Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Waterhaul posted:

One of the other points is people finally starting to talk about the issue of sexual harassment in comics so at least there were a lot of baby steps done last year.

Not yet but Image Con is next week so I'd presume more details will come out then.

Also with talk of books that'll eventually come out.

Please tell me that's going to be the actual title that actually appears on the page with all the credits. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Moore's interviews in general have kind of taken on an air of obsessive compulsion in recent years and this one feels like the apotheosis of that. Like, he has to be absolutely clear about his opinions in the most detailed fashion possible lest people misattribute things to him.

He needs to write up an epic-length FAQ, post it somewhere, and then use his sorcery to destroy anyone who asks a question that's already answered.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

CzarChasm posted:

Oh, hey, remember when everyone was saying that a DVD boxed set of the 1966 Batman TV series was going to require an act of God?

Apparently God doesn't have anything better to do:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/tv/2014/01/15/batman-tv-show-complete-series-dvd/4496197/

Well, I'm happy for this. Hello new item for my x-mas list.

Reeeeally hoping they found a way to get all the stupid "head out a window" cameos to stay in. :pray:

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Metal Loaf posted:

It's actually kind of weird seeing Claremont and Byrne listed in the top writers of the mid-1990s. They did their best work in the 1980s so that's the decade I've always associated them with.

Then again, guys like Brian Michael Bendis and Geoff Johns are still indisputably top tier and they've been in comics for about fifteen years.

It seems like artists/creative types are generally recognized as great after having completed their greatest works, doesn't it? Once they're done, you can look back and say "drat, that guy's awesome", even if his actual skill has declined since the peak of his abilities. :)

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Waterhaul posted:

I think Chaykin is best treated like Claremont. They were both great at what they do but you don't want to read any of their stuff from the last few years. Any of Chaykin's superhero stuff anyway.

I still enjoy his art. It's got a chunky, square-jawed kind of thing that I find appealing for some reason. (Same for Frank Miller; the enormous hands are weird, but not weird enough to turn me off completely.)

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Literally The Worst posted:

They're in space, man. Red sun, no powers, shoot him with the phasers. Boom. Krypton's extinct.

Who says Superman has to follow them to the red sun?

Also, didn't he fly straight through a red sun while beating up Superboy Prime? It's not like he immediately loses his juice.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
I've just seen a Kickstarter that actually looks pretty cool: Comic Book People: Photographs from the 1970s and 1980s

These are my favorite pictures from the Kickstarter page. I don't think I need to label them. :)

Love that mustache. :allears:

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Hakkesshu posted:

When Kirby's on top he's incredible. But he's also made stuff that seems very low-effort. That's not necessarily a knock against the man, as that happens to all writers/artists.

I've been told that you should judge an artist on their best work. So if Picasso threw together a lovely painting while hung over one morning, you wouldn't use that as evidence that he was a lovely painter.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

theflyingorc posted:

You guys having the same avatar confused the hell out of me. I was wondering why this crazy person was arguing with himself.

Crazy people often argue with themselves. It's a thing they do.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

team overhead smash posted:

When I quickly looked at BSS before I went to work this morning, I thought I saw a post saying there was no point in X-men being published between 1995 and 2011 or something similar.

When I got home from work my first thought was obviously going to shout at this person for bad-mouthing Morrison's New X-men run but I can't find it. Any help?

d00gZ posted:

There's a very solid case to be made that Uncanny X-Men was loving pointless to read between 1991 and 2011.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Waterhaul posted:

Dan Didio was my only guy that cared about them but kept trying to make them happen when nobody cared.

But fine Tigra* then , ain't nobody going to go to bat for Tigra. :doom:

*I was going to use the Vision but I remember someone in the general threads saying they liked him.

I don't know that I ever liked Tigra, but I felt bad about some of the crap that happened to her during West Coast Avengers.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Metal Loaf posted:

The other guys on that team who are helping Graviton with his projects of evil were meant to represent the other fundamental forces. Graviton was gravity, I think an old Hulk villain called Zzzax was electromagnetism, and there were two new characters called Quantum and Halflife (not the Peter David bad guy) who were meant to be the strong and weak forces.

Zzzax was electromagnetism, and defeated by shooting a wire (connected to an arrow) through him into some water. Quantum was strong and punchy, and could create duplicates of himself until you cut off his supply of sunlight with a smoke arrow. Halflife had a "death touch" kind of thing, and could hang out in nuclear reactors. I don't remember how she got beat, but Graviton was the only one who was much of a threat.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Edge & Christian posted:

I think that's what makes him an interesting character. I'm not selecting the most badass characters to add to my Ultimate Avengers RPG Crew, but what amounts to a peacenik pacifist superhero/god is a much more interesting concept than like, Plaid Hulk.

