Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
I cannot wait for the Expanded Universe to get loving dynamited into dust and never spoken of again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
God drat it why aren't they making a hundred more Young Avengers.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Rhyno what did you do this time :(

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

When Kirkman doesn't let his innate Kirkman bullshit overwhelm everything with gratuitous violence and bullshit deaths, it's still a fun young superhero story that revels in the freedom of being in its own universe, allowing for actual status quo changes.

And then, y'know... Kirkman tries to get up hype by going BWAHAHAHA IMMA KILL A BUNCH OF PEOPLE AIN'T THAT FUKKEN SHOCKING

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

fatherboxx posted:

Also, vol.1 had Invisible Man on a molesting holiday in a girls school in his introduction scene.
Which was at least funny as hell, because the whole thing was a sharp parody of cheap "one night in a girl's school" stroke-books.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

A Study in Emerald is brilliant and everyone should read it. And oh look, you can.

Stephen King has two very good Lovecraft pastiches himself. Jerusalem's Lot (not Salem's Lot, the novel, this is the short story) uses the epistolary style and period settings that Lovecraft liked, and Crouch End is a modern piece that doesn't keep the style but absolutely is true to the spirit. Jerusalem's Lot is pretty good, but Crouch End is great. It's horrifying and unsettling and King keeps all his usual instincts in check and refuses to show you a god damned monster, any monster at all for gently caress's sake. He keeps them completely out of sight and all the scarier for it. There's also 1408, which isn't a direct Lovecraft homage like the other two, but has its heart in the right place.

CapnAndy fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Jan 15, 2014

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Waterhaul posted:

Well it was less the dullness and more let's try and drastically change the status quo with the main character being possessed while simultaneously trying to drag Elektra: Assassin down with it.
For me it was more that they seemed to really expect the reader to take killing Bullseye as some horrible can't-come-back-from-that fall to evil instead of, y'know, pure justice and something that really should have been done years ago. I mean, in that very book they take great pains to show you that no jail can hold Bullseye and as soon as he breaks out -- which is trivially easy -- he starts killing innocents again. And I'm supposed to react to his death with anything besides an attaboy?

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Madkal posted:

I wonder how people would react if the Joker died.
"He'll be back."

To build off what TwoPair says, Joker is also crucial to Batman in ways that Bullseye isn't to Daredevil, and he's a billion times more popular. There's absolutely zero chance he'd stay dead; Bullseye staying down wasn't likely but it could have happened and eventually someone else woulda just started calling themselves Bullseye or whatever.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Senor Candle posted:

I was just flipping through previews and I thought this was important.
I need one of these. Very badly.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

I don't remember anything offsite besides the IRC room either. We just flooded GBS until the admins got fed up.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Gatts posted:

Is Fairest any good? I never bothered to read Fables.
I read Fables and I still got bored halfway into the first arc of Fairest and dropped it.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Literally The Worst posted:

Superman also couldn't beat the Enterprise.
In Heroclix, Kirk has a better than even chance of punching out the Enterprise.

It's a fun game.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Madkal posted:

Question. Can Superman breathe in space?
No, but he can hold his breath for a hecka long time.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Sarchasm posted:

Losing 50% of any society will probably throw things into chaos, sex of the bereaved be damned. I don't remember anything particularly sexist about Y: The Last Man's vision of a post-apocalyptic earth.
Losing 50% of any society would be an unspeakable calamity. Losing an entire gender, from every species, is beyond apocalyptic. If nobody can breed, life is loving done, game over, pack it in. They should be going through some Children of Men type poo poo, not the relatively cosy upheaval that Y actually portrays.

If anything, Y portrays women unrealistically well. Actual human beings in that situation would burn poo poo down.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Oracle posted:

Except its quite possible to combine the DNA from two eggs and get a viable (if always female) offspring. So no, life is not loving done, though male life is. And similar experiments have been performed since the 70s, so there's not even the 'well that happened since the book came out' excuse, either. I am also not a geneticist or any kind of scientist and I knew about it, so neither is that an excuse.
Some experiments, a what-if book, and a mouse are hardly a replacement for all the natural breeding of every mammalian species on Earth, dude.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Senor Candle posted:

Are you arguing that cloning is not a viable method of survival in regards to Y the Last Man?
Yes, actually. And I'm especially arguing that society as a whole wouldn't react with Y's oddly blase "let's have a few upheavals but basically carry on like nothing's changed while we wait for some First World scientist to maybe figure this poo poo out in a few loving decades".

