Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Teenage Fansub posted:

You know about Marvel Unlimited? Depending on how much you were wanting to pick up, and how much reading you could cram into a month's subscription, and if you don't mind not actually owning the digital comics, it'd probably be a much cheaper prospect.

e: Marvel's reader at least on Android and computer browser is much worse, though.
I actually came to ask about Marvel Unlimited - their site isn't very precise on what you actually get. I couldn't really get comics very often before trade paperbacks due to the price, but I read the start of the X-Men recently and a couple of older Iron Man comics and I'm quite interested in reading the older issues.

They say there's a lot of archived comics, but they don't really go into detail if it's just certain issues, certain titles, certain characters, or anything. If I subscribed could I like, for instance, just read X-Men all the way from amoral manipulative Xavier to terrible company event Xavier? Or is it more focused on digital versions of six-month old comics?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Dan Didio posted:

Organic 4 lyf, tho.
Organic sucks because the location doesn't make any sense and it disconnects Peter's intelligence from his superhero persona :colbert:

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

I don't think it would even occur to most people to write down "can climb walls" on a list of spider-like attributes. It's certainly not in his theme song.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Comedy vote for Pariah.

Shat on by every existing DC universe and his only super power is crying.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

How was Teenage Mutant Ninja Thread not the first suggestion?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

On Saturday I sat in a pizzeria listening to the guys next to me have a real-life Goku vs Superman argument, but inclusive of other people in comics as well. I never thought anybody would ever actually have that argument, let alone decide that although Goku would beat Superman easily, he couldn't beat Flash "because Flash can run through time".

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

CapnAndy posted:

Okay, yeah, "nature" as a whole would make it in some form or another, but the mammals would be loving gone; the utopia of the epilogue's time-jump is wholly unbelievable. And we're overfishing species into extinction now, how viable would it really be if we were down to fish or soy for all our protein?
Probably pretty viable given that birds and fish are unaffected while the human population is halved, and farming land would be quite abundant since we'd no longer be using it to support the poor grain->protein return of a cattle industry. You'd probably see a boom in birds, too, as they and insects fill vacated niches in the ecosystem.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

To be fair, it's an imaginary snake god.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

^^^ I like Alan Moore as weird old non-comics person because that's kind of his whole point and it inherits a lot from Aleister Crowley style magicka.

I Before E posted:

Aren't they all?
I reserve judgement, but I meant like objectively even for Alan Moore.

quote:

Now, the only references there are to him, which are very disparaging, are in the works of the philosopher Lucien… Lucien explains that the whole Glycon cult was an enormous fraud, and that Glycon was a glove puppet. And I’ve got no reason to disbelieve that whatsoever. It sounds absolutely true, that yeah, the false prophet Alexander, who was the person putting on the Glycon show, had a large tame boa constrictor and he had the head of it tucked under his arm and draped over his shoulder he had a speaking tube that had been designed to look like this inhuman longhaired snake’s head with articulated jaws so that it would seem to speak. Yeah, that sounds about right. [chuckles] Of course, to me, I think that’s perfect. If I’m gonna have a god I prefer it to be a complete hoax and a glove puppet because I’m not likely to start believing that glove puppet created the universe or anything dangerous like that.
The main source of information we have on the god is literally from some guy going "look at these loving assholes worshipping this dumb poo poo".

Ghostlight fucked around with this message at 09:28 on Feb 20, 2014

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Literally The Worst posted:

Straight up if you don't think "Garth Ennis reminisces about reading FLESH!" is the best arc in comics, smh.
Well, I guess I should read Hitman.

Skwirl posted:

The major issue is that DC only has 2 characters that people want to see in theaters, where Marvel has a ton.
That's not true at all. I can think of half a dozen characters I'd love to see a movie of, one of which even already has a movie! The issue is that they sink their cash into the BIG TWO because those are guaranteed properties while every other property gets farmed out to whoever for script/direction and the quality, tone, and polish is all completely different. The core MCU movies are being treated the same as their universe - they look very similar in aesthetic to each other, and they've realised the value of securing actors so that they can do things like shove Hawkeye into a two-minute cameo in Thor so that people are like "oh that guy!" when they watch Avengers as opposed to DC who can't even (or don't care to) secure Batman's girlfriend in a trilogy.

Marvel's movies feel very centrally controlled so that they all work together as a single work, which reflects their one-world comic direction, while DC's only direction seems to be "Alan Moore is hot again? EXPLOIT EVERYTHING"

Know what would be loving awesome and different while capitalising on the monothematic focus of Marvel's movies? A period noir piece of Golden Age Sandman. I'm sure if someone pitched that to DC they'd fund it but only on the provision that it's set in the modern day and he has a full-black muscle suit with a dart-shooting hand-cannon; maybe a transforming motorbike?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Skwirl posted:

Green Lantern was a failure.