Does an Ultimate Starfox exist?

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Hank Pym wasn't married to Kate Waynesboro. :ssh:

They MODOKed Kate Waynesboro? :(

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Sundowner posted:

How is Garth Ennis' Hitman? I won the first book for £1 on ebay.

It's very good, and has an issue with the best Superman characterization ever.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Creative decisions overruled by marketing? That's just the Mighty Marvel Method pioneered by Stan "The Man" Lee, True Believers!

That's got to be somebody just loving with him, right? Nobody would cargo-cult something like that for decades, right?

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Hakkesshu posted:

Well, okay, finding the show boring is perfectly sane, but the show was never, and is never, going to be about superheroes. I mean just the fact that it's called Agents of SHIELD says all you need to know.

They haven't done a good job of making the show exciting on its own, but I don't think its chosen topic is the problem.

They should have made it like Powers, where there are always superpeople involved in whatever they're dealing with, even if they're not the on-screen focus of attention.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
Do they have left-enants in the Green Lantern Corpse?

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
I can still hear Stan Lee's voice saying "Excelsior!" from the closing voiceover in "Spider-Man and his Amazing Friends". :allears:

(I just looked up some clips of the show on Youtube and wow, I remembered it being a lot more polished and high-quality than that.)

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
I had a pretty well-timed break, considering I've mostly read Marvel comics. I was out from ~1992 until ~2000, so I experienced enough Liefeld to know what it's about, but I avoided the high-water mark. :smuggo:

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Waterhaul posted:

Also a wild Grant Morrison comics appears

With an accompanying interview.

Needs more walls of Mr. A-style text explaining everything.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Alien Rope Burn posted:

There are some Morrison comics I really really like but I think he's gotten in the habit of mistaking obfuscation for sophistication, particularly in his DC output.

Seaguy! :doom:

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Rhyno posted:

Nobody thought anything would ever be as successful as the X-Men or Spider-man film franchises so those were Marvel's two biggest comic franchises. Add in that the F4 and Hulk films were not as successful or well received.

Don't forget the Captain America and Punisher movies.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Aphrodite posted:

There was also the Red Hulk.

The initial question implied that the main character of the comic was a hero, so I don't think that book counts.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Ghostlight posted:

Didn't Lois win a pulitzer for her article about Superman getting his poo poo pushed in by Doomsday?

I really hope that's how the article was headlined.

SUPERMAN'S poo poo PUSHED IN BY DOOMSDAY

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Senior Woodchuck posted:

Sadly, he's not taking the piss. This Is What Frank Cho Actually Believes.

(It's also how fanboys have been reading that scene for thirty loving years.)

It was a pretty badass beatdown scene, especially the Flash part. (They put that motherfucker in a hamster wheel; I would have been waaay angrier about it.)

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Hakkesshu posted:

Man, how that guy turned it around. 10 years ago he shouldn't have been allowed near kids.

Ultimately, it was good for his career to get busted with cocaine and a Wonder Woman costume. Scored him some comic-book cred.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Ghostlight posted:

Or releasing 'digital TPBs' of events that collect all the issues into one readable line. I was reading Infinity on Marvel Unlimited and the comics have an actual flowchart of all the tie ins, but there's no way to just go "oh yes, I'd like to read what's going on over there"; you have to back out of the entire series, load a new one and select the right issue.

I totally understand why and how this would be awesome, but I can't help but feel guilty about the guys who have the actual physical real-world comic shops. Maybe it's wrong to feel guilty about taking business away from them, but I do.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

bobkatt013 posted:

Daredevil, Powers, Torso, Jinx, Alias. His New Avengers starts out good, and I enjoy it until after Siege when it gets rebooted into Avengers and New Avengers. I really like Guardians of the Galaxy and his X-men is pretty good. His event books are not that great, but Dark Avengers is.

I'm also a fan of "Fortune and Glory", where Bendis talks about his adventures trying to get into Hollywood. It's a lot of fun.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Sundowner posted:

Not familiar with Land, am I right in assuming you meant by "art" that his work is traced from images of real people? Looks like that to me.