Look, just off the top of my head and a few minutes on Google, good luck getting a cow pregnant after it's 10 years old. Which means that after XY-day, you've got a hard 10 year clock on figuring out perfect cattle cloning, getting the massive Brave New World cloning complexes up, training all the people you need to run them, and starting production, oh and while you were doing that, thousands upon thousands of species went extinct and the entire ecosystem collapses anyway. There's no loving way you can clone the millions of copies of the millions of species you need to save, not in time, and Y's "oh yeah um 40 years later we've got like five or six dudes, that's good enough right" is beyond ridiculous. No, it's really not, and explain to me again how human civilization looked at extremely likely extinction, with a massive die-off as the best case scenario, and just shrugged its shoulders and made the architecture less phallic? Because I don't believe it.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Alien Rope Burn posted:

But is it worth reading?

I haven't gotten past the first story arc, and that was... like... when it came out.
Some people like it? The science pisses me off badly enough that I can't see past it; the book tries to ground itself in being real-world (BKV just loooooves to shoehorn in the statistics he learned doing research for each story) and, in my opinion, that makes it all the worse when the time comes for answers about the plague and they turn out to be rooted in the worst sort of discredited psuedo-science and general bullshit. I would have been much happier with A Wizard Did It, That's Also Why Nothing's Going Extinct, Magic, Shut Up.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

theflyingorc posted:

I'm pretty sure all the mammals go extinct, dude. They specifically discuss how it has been long enough that a specific species is gone now. (pygmy shrews or something?)
There's also a moment later on when someone sees a rat or something and mentions how they should have gone extinct by now, but didn't, because LIFE FINDS A WAY whatever that's why the ecosystem hasn't collapsed and mass starvation isn't an issue everybody look over there now.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

theflyingorc posted:

edit: I feel like most entire ecosystems aren't mammal-dependent. There would obviously be cascading extinctions, but I feel like "nature" as a whole would do reasonably well without 'em. And again, fishing would still be really viable.
Okay, yeah, "nature" as a whole would make it in some form or another, but the mammals would be loving gone; the utopia of the epilogue's time-jump is wholly unbelievable. And we're overfishing species into extinction now, how viable would it really be if we were down to fish or soy for all our protein?

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Rhyno posted:

No but because of the morphgenetic field thing they all turned gay.
That's the loving phrase they used, oh yeah.

Bonus points for BKV pinning the explanation for the plague on the "proven fact" that you should go to sleep early and do your homework in the morning, because all your classmates have done the homework and you've absorbed that knowledge through the morphogenetic field, so it will be easier.

Oh, and the plague radiated out from Dr. Mann's father's labratory at the speed of light, therefore proving that it was the radius of the whole thing. It takes light less than a seventh of a second to circumnavigate the globe, but they have results that scrupulously accurate because __________

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

I feel like any group raging that indiscriminately is gonna make it about three meetings and then fall under the sway of the Joker.

So basically, yeah, bring on the concept album.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Rhyno posted:

Yes, let's encourage comic writers into thinking that they can rap.

Orrr perhaps find a rapper or two who already likes comic books?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TFkjtw35dUw

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Waterhaul posted:

And all that aside, even if Campbell was the next Milo Manara, which he sure as hell ain't, neither belong on Marvel books.
Manara would be amazing on a Marvel book if he could keep up the page rate.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Sturm posted:

Where do you guys go for comic book news? Or are most of the sites pretty terrible?
Comics Alliance or here.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Die Laughing posted:

Were Jonah Hill and Emma Stone obvious choices for the new Ghostbusters? I guess there isn't too much competition, huh?
Until an actual movie studio or an actor actually says something about Ghostbusters 3, all the information on it is just Dan Akroyd rambling like a crazy person and any casting news is the favorite actors of the guy writing fanfic disguised as a rumors article.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Waterhaul posted:

Yeah but Waid is the only person that cares for the Legion and doesn't post here. :v:
Me. You. Outside. Bare knuckles. Let's go.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

zoux posted:

I think the lack of gravity-based superpowers in comic books is because there just aren't any good names for someone with gravity powers. Graviton? C'mon.
If I had gravity powers I would name myself whatever the hell I wanted, like Firestarter or something. And then if anyone gave me poo poo about my name not matching my powers, I would throw them into the sun, because I control gravity, gently caress you.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Edge & Christian posted:

Avengers I Will Vehemently Defend as Good Characters Who Are Often Handled Poorly:

Starfox
I gotta hear this one.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Edge & Christian posted:

