Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
Fok_it by Joonas Rinta-Kanto is a Finnish strip where talking heads and a variety of power animals talk about more or less bizarre things.

(Oct 22, 2012)

Practically the only recurring characters are the animals, many of them related to specific weekdays. With a hurrah or a few, Twinklemuzzle the unicorn tirelessly brings cheer to the gloomy Mondays especially for those tired after a hard weekend of partying, such as for the beer-loving Friday Penguin.

(Feb 11, 2013)

The latest addition to the power animal roster is Conspiracy Frog, wearing his tinfoil hat and reminding everyone that things are never as they seem. Open your eyes. Since his debut he's been the one with the most screentime, so I suspect he might just be the author's favorite.

(May 22, 2013)

The first Wednesday of the year calls for an appearance by Wednesday Crocodile. He (or she?) is sometimes seen hanging around (or suffering from hangover) with Penguin.

(Jan 1, 2014)

By the way, there was no Fingerpori today, and I was hoping someone else would do the honors of introducing it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
Fok_it

There's a lot of onomatopoeic words in Finnish. For some reason, the language just easily affords them - to the point that you could pretty much make up words of your own and the chances are you'd still get understood. They can be problematic to translate, especially when the local words for shivering, shuddering, fluttering and whatnot can also be interpreted as various kinds of intuition or foreboding.

So I ignored it and went for a lame Facebook pun instead.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
Fingerpori

Pool? Tank? Basin? Whatever.

There might be more than one garden hose in that, because thanks to the lack of articles Finnish gets away with saying "fill with garden hose".

tiistai fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Jan 3, 2014

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
Fok_it

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
Fok_it

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
Fingerpori

- It's a pity I can't ride my bicycle in the slippery winter...
- Sure you can, with studs!

The word for tyre studs is nastat, which also means thumbtacks or pins. Moreover, the adessive case (-lla) translates differently to English depending on where and how it's used: nastoilla can mean "with studs" (instrumental use) or "on tacks" (position, on top of something).

As an aside, it always feels a little weird to change the Finnish passive voice into active in English. It feels like they're too forward. I wish "one can't ride one's bicycle", "sure one can!" were normal speech.

tiistai fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Jan 4, 2014

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

Zereth posted:

"It's a pity (nonspecific)you can't ride a bicycle", maybe?

"It's a pity a bicycle can't be ridden", if you want to get technical. But yeah. I just don't like you-passive.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

GorfZaplen posted:

I forget, what happened to Väinämöinen? Did it end or has it just not been posted?

Pretty sure that wasn't nearly the last of it, it's just that the poster didn't have the rest of strips.

Fingerpori

- I'm starting up a beauty salon where you can get e.g. bikini waxings by burning!
- Still missing the name
- "Alakulo"

Yes, he literally says "waxings by burning". Obviously he just means hair removal, but burning? I guess that's a laser thing. What frightens me is that thing looks more like a soldering iron.

Anyway! Alakulo means melancholy, blue mood, that sort of thing. Slightly better than depressed. It's a compound word consisting of ala, a prefix form of "low", and kulo which probably used to have some kind of a meaning in old Finnish that relates to mood (if not outright meaning "mood"), but in modern language it mainly means a "forest fire". Wiktionary claims it's also "a dry, dead grass from previous summer" but I guess that's a regional thing since I never heard that one.

Fok_it

In keeping up with the tradition of ignoring the alliteration names for the power animals, I translated this straight. The nonsense makes up for the pun.

Epiphany is loppiainen, you see.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
No Fingerpori. :iiam:

Fok_it

Bat is lepakko.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
Fingerpori

- Hello sir please buy a CD drive
- Does it burn?
- It's certainly turning up the heat

Not exact but close enough for me to skip the Finnish lesson.

Fok_it

"Frickin' seriously" may not be as embarrassing as aikuisten oikeesti (adults' seriously) but that's the best I could come up with.

edit: oops

tiistai fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Jan 8, 2014

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

Hoover Dam posted:

"It's pretty hot" would work in English, since merchandise described as "hot" can mean it's been stolen.

