isn't already working on Cherry Pratchett's Discwhirl flavor, they should be.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Code Jockey posted:

Oh god, Chris Muir is still doing comics?

I haven't thought about that name in a long time, since I tore myself away from the political cartoons thread.

Oh, Muir's strips are still the high point of the day in the political cartoons thread.

(chuckles lightly, then abruptly breaks into racking sobs)

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Get flowers and a card -- one that you actually spend some time thinking about, not just the first one you grab off the rack. Maybe candy if you think she'd like it. And stop being such a loving drama queen, it's not attractive.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

BlankIsBeautiful posted:

Heavenly Nostrils

Of course Unicorn snot would be glitter! :v:

She DOES have heavenly nostrils...

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Magic Hate Ball posted:

This needs to be blown up and hung in the MoMA.

Ceci n'est pas une PIPE.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Pvt.Scott posted:

I have never once in my life desired to nor had at hand the materials necessary to put on a minstrel show. They just had that poo poo laying around. That's impressive.

Honestly, what DO you need besides shoe polish (or a burnt cork), a gaudy suit, a banjo, and no sense of shame?

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Tiggum posted:

Ravine? That looks like it's maybe a foot deep. Just walk across.

Give it to Max and throw HIM across. There's plenty of snow, he'll land safely.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Tiggum posted:

Adam@Home

This is pretty much the platonic form of "a comic strip about video games by someone who's never played one".

A couple pages back, but I just realized: a video game where you go around beating up people for committing minor social annoyances? It's Everett True: The Game.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

:doh: Lester seems to think he's some kind of pun wizard but this is just feeble.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

AxeManiac posted:

Wonder if anyone watched Sesame Street

Electric Company, I think you'll find. :colbert:

Darthemed posted:

In The Sticks goes where no other comic dares. It is entirely about golf.

Not quite. In the Sticks was originally a golf comic ... and then it suddenly turned to right-wing political ranting.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

Remember, Juliet is FOURTEEN.

:barf:

Just imagine someone actually trying to stage a production of R&J where Juliet spends almost all the play in a slip, striking sexy poses.

Midnight Moth posted:

Dustin

Wow, I think Steve Kelley found his muse.

No one tell Kelley about Wendy's ciabatta burgers or we'll have another loving week of this.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Kammat posted:

Modesty Blaise

:nws: http://i.imgur.com/JYvwW6C.jpg :nws:

:nws: http://i.imgur.com/VahaXJA.jpg :nws:

I believe that's it for any linking that needs done for the story. Rest assured Willie still has not found his shirt.

So the native's name is Nauga? She's certainly showing a lot of Nauga hide. :heysexy:

Incidentally, I dreamed about reading Rip Kirby last night. This thread is eating my brain.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

BlankIsBeautiful posted:

9 Chickweed Lane 3/16/2003

It's weird that you can't see Juliette's mouth in any of the panels. It's like she's got her mouth wrapped around the phone or something.

It's also weird that, you know, Amos is suddenly macking on his girlfriend's mother.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Midnight Moth posted:

Don't know why that's such a shock. Safe Havens is only a few years younger and Kevin and Kell has been going on since 1995. Holbrook has been doing 3 strips a day for close to twenty years now.

I have to wonder if Holbrook qualifies as the most prolific comic strip creator; three daily strips for 20-30 years apiece has got to put him up there. As far as I know, he (unlike the Walker-Browne Comic Strip Factory) doesn't have a platoon of assistants doing the work for him.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

BlankIsBeautiful posted:

Yep, that K&K character. I don't think we've seen that one before.

*sigh* Decisions, decisions. Is the pleasure of providing information greater than the shame of admitting I actually know poo poo about Kevin & Kell?

oh what the heck. That's Francis, the only human in the K&K-verse. His mother was actually a human from our world who got transported to FurryWorld or whatever they call it, where she was transformed into a rabbit, married a fox, and they had a human baby. And yes, none of this makes a lick of sense, please stop thinking about it.

To be fair to Holbrook, having a human stand in for a chimpanzee is kind of clever.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Howard Beale posted:

Nothing says good comic writing like using other artists' copyrighted characters to justify your lovely Boomer-centric revisionism. Eat ten dicks, Gilchrist.

Didn't we JUST have every character in the comics (well, every character created before 1990) showing up for Nancy's "birthday" last year? Are we going to go through all that again? Someone hold me, I'm scared.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Green Intern posted:

Don't tell anyone that Oil Tycoon tried to kill you: just wordlessly scrabble at his feet! A brilliant plan!

I'm more amused that Ben, who has a freaking bullet wound in his hand, is just casually leaning around and no one seems to be bothering to treat it.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

tiistai posted:

Throw your coat over it or something. Or pour it all in the mouse hole, I'm sure it'll be fine.

I'm guessing using the dish/sconce the candle is in to cover the beaker.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Roland Jones posted:

I rag on Holbrook a lot, but honestly, given that he's been writing three strips a day for over a decade and two of them for over two (I think, can't be bothered to check for specifics), it honestly isn't too surprising that they frequently dip into incoherence.

I'm kind of curious how much he makes for that sort of thing, really. I mean, with that much time one could theoretically have quite a fanbase, but on the other hand these kind of comic strips tend to not exactly be lucrative, as far as I know.

On the Fastrack has been around for, gulp, 30 years, Safe Havens for 25, and Kevin and Kell is the baby of the Holbrook family at 19.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

GorfZaplen posted:

Mandrake the Magician

First Brett, and now Rathbone. Are we going to get characters named Downey and Cumberbatch next?

