Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
moolchaba
Jul 21, 2007
OK. My curiosity is peaked, I am going to have to give this a try.

How hard is it to get up to speed in this game?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007
IF I REPORT SOMETHING, BAN ME.

moolchaba posted:

Incredibly hard. The hardest thing you have ever done. I'm literally not joking.

Karistar
Jan 5, 2012
drat, this means that stupidly complicated weapon systems base I created is useless now, unless I leave it as it is to make it possible for enemies to reach the console operator.

Oh well, I'll make up for this by designing weapon bases that are literally nothing but floors upon floors of weapon system bays.

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

moolchaba posted:

I've been playing for about 3 weeks now, and I am still mostly clueless.
It's ace!

E: I did have a thought -
With the changes in bases/defenses, would it be worth building a little training ground inside our empire? I'm thinking something like start a character in a new empire, have them dead-head their way to an unused system inside us, and then set up a mini-empire in our space with the sole intention of building defensive bases that we can attack to practice & work out what defenses & attack tactics work now? We can always have people add extra test characters so multiple people can set up the training bases?

OzyMandrill fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Jan 18, 2014

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

I WILL PUT THIS FLAG ON FREAKING EVERYTHING BECAUSE IT IS SYMBOLIC AS HELL SOMEHOW

OzyMandrill posted:

It's ace!

With the changes in bases/defenses, would it be worth building a little training ground inside our empire? I'm thinking something like start a character in a new empire, have them dead-head their way to an unused system inside us, and then set up a mini-empire in our space with the sole intention of building defensive bases that we can attack to practice & work out what defenses & attack tactics work now? We can always have people add extra test characters so multiple people can set up the training bases?

Alternative idea: Make a second empire in the Neutral Zone galaxy. I don't know if Bondematt wants to manage that empire as well (I certainly wouldn't blame him if he didn't) but if anybody else wants to have a go at it, that might be a good training ground for newbies.

EDIT: My idea doesn't entirely apply to yours because I can't read properly. Whoops.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

OzyMandrill posted:

It's ace!

You can actually make a city in GET OUT, create a new empire, and capture it immediately.

I'm not sure how managing an Empire across the galaxies even works right now.

Bondematt fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Jan 18, 2014

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

I WILL PUT THIS FLAG ON FREAKING EVERYTHING BECAUSE IT IS SYMBOLIC AS HELL SOMEHOW

Be advised, Feculent Diva System currently appears to be broken. Plek and I tried to leave via wormhole, and now we're stuck in Limbo. I've made a post in the Limbo thread, so hopefully we can get out soon.

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

I'm stuck somewhere too - was on my way to the other side of the empire & I just get the star tunnel :(

Zudrag
Oct 7, 2009
I too, have been stuck in limbo traveling through there with a warp drive since yesterday. Too :effort: to get unstuck.

toehorse
Apr 7, 2006
Im also stuck in Feculant Diva. People are saying that using warpships is bugging out systems.

I have also heard that systems people have been limboed in have stopped posting updates as well.

Solvency
Apr 28, 2008

Trade, sir! Discover it! This is you, this is a clue. Get a clue, discover trade!
Hmm, seems like I"m going to take a break until some of these game ending bugs are fixed.

Bill Zabub
Oct 14, 2011

toehorse posted:

Im also stuck in Feculant Diva. People are saying that using warpships is bugging out systems.

I have also heard that systems people have been limboed in have stopped posting updates as well.

I have three characters limboed, two in Feculent Diva and one in CUZO. One was using FTL warp but the other two were using wormhole. I do not think it has to do with the drives. I think the actual systems are offline somehow.

Solvency posted:

Hmm, seems like I"m going to take a break until some of these game ending bugs are fixed.

I wouldn't hold your breath. Haxus seems to believe that adding new features is more important than fixing game breaking bugs.

Bill Zabub fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Jan 20, 2014

toehorse
Apr 7, 2006
They set me free! You guys are probably free now too.

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

toehorse posted:

They set me free! You guys are probably free now too.

Indeed, I am. Plek, if you read this thread, get off of my spaceship, please. We've arrived at your planet. Be sure to set your recall properly this time!

TipsyMcStagger
Apr 13, 2013

This isn't where
I parked my car...
I've read this thread a couple times (the older one).

This game has the great idea, the decent foundation but the lack of a proper team. I feel like this guy should source a kickstarter to get a team to polish his game a little. I played the poo poo out of dwarf fortress but it has so many horrible issues that I think I'll feel the same way about this game. Just because you programmed a pretty decent job at it doesn't mean you couldn't benefit from someone else fixing your code or revamping better interfaces for it.

