Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

It's 2014. Newspapers are still foundering on the rocky shores of irrelevance, and comics are just another crew member strapped to the mast. :toot:

Here we post, discuss, praise, mock, and edit comic strips, from the dizzying highs of classics like Out Our Way and Everett True to the nadirs of Dustin and Nancy.

Rules
Post comics. Discuss comics. Don't leave bloodstains.

Ancestors
  1. For Better or for Worse, here we go again
  2. For Better or For Worse II, The Sun May Get in 56kers' Eyes
  3. For Better or For Worse III: Who need this?!?
  4. For Better or For Worse Megathread
  5. The Comic Strip Megathread: Luann's Funky For Better Minimum Security
  6. The Comic Strip Megathread V - Just Another Uneventful Lesbian Road Trip
  7. The Comic Strip Megathread V, Part 3 - Dick and Jane Go to the Goddamn Bank
  8. Comic Strip Megathread V, Part 4: Thalidomide Theater: Day of the Jackelrod
  9. Comic Strip Megathread Part Ten: Infections and Gams... FOR ME! BARB ELS!
  10. Comic Strip Megathread Part 11: drat that's a fine elephant.
  11. Comic Strip Megathread Part XII: Reply All is the best comic in this thread
  12. Comic Strip Megathread XIII: Still can't get over it!
  13. Comic Strip Megathread XIV: Happy After Death 2013!

Resources
Get comics:
Upload comics:
Edit comics:
Match fonts:

Exemplars

(My Lovely Horse)

(Lowtax)

(R Ubbish)

(R Ubbish)

(Cortex)

(Borden/Axemaniac)

And, finally, a moment of silence for those we lost in 2013
  • Cow & Boy
  • Gil

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

Other comic-relevant links: pastiches and parodies (via Tiggum)

The Lovely Ladies of Apartment 3-G
Son of Stuck Funky
Reynard Noir
Scott Meets Family Circus
Luann DeGroot on Twitter
The Garbage Ape on Twitter
J Jonah Jameson on Twitter

ChickenOfTomorrow fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Jan 4, 2014

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

It's.... it's right there in the OP.

R Ubbish knows I have a deep and abiding leurve for him. If "him" is the correct term for a homunculus created out of Nat Lamp back issues and efficiently-compressed gifs.

Today feels like a Sunday, so here's The Little King by Otto Soglow.

T. Little King was originally in The New Yorker, so it might work with the universal caption.

ChickenOfTomorrow fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Dec 31, 2013

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

Mister Beeg posted:

Geez, couldn't you wait until midnight or something?

Like Dustin's dad, I'm working in a different time zone so I can go to bed early.

Sally Forth

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

The ballad of Saint Michael, He Who Can Do No Wrong was followed in the earliest FBOFW threads/megathreads, which I've recently started rereading. Sadly, those threads suffer from three issues: first, you need to pay for archives; second, about 90% of the images in the threads are now broken; and finally, almost nobody bothered to post images anyway or even link to the strip in question, because humans are a fallible lot.

FBOFW is now in reruns, which is why the art style of the "some things aren't worth dying for" strip seems so different from those of the "current" strips. For a year or so of the reruns, Lynn used to "refresh" strips and add in occasional new ones, but I think the syndicate told her to knock it off. The strips may still be running in altered form - with dates changed and seatbelts added to the in-car scenes - but I don't know and it would be embarrassing to look it up. I used to think I liked FBOFW, but then I started actually reading it on a regular basis and changed my mind. It's a lot like Rose is Rose in that respect: familiarity breeds disgust.

Also, I put some effort into the OP and am a little saddened to find that apparently it didn't meet anyone else's requirements.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

Thanks. I'm bein' oversensitive 'cause of new years or something.

So, I post classics like Quincy and The Little King. Sometimes, though, vintage comics are terrible!

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

Turns out you picked a good time to pick up Rex Morgan, Urban Wizard! There's a new artist since Monday: Nolan's retiring, and Beatty has picked up the the job of inking a milquetoast general practitioner. Here's a blog post he made about it.

