Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid
Wonder how long it will be until someone as crazy as Haxus comes along and makes something like this again? Dude had a vision, but sadly making a playable game wasn't part of it.

I will never forget launching myself into the gas giant I orbited on the way to the moon on my first empire, also breaking up in atmo as the nice man over galaxy told me to hit full throttle to fly.

:rip:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Numinous
May 20, 2001

College Slice
I don't suppose anyone has heard if he is willing to share his code?

Granted I couldn't do half of what Haxus did but the foundation was there for a really really cool game.

Reicere
Nov 5, 2009

Not sooo looouuud!!!

Numinous posted:

I don't suppose anyone has heard if he is willing to share his code?
I doubt it, IIRC he built a fair chunk of it around his, commercial, CAD software.

Music Theory
Aug 7, 2013

Well, with this canceled... are there any games like it? I've never seen anything like Hazeron before, so it's pretty disappointing to see it go.

And here I thought the 11 posts were due to someone getting back into the game. :(

Freedonkeys
Jan 7, 2010
An update was posted today:

quote:

Shores of Hazeron is morphing into a different game. It may be back sooner than you think, sort of. Ship designs and DNA may play a role. Lots of juicy code needs to be distilled; we'll see what remains.

Check here once in a while for updates.

Who knows what we'll get, but I'm glad it's not being completely abandoned.

Variable Fighter
Aug 1, 2014

I hoped that Haxus would be too invested in the project to just abandon it so suddenly.

Cautiously optimistic about this.

Doubt that it will be the same massive online world though.

Reicere
Nov 5, 2009

Not sooo looouuud!!!
I'd bet he finally realized that he was building an empire simulator when he wanted to be making an coop space adventure game

Johnnyonoes
Feb 4, 2008
Hates people, but likes groups
It really too bad to hear of the game's demise. Really had something here, regardless of the jank factor.

Music Theory
Aug 7, 2013

Well, hopefully he'll follow through with the redesign and we'll get something even better.

Stereo
Feb 27, 2014

Get rekt son
Was reading the first few pages getting excited to play something like this.... Well gently caress me.

Lowen
Mar 16, 2007

Adorable.

In case anyone still cares:

Shores of Hazeron Front Page posted:

December 15, 2014

I've received a fair bit of e-mail asking for some sort of status on the future of this game project. I apologize for not answering every single one. This post will have to suffice.

Shores of Hazeron is a gigantic software project, perhaps more than I can get done. I've been working like a madman for months developing a smaller-scale game from the vast code base of SoH. The primary goal is to pull together a complete, concise, playable game that I could get done. It has of course taken longer than expected but its almost there.

Close on its heels, I have another game concept that I will likely pursue. It will also draw heavily from the SoH source code, though in an entirely different way. The goal of this game is the same as the first, to get it done, playable and posted.

After those two games are finished, I may return to working on Shores of Hazeron. I kind of miss it.

I hope that was enough information for the curious.

jhorphear
Apr 24, 2013

Ask me about telling people not to change my avatar
I absolutely loved the concept of this game, and was even able to force myself to play it for a bit. The game was about as unplayable as mortal online back during beta. If he can manage to get an engine to actually run the game he could have a serious money maker on his hands.

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets
Welcome to Gravity Well 6.

Haxus posted:

The original Gravity Well was developed in 1994. It was distributed around the world in many shareware software collections and on line.

Gravity Well closely followed the development of Dogs of War, a blatant knock-off of Milton Bradley's Axis & Allies board game. While I developed Dogs of War, my son asked me to make a game he could play. My answer to his request was Gravity Well. Windows was not a very good game platform at the time and I took it as a challenge to develop a fast action video game that ran natively on Windows. In the first version of Gravity Well, everything was drawn in lines using Windows GDI. By the time Gravity Well V was release, everything was drawn using OpenGL, barely.