Bill Zabub
Oct 14, 2011

One section of the latest patch:

"Ships on Ground Block Spawning in Orbit
Ships on the ground were incorrectly counting against total 'new' ships in orbit, preventing ships from spawning in orbit.
Ships on the ground are now ignored as they should be when seeking to spawn a ship in orbit."

Well that 'splains it.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

I remember playing an old dos game called Solar Winds and this seems almost reminiscent.

Haha, also, since this guy is usually a bag of dicks:

moolchaba posted:

Your curiosity is piqued, not peaked, dumbass. :smuggo:

SilvergunSuperman fucked around with this message at 13:31 on Jan 22, 2014

jhorphear
Apr 24, 2013

Ask me about telling people not to change my avatar
I am almost thinking about playing this again, and I might drag a few other veteran friends along with me. Is the Empire still active?

Malicus
Oct 31, 2013
We're still the #1 empire with a very large lead, but actual interest in the game is pretty much dead for a lot of people.

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

Malicus posted:

We're still the #1 empire with a very large lead, but actual interest in the game is pretty much dead for a lot of people.

40 something people in the off hours is actually pretty good in my view. Things are better than they were when I first played.

jhorphear
Apr 24, 2013

Ask me about telling people not to change my avatar
I may still give it a shot again this weekend, I will gladly lend my support to the goonpire if I decide to do so.

Lowen
Mar 16, 2007

Adorable.

I just started playing again after a few weeks off. Haxus is certainly doing a lot of work recently, isn't he?

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

For those who missed it, Toes kindly invited me(Marz) & Bryaueiieagh(is that how you spell it?) to join him on the hunt for pirates. Apparently, someone had once heard that in the cargo bays are untold riches, so the plan was to board the ships & stations and make off with the loot.

However, we were in a TL29 DickButt, and they were in TL4-9 dustbins, and so the first targets unhelpfully exploded, possibly from excitement, possibly from the giant laser beams, who knows.

So with strict orders to the crew to stay away from the big shooty things, we parked near our next victim, grabbed plenty of C4, and leapt out the airlock. At which point, our crew jumped in the little shooty turrets and blew the pirates out of the sky. Finally we arranged the crew in a circle singing Kum-bye-ar and eating quiche (which was the second option, my preferred option of blowing up the gunners with C4 was overruled), and descended on an unsuspecting TL4 pirate ship.

With great skill and dexterity, we assaulted the ship, planted C4, and detonated it. Unfortunately Toes managed to plant the C4 on his own spacesuit, so the effect was not quite what we hoped for, as a burning Toes flew past me at high velocity. Eventually, yet more C4 in position, we blew the door and lo - it opened! Such was the joy and excitement, we completely missed the station crewman calmly climbing down a ladder, walking up to the door and shutting it again. Even more c4 and a mad charge later, we were in! Guns blazing, we assaulted the bridge (I say 'we', I spent the whole time fighting a ladder, but hey - that's Hazeron!) The pirates were slaughtered, the ship was ours, and the cargo hold was cracked open revealing.. nothing. Not even a TL1 spanner.

Undeterred we headed back to the all-conquering DickButt, and with a couple of minutes (15 or so) we eventually rounded up the NPC soldiers we had taken over with us and got them back on board. Off we went in search of further prey - which exploded again. Finally we found a juicy nut to tackle, a TL7 pirate station! This time, nothing could go wrong...

Except the doors.
And the turrets.
Oh god, the turrets... Not ours this time, the station was designed with doors on the bottom surrounded by turrets, which did a drat good job of knocking us away - possibly a good tip for future station design methinks. Anyway, after a couple of mishaps (and a respawn due to another C4/spacesuit related accident), we got the C4 planted, and... bugger all happened. It appears that this door was a bit tougher than the last, so we fumbled together a winning strategy - piling in willy-nilly, one person getting blasted by the turrets continuously until they were pushed out of range, while the others tried to plant more C4 - each blast slightly weakening the door...

Sadly, at this point I had to go offline, but I would like to think that the rest of the mission went with similar levels of competence and skill.

So Toes - did you manage to get in & did it contain the mythical horde of TL32 weapons & armor?

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
I've been meaning to play Hazeron but I don't feel I'm that great.