Beatty will continue drawing the Sunday Phantoms.

Mark Trail: any excuse for me to use the word "apiary."

Apartment 3G: I think the caption is being presumptuous calling them "friends."

Juliet Jones: modern apartments often lack a dedicated space for your legendary pitchers.

You'll have to excuse me now; as a result of that last pun I'm being bludgeoned with a rowing oar.

ChickenOfTomorrow fucked around with this message at 09:52 on Jan 1, 2014

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

Sad news, guys: I don't think there's going to be a crazy Kwanzaa storyline in Curtis this year.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

:neckbeard: he's still here!

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

GorfZaplen posted:

e2: Christ, that's a lot of edits. Should I timg? What do you think, thread?

Have you considered an imgur gallery? Like the one AxeManiac posted earlier. I find they're easy to curate and much simpler to refer back to than a big ol' post on some page of a thread but you can't remeber exactly when you made it...

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

Mark Trail. As the Comics Curmudgeon points out, Mark Trail has a strange relationship with perpsective-skewed giant hornets, so this is possibly what we in the humour word call a "reference" or "callback."

You'll notice the nature/soap-opera/drama strip Mark Trail has only one person's signature, the ominous Jackelrod. These days*, M Trail is largely assembled from recycled art, which gives it an eerie, unnatural quality and makes it a prime subject for edits. I post M Trail Monday through Saturday; I don't much care for the Sundays but I'll post them if they catch my fancy. An easy shorthand in M Trail is that anyone with facial hair (up to and including sideburns) is a villain and thus subject to Mark's fists of justice.
* or, arguably, since 1978 when Jackelrod became sole proprietor of the strip

Apartment 3G. Watch out! She's going for her gun!

Apartment 3G is a soap opera strip ostensibly focused on the lives of three young women who live in Apartment 3G. There's Margo, based on Joan Collins, who is a sociopath; Tommie, based on Lucille Ball, who has been absent from the strip for 6 months, in Italy; and Lu Ann, based on Tuesday Weld (whom I know only through her marriage to Russell Brand Arthur Dudley Moore), who most recently chose to take a phone call from an aquaintance with a tramatic brain injury rather than respond to an on-stage proposal of marriage from the state governor. But, really, it's more about Frank Bolle's reluctance to draw anything but medium close-up shots of white people in sensible 1950's clothing.

Juliet Jones (1956-10-08). I hear there's a medicated shampoo for that.

I love this goddamned strip and I wish I could remember who began posting it in the last thread; someone with a Ham Shears avatar, maybe? The Heart of Juliet Jones is a vintage King Features soap opera strip by Stan Drake with amazing naturalistic artwork. The main characters are the sensible Juliet Jones, her flighty sister Eve, and their elderly father. The characters above are none of these, both being newcomers to the town of Devon, where JJ is set. Carrol is a new clerk at Mr Jones', and his wife is helping Juliet out at her hat store.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

You have killed me. I am dead, and it is because you have killed me.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

Mark Trail: (DRESSES UP IN BEAR SUIT, PUNCHES WOMAN, SCREAMS ABOUT GOD-drat HONEY)

Apartment 3G: We're going to be subjected to an excruciating British pastiche for the next 6 months. This'll be just like that time Mary Worth's neighbour pretended to be a butler and his daughter slept on Mary's couch, but it turned out they were thieves.

Juliet Jones: I don't think I like this guy.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

Tiggum posted:

BTW, ChickenOfTomorrow, I thought of some stuff you might want to add to the OP.

TY, added to post #2 (the OP is way long now).

Mark Trail

No, Mark! The water has given you a criminal haircut! Whatever you do now will be monstrous and wrong!

Apartment 3G

Why is Tommie carrying around a picture of Harrods?

Juliet Jones

:drat:, that middle panel!

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

I think Vintage Hi and Lois is on break for a while, and I have no intention of taking it up myself, but I have to share this.

