Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

StumblyWumbly posted:

I'm not at a jumping off point on BPRD yet, but they should really think about some kind of conclusion at some point. The apocalypse has been rolling for an anticlimactic length of time

It has only gone on half the time as War of the Frogs. I also assume that they have to be on a sort of holding period for Hellboy in Hell. There is no way that its not going to end with him returning to help them end it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

2014 The year of Madman. We are getting Madman 3D this year!!

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Well goodbye Dark Horse

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

redbackground posted:

They'll still be able to sell their old/current output, right?

Can Marvel reprint ROM?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Dr. Hurt posted:

This really is the critical moment for Dark Horse, especially since Hellboy/BPRD won't be there forever.

Can they move to Image?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Sundowner posted:

When is the Forever Evil stuff going to end? I'm finally going to start putting some ongoing DC books on my ~first ever~ pull list this week but I don't want to jump in the middle of the Forever Evil stuff. Seems like the majority of books this month that I'm interested in are still labelled "FOREVER EVIL tie-in!" in solicitations.

Also are there any new arcs starting this month? I know Aquaman just started a new arc last week so I'm probably going to grab that back issue and throw it on my pull list for a while. Anything else worth picking up now rather than later? I see Green Arrow is on the second issue of a new arc?

Get Green Arrow starting from 17.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Sundowner posted:

I'll definitely be collecting back issues from there as I've heard it's a good place to jump in, but is it still worth it to put it on my pull list going forward? I'm a fan of the hero, I'm just not sure what the books are like right now but if the general consensus is good then I'll probably put it on for a while and see for my self.

Yes Lemire is writing a really good Green Arrow

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Were less issues I would be more interested on Blight to be honest, douchebag Constantine is never a bad thing.

Read 300 issues of Hellblazer.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Waterhaul posted:

Natasha has this dumb speech in the Avengers film where she's heroing because she's trying to make up for past mistakes and has killed a lot and has a lot of "red in the ledger". Because of this pretty much any story since the film that has used her as a proper character has had her break down a bit because REDINTHELEDGER as if it's all the character is about. Or that for some reason Natasha has only recently been unable to handle the fact that she's been a spy for the last 30+ years.

She did just have her mind seriously hosed with and she killed a good friend.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Soonmot posted:

Nope, that single issue hit a different annoying teen hero trope on every page. It's fair to say that I'm still annoyed that Dick Ryder is in limbo with this new kid flying about and the Nova Corps no where to be found, but I gave it an honest shot based on the FP thread and goon acclaim.

It's probably not as bad as the Loeb issues (I didn't even give those a shot), but it is still not good.

If Richard is not around then there is no Nova Corps. He took it all with him, except for Sam's dads.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Teenage Fansub posted:

Wow. Vertigo can't be too happy about a Snyder creator owned going to Image.

Once Fables ends Vertigo is dead.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Madkal posted:

Vertigo is going through a mini-resurgance with Trillium, Unwritten coming back this year, Hinterland getting some good reviews etc. However, If Carey and Lemire jumped ship then poo poo might be hitting the fan.

Unwritten is ending this year and so is Trillium.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Dan Didio posted:

What are Icon and Vertigo's licensing rights situations like? I imagine it's all creator-owned? I know Image assures the creators they distribute for that they're free to license and option their series as they see fit.

I am pretty sure Icon is the same as image as Powers is creator owned. The only thing that could have happened is Bendis and Oeming signed it to Marvel.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Zachack posted:

Since the topic is UK writers, I just finished Moore's run on Supreme and who was Billy Friday supposed to be? Millar? Ennis? A pastiche of writers that symbolize that era? A couple times it felt like something very specific was being referenced but without having read every comic ever I wouldn't be able to place it.

Also I'll never get over how Liefeld was the starting point for stuff like Supreme or the current runs of Prophet and Glory.

Jimmy Olsen

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

CapnAndy posted:

Which was at least funny as hell, because the whole thing was a sharp parody of cheap "one night in a girl's school" stroke-books.

Also a lot of modern versions have the Invisible Man as a rapist.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Madkal posted:

Here's a strange question. Which comicbook character has been shat upon by the universe most (figuratively speaking). There was talk in the worst runs thread about Skin who died rather acrimoniously, had his name misspelled on his tombstone and had Jubilee proclaim that she wanted to sleep with him while he was still alive. I found this all funny in an absurd way, but it also got me thinking who has the worst life in comicbooks. One filled with suffering and failure with very few bright spots.

John Constantine has to be up there. Also Chaz since he is John's friend and does not die. John friends who die are also not lucky as they are usually being tirtured in hell. Daredevil also has a lovely lovely life 90% of the time.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Halloween Jack posted:

I don't even understand why they need guest stars' permission to release the episodes.

Why? The appeared on the show and due to the way contracts are written deserve to get something for the episodes they are in. Also some are uncredited, unpaid walk-ons. They do not have the video rights to show them.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Halloween Jack posted:

I agree, I just don't know why the contracts were structured so as to allow them to rebroadcast on television forever and ever but not do a home video release.

The idea of releasing shows on homevideo was a sort of recent idea. I mean in the 60s they would wipe shows since the idea of rebroadcasting them was foreign. It is the same reason music rights for some shows are such clusterfucks.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Parkreiner posted:

Didn't Kirkman get his start writing Savage Dragon spinoffs, too? It was pretty close to Battle Pope either way.

Kirkman is just a child of the '90s in general-- it was very telling that one of the first things he did when he got his hands on Ultimate X-Men was introduce Ultimate Cable and Ultimate Mister Sinister.

They already introduced Ultimate Mister Sinister, but that version was just a crazy serial killer.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Look at this lovely art he did. Can not even keep the backgrounds the same

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Literally The Worst posted:

Man you need to read the Fourth World stuff. poo poo rules.