Oh drat, right. I knew there was a better term or phrase than what I used but I just couldn't recall it. That's what it was.

Would've been even a pretty close translation, too.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
Fingerpori

- Did you see any Finnish NHL stars during your trip to America?
- Of course! Saku gave me an autograph. And Teemu, too!

Teemukin is the pun here. -kin is a suffix that translates well to "too", "as well" etc. On the other hand, teemuki means a "tea mug" (a rare case of a Finnish word being not incomprehensible to English :v:), with -n being the suffix for the accusative (object) case.

Not a very funny pun, as I remember making the same one when I was about 6 :v:

Also, if you're not familiar with the subject, Saku Koivu and Teemu Selänne are people referred to here.

tiistai fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Jan 9, 2014

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
Fok_it

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
Fingerpori

- Oh hi, Irma! I'm in some business training conference
[Our values]
[Objectives]
- Looks like we'll draw lots on our objectives now

-mme is the suffix for first-person plural, and like other personal suffixes it's used in most kinds of words where necessary: verbs, nouns, postpositions, some adverbs etc.

Arvo is "value", so arvomme is "our values". Arpoa is "to raffle, draw/cast lots, have a lottery" etc, also used in a figurative manner ("to pick randomly" or something to that effect), and arvomme (p->v) is "we draw lots".

Fok_it later today, I'm going to miss my bus otherwise

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
Fok_it

There was a pun here. It's gone now. Houkutuslintu, decoy, is literally "tempting bird".

It's called dropless January here, by the way.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
Fingerpori

- ÖÖRP
- 5.8 seconds
- It was nice to drink after so long / It was nice to time a long beer

Oh boy, this was clever. I'll first list what that phrase is literally: Oli mukava "it was nice", ottaa "to take", pitkästä "from/of [a] long", aikaa "time". "It was nice" works perfectly as a literal translation, so nothing to dissect there. Anyway, what Jarla did here was combine two different phrases.

Pitkästä aikaa, literally "since/from a long time", has only one equivalent English phrase that I can think of: "long time no see" which unlike the Finnish phrase only works as a greeting. I guess it could work also as something like "it's been so long since we last X" but that's pretty wordy. Ottaa, "to take", has some situational uses, but here it clearly means "to drink (alcohol)".

Ottaa aikaa, literally "to take time", means to time/clock, especially in a speed competition. Of what requires a word in elative case (-sta) and here it's pitkästä, "from a long". Pitkä on its own, "a long", in this context refers to a 0.5 liter beer as opposed to a beer served in a "shorter" glass which would be... something like 0.33-0.4 liters. Using long/short for the beer size distinction is a bit of an older tradition and nowadays the younger generations tend to use iso/pieni, big/small. Maybe because the glasses are the same.

tiistai fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Jan 12, 2014

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
Fingerpori

- I debated biology at university yesterday
- Refugees aren't any dumber than Finns!
- drat right they are!

"Debating" is what we call completing and defending your doctoral thesis. The oral examination part or something. Whatever.

Fok_it

It's kind of annoying when Fok_it does jokes as culturally specific as this. Nuutinpäivä, St. Knut's Day, is celebrated in Finland and Sweden on 13 January (20 days after Christmas) to mark the end of the Christmas Peace which used to be a period when crimes were punished particularly harshly.

A bit of etymology first. Joulupukki, Santa Claus, is actually literally translated as Christmas goat or "Yule buck", an old tradition that later got pretty much conflated with Santa Claus and eventually became the old guy in red robes we now know. The old name stayed, though.

Knut's day ends Christmas, though, so the young men and women of the days of old decided to dress up as gangs of nuuttipukki, "Knut buck", wearing horns, masks, furs turned inside out and whatnot. These anti-Santas went from house to house, demanding to be let in and have the house's leftover Christmas beer and food. Refusing was socially frowned upon and could bring down the wraths of the bucks, so you had to weigh having your stuff broken and getting hit with a piss-drenched wooden scepter or something against allowing a gaggle of drunkards inside your house. Entertaining them with some of your beer did reward you with songs and prayers for good harvest, so there's that. Nowadays in some parts of Finland little kids may dress up in weird clothes and ask politely for candy or whatever.

