Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bryaugh
Mar 7, 2004

Just in time for the "war" to be over I finally finished a TL3 dropship. I'll be producing them on planet Fart Garbage if anyone needs one. Each one carries 2 APCs and 6 motor bikes. It has space for 5 AI troops and 6 officers, though I'm not sure if multiple players can claim officer spots on the same ship. I was hoping to make it so a group of people could all spawn tie to the same ship without having to sacrifice NPC slots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

Bryaugh posted:

Just in time for the "war" to be over I finally finished a TL3 dropship. I'll be producing them on planet Fart Garbage if anyone needs one. Each one carries 2 APCs and 6 motor bikes. It has space for 5 AI troops and 6 officers, though I'm not sure if multiple players can claim officer spots on the same ship. I was hoping to make it so a group of people could all spawn tie to the same ship without having to sacrifice NPC slots.

Next war is about to start, sooooo.

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

Bondematt posted:

Next war is about to start, sooooo.

Where? I can't see any other empire systems on the map?
Or are we just sticking with generally annihilating anything we bump into?

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

OzyMandrill posted:

Where? I can't see any other empire systems on the map?
Or are we just sticking with generally annihilating anything we bump into?

Nah, it was just me screaming the sky is falling. The city we took was off by itself, so the guy likely joined the empire and just built on the planet it stuck him on.

We do see a rather large Empire, not too far away.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
We probably should cool off a little on murdering everyone. We'll eventually find someone with actual planets and god forbid actually knows what they're doing in the game. I'd rather not have to fight a war we need to be TL7 (transporters) to win, all the while they can slowly fly out and mess with us.

Plus it stretches worlds everywhere.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

Gamerofthegame posted:

We probably should cool off a little on murdering everyone. We'll eventually find someone with actual planets and god forbid actually knows what they're doing in the game. I'd rather not have to fight a war we need to be TL7 (transporters) to win, all the while they can slowly fly out and mess with us.

Plus it stretches worlds everywhere.

Yeah, I second that. Little one off Empires are fine, we'd rather vassal them though, unless they do something like knife a ship we send. Always check the names of Empires before you go knock their building blocks over. Anything large and we really don't need to just start a war.

Edit:

Update time!

http://www.hazeron.com/update.html

Biggest change I see

Haxus posted:

Ringworld Resource Zones
Ringworlds have too many resource zones.
Fixed. Each ringworld section now has only two resource zones instead of three. I apologize to anyone affected by this change; the database shows that a few ringworlds do exist already.

Bondematt fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Jan 3, 2014

SPERMCUBE.ORG
Nov 3, 2011

Space commies are th' biggest threat t' red-blooded American Freedom we got in th' future. So me and my boys got to talking over a few hot dogs the other day and this is what we came up with...

Bondematt posted:

Yeah, I second that. Little one off Empires are fine, we'd rather vassal them though, unless they do something like knife a ship we send.

I thought of that last night before conquering those two cities but those guys were pretending to be vampires or something. They had to go. Sorry our borders are messy.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

SPERMCUBE.ORG posted:

I thought of that last night before conquering those two cities but those guys were pretending to be vampires or something. They had to go. Sorry our borders are messy.

Yeah, that was an example of perfectly fine, "gently caress your weird rear end poo poo", conquest.

I guess we should lay out some policies at some point. Vampire larpers are on the kill everytime list.

Edit: As soon as the game came up servers started crashing. Hopefully we can get a lag fix from this BS.

Bondematt fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Jan 3, 2014

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
So from a metagame point of view, using the recall to ship berth is the best way to move goons to the fights, as opposed to slowboating in a warship.

My idea is basically producing a fairly fast ship we can have in strategic locations with a large berthing capacity to allow a large amount of players to recall in and start fighting. This would really only work if we have orbital superiority. Alternatively any ship can do it as long as the owner manages how many berths are open, flying 19 systems for a fight which takes 10 minutes is horrible, berthjumping or whatever is clearly the way to go.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

Leo Showers posted:

So from a metagame point of view, using the recall to ship berth is the best way to move goons to the fights, as opposed to slowboating in a warship.

