Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sanschel
Aug 9, 2002

Lurdiak posted:

It's almost 100% guaranteed that they're being pressured by editorial to include it, just like editorial forced Back in Black and Organic Web-Shooters and all those conveniently timed stories featuring whatever bad guy is in the latest film adaptation.

Or like when Mystique and Toad suddenly looked like naked Rebecca Romijn and Ray Park with fake teeth and everybody just shrugged and said "secondary mutations, yo."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sanschel
Aug 9, 2002

Where does Neonomicon fit into this ungainly timeline of Moore's sexual penmanship? I simply must know how to properly catalogue my fish rape.

Sanschel
Aug 9, 2002

Zodiac and Vengeance were also pretty good, though the wasted potential is mostly that there's been no follow-up on Zodiac in the last three years.

Sanschel
Aug 9, 2002

Mimir posted:

If there's one thing we don't need in our modern comics, it's fun.

Tiny Titans was cancelled due to lack of limb trauma.

Sanschel
Aug 9, 2002

Wasn't there a goon run proto-BSS around the time Identity Crisis came out? I remember GBS getting flooded with comic threads and that offsite forum failed to divert the threads enough so BSS was created.

Sanschel
Aug 9, 2002

The site I was thinking of was sketchyorigins, which was apparently pre-IC because I found an old post from 2003. It's weird because I could've sworn that IC thread was the reason I got back into comics but apparently I'd already been back into them by then :confused:

Sanschel
Aug 9, 2002

Ghostlight posted:

To be fair, it's an imaginary snake god.

They're comic writers, imagination is their primary attack.

Sanschel
Aug 9, 2002

He did a one-shot with Chris Claremont called X-Women, about the titular X-Women having some weird adventure (Rogue inherited a yacht or some nonsense). Not much in the way of plot or story, it was clearly just Claremont setting up Manara for cheesecake panels, and all the women having the exact same face with different hair and skin tones got distracting.

Sanschel
Aug 9, 2002

For you western Washington goons, a friend of mine is hosting a screening of Legends of the Knight, the documentary about how Batman has inspired people, in Federal Way on April 9th. It'll be at he Starplex Cinemas Movie 8, the second run theatre just off I-5 across from The Commons. He's gotta sell 60 tickets for the movie to get played and it's also a fundraiser for the Washington State Coalition Against Domestic Violence, so bring all your friends. http://www.tugg.com/events/8322

Sanschel
Aug 9, 2002

Len posted:

They get The Boys back.

So what you're saying is, The Boys are back in town :haw:

Sanschel
Aug 9, 2002

I celebrated by finally getting my pre-order in for this gorgeous monstrosity:

Happy Birthday, you big lug!

Sanschel
Aug 9, 2002

Lurdiak posted:

That cartoon had no right to look as good as it did.

Keith David also has a tendency to improve things.

Sanschel
Aug 9, 2002

Aphrodite posted:

Me too. He killed a pedophile posing as an ice cream truck driver. Stabbed him with popsicles.

I read that one, and several years later one where a little kid is exploded into meat chunks and reforms as an adult male in superhero armor adorned with crosses. Redeemer, I think?

Sanschel
Aug 9, 2002

Waterhaul posted:

Please make it a recurring BSS thing where people keep addressing comic creators by the wrong name.

On Friday I was rushing to the gaming room and knocked into who I thought was Brandon Graham before mumbling an apology and dashing off, only to be corrected by my friend that it was Matt Fraction. Does that count?

And Seven Soldiers was dope, I've never read a story that rewarded knowledge of obscure 1960s JSA comics like that one.

Sanschel fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Mar 31, 2014

Sanschel
Aug 9, 2002

Skwirl posted:

Nah, he probably practiced a bunch and can do it automatically. He gets a warehouse, every time he draws one he sets it on fire and his super-senses can tell how straight the letters are by the heat pattern, practices until it's perfect.

He then inadvertently bolsters Kingpin's business with a rash of slum warehouse fires that victims of Fisk's extortion rackets mistake for warnings and double their payments.

Sanschel
Aug 9, 2002

Man, Fletcher Hanks' work was creepy enough when he was alive, I don't want to know what evil space zombie Fletcher Hanks might come up with.

Sanschel
Aug 9, 2002

Ask about the Man-Thing movie and start berating them when they snicker at the term Man-Thing.

Man-Thing :laugh:

Sanschel
Aug 9, 2002

This was certainly the most I've ever spent on a single FCBD. The store I went to had it limited to only 3 books per person, and sadly they were already out of Atomic Robo, though I did at least get Tick. Their FCBD sales are phenomenal though; I wound up spending $300 on books, games, and figures that would've cost me close to $600 any other day of the year, and I was happy to part with it. It was great to see them cater to and have as many kids as were there, too; free cookies, face painting, an ice cream truck, and loads of free buttons, they were hard selling geekdom to the youngsters and it seemed to be a success.

Sanschel
Aug 9, 2002

JSA Omnibus vol. 1 arrived today. It's a little bigger than I was expecting.

:stare:

Sanschel
Aug 9, 2002

mr.capps posted:

My favorite dumb Marvel cartoon thing is still that episode of Spidey friends were Dracula hypnotizes Firestar and the Wolf Man was his chauffeur.