People ask, "What game is Gravity Well like?" I would have to say that it's kind of like the original Asteroids game, with the addition of gravity and space ships and cities and planets and bombs and missiles and wormholes and...

I hope you enjoy playing Gravity Well. It's been a fun game to write.

The while the manual is online, the game itself isn't available for download or play yet, so I tracked down some footage of older iterations:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4iN9jXuv2Kc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SpyFe_lXzZQ

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Welp, I'm interested in hearing more as it becomes available. :catstare:

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Ground floor

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets

Haxus posted:

Some might say, "What? This looks kind of like Shores of Hazeron." Some old-timers might have said, "Shores of Hazeron has some similarities to Gravity Well." Looks can be deceiving. A lot of code was taken from Shores of Hazeron to make version 6 of Gravity Well. Similarly, early pieces of Shores of Hazeron were used to make version 5 of Gravity Well. They've always been kind of close to each other.

If you are looking for Shores of Hazeron, you may be disappointed. Gravity Well is not a scaled-down Shores of Hazeron. It is a distinctly different game with it's own set of rules. Don't make assumptions based on the way things worked in Shores of Hazeron.

Here are some notable differences between Gravity Well and Shores of Hazeron.
  • Gravity Well is played in a third-person view of your vehicle or the spacecraft it is aboard. Shores of Hazeron is played in first-person.

• Gravity Well vehicles and spacecraft can traverse wormholes without special drive units.

• Gravity Well wormhole travel is strictly from positive (blue) to negative (red). Entering a negative wormhole is deadly.

• Gravity Well atmospheres are for looks only. Atmosphere does not induce drag.

• Gravity Well does not include any reference to DNA or creatures. There are no creatures in Gravity Well.

• Gravity Well does not offer any kind of design system for things like buildings, spacecraft, vehicles or creatures.

• Gravity Well is a finite game played in a finite game space, unlike the rambling endlessness of Shores of Hazeron.

Definitely smaller in scope. I'll be checking it out though. v:shobon:v

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

Haxus posted:

Feb 10, 2015

I may have been pursuaded to revive this beast. Give me two or three weeks, maybe a little more.

There was some discussion on the topic here.

Haxus

http://gw.softwareengineering.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3&start=20

Just in time for my yearly week of Hazeron too.

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets
:getin:

Looks like it will be a smaller universe as well, which hopefully means there will be more interaction between player factions.

Mudlark
Nov 10, 2009
A few of my buddies and I were just reminiscing about this game; sitting on the bridge of our empire's flagship, slowly exploring new moons and jungle planets; reducing the hostile wildlife to ash as a few of us cleared off an LZ with our shuttle hanging in the air above us, raining death down on the indigenous fauna.

Our horrible tribe of lizard-people we liberated from a planet that quickly became our most prosperous colonies. Chasing the sun as it set on the horizon in our starting sailboat armada. Getting attacked by pirates and launching fighters from the planet to go destroy them after they cored our flagship.

90s as gently caress graphics aside, this was one of my favourite games of the last 10 years. Glad to see it's possibly coming back. :3:

SPERMCUBE.ORG
Nov 3, 2011

Space commies are th' biggest threat t' red-blooded American Freedom we got in th' future. So me and my boys got to talking over a few hot dogs the other day and this is what we came up with...

I knew it all along. I even kept the DNA file for Frogman so I'm ready to :getin: again.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
Hazeron is a loving awful game that looks like poo poo and plays worse somehow.

But I'm down to play again anyway.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot

Deki posted:

God yes.

Solvency
Apr 28, 2008

Trade, sir! Discover it! This is you, this is a clue. Get a clue, discover trade!

Deki posted:

It will be a good distraction until No Man's Sky which will likely be a very large disappointment.

toehorse
Apr 7, 2006
We should all be frogmen this time. Although wings would be nice...

toehorse fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Feb 11, 2015

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

toehorse posted:

IIRC it has wings, just hidden.