My idea is basically producing a fairly fast ship we can have in strategic locations with a large berthing capacity to allow a large amount of players to recall in and start fighting. This would really only work if we have orbital superiority. Alternatively any ship can do it as long as the owner manages how many berths are open, flying 19 systems for a fight which takes 10 minutes is horrible, berthjumping or whatever is clearly the way to go.

Berthaporting is generally how we get around, I had thought he couldn't get to his ship :v:.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid
Everyone fortify your towns. Full defenses.

Discuss anything in the private thread.

Edit: If you come on, and find your place fortified: Uh, you're welcome

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

I went and made a race of super strong telepathic spiders who shoot fire from their minds but I dunno if I have some options wrong or something but it's super laggy walking around. I think it might have something to do with my speed being far too high because I can run at like 40mph and jump over towns in one jump. Is that.. uh.. normal?

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Leo Showers posted:

This won't work to soon as there will be actual defenses you have to fight and our ships will have transporters anyway, as well as enough TL to have berths for people to come in from.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

randombattle posted:

I went and made a race of super strong telepathic spiders who shoot fire from their minds but I dunno if I have some options wrong or something but it's super laggy walking around. I think it might have something to do with my speed being far too high because I can run at like 40mph and jump over towns in one jump. Is that.. uh.. normal?

Hazeron is laggy as poo poo right now.

SPERMCUBE.ORG
Nov 3, 2011

Space commies are th' biggest threat t' red-blooded American Freedom we got in th' future. So me and my boys got to talking over a few hot dogs the other day and this is what we came up with...

Bondematt posted:

I had thought he couldn't get to his ship :v:.

At first I kind of couldn't. I went back to my ship as soon as that weird guy disappeared.
It all worked out in the end though, I killed a dude way too many times in a row, we took back the city, and Fussy learned a lesson about werewolves or something. A good invasion.

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

Simple question - I bought a load of tech discs before I headed out to found a colony - how do I actually use them?

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Sell them to your city and things will tech up, one building at a time. Be warned though, it does it one step at a time. A level one building that eats a 32 disc will be level two.

You don't need to worry about TL of buildings to much beyond things like military bases and maybe housing if you are just making a scrub colony that doesn't have a high QL resource attached to it. It's not mandatory to raise it up needlessly and doing so is kind of a waste of discs, not that they're exactly limited.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

Gamerofthegame posted:

Sell them to your city and things will tech up, one building at a time. Be warned though, it does it one step at a time. A level one building that eats a 32 disc will be level two.

You don't need to worry about TL of buildings to much beyond things like military bases and maybe housing if you are just making a scrub colony that doesn't have a high QL resource attached to it. It's not mandatory to raise it up needlessly and doing so is kind of a waste of discs, not that they're exactly limited.

This is only true of discs from other Empires, your own Empire's TL32 disc will raise that building's TL straight to 32.

Try to keep discs from floating around too, we don't want our enemies to get a sudden TL burst from capturing some rear end backwards colony that gets tech dumped on it.

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

Bondematt posted:

This is only true of discs from other Empires, your own Empire's TL32 disc will raise that building's TL straight to 32.

Try to keep discs from floating around too, we don't want our enemies to get a sudden TL burst from capturing some rear end backwards colony that gets tech dumped on it.

Phew! I just got enough just so I can get my own spaceship production up to TL3 or 4 (I forget which, I think one of the discs was only a 3)

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Hopefully my connection will be stable enough for me to play this terrible game tomorrow. :negative:

How's the empire doing at the moment?

toehorse
Apr 7, 2006
Someone said something 2 days ago about locating a second ringworld. Could that person please send a mail to Bondematt or Toes to give us the location?

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

toehorse posted:

Someone said something 2 days ago about locating a second ringworld. Could that person please send a mail to Bondematt or Toes to give us the location?

I've got the location now, unless there is a third or something.

Edit: This server can't even handle us right now.

Bondematt fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Jan 5, 2014

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007
IF I REPORT SOMETHING, BAN ME.
If I planted my empire in the neutral zone is it even possible to get to the pvp zone? From the patch notes it seemed possible I just can't find my way there.

toehorse
Apr 7, 2006

Lorem ipsum posted:

If I planted my empire in the neutral zone is it even possible to get to the pvp zone? From the patch notes it seemed possible I just can't find my way there.