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Mr. Squishy posted:

Here the subversion is reserved until the final sentence, an advanced level-joke. You think that she is advocating honourable matrimony, but instead Momma is shown to be an ice-cold gold digger. Have we ever seen the father, the "Pappa"? Mr. Big might know.

The father is dead, so clearly Momma bumped him off for all of the aforementioned bank account.

They occasionally do a strip with him looking down on Momma from heaven, and she has a picture of him at her bedside and talks to it about how rotten and ungrateful their kids are.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Some Guy TT posted:

I thought the guy had liver disease because he was an alcoholic and wasn't going to stop just because booze was literally killing him.

I think the suggestion is that the liver disease gave the murderer an excuse to avoid drinking with the victim ... but there's no evidence the other two had a drink with the victim either, is there? Gah. Encyclopedia Brown was never this stupid.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Ghostlight posted:

Being a colourist seems like it would be super easy.

I guess they thought a big red splash of blood would be too much for the delicate sensibilities of the comic-strip-reading public.

Also, Prom Makeup Luann in the second panel looks all kinds of weird.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Pvt.Scott posted:

That is Priceless could be good depending on how snarky the captions get. Would it kill the guy to MSPaint in a phone or something, though?

As for sports joke, I have no idea, but my guess is the player is a lanky dude with a first name that starts with a K and his last name is pronounced Rah-Tay or something.

It's Chris Sale of the White Sox. I'm guessing the joke is based on the fact that K is baseball shorthand for a strikeout. Maybe Sale gets K's at a high rate? I don't even know.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Midnight Moth posted:

Slylock Fox

That's not Airforce One, and it's flying awfully close to the White House! Ahh!!! Only you can save the capitol Slylock!

There is no U.S. Mint in DC. The Bureau of Engraving and Printing in DC does make paper money, but they don't make coins.

Besides, the gorilla is clearly the most suspicious of the three anyway. Those low-hanging pants and sideways baseball cap scream "thug."

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

We're approaching the double suicide that gives the play its tragic climax. But never mind that, have some cheesecake.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Julet Esqu posted:

Apartment 3-G

Frank Bolle: reads script indicating Tommie is filthy and exhausted from mucking out stables all day

Frank Bolle: draws Tommie exactly the same way she was in the morning

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Green Intern posted:

Where do those trapezes keep coming from :argh:

Trapeze Hut. Or Crazy Larry's Discount Trapeze World.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Green Intern posted:

So, is Wilbur's new forever-wife going to take the job without even thinking of her son, then wondering why the guy can't get work?

Either that, or she'll push him to take the job and he'll decline it because he's an arrogant useless slacker like all the kids these days.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

GorfZaplen posted:

I actually yelled "AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA" at my computer because of this one. Of loving course his step-dad is an atheist.

You too, huh?

All the gently caress you forever, Gilchrist.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

BlankIsBeautiful posted:

Kevin & Kell

God can this story be over? It's just hopelessly stupid at this point, William. Yeah, I know the whole species has characteristic thing, but still.

Don't male lions basically just lie around and let the females do most of the hunting anyway? You'd think Frank would be built like William Shatner by now.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Johnny Walker posted:

Mary Worth

You can do other, exciting things besides the janitor stuff, like making sandwiches, or cashier duty!

Ha ha! Look at that wacky kid who doesn't understand that you work at a job! Kids these days, amirite?

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Wanamingo posted:

Lost Side of Suburbia

I was wondering if the typewriting cockroach earlier was an archy and mehitabel reference. Nice to see it confirmed.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Mister Olympus posted:

That and they all speak with an accent (and speak much more naturally). The schoolmarm/cowboy thing I get because she probably moved out west, but the children series all seem to have everyone from the same city.

The posing I'd probably chock up to standards for decorum or just plain uncomfortable clothing, but the dialogue baffles me more.

I think it's probably just that girls were supposed to be cultured and refined and speak properly, while boys could run wild and use slang and be much less articulate.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Probably Magic posted:

My guess is Ralph from Mouse on a Motorcycle, but I may be wrong. Stuart Little? But he wasn't very adventurous or action-filled in his actual book.

Miss Bianca from The Rescuers? Can't really tell gender from that picture.

The rat in the purple coat could be Ratty from The Wind in the Willows, since we've already got Mr. Toad involved.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Is it just me, or does Wish's expression in the last panel suggest he is not exactly shocked at this turn of events? If you want to abandon civilization, burning your ship behind you is a good way to make sure....

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Wanamingo posted:

There's apparently a new thing at GoComics called Random Acts of Nancy, where each day it's just a single, out of context vintage Nancy panel.

Can't say I'm a fan.

I might like it better if the panels weren't a) printed with big color dots that make them look like knockoff Roy Lichtensteins and b) another example of Gilchrist taking advantage of Ernie Bushmiller's legacy.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Professor Wayne posted:

I think I hate Mike du Jour more than any other comic, including Chickweed Lane and that terrible space detective comic with art as lifeless as 3d model poser comics. You know the one I'm talking about.

Off all things to rip off, Lester goes for SNL's Sarsgaard SARS Guard sketch. I like how he didn't even attempt to make draw Skarsgard. Aren't political cartoonist supposed to be good at caricatures?

So not only is it a feeble attempt at doing a Pastis-style shaggy dog pun, it's not even original? I didn't believe I could think less of Lester, but here we are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Julet Esqu posted:

Luann

That first panel. Yeesh. It's time for Quill to cut Luann loose and start looking around for some drama chick at Moony U. I heard Tiff is planning to go there.

Just to recap, we have now spent the entire week with Luann being a titanic bitch because she apparently has the female equivalent of blue balls. I'd check and make sure that Brooke isn't guest-writing, but there aren't enough ten-dollar words scattered around.

• Locked thread