Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AirborneNinja
Jul 27, 2009

In a world of birdmen space marines I don't think walled cities would be super useful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

angus725
Jan 5, 2014

If you take this concept to the extreme, which is what the French Empire has seemingly done, you're bases will take a very long time to take.

http://hazeron.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=5962

I've heard rumors that this exploit is getting fixed in the upcoming patches though. Unfortunately no idea when.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

angus725 posted:

If you take this concept to the extreme, which is what the French Empire has seemingly done, you're bases will take a very long time to take.

http://hazeron.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=5962

I've heard rumors that this exploit is getting fixed in the upcoming patches though. Unfortunately no idea when.

It would be nice if that gets fixed quickly, the metagame in this game is rediculous already.

Bondematt fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Jan 6, 2014

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid
So for those who were not on today: We have word of French Aggression and are preparing for defense and a response if attacked.

We owe Bay12 thanks for this, so remember that in future encounters.

Edit: Do not attack them however, we are to remain neutral until any of their ships enter our territory without approval.

You only have permission to attack if:
1) They land or attempt to land on any of our planets.
2) Enter a system without approval and do not immediately turn around or hail.
3) Shoot first or otherwise showing aggression.

Superedit: Rehab, I hosed up your governance, let me know what you had so I can re-add it.

SuperDuperPooperEdit:

I believe we just got confirmation that FireCrazy is indeed crazy. From FireCrazy himself

http://i.imgur.com/hoxgr5W.png
http://i.imgur.com/HzxFzzd.png
http://i.imgur.com/0KVwzcQ.png

Bondematt fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Jan 6, 2014

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

So...

How do you fortify a base effectively then?

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

OzyMandrill posted:

So...

How do you fortify a base effectively then?

You don't :v:

Hop on mumble and we can walk you through it.

Also: We caused a person to break down without even doing anything :allears:

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

Bondematt posted:

So for those who were not on today: We have word of French Aggression and are preparing for defense and a response if attacked.

We owe Bay12 thanks for this, so remember that in future encounters.

Edit: Do not attack them however, we are to remain neutral until any of their ships enter our territory without approval.

You only have permission to attack if:
1) They land or attempt to land on any of our planets.
2) Enter a system without approval and do not immediately turn around or hail.
3) Shoot first or otherwise showing aggression.

Superedit: Rehab, I hosed up your governance, let me know what you had so I can re-add it.

SuperDuperPooperEdit:

I believe we just got confirmation that FireCrazy is indeed crazy. From FireCrazy himself

http://i.imgur.com/hoxgr5W.png
http://i.imgur.com/HzxFzzd.png
http://i.imgur.com/0KVwzcQ.png

"Hey guys, that thing I said? I meant the opposite. Nvm I am a horrible player I am taking my toys and going home" :shepicide:

e: It's pretty great that it kind of just happened, it didn't even need any prodding. Hopefully The Exiles take the hint and don't surrender to the French, thus ensuring the Comedy War can continue.

Recoome fucked around with this message at 10:06 on Jan 6, 2014

Bryaugh
Mar 7, 2004

Well that's weird. I sent an officer onto another ship and now it won't respond and the doors are all locked. Think something might be up with governance since the org chart doesn't list me as in charge of the city I built on Doom Hose IVa anymore. It's still letting me build and everything but could someone try re-assigning me to that planet sometime please?

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid
Haxus was trying to fix the planets not in a universe bug early this morning, probably has something to do with that. Are you the governor of all you worlds? The game seems to drop you from any other level when I assign it.

Sweet, there are is no longer a blank Universe in my organizational chart!

Bondematt fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Jan 8, 2014

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets
I love having a little corporation of automated ships running around doing my corporate bidding... :3:

Alehkhs fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Jan 8, 2014

Bill Zabub
Oct 14, 2011

Is the implant weapon really useful? It seems that it would be a hoot to use.

Bryaugh
Mar 7, 2004

Looks like my ship is sending emails again as of 20 minutes ago, so hopefully it's all fixed now!

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

Bryaugh posted:

Looks like my ship is sending emails again as of 20 minutes ago, so hopefully it's all fixed now!

Yeah, I had to reassign it. Name is changed though so :v:

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid
Due to threats of tech raiding and internal tech depletion issues, I am setting some rules for how we distribute tech.

