Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

bobkatt013 posted:

Well goodbye Dark Horse

They're not worried. The single best selling DH comic ever was Buffy Season 8 #1. They'll survive just fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Decius posted:

Until all the Whedon stuff moves to Marvel too. Wouldn't surprise me much.

Doubt it. Joss doesn't own Buffy, Angel or Firefly.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Jesus Christ. Dark Horse isn't going anywhere. Star Wars isn't even 10% of their output these days and they publish new projects every month.

Sin City, Hellboy, Alien, Buffy, Mass Effect, The Strain (soon to be a show). Hell they have Halo now. Gerard Way's Killjoys and other work are staples of DH. The new Tomb Raider is there, they have Terminator, loving CONAN, in addition to their extensive series of classic reprints.

Everyone at DH knew this was coming the second Disney purchased Lucasfilm. They've been preparing for this for months. Yeah it will hurt them but they're not going anywhere.

Rhyno fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Jan 5, 2014

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Don't be too worried by that, FE is contained in the main series,a couple of minis and only three series are directly connected: JL, JLA and supposedly, Nightwing. If you were interested on one of those you're utterly hosed though :v:

There's also ToS Pandora, ToS Phantom Stranger, Constantine and 4 FE minis that DC swears are essential to the whole mess.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I sure am glad we still call the previous Nova "Dick Ryder", that joke is never going to get old!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Coffin Hill is legit good.

That's all I have to say about Vertigo these days. I bet those stupid V boxed sets with the masks make them a decent about of scratch considering how many we sell.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

CapnAndy posted:

Rhyno what did you do this time :(

I'm a pretty princess.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Zeike posted:

Couldnt find a thread for this so Ill ask here. What kind of sleeves do you recommend for trading cards? I have a bunch from ages ago and never used sleeves. Id like them to be totally closed though(prefer single over those sheets).

Ultra Pro makes basic "penny sleeves" in packs of 100 for 80-99 cents.

In other news, I intercepted stolen comics today. These sketchy dude's brought in three boxes and they had no idea what they had. Kept talking about how the bagged ones had never been opened, never touched blah blah. Then I recognized the boxes. A former employee of the store was robbed a month ago and had posted pictures of the aftermath. The boxes in the pictures were decorated with clippings from Previews, same as the boxes in front of me. So I stalled the guys for a bit, sent out a few messages while pretending to look stuff up on ebay. Got no response and by luck UPS arrived so I told the shifty dudes that I had a time sensitive shipment to work on and asked if they could come back tomorrow. And in a testament to their stupidity they said it was cool if I worked on it tonight, they'd leave the boxes and come back tomorrow. We contacted the owners and they came in, IDed the boxes and he was even able to tell me what was in each box. So the cops came, we did the report and they'll be waiting for the call tomorrow morning so we can catch these assholes.

So I'm now going in to open with the boss and hoping to spring the trap.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

McSpanky posted:

That loving rules, way to go on a comic book sting.

The only bad thing is this just 3 boxes out of a dozen or more that were stolen. Plus he won't actually get them back if we get these guys. Conservatively there's $2000 worth of comics in these boxes (first Deadpool, Secret Wars #8, first Gambit etc) so they'll get grand theft which means this stuff will be documented evidence. On the plus side, they're pretty sure these are their former neighbors so it might prompt a warrant, hopefully the rest of the stuff is still around.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Action Tortoise posted:

Anyone here ever use Midtown Comics? I went to my local shop today but they didn't have the latest issue I was looking for and it takes forever to go there and back so I'd rather order it than waste the gas next time. I don't think I'll go for a Pull List just yet. Maybe an issue or two and go from there.

I prefer Lonestar's https://mycomicshop.com.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Senor Candle posted:

http://www.dcbservice.com has normally 40% off if you pre order and have specials for 50% off certain books each month. Full disclosure though I'm friends with a bunch of people who work there so I might be a little biased. They're super rad. :cool:

Do you live in Fort Wayne?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Senor Candle posted:

Yeah I bought one of those X-Statix omnis from you last summer.

Ha! I have a good memory.

Shame Zack left the company, their customer service has suffered a bit since then.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Are you kidding? Dynamite fucks up nearly every licensed property they get their hands on.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Casey's Wildcats run was one of my all-time favorite runs on any comic.

I'm still bummed that he didn't get to do the final year of 3.0.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Mr. Maltose posted:

No, no. That was his 616 X-book, which was trash. His ULTIMATE X-Men run, on the other hand, was surprisingly competent for being an Austen book.

I don't remember him writing more than 2 issues of UXM, the Gambit 2 parter?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
God drat do you read some bad comics.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

GorfZaplen posted:

John Byrne looks like he's about to cry.