Reading to Diplomacy Forum it would appear that the French Empire is no more. I'd imagine the revamped capture mechanics really kicked them in the rear end.

toehorse
Apr 7, 2006
I think someone changed control of the planets again. I was trying to put together a TL32 shipyard world and now I cant control my own ship or any of my supply ships. Anyone who has access can you restore the old governance's? If this is the new way we are organized, I nominate Mortimer's world to be the new shipyards? I think its the best.

toehorse
Apr 7, 2006
Also Mortimer check your mail from me. Ive sent you a ton of resource updates including TL31 IO and TL32 vulcanite

toehorse
Apr 7, 2006
If you can I really need access to those ships back. I have been making colonies like crazy and need some supplies.

Bill Zabub
Oct 14, 2011

Not sure why you lost Uber Viceroy status. I did not do it and I kinda doubt Bandy did. I can put you back.

Do what you will with Crucible. I'm movin' on up... four ships and over one million units of cargo at the Core, scouting for a new Core Crucible.

Edit: Toes planted a flag outside his Uber-Viceroyship... poof goes that rank. Fixed.

Bill Zabub fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Jan 24, 2014

toehorse
Apr 7, 2006
Sorry Im dumb

Lowen
Mar 16, 2007

Adorable.

I noticed someone renamed all the government ranks to things more goon appropriate except mayor. May I suggest mayor be renamed to Assbürgermeister?

Bill Zabub
Oct 14, 2011

Lowen posted:

I noticed someone renamed all the government ranks to things more goon appropriate except mayor. May I suggest mayor be renamed to Assbürgermeister?

Done. Enjoy.

toehorse
Apr 7, 2006
The communal shipyards is up and running. Let me know what is running low and I will do my best to refill it with Mort's old harv fleet.

Do not click employ citizen.

Also if you want vulcium armor, apply a TL32 vulcium hull upgrade. I will be running some of these soon.

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

toehorse posted:

Also if you want vulcium armor, apply a TL32 vulcium hull upgrade. I will be running some of these soon.

Any chance you also store up some other T32 upgrades - control consoles, warp drives, shields, power, beam & pulse lasers, atmos & particle bays? That way I can play with ship design at my TL24 base and upgrade the designs that I like?

toehorse
Apr 7, 2006
Yes, this is already there.

Also, I may need some help supplying all the crap necessary for shipbuilding. So if your Dickbutt Cruiser wont build at the level you want it to, go grab the resource yourself or find a better closer source.

Right now we run through Cryo the fastest. So if anyone wants to help they can bring a shipment or two, just dont expect the planet to pay for it.

Also note that you cant load troops there. If you do they will be scantily clad and easily picked off. I am working on making a ringworld a troop factory but it will take some time to setup.

toehorse fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Jan 25, 2014

toehorse
Apr 7, 2006
The university system is out of money and we are out of military base discs. Can someone send me some money to donate to the research cities?

EDIT: problem fixed.

toehorse fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Jan 26, 2014

Lowen
Mar 16, 2007

Adorable.

e: Just a reminder to everyone to be careful what you post in here, this thread is readable by anyone on the internet.

Stuff that reveals the secrets of our empire should go in the goon readable only PGS thread.

Lowen fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Jan 26, 2014

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

Bugger - stuck in limbo again.
Sadly been too busy with work to make the most of the new ringworld I found (or scare the bloke next door with my fearsome harvester of doom)

Am I right in thinking that the AI is not too good on warp drive control? They are so slow in starting warp, but end up overshooting by miles, coming back, overshooting again, and just doing that for hours unless I turn it off when I'm close-ish. Maybe their aim is just a bit crap & a more experienced crew wouldn't be so crap? I don't know if I would trust a warp driven harvester on an AI mission...

That said, using warp 1 to zip around in-system is great! I am so going to accidentally dive into the sun though...

toehorse
Apr 7, 2006
As long as you warp towards the sun you will be okay. This is because the gravity well of the sun will automatically interfere with warp and shut it down making your speed zero before you get too close.

This does not happen with planets however and you could end smearing your craft across the ionosphere.

Murazor
Mar 9, 2011
Out of curiosity, how active is the goon community on SoH?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

Murazor posted:

Out of curiosity, how active is the goon community on SoH?

There's usually a couple of people around, but we need more!

Had one of my fleet blown up by TL15 pirates while I was offline in Gwasanaethau :(
It was already a bit bruised from trying to tackle a TL16 pirate station lurking in Solar System.

I hate bloody pirates!

E: And now there's TL10s on Marz! Grrrr!

OzyMandrill fucked around with this message at 12:21 on Feb 8, 2014

• Locked thread