Rules for tech trade:

1) No automated tech trading, at all.
2) Ask to get the location of tech.
3) Do not share the location of tech with anyone you don't know or don't trust.
4) Do not clear the city out of tech.
5) If you need a few tech discs, less than 10, grab them. Do not take all the discs, leave a handful at least if you can.
6) If you need a shitload of tech discs, 10+ for now, buy one and make the rest yourself.
7) Make sure we have no tech discs floating around at all. You should dump all excess on the tech city, or jettison them so no one can recover them.
8) If a colony does not need a tech, do not bring it too them.
9) Undefended cities should not have any tech at all.

The location change will take effect sometime tomorrow if not tonight.

Changing auto ships orders out so they stop buying literally all the tech we have.

Bondematt fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Jan 8, 2014

toehorse
Apr 7, 2006
The problem with this is that even if someone gives an officer the order to buy tech of one type, he will attempt to clean out the system of all tech of that type. I suggest all tech purchases be done manually by people otherwise you will always get more tech than you need and often a bunch of inferior discs. This will lead to messy tech spreading. I will admit that I am guilty of this too.

Using officers to trade in tech just like other commodities causes problems, even making them to do single run trading missions is disruptive.

toehorse fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Jan 8, 2014

toehorse
Apr 7, 2006
Also newest update is going to radically change the wormhole network. New routes are now open.

http://www.hazeron.com/update.html

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

toehorse posted:

The problem with this is that even if someone gives an officer the order to buy tech of one type, he will attempt to clean out the system of all tech of that type. I suggest all tech purchases be done manually by people otherwise you will always get more tech than you need and often a bunch of inferior discs. This will lead to messy tech spreading. I will admit that I am guilty of this too.

Using officers to trade in tech just like other commodities causes problems, even making them to do single run trading missions is disruptive.

Good point, 1% of 3000 hold is still a shitload, and that's the tiniest hold I've had on a ship even.

Haxus posted:

Empire VP Has No Build Authority
VP of empires could not build cities or perform other actions. Empire organizational chart shows cities in a galaxy with a blank name!
Fixed a bug when adding new cities to an empire that caused them to store the incorrect galaxy id. Existing cities will be reconciled/fixed when the servers restart.

Uh, so did he fix it or not?

Bondematt fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Jan 8, 2014

toehorse
Apr 7, 2006
Also, I suggest removing the empire pw from PGS and making it mumble request only.

Reicere
Nov 5, 2009

Not sooo looouuud!!!

Bondematt posted:

Rules for tech trade:

You might also want to recommend that people store tech in their sea chest for extra security.

Solvency
Apr 28, 2008

Trade, sir! Discover it! This is you, this is a clue. Get a clue, discover trade!

toehorse posted:

Also newest update is going to radically change the wormhole network. New routes are now open.

I assume this means that now Facepunch has a way out... and through us?

angus725
Jan 5, 2014

Solvency posted:

I assume this means that now Facepunch has a way out... and through us?

Curious what the relationship between us and Facepunch is. Considering their age demographic, I doubt they pose a significant threat of any kind without being in a large alliance.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

angus725 posted:

Curious what the relationship between us and Facepunch is. Considering their age demographic, I doubt they pose a significant threat of any kind without being in a large alliance.

I don't think we really have a relationship. Never heard anyone go "Uggg Facepunch".

A thing might be happening soon

http://hazeron.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6265

Edit: So we think VP privileges have been fixed. Is there anyone who plays regularly and ideally opposite timezone to me who would want the position?

Doublebutt: Just purged the Empire of all names we didn't recognize and didn't have a decent city. Ask on mumble for the new pass. Sorry if anyone got removed who was legit, you were perhaps too legit.

Bondematt fucked around with this message at 10:04 on Jan 9, 2014

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007
IF I REPORT SOMETHING, BAN ME.
I sent my officer on a cyclic mission to Patrol for 200 seconds, Land at City, Send Damage report, Repair and Refuel.

He never stopped patrolling. I can hail it just fine and it reports the mission as stated above.

e: Nevermind! I forgot to give him the con.

Lorem ipsum fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Jan 9, 2014

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets
How to Assign Missions to the Other Ships in Your Fleet

Right as I sit down at the table on board the good ship Goonden I realize I am entirely out of wine. I'm too lazy to go out and get some myself, so I decide to Open the Comm window (F3), Switch to the "Fleet" tab, and Send out a hail.

