Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
-Get the wife a new (to her) vehicle. Something like a Ford Escape, Mazda Tribute, or CRV type vehicle.
-Use her old car as a DD
-(Much later in the year) Consider swapping my truck for either a 7.3 diesel or a Jeep. Would really like something with a manual transmission, though I've been told for both diesels and jeeps this is a Bad Idea™.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

EightBit posted:

I drive a manual Wrangler and it does fine rock crawling and driving on the road. Most OTR trucks are manual transmissions with a ridiculous number of gears and a big fuckoff diesel.

See, that's my thinking. Supposedly manuals are weaker in diesels and the mfg won't service them or they wear out sooner or some other bs I've not gotten to look into. In a Jeep, all I plan to do is some mild offroading; I don't want to rock climb or anything like that. Just wanna go out in the woods to camp or fish and not worry about getting stuck.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
New plan, provided I have a job by tax time:
Trade in wife's car plus tax return on a Mazda tribute/Whatever
Grab a cheapo 5spd Civic (or other 4cyl) as a beater DD
Save for my Jeep/Diesel
Enjoy life :whatup:

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

8ender posted:

I've been looking at cheap 4 cylinder beaters to put a million miles on and right now the Focus and Cobalt both have my eye. They're both dirt cheap used and both seem to be fairly bulletproof.

I see a lot of them at work and they seem pretty cheap nd easy to work on. They're everywhere, so I'm sure junkyard panels would be a dime a dozen, too. Honestly, a car I give no fucks about at all sounds like a lot of fun.

• Locked thread