Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Heat Wave, one of Flash's longest-standing Rogues, appeared with Captain Cold at the end there. We've also met Weather Wizard's brother in the pilot, Multiplex was a Firestorm villain, and The Mist was a Starman villain.

Right, I wasn't really meaning to focus on who got whose villain but rather on the ones not created by the collider accident. Thanks for the assist on Heat Wave.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

AzraelNewtype posted:

They had to loan that one to Ollie, as he was portrayed by Yet Another Spartacus Alumnus. It just wouldn't be proper otherwise.
Well, Arrow has a Prison Break actor so I'm guessing there's gonna be an exchange at some point.

Flash is (was, I guess until the mid-season break is over) the better comic-book show but I do think they made a mistake in making Barry and Iris foster siblings in that Barry's crush comes as hella creepy. Same with making Eddie as a sort of antagonistic figure to the Flash. It reeks of the writers wanting for the viewer to eventually turn against Eddie because he is a hindrance to The Flash and therefore wanting for him to end his relationship with Iris, not because he is bad for her, but because Barry doesn't like him. Which is kinda hosed up.

Was Taters
Jul 30, 2004

Here comes a regular
My biggest problem with Flash looks like it will be a longstanding one:

Hey Iris, please don't do a thing?
Iris: *does thing*

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Iris is Lana 2.0 right down to lackluster acting skills.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

omnibobb posted:

Dont care. Its fun.

I have to assume that you have never watched a television, or perhaps had never seen a mechanical device that could produce light at all.

Was Taters
Jul 30, 2004

Here comes a regular

Rhyno posted:

Iris is Lana 2.0 right down to lackluster acting skills.

She's better as an actress, but it's that same problem of the team wanting to get all the cards on the table too fast. Their relationship doesn't even feel organic and we can already tell it's going to be a watcher-irritant -although Tumblr has taken to it, I guess. SHoulda hooked him up with Felicity because it'd make both shows less annoying.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I too am disappointed they haven't completely resolved this love plot in 10 episodes of the first season of this show.

Was Taters
Jul 30, 2004

Here comes a regular

zoux posted:

I too am disappointed they haven't completely resolved this love plot in 10 episodes of the first season of this show.

That's not the annoyance at all, little zouxzoux! The annoyance is that it is there at all.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Well let's make a list of all superhero TV shows and movies that don't have a romance subplot.

Was Taters
Jul 30, 2004

Here comes a regular

zoux posted:

Well let's make a list of all superhero TV shows and movies that don't have a romance subplot.

And then send them to me because I want them.

It's ok to talk about the things you don't like. I mean, are you going to get your knickers in a bunch if we also talk about murdered mothers being a painful trope?

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

Was Taters posted:

And then send them to me because I want them.

It's ok to talk about the things you don't like. I mean, are you going to get your knickers in a bunch if we also talk about murdered mothers being a painful trope?

Constantine isn't a superhero show, but there's no romance subplot as far as I can tell. It's also got a few actually good episodes.

Was Taters posted:

SHoulda hooked him up with Felicity because it'd make both shows less annoying.

And then we could transfer her and Brandon Routh over to The Flash and it could be DC: Team Science and I'd have zero reason to ever watch Arrow again.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib

zoux posted:

Blade! Further proves that Blade is the best comic movie ever.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Agents of SHIELD's main love plot is Nazi LePew stalking Skye because "I hate your facist guts" keeps bouncing off his crazy, does that count?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Also The Avengers :twisted:

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

zoux posted:

Also The Avengers :twisted:

Well if you read my tumblr you'll clearly see that Tony and Steve definitely want to be together because

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

bairfanx posted:

Constantine isn't a superhero show, but there's no romance subplot as far as I can tell. It's also got a few actually good episodes.

And then we could transfer her and Brandon Routh over to The Flash and it could be DC: Team Science and I'd have zero reason to ever watch Arrow again.

If you aren't watching Arrow for Stephen Amell, you're watching it wrong (also Diggle).

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Are there salmon ladder scenes in the season 3 of Arrow?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Madkal posted:

Blade! Further proves that Blade is the best comic movie ever.

I am pretty sure that almost half the movie is about a girl who has the obvious hots for Blade, even though he acts all Miller Batman about it.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

fatherboxx posted:

Season 3 of Arrow had a boxing glove arrow (it was better than you'd think).

