Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Leave the house for a few hours and everything moves down the street...

Skippy was created for the first version of Life Magazine by Percy Crosby and migrated to the newspaper in 1925. Jerry Robinson: "Nothing like Skippy had ever been seen before in the comic strips. It was not just Skippy’s expert draftsmanship or remarkable flair, although that artistry earned its creator a reputation as ‘the cartoonist’s cartoonist’… The brilliance of Skippy was that here was fantasy with a realistic base, the first kid cartoon with a definable and complex personality grounded in daily life." And then the peanut butter people showed up and it all went straight to Hell. (July 19-21, 1926)

Out Our Way by J.R. Williams, was a long-running bit of 1920s small town observational whimsy which really caught on during the last thread. I blame crossing guards and BOYZENDORGS. But even the things we love aren't untouchable...

(Ulfhednar)

Peanuts: Charles Schulz. A group of kids. A dog with an overactive fantasy life. After years of hit and run posting, the eternal rerun machine came around to 1966 this year (World War I flying ace! Peppermint Patty!), which seemed like a great place to jump in for the long run.

(Hamiltonian Bicycle)

According to the publicity material, Tom Batiuk's Funky Winkerbean is "a reality-based comic strip that depicts contemporary issues affecting young adults in a thought-provoking and sensitive manner." According to the experience of reading it, Funky Winkerbean is a place where joy is a temporary illusion of the young, and eventually you'll age into the dead-eyed walking wounded just like your parents. It fell off our radar for awhile, but we are all sinners born to suffer, so here it is again.

(me, just for the variety of it)

Popeye: The contractually-mandated continuing story of Elzie Segar's musclebound, spinach eating corporate trademark and his aggressively needy army of friends and family. The dailies are repeats from Bud Sagendorf, while for Sundays we've moved on to the much less exploited tenure of Bela Zaboly (art) and Tom Sims (script).

(Depressing Box)

Walt Kelly's Pogo is the tale of various swamp critters and a thick swamp talk that makes some people's eyes just slide down the screen.

Rip Haywire is the tale of a two-fisted man of action! The American newspaper market being what it is these days, that means it's a comedy! Not everybody was feeling this one at the start of the year, but then Rip ran into a giddy red-headed chopper pilot (Breezy :allears:) and suddenly we were in love all over again.

Two months ago, we found out that Cow & Boy (Or "Li'l Xavier and The Floating Death Head", if you like) was coming to a close at the end of 2013. That happened today, so you won't have to worry about it anymore, but you can't say this strip didn't die as it lived.

EasyEW fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Jan 1, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Our stories so far...

In Peanuts, Linus is getting a measles shot. Jenny McCarthy hadn't been born yet when this was written, and thus could not be consulted. (January 4, 1967)

Funky Winkerbean set a plate for a soldier who's apparently decided she'd rather not spend leave time with her family.

Popeye is dealing with an old family spectre.

Rip Haywire is now a lantern-jawed small town sheriff, since the old one was too corruptible (and too easy to punch, which is how power transfers take place in this strip).

Pogo is running for president again, whether he knows it yet or not, but it looks like the bats are developing their own agenda. (January 4, 1956)

Out Our Way doesn't have a story line, but boy, is that one ugly mugger. (February 29 and March 1, 1924)

EasyEW fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Jan 1, 2014

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

Skippy (July 22-24, 1926)

Just to wind things up a little more, the triangle has become a parallelogram.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

Peanuts (January 5, 1967)

Funky Winkerbean

Popeye

Rip Haywire

Pogo (January 5, 1956)

Out Our Way (March 3-4, 1924)

I know I promised "no more pearl clutching" over racist cartooning, but dear God, that guy's lips might as well be a 5 o'clock shadow. :gonk:

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

SubNat posted:

MOOMIN STUFF! :allears:

Just off of the top of my head, Club Life in Moominvalley was at the top of the last thread. I want to say the one with the gloomy maid was somewhere in there, too, but it's been awhile.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

Skippy (July 26-28, 1926)

:patriot:PEACE IN OUR TIME :patriot:

For those of you with sharp eyes, Corey Ford was a freelance writer and humorist.

EasyEW fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Jan 3, 2014

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

Peanuts: Just because he's going along with it doesn't mean Linus can't ladle on the drama. (January 6, 1967)

Funky Winkerbean

Popeye

Just about what you would expect. Popeye's granny is Popeye in a dress, so Popeye's pirate ancestor is a peg-leg Popeye with better hair.

Rip Haywire

Pogo, in which the caucus disintegrates into back-room maneuvering. (January 6, 1956)

Out Our Way (March 5-6, 1924)

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

Skippy (July 29-31, 1926)

From the short list of things a parent never wants to hear a child shouting from another room.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

Peanuts (January 7, 1967)

After being burned on the Great Pumpkin, she was always going to be a hard sell.

Funky Winkerbean

That's not a smirk. That's cigar mouth.

Popeye

Rip Haywire

Pogo finds corruption at the polls. (January 7, 1956)

Out Our Way (March 7-8, 1924)

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

Skippy (August 2-4, 1926)

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

Dr. Video Games 0081 posted:

Guy Gilchrist made or shared no fewer than eight Facebook posts about Phil Everly.

