Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Jesus Christ. Dark Horse isn't going anywhere. Star Wars isn't even 10% of their output these days and they publish new projects every month.

Sin City, Hellboy, Alien, Buffy, Mass Effect, The Strain (soon to be a show). Hell they have Halo now. Gerard Way's Killjoys and other work are staples of DH. The new Tomb Raider is there, they have Terminator, loving CONAN, in addition to their extensive series of classic reprints.

Everyone at DH knew this was coming the second Disney purchased Lucasfilm. They've been preparing for this for months. Yeah it will hurt them but they're not going anywhere.

Rhyno fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Jan 5, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Black Widow looks decent but if she even loving mentions the phrase "RED IN MY LEDGER", I'm dropping the poo poo out of it

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
The Red Ledger Pt. 3: Cognitive Recalibration.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home
I think the phrase has actually been used in the solicits.

Sundowner
Apr 10, 2013

not even
jeff goldblum could save me from this nightmare
When is the Forever Evil stuff going to end? I'm finally going to start putting some ongoing DC books on my ~first ever~ pull list this week but I don't want to jump in the middle of the Forever Evil stuff. Seems like the majority of books this month that I'm interested in are still labelled "FOREVER EVIL tie-in!" in solicitations.

Also are there any new arcs starting this month? I know Aquaman just started a new arc last week so I'm probably going to grab that back issue and throw it on my pull list for a while. Anything else worth picking up now rather than later? I see Green Arrow is on the second issue of a new arc?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Sundowner posted:

When is the Forever Evil stuff going to end? I'm finally going to start putting some ongoing DC books on my ~first ever~ pull list this week but I don't want to jump in the middle of the Forever Evil stuff. Seems like the majority of books this month that I'm interested in are still labelled "FOREVER EVIL tie-in!" in solicitations.

Also are there any new arcs starting this month? I know Aquaman just started a new arc last week so I'm probably going to grab that back issue and throw it on my pull list for a while. Anything else worth picking up now rather than later? I see Green Arrow is on the second issue of a new arc?

Get Green Arrow starting from 17.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Sundowner posted:

Don't be too worried by that, FE is contained in the main series,a couple of minis and only three series are directly connected: JL, JLA and supposedly, Nightwing. If you were interested on one of those you're utterly hosed though :v:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Don't be too worried by that, FE is contained in the main series,a couple of minis and only three series are directly connected: JL, JLA and supposedly, Nightwing. If you were interested on one of those you're utterly hosed though :v:

There's also ToS Pandora, ToS Phantom Stranger, Constantine and 4 FE minis that DC swears are essential to the whole mess.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

bobkatt013 posted:

Get Green Arrow starting from 17.

Yeah, GA 17 was basically a soft reboot on the book and a good jumping on point for the series.

Sundowner
Apr 10, 2013

not even
I'll definitely be collecting back issues from there as I've heard it's a good place to jump in, but is it still worth it to put it on my pull list going forward? I'm a fan of the hero, I'm just not sure what the books are like right now but if the general consensus is good then I'll probably put it on for a while and see for my self.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Sundowner posted:

I'll definitely be collecting back issues from there as I've heard it's a good place to jump in, but is it still worth it to put it on my pull list going forward? I'm a fan of the hero, I'm just not sure what the books are like right now but if the general consensus is good then I'll probably put it on for a while and see for my self.

Yes Lemire is writing a really good Green Arrow

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Here are some series with recent new arcs/jumping-on points:

Green Arrow #17 as above.
Swamp Thing #19 is a new, excellent run by Charles Soule. Doesn't heavily rely on previous issues.
Batman #21+ is a year long origin arc that is very good and absolutely jump-on-able (e: I'd include #0 if you can find it. Sorta sets it up.)
Action Comics from #25 is a new author and a great change. Starts on a Batman Zero Year tie-in, but it's very stand-alone and good. Just young Supes rescuing folks from a storm in Gotham.
The Green Lantern books got all new creators at issue 21. Red Lanterns is especially good, same writer as Swamp Thing.
Justice League 3000 and Harley Quinn are brand new and are really fun so far.