Because he knows his career is over.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

I'm late to the buy chat but I buy few books these days:

Larfleeze
Batman
Lil' Gotham
Scribblenauts Unmasked
Nightwing
Red Hood x3 :v:

You paid cash for that? Yikes.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Senor Candle posted:

I don't know where you are traveling from but if you are coming anywhere near Fort Wayne, IN you should stop by. We have DCBS which has just about every trade that's in print discounted at ~35%, Rhyno's store Clemm's Collectibles, and Books Comics & Things which has a pretty decent back catalog.

Woooooooo.

BCTs staff are a bunch of cocks!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
drat it, I saw that last night and forgot to post it.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The hat on mine is getting repainted yellow.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I have a TMNT mega thread half put together but I don't know if there's enough people actually reading the book to warrant a whole thread.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Well, maybe I'll polish it up. I'm about 6 months behind on the ongoing. Gimme a day or two.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Anything Michael Zulli is worth owning. I'm trolling Google for some good images for the thread, gonna try to get it up tonight.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I need a thread title, gimmie something witty guys.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

redbackground posted:

No No No, I Said We Needed A TMNT Megathread, not Metalhead!

I love it!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Metal Loaf posted:

Um... how about "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Heroes in a Half-Thread"?

No, that's not very good.

That's actually what I had typed up. I scrapped my stupid write up of every era, that's what Wiki is for.
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3605816

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Ghostlight posted:

How was Teenage Mutant Ninja Thread not the first suggestion?

Also considered, I think that was the name of the old thread.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Yes, let's go down that road.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Gatts posted:

Kirby? Simonson? Like...what?

And John Byrne & Tony Daniel!

Oh wait.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
At least Jim Lee admitted he couldn't write for poo poo and hired somebody to help him on Wildcats.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

StumblyWumbly posted:

Sometimes people have two talents.
Sometimes, they have one.

And sometimes they are Whilce Portacio.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Sanschel posted:

Wasn't there a goon run proto-BSS around the time Identity Crisis came out? I remember GBS getting flooded with comic threads and that offsite forum failed to divert the threads enough so BSS was created.

I have no memory of this. I went to work one night and when I got home 8 hours later BSS existed.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

CapnAndy posted:

I don't remember anything offsite besides the IRC room either. We just flooded GBS until the admins got fed up.

I'm still pissed about the Identity Crisis Avatar debacle. You dicks should have waited for me!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Rhyno posted:

In other news, I intercepted stolen comics today. These sketchy dude's brought in three boxes and they had no idea what they had. Kept talking about how the bagged ones had never been opened, never touched blah blah. Then I recognized the boxes. A former employee of the store was robbed a month ago and had posted pictures of the aftermath. The boxes in the pictures were decorated with clippings from Previews, same as the boxes in front of me. So I stalled the guys for a bit, sent out a few messages while pretending to look stuff up on ebay. Got no response and by luck UPS arrived so I told the shifty dudes that I had a time sensitive shipment to work on and asked if they could come back tomorrow. And in a testament to their stupidity they said it was cool if I worked on it tonight, they'd leave the boxes and come back tomorrow. We contacted the owners and they came in, IDed the boxes and he was even able to tell me what was in each box. So the cops came, we did the report and they'll be waiting for the call tomorrow morning so we can catch these assholes.

So I'm now going in to open with the boss and hoping to spring the trap.

A fellow Goon and FB friend asked me about this just now, the story has a happy ending.

The guys came back the next morning, we called the police and they were detained. They are still in custody and have changed their story about 8 times. They currently claim to be homeless, the police figure they have tons of stolen poo poo at their home. Only one of them had ID and it was 3 years old so the address was out of date. My friends go their comics back, all is well.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

WickedHate posted:

I wanted to take this to PMs, but can't so I'll just say it here. Thank you for taking things so gracefully and not being run off after the five billionth "Hahaha Dark_Tzitzimine" post. As bad as your tastes are, you're a good addition to BSS, and I think you're pretty cool on a personal level for putting up with all that and not running off in a huff.

Now if we could just get rid of ^burtle somehow...

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

redbackground posted:

Jack Kirby died 20 years ago today, so when you have a half-hour free:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QbDtGwKJnFk

Also, lookit what I found today!

You're a son of a bitch. Where'd you score that?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Lurdiak posted:

So does anyone in the know want to explain these panels to me?

Because, to the untrained eye, it looks like an old Superman making out with a 14-year old (at most) girl.

John Byrne.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Balls. Those two are responsible for my favorite comics of the last decade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Shawn posted:

Waiting to get some Guy Gardner: Warrior binds back from the book binder.

I can't wait to see this. What outside material did you include?

• Locked thread