Noting beats Reed beating Magneto with a wooden gun. No amount of swamp boats made of webbing, Peter being sent to Counter Earth, surfer Iron Fist, or Century can ever top it. :colbert:

Sanschel
Aug 9, 2002

I used to hang out in the store for hours but my best friend was always manning the counter and he was happy to have the company. I'd never just loiter unwantedly in a complete stranger's store for over a quarter of a day.

Sanschel
Aug 9, 2002

Happy America Day, comic goons, regardless of your country of origin. May both your hearts stay strong. :patriot:

Sanschel
Aug 9, 2002

Skwirl posted:

Truth be told, for a place with 50 states, it's a shocking minority of them that are worth a drat in the USA.

Meanwhile Washington's first legal pot store opened today. They ran out of pot. We'll totally get some more, though, just...just give us a bit :350:

Sanschel
Aug 9, 2002

I remember like one or two people who were adamant that Sue Dibny was the murderer and everybody else called bullshit that even for as much of a hack as Meltzer was he wouldn't pull out a reveal that stupid :allears:

Sanschel fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Jul 15, 2014

Sanschel
Aug 9, 2002

Senor Candle posted:

I think you mean Jean Loring?

Indeed.

Though honestly, if it weren't for Identity Crisis we wouldn't have gotten 52 which is overall one of my favorite event-ish books, let alone gotten so many people interested in comics again. I just wish somebody actually went somewhere with Ralph & Sue Dibny: Ghost Detectives.

Sanschel
Aug 9, 2002

Metal Loaf posted:

Do they feel that the murder mystery aspect makes internal sense based on the information presented?

Are you implying that people don't just carry around flamethrowers everywhere?

Sanschel
Aug 9, 2002

Madkal posted:

Hermanos was my first mod. What was BSS like before him?

In the time before time, before the rise of Hermanos, there was a man who modded this forum by the name of CapnAndy. We do not speak of those days.

Sanschel
Aug 9, 2002

Rhyno posted:

OMGWTFBGG was the first and best mod.

And CapnAndy is a cool dude, he just got power hungry as a mod. It happens.

I don't speak of it because I don't actually remember much of it. I know CapnAndy probated me a couple times but I was probably being an idiot and he's nothing but cool beans nowadays. I couldn't have even told you omgwtfbbq used to mod.

Sanschel
Aug 9, 2002

My cat is peeing blood :(

BSS: Terrible feline urinary issue support group

Sanschel
Aug 9, 2002

Sentinel Red posted:

Whoever Stone Jones is, they should get their own film on the strength of their name alone.

He's rock solid!

Sanschel
Aug 9, 2002

Rhyno posted:

Of course it does.

Where else would Superboy Prime spend his days.

Sanschel
Aug 9, 2002

Chip Zdarsky wasn't invited to the Toronto Fan Expo, so he made his own one-man (technically two-man) convention across the street: http://comicsalliance.com/zdarscon-chip-zdarsky-sex-criminals-toronto-convention-interview/

He is seriously one of my favorite creators right now, yet I've never actually read anything he's created.

Sanschel
Aug 9, 2002

I don't know what the general consensus is but I enjoyed Deadpool MAX, even though it's just (sometimes literally) toilet humor.

Sanschel
Aug 9, 2002

If loving Cockroach Hamilton is wrong, I don't want to be right!!

Sanschel
Aug 9, 2002

Lurdiak posted:

Update: someone stole my candy bag that I was bringing to a party to share the candy surplus. That was like 40 bucks of candy, I am so pissed.

Where did they steal it from?

Sanschel
Aug 9, 2002

Due to a recent Flash-related HeroClix release, I've been reacquainting myself with some of his enemies via wikis and I've come across my favorite addition to any wiki so far, on the Double Down page:

quote:

Double Down often uses puns related to gambling, in much the same manner a Silver Age gimmick villain or a huge jerk would.

Sanschel
Aug 9, 2002

My uncle pulls that poo poo, I've learned to just ignore him. This Christmas alone I've learned that:

Drax in the Guardians movie is blue and not dark green
The characters in Guardians were created for the movie, except Ronan, who used to be white
The Kree were originally dudes who looked like Green Goblin if he only wore speedos, not the Badoon
Soldier with Kurt Russell isn't a movie, I was thinking of Universal Soldier with Van Damme. My bad
Edge of Tomorrow was not based on a manga

Merry Christmas :sassargh:

Sanschel
Aug 9, 2002

SirDan3k posted:

He was right, it was based on a Light Novel. Enjoy your stockings full of coal.

I was unaware of that, though I should clarify that his point was Edge of Tomorrow was a wholly original story not based on any existing property.

Sanschel
Aug 9, 2002

It took a while to find it's feet in the first season but it's a solid show. Quality scene-chewing by the likes of Bill Paxton and Kyle McLaughlin have made it quite endearing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sanschel
Aug 9, 2002

zoux posted:

The Flash does the salmon ladder in Arrow s3

Vibe attempts the salmon ladder in Arrow s3

• Locked thread