Animal Man and Wonder Woman are my favorite series but you can't really start those anywhere but #1.

e: Oops. Added a few things and edited after you quoted me, quick guy.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Jan 6, 2014

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Rhyno posted:

There's also ToS Pandora, ToS Phantom Stranger, Constantine and 4 FE minis that DC swears are essential to the whole mess.

Pandora, PS and Constantine are kind of its own thing with barely any connection to FE so far. Were less issues I would be more interested on Blight to be honest, douchebag Constantine is never a bad thing.

Dark_Tzitzimine fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Jan 6, 2014

Sundowner
Apr 10, 2013

not even

Teenage Fansub posted:

Yup GA 17. Swamp Thing had a new run from #19 that's excellent and approachable without the previous issues. Action Comics from #25 is a new author and is a great change. The Green Lantern books got all new creators at issue 21. Red Lanterns is especially good, same writer as Swamp Thing. The Zero Year arc in Batman (#21+) isn't too old and should be jump-on-able.

Animal Man and Wonder Woman are my favorite series but neither have a great jumping on point other than #1.

I actually have unread issues 23-25 of Batman Zero Year with the intention of getting the back issues on eBay as well as the latest books this week at my LCS if possible. I've put Red Lanterns on my planned pull list as well earlier because I heard it was pretty good lately and Supergirl is becoming a Lantern? I think I'll wait on Swamp Thing, Action Comics and Green Lantern. I don't doubt they'll be good but I just don't want to overload. While it's probably not a ton compared to others, I'm going to be putting 16 books on this pull list this week. Thankfully about half comes out over the course of the month rather than all this Wednesday, but still. 3 books on my list are minis ending soon, though!

I'm going to pick up Wonder Woman in trades soon then I'll probably catch up digitally with the non-trade issues THEN go current, as well as finally get Batman V2 and 3 in trades so adding that to my pull actually makes sense.

Also thanks in general guys, y'all are cool. If I didn't have this thread to keep asking silly questions so frequently I'd probably not be reading and loving as many books as I am lately. So Thanks!

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Were less issues I would be more interested on Blight to be honest, douchebag Constantine is never a bad thing.

Read 300 issues of Hellblazer.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

irlZaphod posted:

Black Widow looks decent but if she even loving mentions the phrase "RED IN MY LEDGER", I'm dropping the poo poo out of it

I feel like I've seen arguments about that phrase before, but I know jack poo poo about Black Widow, so I don't know what the controversy is. What's up with the ledger thing?

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Crowetron posted:

I feel like I've seen arguments about that phrase before, but I know jack poo poo about Black Widow, so I don't know what the controversy is. What's up with the ledger thing?

Natasha has this dumb speech in the Avengers film where she's heroing because she's trying to make up for past mistakes and has killed a lot and has a lot of "red in the ledger". Because of this pretty much any story since the film that has used her as a proper character has had her break down a bit because REDINTHELEDGER as if it's all the character is about. Or that for some reason Natasha has only recently been unable to handle the fact that she's been a spy for the last 30+ years.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Waterhaul posted:

Natasha has this dumb speech in the Avengers film where she's heroing because she's trying to make up for past mistakes and has killed a lot and has a lot of "red in the ledger". Because of this pretty much any story since the film that has used her as a proper character has had her break down a bit because REDINTHELEDGER as if it's all the character is about. Or that for some reason Natasha has only recently been unable to handle the fact that she's been a spy for the last 30+ years.

She did just have her mind seriously hosed with and she killed a good friend.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

bobkatt013 posted:

She did just have her mind seriously hosed with and she killed a good friend.

Yeah but that always happens to her and it's more the phrase REDINTHELEDGER constantly appearing.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

The phrase as used in the Avengers film is so hilariously overwrought and stupid on it's face that I like to think all the writers who have adopted, or referenced, it are just taking the piss.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Dan Didio posted:

The phrase as used in the Avengers film is so hilariously overwrought and stupid on it's face that I like to think all the writers who have adopted, or referenced, it are just taking the piss.

It's almost 100% guaranteed that they're being pressured by editorial to include it, just like editorial forced Back in Black and Organic Web-Shooters and all those conveniently timed stories featuring whatever bad guy is in the latest film adaptation.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Organic 4 lyf, tho.