He's terrible, but he makes all his deadlines, so he gets work.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

zoux posted:

Honestly as someone who knows very little about comics, a comic shop can be kind of intimidating. I've gone into one a handful of times, but I've ordered all my trades off of Amazon and now I read exclusively digital comics through either Kindle, Marvel Unlimited or Comixology. I'm the same way with books too, though I used to go to the bookshop all the time. It's just better and more convenient to get the poo poo online, practically instantly, than to drive down to the local store and find out that they didn't have what you needed in the first place.

Isn't that true of any specialty-interest store? You're going to be intimidated by the stuff on the walls, the stuff the store people know (more than you do), and you'll probably feel intimidated by the other customers (they also know more than you do).

VVVV You have a point. :tipshat: :blush:

prefect fucked around with this message at 17:01 on May 1, 2014

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

zoux posted:

Who wants to fight about Rolling Stone's list of top 50 non superhero comics??. (Really I just want to know if I'd go far wrong as using that as a syllabus for reading good not cape books).

I don't think "Understanding Comics" is on their list. :doom:

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Len posted:

Why can't comic writers just get along?

It's easy enough to miss sarcasm (or other kinds of tone) in text; limiting yourself to 140 characters guarantees people are going to get into fights all the time.

zoux posted:

I don't read DC so what makes something the new-52est?

I'm not much of a DC reader myself, but I think it's because it's extra grim and gritty, and a guy's arm gets ripped off. http://comicsalliance.com/dcs-futures-end-0-free-comic-book-day-2014-review/

"Seriously, I cannot stress this enough and I don’t feel bad about spoiling it because it’s going to be free on Saturday: yet another arm is cut off in this book, and that is actually hilarious. It’s like DC had a corporate meeting ten years ago and realized they needed a trademark, like the “Stan Lee Presents” tag that used to run in Marvel books, and some bright-eyed young go-getter yelled out “dismemberment!” and it was 4:59 on a Friday and so that’s just what they went with. I swear to you, I laughed out loud reading it because it’s almost, almost, a parody of what DC Comics are like in the 21st Century, and I’d be tempted to believe that it was because the people who are credited with making it are certainly smart enough to realize what you’re doing when you write and draw the 47th arm-chopping since 2005. The problem is that I’m pretty sure it’s meant to be taken seriously. Like, very seriously. Like “golly, these icons of my childhood sure are grown up, I guess I don’t have to be embarrassed about them anymore” seriously."

prefect fucked around with this message at 14:27 on May 12, 2014

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Doctor Spaceman posted:

The New 52 is what you get when you try to repeat the 90s without having learnt a thing.

That's not fair -- they seem to have cut way down on the shoulderpads and belt pouches.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

:(

Teenage Fansub posted:

Kirby's OMAC, Rucka's Infinite Crisis OMAC miniseries (incl Countdown to IC one-shot), and Paul Pope's Solo story are all good stuff.
The N52 OMAC series was dumb short lived fun too.

The N52 OMAC was great -- it was Keith Giffen doing his damnedest to be Jack Kirby. :allears:

zoux posted:

I think it's obvious what the ultimate weaponized head is...

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

zoux posted:

*cough* Ruby Thursday.

Steve Gerber :allears:

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

McSpanky posted:

I always figured his claws have some kind of internal sheath thing to guide them through his hands and hold them in place when fully extended, which made a lot more sense when they retconned the mutant bone claws in.

I also thought something like this, plus I seem to remember something about his not being able to extend his claws if his wrist is bent wrong. Like there's a safety catch.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

zoux posted:

That's weird because on the Japanese language comics board I read there was just a huuuuuuge fight when a dude asked if he could get Remender's UXF run but flipped around the "right" way.

They read from right-to-left over there, don't they? Flipping comics around seems like it would be a sensible thing for them to do.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Rhyno posted:

Can we please not do this again?

Aw, you're no fun. :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Tarantino is definitely a comic fan, he's worked Silver Surfer into two movies. One he made himself (Reservoir Dogs has a huge loving poster in the background of a character's apartment, and it's quite intentional apparently), and Crimson Tide, which he did some script doctoring on and I believe he made Denzel Washington's character a Silver Surfer fan.

And when one of Tarantino's Reservoir Dogs characters describes Joe (the big bald boss guy), he says he looks just like the Thing.

Freddy Newandyke: [asked by Holdaway to describe Joe Cabot] You remember the 'Fantastic Four'?

Holdaway: Yeah, with that invisible bitch, 'Flame On!' and that poo poo?

Freddy Newandyke: The Thing; motherfucker looks like The Thing.

• Locked thread