Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shawn
Feb 6, 2003

I yiffed two people at once and all I got was laughed at.

Action Tortoise posted:

Anyone here ever use Midtown Comics? I went to my local shop today but they didn't have the latest issue I was looking for and it takes forever to go there and back so I'd rather order it than waste the gas next time. I don't think I'll go for a Pull List just yet. Maybe an issue or two and go from there.

I did a month using the pull list subscription but then found out that if you use the previews order system you get 35% off, so I cancelled the pulls and started using that. I'm spending a significant amount less on comics, but shipping is a little slow to the west coast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shawn
Feb 6, 2003

We posting shelves in this thread?

Waiting to get some Guy Gardner: Warrior binds back from the book binder.

Shawn
Feb 6, 2003

Rhyno posted:

I can't wait to see this. What outside material did you include?

Just started with Guy Gardner Reborn and included crossover issues, The JLI the trouble with Guys issues, The GL issues from Emerald Fallout and the Major Force storyline and all the issues from Way of the Warrior. I have the superman appearances with eradicator, but didn't feel like hassling with every single guy appearance. I may do a zero trade with the Crisis issues of GLC and the early issues of the early 90s series, like a Guy and his Gnort and the issue where Hal breaks Guy's ring.

Shawn
Feb 6, 2003

redbackground posted:

What are your custom binds on the top shelf?

Quasar and Young Justice. My favorite books as a kid.

I'll post pictures of them in the hardcover thread in a little bit.

Shawn
Feb 6, 2003

To be fair that's what I do through Midtown online. But they give a pretty hefty discount for doing that. About 30%.

Shawn
Feb 6, 2003

DressCodeBlue posted:

Hey, does anyone know if the plastic used to bag comics can stand up to 140ish degrees Fahrenheit? I'm getting my apartment heat treated for bed bugs next week (thank you pack of dudebros next door who didn't initially tell me about their infestation until after they treated their place, pushing them over to mine), and I'm trying to figure out what to do with my funnybooks. :ohdear:

If it'll melt all over them, I'm just gonna take the books out and trash the plastic. Only reason I even have them bagged/boarded was I got the supplies for free.

I live in a place that hits 120 a couple times a year. I've never had a problem, but I think the places down here that do heat treatment go significantly hotter than that. 140 might make the plastic soft, but i doubt it would melt it, but if they are giving you a low estimate of how hot it will get i wouldn't chance it. Also, it depends on how long they will be heating it, if it's a few hours you should be good, but if it's 12-24 hours I dunno.

Shawn
Feb 6, 2003

The hosed up thing is if he didn't know what he had he probably stole it. In the past I know you've helped dudes out, but it seems like when it benefitted you, you took advantage of it.

I have no problem being dicks to dicks, but it seems like he got exactly what he wanted.

^^^ He tried to quit, I remember that. A bunch of people here told him to stay, I don't know if that factored into his staying.

Shawn fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Apr 20, 2014

Shawn
Feb 6, 2003

How the gently caress do you not know you have a variant cover that wasn't super easy to find. If it was anything like the Jim Lee action comics #1 variant I found it was either expensive in the first place or a very lucky find... I don't buy that, I could buy him not knowing that Batman #1 was highly sought after because it's high price is anomalous for Nu52 #1s, but not having a variant. Who buys variants that isn't obsessed with speculation?

Shawn
Feb 6, 2003

The owner of my LCS doesn't read comics, doesn't read or follow comic news and gets orders wrong every month. So I have phased down to basically 2-3 books that don't come out on a regular schedule and I don't have the memory to follow up on (bss' own atomic robo and the tick) otherwise I order my own books from midtown. I'd switch to digital and trade if not for the ridiculous price point for digital. I would buy digital all day every day at 1.99.

Shawn
Feb 6, 2003

Gaz-L posted:

Did he ever get his copy of Action #1 back?

He got the insurance money on it. They found it a couple years later, but he decided to keep the money so the insurance company auctioned it. I think his copy was the last copy sold that broke a record.

Shawn
Feb 6, 2003

Is Lost Dogs generally not liked. It's my favorite of Lemire's work, but I never see it recommended.

Shawn
Feb 6, 2003

We have Benito, Brian, Chris Hastings, and Chris Onstad and they actually contribute poo poo to threads.

We used to have John Rodgers, Gail Simone, Warren Ellis, and that guy who wrote Sonic.

Why do I give a poo poo about some lurker who doesn't contribute poo poo and their opinion of CapnAndy.

I call bullshit just on the fact that there is no loving writer that BSS can agree about 99% of their work on. Nobody agrees on poo poo here. We can't agree that 99% of Stan Lee or Jack Kirby's output is great.

I think the only thing we agree on is that Gavok is best rookie poster '05.

Shawn
Feb 6, 2003

I'm assuming any writer would be completely incapable of modesty without just not posting. I still think it's a fair assumption.

Shawn
Feb 6, 2003

I was going to ask if DKSA was worth reading if I liked Sin City, but then I realized it's 3 issues and I could have it read by the time anyone responded. How valuable is my time that I need someone to convince me to read 3 comic books.

Shawn
Feb 6, 2003

Man, that is a poo poo show. But, people like that get what's coming to them. In the end her death will be celebrated by no one, while I'm sure he was very loved.

I agree that framing the signed books and giving them out sounds like a great idea, maybe with a little plaque.

Shawn
Feb 6, 2003

enigmahfc posted:

Yeah, it seems my timing to ask something is about as good as a loud fart during an expensive wedding, but still going to ask:

What's the best comic book management/database app for Android? I'm tired of being one of those goobers who has to refer to a SHEET OF PAPER (gasp!) when digging through boxes at cons and shops.
So this doesn't get lost:

I use a google doc spreadsheet for books I'm missing or want, that way I can access it from anything with internet. Plus it's free, but probably not at all what you are looking for.

Shawn
Feb 6, 2003

That IS weird timing, last weekend I found a stack of them in my garage and took them to work. I think I got them at big lots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shawn
Feb 6, 2003

Why would you continue to engage a guy like that when he's clearly illogical? As soon as I figure out I can't change someone's mind I hit the ejector seat on the conversation, "Ok, they're the same guy, sorry for trying to trick you! Let me know if you want your zenoscope comics bagged and boarded."

• Locked thread