My fleet ships respond to my hail, and lo and behold, Night Trader is nearby! I switch to the channel opened by Night Trader and click on the "Spacecraft Mission Order" button at the bottom to open the Mission Transmitter.

I want to check the ship's current mission, so I click on the "Report Mission" button at the top right corner of the Mission Transmitter window. Seeing that Night Trader currently has no mission, who better to fetch me some wine?

To begin creating a mission to transmit to Night Trader, I close the Mission Transmitter and open the "Spacecraft Mission" screen (Shift+F2). I then click the blue asterisk button to begin a "New Mission" and create the first step in the mission. For all the following steps, I click the plus (+) symbol to "Add Mission Order" until I am done. I add a "Hold Mission" order at the end of the list, so I can simply have the mission loop and just re-activate it any time I want this mission carried out.

When I'm done designing the mission, I click the "Burn Mission Disk" button and create a disk with this particular mission on it, in case I need to remember it later for another ship.

Now I'm ready to transmit the entire mission to Night Trader. I click on the "Spacecraft Mission Order" again to re-open the Mission Transmitter, and then click the button that looks like a folder to "Load Mission" to the Night Trader. It asks me if I want to load from a disk or directly from my ship's standing mission - I select the mission disk that was just created so that it wasn't a total waste of time to make. Night Trader confirms that they have received the mission, and I click the green "Activate Mission" button to send them on their way.

-----

How to Edit the Missions of the Other Ships in Your Fleet

After I send Night Trader on the mission, I realize that I would also really like some cheese to go with the wine, so I decide that I will have to edit the mission already in progress. I Re-open the Mission Transmitter and click the red "Hold Mission" button to tell Night Trader to wait while I edit their mission.

I click the "Send Mission" button to have the ship send its current mission back and then double click the attached mission file in the Comm window to copy it to my current ship's mission planner.

I close the Mission Transmitter and open the "Spacecraft Mission" screen (Shift+F2) and then edit the mission as I desire, inserting some cheese-related orders.

I re-open the Mission Transmitter window and send the mission back using the "Load Mission" button that looks like a folder. I choose to load it directly from the ship because it wasn't burned to disk this time. Once Night Trader confirms receipt of the mission, I click the green "Activate Mission" button to have them resume with the edited mission.

Here they come now with my cheese and wine!

Alehkhs fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Jan 10, 2014

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid
Awesome Alehkhs, going to link that in the OP.

We have now encountered a Pirate Dickbutt Station :allears:

Gonna see if I can cap this thing, wish me luck

:stare: Those fuckers are wearing either magmium or vulcium armor. Note to self: 1 c4 does not kill 1 guy in one of those suits.

And it appears the station is still friendly to me, at least I can use crew doors and TP onto it freely.

Took the station back, but there are two enemy troops just standing there getting wailed on by the station's troops. They have no ammo, ours have no guns.

Bondematt fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Jan 10, 2014

Solvency
Apr 28, 2008

Trade, sir! Discover it! This is you, this is a clue. Get a clue, discover trade!
Welp, valuable lesson learned with a privately purchased ship: Make sure (and do it twice) that it has fuel.

Finally got the thing built and yeah, it runs out of juice above a sun and gets destroyed. Thankfully I can respawn it right??

Well, it doesn't exactly come back undamaged, and this one came back with the power and the teleports completely broken. This meant landing in a city and hauling enough stuff into the ship to get it so it can land on a pad.

Word of warning though, our Airport repair is a bit out of TL on Goontopia, so I had to manually repair enough to get FTL working and then fly to a different system to get it done.

Though, with the help of Malicus I was finally able to get the thing up and running and destroyed a few Pirate space stations and ships, so it was all worth it in the end.

Malicus
Oct 31, 2013
I had to reroute all the power to the engines with the power relay station to get it mobile enough to get to a pad so he could even buy repair supplies. That's the first time I've ever seen that station be useful, but actually being able to say that I'm "rerouting all power to engines" in Hazeron made my end of the experience worth it.

Last night I also had a deadly reminder of how the AI still does not understand stars. Telling them to orbit a star remains a bad idea.

thideras
Oct 27, 2010

Fuck you, I'm a tree.
Fun Shoe

Malicus posted:

Last night I also had a deadly reminder of how the AI still does not understand stars. Telling them to orbit a star remains a bad idea.
You didn't tell them how close to orbit the star. :sun:

Plastic Pal
Jun 5, 2004

~ It's you. Only you. ~

Am I insane for being kind of curious about this game? It's like some low-rent EVE Online but it looks kind of awesome. The graphics are terrible but I just spent like twenty minutes laughing my rear end off at the random race generator.