It is amazing

Here is some more classic Kirby

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You can also see how they considered more important. Notice how the artists are listed first, not the writers.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Mister Roboto posted:

Well, let's just be honest, art is probably slightly more important. Yes, it shouldn't be that way, but we all know of books that have terrible writing but good art and survive on that alone, whereas there's not as many that do the opposite.

I was just pointing out that it was the 90s and the fact that the artist were treated more important than the writers caused huge problems in the big two.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Halloween Jack posted:

Um, if Bendis has collapsed creatively I'd attribute it to being in charge of a bunch of franchise books. Good writing is not the highest priority on a book like X-Men or a crossover book and you aren't going to have the creative freedom that you would with Daredevil or Spider-Man.

Also Scarlet and Powers are still really good when they come out.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Senor Candle posted:

I was just flipping through previews and I thought this was important.

It is the most important thing

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Madkal posted:

Seeing as all I really know is Marvel and DC and the people who/write draw for them, I am looking to expand my horizons a little bit. I have been reading some Image titles Saga, Sex Criminals, Lazarous, Prophet) but that is mostly because I know of the people writing/drawing those comics. I fear though that there might be a whole range of good stuff out there that I don't know about so can some people throw me some recommendations from other authors/artists/titles outside the big 2 please?

Madman, The Atomics, Hellboy, BPRD

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Do not forget Mike Grell and Jim Steranko

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

prefect posted:

I still enjoy his art. It's got a chunky, square-jawed kind of thing that I find appealing for some reason. (Same for Frank Miller; the enormous hands are weird, but not weird enough to turn me off completely.)

I like his art. I plan on getting that big Sin City trade coming out later this year and still think his Daredevil and most of his Batman art is amazing. I just think that he currently does not work as a superhero artist and is fitted more for stuff that has the same tone as Sin City. It is violent, but its done to the ridiculous extreme.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Hakkesshu posted:

Okay, I read up on it a bit, and I see why those guys are upset, but I still think it's insane to start talking about moving to another forum because poo poo is going down in GBS/FYAD when some of us probably want nothing to do with those parts of SA in the first place.

Eh, I'll stop talking about it, I just don't think we should freak out over other subforums' internet drama.

Also to be honest where would we go? Have you ever been to the forums of comic sits like comic book resources?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Waterhaul posted:

You don't need to apologise. It's okay to talk about if people want or are concerned about things.

You're right though in that none of it really effects BSS and people can just continue to post as they always do. Personally i'd like to see more threads in BSS and am currently working on a few bigger ones myself but other than that I think BSS is a great community of people who like talking about comics and that's not going to change regardless of what goes on in the rest of SA.

I know I have said this before, but next week I will have a hellboy thread up. There is a lot of crazy poo poo going down and it has been 20 years since Seed of Destruction came out.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Metal Loaf posted:

I sometimes post there, but only in the Marvel subforum. I went into the DC subforum once and it was a whole lot of "Forever Evil is better than Earth 2" or "Mark Waid is the worst thing ever to happen to comics" and so on.

Try the X-threads.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

StumblyWumbly posted:

The internet it's just a passing fad, imo.

I seriously only read bss. I don't think the forums will shut down, and I don't think a separate comic forum will have a bigger draw than the SA comic forum.

And DT, I honestly appreciate hearing your opinions even tho I never agree with you ever :clint::hf::)

This series of tubes will soon be obsolete and it will be back to print

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Benito Cereno posted:

It's a steal at 75 DOLLARS. That book is a must-have for superhero fans or anyone interested in comics or pop art.

Well thanks I had to go and buy it. It just so happens I buy it on the 20th Anniversary of his death.
I imagine it looked like something like this.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Rhyno posted:

You're a son of a bitch. Where'd you score that?

I got mine for 20ish on ebay.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

CapnAndy posted:

In Heroclix, Kirk has a better than even chance of punching out the Enterprise.

It's a fun game.

Superman lost to Ali.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

theflyingorc posted:

It was requested that this discussion be taken out of the movie thread, as I agree it had nothing to do with movies.

This is about Y: The Last Man.

I don't think this is fair at all and that you were looking to be upset, but whatever. The meandering and preachy bits I can probably understand, but I think you read your expectations into the book real bad here.

Like, maybe the daughters of the Amazon went too far, but in general I thought it was pretty accurate as to what would happen immediately.

In Zombie movies things do go to poo poo as quickly. It was also not that society went to complete poo poo it was more the fact there was a huge shift in everything, and they had to figure out why. Also I did not find the Amazons that bad since doomsday cults are always around.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

theflyingorc posted:

I actually found the book to be very pro-women. Or rather, it treated women as people, not as a boring MRA-fantasy women who can't survive on their own or Xena Warrior Princess who doesn't need men for anything. Their society is hurting without dudebros, but it isn't worthless.

Also its the women who do everything and the man is pretty useless.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

redbackground posted:

I can't even imagine the sanitation and mental issues created by the instant creation of 4 billion+ corpses scattered everywhere. There's no cleaning that all up, to any reasonable degree. I think Y went into this a bit, but I don't remember, and I'm sure it would be much worse in actuality.

Stadiums have been turned into mass graves, and there are people who go around picking up the bodies.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

If I remember correctly they just gave theories. They really did not reveal what was the actual cause.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

theflyingorc posted:

It is really, really heavily implied to be based on a science experiment in the later volumes, and that Yorick survived due to his exposure to a science monkey's poop.

Which makes perfect sense if, y'know, it weren't for the simultaneous death.

The poo was confirmed, as for the why there is theories but never confirmation.

• Locked thread