The deal with the seal pup? It's a kuutti. I suppose that counts as a pun.

The Finnish mark was used before we moved to the euro back in 2002. Some weird people still compare prices to what they were when we had marks while completely ignoring any changes in money value during the past 12 years.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

I forgot people would be reading these with the English pronounciation in mind, but man that's a nice coincidence :3:

A pair of Fok_its from the olden times that I forgot to post earlier

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
Fingerpori

Design forum:
- First I visualize the finished product, then the production process
- How does my course of action sound?
- Is that like a Finnish Action Man?

Toimintatapani is "my course of action". -ni is the "my" part. Toiminta is "action", and tapa is "custom/habit/manner/way of doing". However, Tapani is a male given name, and while technically Action Tapani would be written as "Toiminta-Tapani", they're of course pronounced the exact same.

Action Man is a non-American version of G.I. Joe, it seems.

Fok_it

"Subject to authorization" is Fok_it being Fok_it, I guess :v:

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
Fingerpori

Fok_it

tiistai fucked around with this message at 09:17 on Jan 16, 2014

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
Fingerpori

Rock climbing course:
(My vision is getting dark... I'm going to fall...)
- THIS IS DIZZYING!
- Yeah, isn't it?

Technically, huimaa just means "I feel dizzy". The reason I specifically wrote "dizzying" is because it (or rather huima, meaning "reckless") can be used as a positive adjective meaning something akin to "awesome", as in both awe-inspiring and excellent.

Fok_it

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
Fingerpori

Is this even a pun anymore

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
Fingerpori

Fok_it

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
Fingerpori

- I was evicted
- But now I have a new apartment in my binoculars

"I'm looking at a new apartment" or "I have a new apartment in mind", pretty much.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

Tunicate posted:

"I've got a new apartment in my sights" probably works better.

Yes, that's perfect. I shouldn't translate puns in the middle of the night.

Fok_it

Sosiaali- ja terveydenhuollon palvelurakenneuudistus, social and health care reform, is more commonly known as simply sote-uudistus. A part of the joke is lost in that this guy may not even know it has anything to do with health care.

As for what it's about, I can't explain it any simpler either.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
Fingerpori

- Welcome to the city, cousin Urpo! How are you?
- That grandma's chest of drawers, and the kitchen chairs

Mitä (sinulle) kuuluu? is a greeting that translates well into "how are you" and similar phrases, but literally it's more like "What is yours?" or "What belongs to you?"

Incidentally, the usual tired joke response to this phrase is "Anything spoken loud enough", because the question could also be interpreted as "What can you hear?" or "What reaches your ears?"

Finns aren't traditionally much for chit-chat, so while the correct stock answer is "Good, how are you?" don't be surprised if the person you asked actually answers honestly and starts telling you about how they've been lately. And then they don't ask back how you are out of respect for your privacy and because they're not particularly interested in knowing the details anyway. :v:

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

Hoover Dam posted:

"Hey, cousin Urpo! What's new with you?"
"That chest of drawers, and some chairs!"

I considered "What brings you here?" but that would be changing the joke!! :v:

Fok_it

:siren: PREVIOUSLY UNRELEASED FOOTAGE :siren:

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
Seems to me it's the frogmen who are being too salty here :downsrim:

Fingerpori

Close enough. Technically, in Finnish the sign could be read as "mattress inflatable with electricity", and the clerk was warning that "it's full of electricity!"

Fok_it reminds us that not all lives were created equal

Something I should have posted yesterday

And also this masterpiece

That random capitalized You was intentional. It's a politeness thing and actually sort of interesting but... later.

tiistai fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Jan 23, 2014

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
Fingerpori

Like his Wikipedia page can tell us, Sarasvuo is known for being a lecturer and motivational coach. Maybe there's someone more internationally famous I could've substituted him with in this strip, but clearly they're not famous enough because I couldn't remember anyone.