Dont do this. Seriously you will be missing out on tons of goon fun if you make your own empire and park it in the baby universe.

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007

toehorse posted:

Dont do this. Seriously you will be missing out on tons of goon fun if you make your own empire and park it in the baby universe.

Thanks for this incredibly helpful reply

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

Lorem ipsum posted:

toehorse posted:

^ This is the correct answer. ^

There is currently no way to go between the galaxies, and pubbies are awful at this game apparently. Like, worse than goons awful.

Edit: I think you can drop Empire and join one in the other galaxy, and maybe berthaport. No ones here really tried it yet.

Bondematt fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Jan 5, 2014

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007
Oh I might try that. I have a bunch of money and TL7 disks. Thanks.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid
Seriously, stop attacking The Blood Ravens, do attack Adeptus Blood Ravens.

Adeptus Blood Ravens has also been seen as just Blood Ravens, but in any case: ask before you attack unless it is for defense.

I highly doubt any reprisals due to this, since it was some throw away colony. We may have shot a naked dude though, shoot all the naked dudes.

:nixon: out.

Karistar
Jan 5, 2012
So eager were the troops to try out a newly designed guard tower that they chose to do so before it was even built.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Lowen
Mar 16, 2007

Adorable.

Guard towers are terrible, don't build them until proven otherwise :argh:

e: also what the hell, those troops are holding heavy weapons. You can't even use them handheld yet.

crabcakes66
May 24, 2012

by exmarx
I have tried to get into this a few times but SoH is one of those rare games where the graphics are so bad that they actually detract from the gameplay.

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

I WILL PUT THIS FLAG ON FREAKING EVERYTHING BECAUSE IT IS SYMBOLIC AS HELL SOMEHOW

Question: The empire rankings say that we own... 54 planets?!

Is there any reason to continue expanding?

Inglonias fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Jan 5, 2014

angus725
Jan 5, 2014

Inglonias posted:

Tax income for research. Although looking for Q248+ resources isn't a bad idea right now.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

Inglonias posted:

We're going full Mormon. Sectors for everyone.

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

crabcakes66 posted:

I have tried to get into this a few times but SoH is one of those rare games where the graphics are so bad that they actually detract from the gameplay.

Wait until you try the UI!

But seriously, it is worth sticking with - just the other day I hitched a ride on a custom starship to go help found a colony on a newly found ringworld... Ok, I ended up mostly breaking rocks like an indentured criminal, but in space! And while there may be hideous assholes talking crap to the whole galaxy, you can build a giant death star and blow up all their stuff!

IN SPACE! :awesomelon:

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

Lowen posted:

Guard towers are terrible, don't build them until proven otherwise :argh:

Do we have any idea how these ones work out? They get on the turret at least.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

You need a custom one, as the current one blows.

They way they work is that because bases don't have regular guns, the guard towers shoot mans and also shoot vehicles. Their damage doesn't scale, though, so after TL 1-2 they suck again and teched up ammo is far and away a better alternative. (IE, having mans wander around.)

So they suck but are the only thing that shoots at vehicles. Which are just used as transportation.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

Gamerofthegame posted:

You need a custom one, as the current one blows.

They way they work is that because bases don't have regular guns, the guard towers shoot mans and also shoot vehicles. Their damage doesn't scale, though, so after TL 1-2 they suck again and teched up ammo is far and away a better alternative. (IE, having mans wander around.)

So they suck but are the only thing that shoots at vehicles. Which are just used as transportation.

Yeah it's a custom one from Kobata. C-Fairy

Good to know that guard tower tech is as useless as it sounded.

Bondematt fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Jan 5, 2014

Kobata
Oct 11, 2012

Bondematt posted:

Yeah it's a custom one from Kobata.

The only thing I've done is a custom Airport so we could get to the consoles easier.

Most of the default designs seem to be picked more for looking good than working very well, so custom designs for everything that has consoles or weapons is probably a good idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
I'm wondering how effective a design would be that would basically just be a wall on one side of the blueprint, and you'd place said building in a way to make invading your city a pain in the rear end. Probably not though.

• Locked thread