Vintage Hi and Lois, 1956-07-09:

I'm liking Beatty's work on Rex Morgan so far. He's bringing real life and movement to the characters, which is something they badly needed. The commenters on Comics Kingdom disagree with me, which made me unblock Disqus in order to post a supportive comment, then re-block it so I never have to see the comments again. Oh, and the Rex Morgan font is Comiccraft.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

Gilchrist's representation of himself here is about as accurate as Dobson's drawings of himself in SYAC.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

Quincy, October 30 - November 2, 1973

Best described as Skippy merged with Wee Pals, Ted Shearer's Quincy ran from 1970-86. I'm a fan of Quincy, of both its artwork and the grounded storytelling. Shearer quit a lucrative job at BBDO to draw Quincy, and he's a pioneer just like Morrie Turner.

ChickenOfTomorrow fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Jan 5, 2014

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

Juliet Jones Sunday.

drat, that's a fine donkey.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

mwdan posted:

Quincy looked familiar for some reason, so I googled Ted Shearer, and found out why.
Yeah, his son wrote Billy Jo Jive, and Ted did the artwork for it. I don't know how much input they had on the Sesame Street segments.

The Little King

There was a Little King cartoon; Thunderbean have a DVD of it. Any of the vintage cartoon buffs itt own a copy?

welp

ChickenOfTomorrow fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Jan 5, 2014

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

Mark Trail

2014's first Mark Trail Fist of Justice! :allears:

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

There's something very Lovecraftian about this but I can't put my finger on it.

Apartment 3G

More opportunitis for Bolle Original Dress Designs!

Juliet Jones

That's... a surprisingly detailed description, Mrs. Wyngate.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

Been down in the code mines, missed a day of comics.

Mark Trail

In which Mark Trail bastes the bad guy in order to increae his palatability to bears.

Apartment 3G

Of course! Man, the panacea.

Juliet Jones

Well, maybe he can eat these incorporation papers.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

She don't use jelly.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

We're having Barney and Clyde back again? I remember Megathread XIV near-universlly hated it.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

Mark Trail

Don't you call that bear a nobody, Mark!

Apartment 3G

Wow! Bolle's art is so evocative, you can really see the pain Lu Ann is going through.

Juliet Jones

Panel 2! Ha!

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

Poor Molly has an eating disorder. :(

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

Mark Trail

The bear is digging up the artefacts because it smells the maple syrup spilled on them! Oh my god.

Apartment 3G

They're not the wrong men, they're just drawn that way.

Juliet Jones

Lady, you don't need a rest, you need therapy.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

Breaking Bad is one of the best TV shows of the past few years, but sadly not everyone got to experience it at the same time it aired in the USA. As someone who was late to The Wire, I have sympathy for those who find spoilers in unconventional places; I still remember how I felt when I learned that Omar and Wallace go into space in the final episode.

Mark Trail
This is really worth viewing at full size.

Apartment 3G

Nope! She's a mess, too.

Juliet Jones

:ohdear:

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

The Little King

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

Juliet Jones

Still a drat fine donkey.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

M Trail

3G

J Jones

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

Mark Trail

I wish the bear had eaten them all.

Apartment 3G

I hope the new fiancee murders Tommie and all her roommates.

Juliet Jones
Temporarily lost my access to JJ. Sorry.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

The poster before me who was posting Mark Trail stopped suddenly, iirc due to depression. As soon as I picked up Mark Trail I found myself sinking into depression also. Mark Trail is a curse.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

And here are the Mark Trail strips I missed while I was having a 3-day anxiety attack:

Oh my goodness! Is it... happening?

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

Trent posted:

jesus, are they all like this?

GorfZaplen posted:

:stare:

Holy poo poo.

Command Ant posted:

I don't get it, where's the joke?

Office Hours can get pretty bad. This is the first one in a while that's made me think "I must post this to the thread," though.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

Stultus Maximus posted:

Wait, that isn't a modern joke caption? :psyboom:

Nope, it's a vintage comic - that one's from 1965-10-28.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

Mark Trail, Sunday.

Juliet Jones, Sunday.

Still a fine donkey.

[IMG-mad-about-hats avatar]

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012