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

fatherboxx posted:

The Flash does the salmon ladder in Arrow s3

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

zoux posted:

PERFECT

Sanschel
Aug 9, 2002

zoux posted:

Vibe attempts the salmon ladder in Arrow s3

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

http://i.imgur.com/oONidcl.gif

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Lurdiak posted:

I am pretty sure that almost half the movie is about a girl who has the obvious hots for Blade, even though he acts all Miller Batman about it.

And then Blade 2 has the vampire lady love interest. Trinity doesn't but that's just because it would have required Snipes to actually act.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Lurdiak posted:

Blade almost got laid in the sequel: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IDtqNdJuixU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Blade 2: Blaid.

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

Skwirl posted:

If you aren't watching Arrow for Stephen Amell, you're watching it wrong (also Diggle).

Best Diggle scene was his reaction to Barry's superspeed. And Amell strikes me as one of the most boring, generic blonde-haired white dudes, which, I know, that works for Ollie, but I'm not watching the show for the second most boring character on it (because drat is Roy basically worthless).

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

bairfanx posted:

Best Diggle scene was his reaction to Barry's superspeed. And Amell strikes me as one of the most boring, generic blonde-haired white dudes, which, I know, that works for Ollie, but I'm not watching the show for the second most boring character on it (because drat is Roy basically worthless).

You should look up Amell's Facebook and all the stuff he's done because of the show (especially his charity work) because he's a great guy and charismatic as hell even though the show doesn't always let him be it.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Waterhaul posted:

You should look up Amell's Facebook and all the stuff he's done because of the show (especially his charity work) because he's a great guy and charismatic as hell even though the show doesn't always let him be it.

His acting skills have grown with every season as well.

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

Waterhaul posted:

Huh, okay then. It's nice to see he's a good dude.

Rhyno posted:

His acting skills have grown with every season as well.

And yeah, I still think he's kinda bland and every flashback scene makes me cringe, but modern day Ollie does seem much more believable than he did in season 1.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

bairfanx posted:

And yeah, I still think he's kinda bland and every flashback scene makes me cringe, but modern day Ollie does seem much more believable than he did in season 1.

I actually suspect that part of that is intentional - in season 1 we were seeing modern Ollie after five years of what we thought was isolation and turned out to be Reams Of Bullshit, but either way, he's still a trauma victim. It's going to take time for him to start to interact with other people like, you know, a human, and that's why we've seen him slowly get more and more natural.

I may be giving the writing staff too much credit there (God, I wanted to strangle his sister in season 1 after she was all 'why aren't you acting like you used to' and he never bothered to say 'Because I've been trapped on a deserted island for half a decade, it was kind of a life-changing experience, lady'), but that's how I rationalize it. A lot of the things that bothered me in season one have turned out to be excellent groundwork for later seasons, so maybe they've got a whole big picture thing going.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Waterhaul posted:

Honestly, I laughed way more than was probably warranted at the one-liner he cracked on FB when he got put on some "10 Coolest Straight People in 2014" list for an LGBT site.

Amell: I'm straight?!

EDIT: Yeah, him being closed-off and stiff in S1 was intentional. He talked about being frustrated at the criticism of that part of his performance when he was on Aisha Tyler's podcast. "No, I'm not stiff, OLIVER's stiff!"

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Yeah Amell is the polar opposite of Tom Welling in terms of supporting his show and his character. DC made him the MC for their Comic Con TV rollout and he's often sporting a Flash hat. He's great with fans and basically I...I'm super jealous of his wife.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

I don't actually give a poo poo how nice Amell is (I mean it's better than him being an rear end in a top hat, but it's sort of whatever) but I think he does a really good job of portraying multiple sides of the same character. It's slightly reminiscent of Christian Bale as Batman, where both public Oliver Queen and The Arrow are masks he wears and the real person is this amalgamation of the two that you only see in his cave with Diggle and Felicity.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

from New Zealand. Mmwuh!

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Here is some worldly advice from New Zealand comic Bogor for BSS goons entering the 2015 year.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
There's only 1 Marvel Comic out today?!?!

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Gatts posted:

2 I thought

chime_on
Jul 27, 2001

Gatts posted:

There are at least two-- Miracleman and SHIELD.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

Gatts posted:

The week between Christmas and New Years is almost always light. Some years you're lucky to get 1 comic from your favourite publisher.

• Locked thread