He's Thanos's peacenik brother who has the power of GOOD VIBES and fights injustice by encouraging everyone to be excellent to each other. And he could kick your rear end, he's basically a God, but he'd much much rather remind you of how awesome sunsets are and how every moment with your children is precious.
I still sorta hate that guy, though? And by his very nature you've got to compare him to Thanos, and... not a good comparison for Starfox.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Mr. Maltose posted:

I mean, it's nice that Thanos literally has a brother that exists as (and is actually named) Eros, but the love of life and desire to construct and be productive does not a good superhero make.
Basically that. If you're gonna be a superhero I'm setting the bar higher than "well, I can show up and make everybody happy and talk to you about peace and love and universal brotherhood", and much moreso for an Avenger. And I feel like if Thanos' brother is gonna be a superhero it's not exactly pushing the bounds of story structure to expect him to be a match for Thanos, not just one of the many C-listers Thanos would chump in a splash panel before the big guns showed up.

Also Edge you and me are gonna have some words about the charisma of Cody Rhodes and whether or not he's better than his brother (hint: yes he is).

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Mr. Maltose posted:

Fear Itself is probably the most editorially driven of the recent Marvel Megavents, which is ironic because it is also the most terrible.
Quick reminder that Age Of Ultron happened.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

I used to like Land, but I also maintain that Land used to be better and has gotten incredibly lazy over the years. I mean, look at this poo poo.

It's Land, you can tell that. It's cheesecakey and that last panel has the girl-running-hands-through-her-hair reference he's going to come to love so very much. But there's also clearly been effort put into it, there's personality, it's not flat, all the facial expressions are right. This is art done with photo references, not the tracing he'll devolve into.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Rhyno posted:

How many lies can we count in this?
I count "glad you like our array of comics", "go to dccomics.com to learn how to download our digital comics" (I went there and even clicked on shop -> shop dc comics, it took me to a page full of statues for sale, you have to click on comics and then click on the specific comic you want and then click buy and then click the option to buy it digitally, it's incredibly buried), "Marvel has many distributors for their films, that's why they're putting out multiple movies a year to our zero", I'd slap a big fat CITATION NEEDED on that thing about their movies exceeding Marvel's in sales, seeing as how Avengers by itself made a literal billion dollars, "we have many different celebrations honoring Superman's 75th anniversary", "we like all our superheroes equally", and "thank you for writing to us". So 6, possibly 7.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

I'm seriously hung up on that claim that their movies have made more money than Marvel's. The Superman franchise has made $807 million, Batman has made $1.897 billion (wow!), and then the incidentals I could think of -- Supergirl, Green Lantern, Watchmen, Constantine, and League of Extraordinary Gentlemen -- made $378 million. $3.082 billion overall, not bad.

The Iron Man movies have made $1.039 billion, Thor has made $387 million, Hulk has made $266 million, Captain America made $176 million, and Avengers made $623 million. $2.491 billion. So yeah, if you limit it to only MCU movies, DC has the edge. A slight edge that'll be gone by the end of 2015, but still.

But DC specifically brought other distributors into it. So... the X-Men have made $1.062 billion, Spider-Man $1.374 billion, Fantastic Four $285 million, Blade $204 million, and Daredevil $106 million, for a grand total of $5.528 billion dollars and DC shutting the gently caress up.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Senor Candle posted:

I'm pretty sure they include their animated movies in there too.
I only totalled domestic box office, not adjusted for inflation. Anyone who wants to find out what sort of revenues home releases brought in is more than welcome to.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

The Green Lantern movie got a Rot Lop Fan action figure made and we must always be grateful for that.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Rhyno posted:

And you can have him for like $4 at TRU!

Seriously, I think I have a picture of the half dozen of them sitting in the clearance section. Ollie's Discount Outlet had over 20 of them as well.
Oh I don't loving want one, he's wearing the ugly-rear end movie uniform.

I just think it's cool they made one.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

I've consistently maintained that Green Lantern is two good movies stitched together into a Frankensteinian abomination.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Hal trying to play Mysterious Superhero Saves Damsel In Distress, Visits Her Later and Carol just having absolutely no part of that trite bullshit is the movie's one redeeming feature.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

prefect posted:

They should have made it like Powers, where there are always superpeople involved in whatever they're dealing with, even if they're not the on-screen focus of attention.
Yeah, I never wanted it to be about superheroes. What I wanted was the guys dealing with all the poo poo the superheroes leave behind; neutralizing rogue Chitari tech, taking down Mandarin/AIM cells that Tony Stark never even bothered to look for, hitting a Cult of Loki that had sprung up, stuff like that.

• Locked thread