I don't know that editorial would force that specific and small of a thing, the wider story beats, definitely. That seems more to me like writers just jumping on a way to draw their work, in some small way, closer to the popular thing for the mythical layman and woman who goes out and buys comic books after seeing the comic book movie.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

The Red in the Ledger stuff isn't the kind of editorial mandated thing. There are a lot of Marvel creators who think that the Avengers film is the best characterisation of the character and want to fit more of it into the comics.

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd

Waterhaul posted:

The Red in the Ledger stuff isn't the kind of editorial mandated thing. There are a lot of Marvel creators who think that the Avengers film is the best characterisation of the character and want to fit more of it into the comics.

Hmm. Now they have red in their ledgers.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Dan Didio posted:

Organic 4 lyf, tho.
Organic sucks because the location doesn't make any sense and it disconnects Peter's intelligence from his superhero persona :colbert:

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Ghostlight posted:

Organic sucks because the location doesn't make any sense and it disconnects Peter's intelligence from his superhero persona :colbert:

Hey, how 'bout I shove you in a fuckin' locker, smart guy?

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

I didn't mind the organic webshooters but god drat that story which introduced them loving sucked.

Jenkins did great work on Spider-Man then he seemed to just suddenly forget how to write (and had Ramos as an artist, which didn't help).

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

What was it, the Other?

Sanschel
Aug 9, 2002

Lurdiak posted:

It's almost 100% guaranteed that they're being pressured by editorial to include it, just like editorial forced Back in Black and Organic Web-Shooters and all those conveniently timed stories featuring whatever bad guy is in the latest film adaptation.

Or like when Mystique and Toad suddenly looked like naked Rebecca Romijn and Ray Park with fake teeth and everybody just shrugged and said "secondary mutations, yo."

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
Organic webshooters are just gross. Who wants to see Spider-Man expel stuff from an orifice at criminals? No thanks.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Ghostlight posted:

Mechanical webshooters are stupid because Peter's "spider" abilities then boil down to able to climb walls. Spiders aren't exactly known for their strength or danger sense.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

I don't think it would even occur to most people to write down "can climb walls" on a list of spider-like attributes. It's certainly not in his theme song.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Organic webshooters are just gross. Who wants to see Spider-Man expel stuff from an orifice at criminals? No thanks.

I'm droolin'.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Does he still run out of webbing, then? I used to read him while he was still using web-shooters.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

muscles like this? posted:

Mechanical webshooters are stupid because Peter's "spider" abilities then boil down to able to climb walls. Spiders aren't exactly known for their strength or danger sense.

There's a comic that's much more spergily accurate in its spider-powers. It's called Spinnerette. :(

I think saying they're "stupid" is point-missing? Pretty much everything about Spider-Man (or, well, a majority of superheroes) is a bit nonsensical, but trying to make changes in the name of versimilitude mostly just exacerbates the nonsense more often than not. At least, from what I've seen in too many comics.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib
I was trying to find something that could explain if spider's really have a "spidey-sense" and came across this.

Enjoy some learning.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Madkal posted:

I was trying to find something that could explain if spider's really have a "spidey-sense" and came across this.

Enjoy some learning.

It turns out that Reasonably Biologically Accurate Spider-Man would actually be pretty awesome. "Is he strong? Listen bud, he's got massive fluid reserves in his torso that he can squeeze into his legs to suddenly burst into the air and leap across a football fiel-ud!"

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

Schneider Heim posted:

Does he still run out of webbing, then? I used to read him while he was still using web-shooters.

For a while after they reinstated the mechanical webshooters, he was running out of webbing every loving issue.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
I remember seeing once some cable show on "while it was still a learning channel" Discovery that was trying to see real-world equivalences of comic book super powers. Regarding the "Spidey-Sense", he picked the wrong animal. Scientists can't seem to explain why flies seem to have that inherent ability, actually. They seem to have a sixth sense of knowing when danger is coming from any direction, regardless of if they're on the ground or in the air, and of wind flow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
When did Spider-Man have organic web shooters? Was that during JMS?

• Locked thread