Which is great as it's too short to get on ships that aren't perfectly flat :v:

SPERMCUBE.ORG posted:

I knew it all along. I even kept the DNA file for Frogman so I'm ready to :getin: again.

I'm so ready to rock a Frogman. Death to the insect...thing.

Variable Fighter
Aug 1, 2014

I wonder if any of the designs or creature files will still work.
http://gw.softwareengineering.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3&start=40#p211 --- Bottom post.

SPERMCUBE.ORG
Nov 3, 2011

Space commies are th' biggest threat t' red-blooded American Freedom we got in th' future. So me and my boys got to talking over a few hot dogs the other day and this is what we came up with...

toehorse posted:

Like Bondematt said, Frogman has wings they're just stuffed inside his big dumb head.

Bondematt posted:

Which is great as it's too short to get on ships that aren't perfectly flat :v:

Look, there are sacrifices that come with being the master race. Stairs and all things derived from them are decadent reminders of a surface-bound existence anyway.

toehorse
Apr 7, 2006
I still have all the dickbutt ship designs. The goon empire shall rise again!

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot

I still remember the time we took over the planet of that one dickhead who thought he was a 40k space marine. :allears:

Karistar
Jan 5, 2012
Would be nice to bring back the Christmas Fairy. Without the legs being so short I have to literally fly into the ship, anyway.

toehorse
Apr 7, 2006
The new Hazeron welcome page is up!

http://hazeron.com/welcome.html

toehorse
Apr 7, 2006
Also, does anyone have the old military base design? The pyramid one? It was a pretty good setup.

Right before Haxus shut it down, he introduced a butload of new ammo types. There was radiation, disease, and poison bullets. He also made ammo based weapons a lot more effective, especially large rockets. The disease weapons once they penetrated the shields would infect the crew and slowly kill them off. I forsee much goonery with this.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

toehorse posted:

The new Hazeron welcome page is up!

http://hazeron.com/welcome.html

I love how even his new website still looks like the 90's.

Do we know what all he is rolling back? He mentioned ships and at some point buildings, but I don't know if that was a for sure thing.

toehorse
Apr 7, 2006
I think we are all starting from zero again. Meaning we have to set up a new university world to get developed. Goons will be needed to setup colonies and to explore looking for juicy systems and ringworlds. We need this so we so we can have a decent tax base to support all the government research.

Also, I dont know is if he plans to include his new ship design system. He kept hinting at it before. It looked extremely difficult to use. Honestly I would be okay with boxy ships if they were easy to design.

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets
Meanwhile, I tracked down some footage of Gravity Well 6:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ko65dBMN2-k

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ssR8wu39Xb8

That chat sound... I'm - I'm having flashbacks of Hazeron :stare:

Variable Fighter
Aug 1, 2014

New Hazeron homepage: https://www.hazeron.com

edit: Forums are back also: http://www.hazeron.com/phpBB3/index.php

Variable Fighter fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Feb 15, 2015

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot

I am so looking forward to playing this dumb game again.

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets

Anticheese posted:

I am so looking forward to playing this dumb game again.

I agr-

Haxus posted:

I'm going to make the download free so potential players can be sure it runs on their computer.

Then I'm going to charge a monthly fee.

Uh...

Haxus posted:

I am going to charge $10 per month to play. I will also add a Donate button for those who feel peculiarly generous.

:negative:

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot

What the gently caress, I'd donate to keep the lights on (especially if there's a meter for how much is absolutely needed), but no one pays tenbux a month for top-tier titles, let alone Hazeron. I thought the plan was to put this thing back up while he works on other stuff.

Edit: wasn't the change to require bullion accompanied by a libertarian screed?

Anticheese fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Feb 15, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid
The max population of this game just went from the number of people that have gone to space down to the number of people who have been to the moon.

Edit: Looks like the servers are up, can't make an account and it won't recognize my old one. Wonder how long until he plans to open the floddgates?

Bondematt fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Feb 15, 2015

• Locked thread