Fok_it

A minor crime-related pun or two were flattened in the translation, but that's all right.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

Presto posted:

Name a teenager that says "whom". Apart from Gunther I mean.

Seeing how she misused it, I saw it more like a dumb attempt at sounding sophisticated.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
Fingerpori

- I've won a trip to St. Peter's Basilica in Vatican for two!
- I would've gladly had a third one as well

"Let's go for one" is what Finns say when they want to invite someone for a beer. Or maybe two. Or three.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
Sad to hear about Morrie. :(

Wanamingo posted:

I'm going to be disappointed if the answer is anything except for the fact that lie detectors don't actually work.

The flat tire was in the trunk, clearly.

Fingerpori

It's funny because conscription is mandatory in Finland and the days of service left are counted as "mornings". Also yes, we do have a newspaper called Aamulehti, Morning Paper.

I love that other guy's reaction.

Fok_it

There was a rare puffin sighting last week. The Finnish name is lunni, so Frog's quip about him being a lurkki-lunni didn't really translate.

Finland's not in NATO, at least not yet. Some politicians are pushing it, but to my knowledge wanting NATO membership isn't a popular opinion.

tiistai fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Jan 27, 2014

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
Fingerpori

Fok_it

If there's no fast Internet in heaven, I might just as well go to hell.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

It's seen as absurd because it's not worth the cost and it'd bring down gold's value too. It's been done, though.

Fingerpori

- I had a terrible premonition in a dream

Heimo had an enneuni (enne premonition, uni dream) about Vesa Enne.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wMiNOX1zCWA

This stuff is way too old for me, took me a moment in google to figure out what the joke was about.

I realized the author himself spells Fok_It with a capital I, so I'll go with that henceforth.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
Fingerpori

Your speed
122 (km/h)
Slow down
- Really!
- It didn't seem that slow to me

hidas slow
hidastaa to slow down
hidasta slow down! (imperative)
hidasta slow (partitive (object)); "That's slow"

Fok_It

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

BlankIsBeautiful posted:

"Less"? I think she looks positively sinister now.

Took the words right out of my mouth

Fingerpori

- Of course it's nice that you got rid of your virginity
- But do you really have to advertise it that noticeably?

SaiPa is a Finnish ice hockey team. Saipa could be loosely translated as "got some after all", but it sounds kind of a stretch. Sai is the past form of saada, "to receive", and the explanation of -pa is better left to Wiktionary. tl;dr - in this case it would convey bragging/proudness.

Fok_It

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

RandomFerret posted:

Okay, he's definitely just making stuff up now.

In fact, I bet that's his whole trick. He's going to make more and more outlandish claims until she goes home to write a story about how everybody should stay out of the Deep Woods unless they want to run into a village of total jerks who will go to great lengths to mess with tourists.

I want to believe he went to Avalon and pried Excalibur from the Lady of the Lake's hands.

Really Pants posted:

Does "Office Hours" also mean "Battered Women" in Finnish or something?

Vastaanottoaika is literally "receiving time", so close enough

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

"Operator" and payphones? Which decade is this strip set in anyway?

Fingerpori

- The professional I ordered is here to help move the piano

Muuttaa is a nice verb. It means "to move" in the sense of moving/changing to another (semi-)permanent residence, mostly referring to a new home. It also means "to change/modify/turn/transform".

Plim plom is obviously the sound a doorbell makes.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
Fingerpori

- May I have a pack of filter coffee
- That good brand

merkki: brand, mark

also sign, character, symbol, make (as opposed to model), circumstance, badge, note, emblem, cue, omen and so on

edit: Whoops, almost forgot Fok_It

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

Dude, I was going to make the same thing yesterday but since there was no good shot of that guy I gave up. Should've paid attention to today's strip.

Thanks for saving me the effort though :3:

• Locked thread