I meant people in general, not you specifically. I agree a period neo-noir (:spergin:) golden age Sandman film is a great idea, but no one would watch it, or Warner Brothers would destroy it in the process of making it, and still no one would watch it.
Well, yes, my point was WB would destroy it in the process because it doesn't fit their idea of what a comics movie is, and that idea is perfectly encapsulated in why Green Lantern (among many others) was such a terrible failure.

What makes you think nobody would watch it?
Simply removing 'Summer Action Blockbuster' from the equation actually seems ridiculously effective at disguising whether a movie is comic-inspired or not for the regular public, at which point all they care about is whether the movie looks interesting. There's a fairly established niche for highly stylised comic movies such as 300, Sin City, and Scott Pilgrim that all seemed to do pretty well, or even just straight comics movies that aren't superhero based, like Ghost World. I think there's a big reason DC's gotten so much traction on television series like Arrow and Smallville by simply removing the cape from their superheroes, and it's because it forces them out of their standard Superhuman Punches Things: Love Interest package.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

You are just hyper-focused on that Sandman example.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

This whole time I thought Guy Pearce was the Mandarin!

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Sarchasm posted:

Take it up with the French.
It's dumb even for the French. They added the 'p' because they wanted it to look like corpus.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

CzarChasm posted:

Yeah, but that was only Sinestro.
This is the pun dreams are made of.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

I just finished reading Bendis' Moon Knight run and I wanted to say how loving weird it is to see a comic where Spider-Man just stands around like he's any other hero. It didn't seem that incongruous when he was imaginary, but when it cuts to him in the Avenger's lounge and he's just standing there quipping it just seems wrong somehow.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

I would say that it was the hard one considering it's the only one of the three meanings that is almost exclusively encountered as a verb.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Daredevil can read ink as if it were braille. I don't think smelling the location of his too-90s inflammable signature is much harder.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Hercules has more of a crown. It's basically an Attic-style helmet with the top cut off because his hair is too pretty. A metal headband with sideburns built in.
It doesn't cover his neck or anything like Gambit's half-cowl does.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Didn't Lois win a pulitzer for her article about Superman getting his poo poo pushed in by Doomsday?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Or releasing 'digital TPBs' of events that collect all the issues into one readable line. I was reading Infinity on Marvel Unlimited and the comics have an actual flowchart of all the tie ins, but there's no way to just go "oh yes, I'd like to read what's going on over there"; you have to back out of the entire series, load a new one and select the right issue.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

prefect posted:

I totally understand why and how this would be awesome, but I can't help but feel guilty about the guys who have the actual physical real-world comic shops. Maybe it's wrong to feel guilty about taking business away from them, but I do.
I would too, but they're all Rhyno.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

There are only two types of people in the world. People who enjoy coffee, and people who drink American coffee.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Madkal posted:

Well how come Batman has never been arrested for assault and battery?
He has a corrupt police commissioner covering for him.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Karma Tornado posted:

Here's the lot of them on my Tumblr: http://drawingire.tumblr.com/post/84145646976/darkseid-is-dick-grayson-for-some-reason

I draw lots of dumb comic book nonsense but it never dawned on me to post it here before.
Those valentine's cards :swoon:

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Madkal posted:

I haven't read From Hell but I have heard it is quite the trip. I don't hate the movie that much but I understand that it has nothing really much to do with the book besides being both about Jack the Ripper.
From Hell is the sort of book you can spend months with, especially if you have the collected edition which includes a ridiculous amount of notes from Moore about the liberties he's taken for the sake of the story, disagreements in the theories as to how scenes went down, what authors he's taken specific ideas from, and background information on pubs that feature in the background of panels.

As a tale of weird esoteric conspiracy murders goes, it's quite interesting, but it really blossoms when you have the additional material revealing just how seriously Moore can take comic books.

Timeless Appeal posted:

It's not even the fact that V is simplified from an anarchist to just a dude supporting vague liberal democracy. In the comic, V kills someone by dressing as the devil, quoting the Rolling Stones, and feeding him a poisoned communion wafer. In the movie, he just like stabs the dude or something. The film really strips away a lot of the cool and interesting stuff from the book.
It also skips the inspector's LSD spirit journey to a concentration camp, and the fascist dictator jerking off to his computer. Though I think none of those were quite as damaging to what the book was trying to talk about as deciding to remove the rise to power through populism parallels between Norsefire and NSDAP in favour of a conspiracy terrorism to seize power parallel between the virus and the Reichstag Fire. Much the same way I feel that the movie's removal of Adrian and Manhattan's final dialogue in the Watchmen almost completely reverses the tone of the story.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

CapnAndy posted:

I defy you or any other defender of that movie to explain the ending to me.
Oh that's easy. It fades to black during the conversation between Bruce and his father because I fell asleep.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

I can't believe the question of life turned out to be "How much potassium was used by Jehovah dinos?"