There's no question that a tribute's in our future. The only question is whether Fritzi's tits are going to be involved.

Majestic.

Peanuts (January 8, 1967)

Click the death stare of the flying ace for the Sunday the syndicate skipped.

Funky Winkerbean

Classic Popeye Sunday does not play well with others. (c. 1941)

Pogo, in which Got Your Nose becomes a full-contact sport. (January 4, 1970)

First-Gen Blondie (or "the one I forgot to reintroduce with everything else") is where we rediscover one of America's most inescapable legacy strips through the earlier work of creator Chic Young.

"First-gen" might not have been the best way to describe this one, since the strip that we've tolerated for generations was actually a reboot. Blondie Boopadoop (God give me strength) started her comic strip life as a party girl looking for a sugar daddy, which in 1930 was an overpopulated genre. After a few years of playing the field, she found the guy in Dagwood Bumstead, the son of a industrial titan, and it was a match for the ages. Against his parents' wishes, Dagwood married Blondie in 1933 and they promptly disowned him, meaning that he had to work for the first time in his life. And thus born the strip that refuses to die.

(c. 1940)

Out Our Way (March 10-11, 1924)

EasyEW fucked around with this message at 08:25 on Jan 5, 2014

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

Skippy (August 5-7, 1926)

Uncle Louie is setting a Charlotte Perkins Gilman story into motion. :tinfoil:

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

GorfZaplen posted:

The Phantom

I feel like we're missing something here.

The "disposable" row had some important exposition this time.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

Peanuts (January 9, 1967)

Funky Winkerbean: It's the first creeping misery of 2014! :cheers:

Popeye: They seem to be taking the haunting very well.

Rip Haywire

Pogo: That's what he gets for reading ahead. (January 9, 1956)

Out Our Way (March 12-13, 1924)

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

Skippy (August 9-11, 1926)

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

Peanuts supports our troops. :patriot: (January 10, 1967)

Funky Winkerbean asks you to boost the economy by supporting locally-owned businesses. It asks you to do this from the checkout line at Walmart.

Popeye

Rip Haywire

Pogo (January 10, 1956)

Out Our Way (March 14-15, 1924)

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

Skippy (August 12-14, 1926)

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

The Sphinxster posted:

Whoah Luann is at make out point. It's a new era.

Still boring as poo poo but hey, baby steps.

Karen Evans (the "real Luann") has been cowriting the strip since 2012, so if we're actually moving forward, it might be because there's a generational shift going on.

Peanuts (January 11, 1967)

Funky Winkerbean

Isn't this the same Kahn who did some arms dealing and Wally capturing in Afghanistan? And a few years in Westview has pretty much ruined him on America? Yeah, sounds about right...

Popeye

Not a bad swing for something twice as big as he is.

Rip Haywire

Pogo in which the new calendar is derailed over more pressing concerns. (January 11, 1956)

Out Our Way (March 17-18, 1924)

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

Skippy (August 16-18, 1926)

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

Peanuts (January 12, 1967)

The impressive facial hair is maintained by the World-Famous Mustache Wax Salesman.

Funky Winkerbean

Popeye

Rip Haywire

Pogo (January 12, 1956)

Out Our Way (March 19-20, 1924)

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

Skippy (August 19-21, 1926)

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

My best guess was that the li'l belittler's existence invalidates the existence of 70 million American citizens.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

Peanuts (January 13, 1967)

Funky Winkerbean: For those of you playing along at home, it's time to reset the number on your "Days Since Last Reminder That Life Is Hollow Joke To Be Endured" sign.

Popeye

Rip Haywire

Pogo (January 13, 1956)

Churchy got so caught up in geopolitical stuff that he didn't even look at his silly calendar.

Out Our Way (March 21-22, 1924)

It's a switcharoo! Momzendorgs?

e: We had a funeral in the family yesterday, and certain strips talk to you more strongly at certain moments. (December 11, 1982)

EasyEW fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Jan 10, 2014

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

Skippy (August 23-25, 1926)

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

Peanuts (January 14, 1967)

It's hard for a soldier to be intimidating when he's only a couple of feet tall.

Funky Winkerbean

Popeye

It's a little less hard to talk about divided loyalties with Swee'pea over the other characters, who don't usually have any loyalties. That said, he turned really quickly, didn't he.

Rip Haywire

Pogo (January 14, 1956)

"Don't screw around unless you're ready to give us a near-death experience, buddy."

Out Our Way (March 24-25, 1924)

Oh yeah, cowboys...there's going to be a lot these coming. There was a six year period after J.R. Williams dropped out of school where he was either working on ranches when he wasn't in machine shops.

Above: Our cartoonist in his natural habitat. His friend is named Lizard.

EasyEW fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Jan 11, 2014

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

Borden posted:

Well, this makes even less sense now that I look at it.

With those moves, he could join the Archies.

Skippy (August 26-28, 1926)

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

My god, it's exactly the way I dreamt it. And the dance party has a band now. :allears:

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

Aardmania posted:

9 Chickweed Lane

In case today's strip doesn't make any sense, Bill's line is a quote from the movie, 'It Happened One Night'.