Trying to decide now if I want to brave Mumble just so I can get the password to join the Get Out empire. It all looks so inscrutable and weird and possibly fun! :allears:

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007
If you can manage to plant a flag, you will be ready to deal with anything the game throws at you.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid
Herp, sorry for my absence these last days. Schools starting out, uh, interesting. Yeah Financial Aid BS!

Bill and Toes, if you guys want you can make alts and I'll set one up as VP and the other as Sector Viceroy of like everything. Planting a flag with them will clear that status though, cause :hazeron:.

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007
I don't really get the point of fighters. They are really really fast, but as far as I can tell they aren't terribly strong and you can't seem to have AI fly them. Why would I ever have a fighter when I can just be in my own ship?

Lowen
Mar 16, 2007

Adorable.

Lorem ipsum posted:

I don't really get the point of fighters. They are really really fast, but as far as I can tell they aren't terribly strong and you can't seem to have AI fly them. Why would I ever have a fighter when I can just be in my own ship?

Your feelings are correct, fighters are fairly useless right now.

One thing you could use them for is flying around a hostile planet with weapon bases, since they won't be shot at by weapon bases. Like spaceships but unlike helicopters, they can do the space+q hover.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

Lorem ipsum posted:

They are decent at getting you to a planet without the weapon bases shooting you, but a transporter does that just fine it seems. For fighting they don't get targeted by an AI ship's main weapons, but unless you have a major TL advantage they can barely damage them anyway.

Bill Zabub
Oct 14, 2011

Bondematt posted:

Herp, sorry for my absence these last days. Schools starting out, uh, interesting. Yeah Financial Aid BS!

Bill and Toes, if you guys want you can make alts and I'll set one up as VP and the other as Sector Viceroy of like everything. Planting a flag with them will clear that status though, cause :hazeron:.

Sure thing. I'll make a new character or use a current one that has no cities down. Stay tuned. If you choose to give me sector VP, cab it be for Goatse (GET SOME sector)? It is close to my base of ops and I can help manage TL progression. Although trying to manage all those universities is going to be soooo enjoyable. :shepicide:

E: My new character is Maxamillian

Bill Zabub fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Jan 15, 2014

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007
It says in multiple places that tractor beams and missile launchers are not implemented but is this actually correct? Also, do I need to be using an AI officer on my spacestation or am I doing it wrong.

Bill Zabub
Oct 14, 2011

Lorem ipsum posted:

It says in multiple places that tractor beams and missile launchers are not implemented but is this actually correct? Also, do I need to be using an AI officer on my spacestation or am I doing it wrong.

No officers needed on a space station. Just fill the crew slots.

Bill Zabub
Oct 14, 2011

New update. A lot of new changes... especially:

http://www.shoresofhazeron.com/update.html

"What's new in this update? The rules for troops, flag points and military bases changed significantly in this update. You will want to make changes to your defenses ASAP."

Flag Point Separated From Military Bases

A new Military Flag building type was added.
Military Flag appears like a Town Square, only smaller. It requires one flag to construct.
Military buildings no longer add flag points.
The military flag acts like the old base flags in that all military flags must be captured before the town square flag can be captured.

City Troop Contingent
The troop contingent of a city is 5 per flag point, including the town square.
Each flag point will spawn up to 5 troops until the city troop contingent is filled, including at the town square.
Morale penalty for troops is based on the troop contingent minus the 5 contributed by the town square; those guys are freebies.
Ships and vehicles that load troops will take them from flag points only. They will not be taken from military buildings.
Military Buildings Use A Troop

Each military building requires one troop to operate.
Military buildings are Guard Towers, Weapon Systems, and Shield Generators.
Each flag point, NOT including the town square, supplies up to two of its troops to operate military buildings.
A city with a town square and one military flag can only support up to 2 military buildings. More than that will go unmanned.

toehorse
Apr 7, 2006
Woop Woop!

Ground invasions here we come!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007
More than that!

quote:

Buildings can now be damaged and destroyed.
Shield generator base now protects buildings whose site center point is inside the shield bubble.
Turrets Use Ammo / Bay Weapons Use Ammo

• Locked thread