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

zoux posted:

So that's what those huge rear end machines are for....

Do they ever show how Galactus actually eats a planet?
Like all people who get to his age, he eats through a straw.

This differs in Earth X continuity, where he skips all the preliminary steps and just goes straight to the fiery core for all the Celestial foetus he can jam past his teeth.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Since Preacher is on there, I think I'll mentally slip Enigma into the top 10 both because I think it's loving amazing, and because I lent it to a comics friend and he returned it in a huff saying "loving gay poo poo. And it didn't even have an ending!"

Also that Rolling Stones page is virtually unreadable.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Don't worry spergs, I've fixed it so the batsuit is now perfect.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

I didn't know they still released movies on VHS in 2011.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

TheManWithNoName posted:

Sue and Reed tried to move to the suburbs and wear disguises for a bit but then a neighbor got suspicious and sold them out to Mephisto.
To be fair to that nosy neighbour, she sold them out to a witch-hunter because she thought they were witches, and the witch-hunter went kind of mental and pulled up Mephisto because Sue and Reed kept insisting they weren't witches.

Gaz-L posted:

I don't know what's more dumb, the boob window outfit, or the retconned excuse (it was Malice taking her over) because only EEEEVIL women expose their cleavage!
I'm loathe to call it a retcon because it was very obviously a character arc that started with Malice taking her over (ostensibly as an excuse to change her character up a little with an easy-out) - but it was a loving awful outfit that had some other character every few issues comment on how loving awful and out-of-character it was, and the cleavage window was only one of several sins against good taste that that outfit had going on, so I would've accepted midichlorians as an excuse to get rid of it. She wore the costume for several issues after Malice was expelled, anyway.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

CapnAndy posted:

Money quote:
That's some prime Old Guy Racism right there. VCRs, for fucksakes!
There's that and like his examples of how stupid race-changing is are Gone With the Wind and Othello, works in which race plays a central part of the story. So he isn't just arguing that being white is essential to Johnny's character, but implicitly pushing that it's also part of the very foundation of the story of the Fantastic Four.

Oh, and this:

quote:

Sometimes it doesn’t even take race or gender swapping to create such a schism. Consider Storm, as we met her in GIANT-SIZED X-MEN 1:
2014-06-13_060754_Storm.jpg
Mysterious, ancient, unworldly. . . but within a very short time she was born in Harlem and grew up with the first part of Modesty Blaise’s origin. A completely different character (and tied to a specific bit of world history, the Suez crisis, that makes her my age!!).
Storm's "mysterious, ancient, unworldly" goddess of semi-naked Kenyan tribesman origin is so much more authentically black than being born in Harlem. Also it's not relevant at all to this discussion that Storm was going to be Typhoon until they went "hey, we should probably put a girl on the team" and gender-swapped her.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Waterhaul posted:

I swear if one of you jerks try to say a bad word about Moebius
He left us behind.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Hollismason posted:

It's loving hilariously bad.
Where would you rate it on a scale between RoboCop (2014) and Frank Miller's RoboCop?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Red Hulk was terrible because in the What If General Ross Was The Hulk? version Ross' moustache hulked out with him, setting a precedent that was discarded just because otherwise everyone would instantly know who red muscle dad was.

Gavok posted:

I remember they brought in a really obscure one in the early Joe Kelly days of Deadpool. I can't even tell you what his/her name is and I'm the goddamn Deadpool expert.
That issue is weirdly the only physical Deadpool comic I own.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Hakkesshu posted:

Obviously, but Beta Ray Bill is not literally Thor. Quote from Aaron: “This is not She-Thor. This is not Lady Thor. This is not Thorita. This is THOR. This is the THOR of the Marvel Universe. But it’s unlike any Thor we’ve ever seen before."

I'm curious to see what that means.
It means she's taking over Thor's titles just like when Eric Masterson was Thor. 'Thor' is both the character and the powers/position - it's not Earth X Thor where it is the actual character Thor as a woman, but a completely separate character who is taking over the position of Thor from Thor the character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

CapnAndy posted:

But they say in that statement "this is Thor, the character", which is why it's confusing. Especially when they do it while releasing a picture of Thor, the character right alongside her.
The one I read very unambiguously stressed that she was a completely new character and that Thor had lost the hammer to her.

• Locked thread