Yeah, that one.

It just dawned on me that June 6 is the 70th anniversary of D-Day. This story is going to run all the way through summer, isn't it?

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

Peanuts (January 15, 1967)

Funky Winkerbean

Classic Popeye Sunday takes on another challenger to the throne. (c. 1942)

Pogo, in which Beauregard and Albert take their problems to a professional...or a reasonable facsimile. (January 11, 1970)

First-Gen Blondie: One of the iconic images of the comics page is Dagwood as the human buffet table. He never gets salami stains on those white shirts. (c. 1941)

Out Our Way (March 26-27, 1924)

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

Skippy (August 30-September 1, 1926)

We take you now to West Virginia...

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

Peanuts, in which the flying ace finds himself in durance vile. (January 16, 1967)

Funky Winkerbean

Popeye

Rip Haywire

Pogo: We return you now to the smoke-filled room. (January 16, 1967)

Out Our Way (March 28-29, 1924)

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

Skippy (September 2-4, 1926)

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

catlord posted:

I think he's what's her name's father, except he's not actual her father because Grandma hosed/fell in love with a Nazi. But I think he raised her, but was a bitter person because he knew she wasn't his daughter? I think. I don't know, I think last thread or tow threads ago somebody started posting this storyline, but stopped at some point (because it was terrible the first time, it was terrible when it was being reposted, and it's still terrible know in these reruns).

This is a continuation of (or parallel story to) that "Edie Ernst: USO Spy" bullshit that ran interminably for a year and a half several threads ago, except this is the story from dad-not-dad's point of view. If he didn't make all of that clear...well, that's because a certain pretentious cartoonist doesn't do clarity anymore.

Among the other storytelling and artistic flaws that drove us all up the wall, Edie's story was paced terribly. There was no reason it couldn't have been wrapped up in a fraction of the time (Brooke's editors are probably terrified of him at this point), and there's no reason to expect that this one won't drag on forever, too.

Anyway, Peanuts! ACTION SEQUENCE! (January 17, 1967)

In case you missed yesterday, Funky Winkerbean is pretending to be interested in the school again.

Popeye

Rip Haywire

Pogo (January 17, 1956)

Out Our Way (March 31 and April 1, 1924)

And now that one cowboy panel has slipped out of the corral, here comes the stampede.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

Peanuts: And now, the daring escape! (January 18, 1967)

Funky Winkerbean

Popeye

Rip Haywire

Pogo (January 18, 1956)

Out Our Way (April 2-3, 1924)

The Uncle Tom shows, most of which were heavy on melodrama and minstrely (and loose with the source material), had a long and bizarre history, and that they're even called "Tom shows" should tell you how these touring companies became a huge entertainment genre unto themselves. The further we got away from the Civil War, the closer the whole thing was to straight-up vaudeville with a wrap-around story, with singing quartettes and specialty acts. I'm still having trouble getting my head around the "double Tom" shows (as J. Frank Davis described it, "two Toms, two Evas, two Topsies, and two Legrees", because why the hell not) except as a sign that it wasn't about social progress as much as it was about spectacle. Anyway, Harriet Beecher Stowe wasn't involved with any of them. Like a lot of deeply religious people in the 19th century, she didn't like the theater.

Which is a lot of words to say that if this cartoon looks more like a circus parade than a theater announcement, you're not that far off.

EasyEW fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Jan 15, 2014

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

Redeye Flight posted:

Kind of an ancestor of the Rocky Horror Picture Show, maybe?

If we're going with a Rocky Horror analogy, it'd be the original Rocky Horror Show if the various road companies decided to go into business for themselves and rewrite the script just to one-up each other.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

Skippy is a few parts light tonight. (September 6-8, 1926)

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

Peanuts (January 19, 1967)

Funky Winkerbean

Multiple choice:
A) After Wedgeman's last round (the one that got him kicked off the football team), you'd think he'd be a little bit more menacing. If we're really pretending to be true-to-life, wouldn't he be carrying a grudge like he got paid by the mile for it?
B) Alex looks a little bit shocked in that last panel. Is it because Owen thinks that jamming two words together is an original thought? Or are these bland bully rejoinders usually accompanied by tater tot hail?
C) The neek shall inherit the Murph. :downs:

Popeye

Rip Haywire

Pogo (January 19, 1956)

Grundoon is trying to turn Pogo into a hoarder.

Out Our Way (April 4-5, 1924)

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

Skippy (September 9-11, 1926)

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

Peanuts (January 20, 1967)

Funky Winkerbean

Popeye

Rip Haywire

Pogo was originally drafted as the swamp's presidential nominee in 1952. A pro-Pogo rally at Harvard was chaotic enough to be busted up by the police, an event the class of '52 termed The Pogo Riot. (January 20, 1956)

Out Our Way (April 7-8, 1924)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

BlankIsBeautiful posted:

Kliban

Man, he's been kinda out there this week. Is that a separate panel, or is that monk in the room below the praying dude?

The second one is the downstairs neighbor.

• Locked thread